Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Piso Mojado

So I have relocated to San Diego from STL this week and have a month of airbnb's in different neighborhoods while I look for a place to live. I've been here two days and my current airbnb experience has been insane. So insane that I figure it will be interesting to document the experience for you all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piso Mojado

The story so far....

Airbnb 1: La Jolla.

I arrived late Sunday night, and things felt really weird as soon as I pulled up. First off, the neighborhood is gorgeous and rich, but there are signs up in every yard asking to STOP all vacation rentals, and presumable airbnb's. When I pulled up, I called the guy, we'll call him "Joel". He didn't answer, so I got a few things together and just walked up to the door and knocked. Joel answered the door, blazed as all hell, he seemed really out of it. I have known several people with opioid and heroin addiction before, and it kinda reminded me of that. But I was exhausted from driving cross country and camping in the desert, and just wanted a bed to sleep on, so I didn't think twice about it.

As soon as I walked in, I asked to use the restroom and when i came out, Joel was gone. Again, I just wanted to drink a beer and hit the sack so I grabbed all my stuff from my truck and started to move it in. Quickly I realized three things. First, there was no light in the room. This was a problem because I couldnt see anything. Second, there were no sheets on the bed (which was just a mattress on the floor), and third, the place was kinda a poo poo-hole. It was dirty, not disgusting, just dirty.

I looked for Joel for a while and couldnt find him, but right when I was about to say gently caress it and just lay out my sleeping bag, his girlfriend knocked. She was totally out of it. She apologized that there werent sheets on the bed and brought some in. I asked her what her name was and tried to make small talk with her. It turns out Joel doesn't own the place and neither does she. It is her parents and I guess they live there and have kind of trashed the place. Then she opened the garage so I could store my bike and then disapeared herself. I said gently caress it, and went to bed.

Next morning (yesterday) - I woke up early and went to the garage to get my bike. When I opened the garage, there was Joel sleeping on a sofa there in the same clothes he was wearing the night before. He had a burned out cigarette in one hand, and a glass one hitter in the other. I also noticed he had some foil on his lap, which set off some red flags. I woke him up, explained that I was taking my bike around town to look for places and that I still needed a key. I forgot to mention the lightbulb. Then we chatted for about 30 min and then I left.

I came back last night and only his gf was home. She seemed stoned and really nervous so I just went to bed. I have not seen either since.

Piso Mojado

Aside from that, everything has been really peachy. I went to a coffee house last night to look for apartments, and met a girl. We are going out tnite and she is going to be my tour guide. I already found a bike shop I really like and I am going to a baseball game tomorrow day with my new team from work. Hopefully I don't get murdered before then.

City of Glompton

:ohdear: stay safe!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

and

:f5:

Piso Mojado

dont worry. I dont think this is a dangerous situation, or I would have left. I will be moving on Friday to my next destination, and have already dropped off my personal valuables at work.

Robot Made of Meat

Good luck, stay safe, and keep us updated on any wackiness!

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

lmbo calrissian

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
I lived in La Jolla for 2 years and Hillcrest (mid-downtown) for 2 years. Any tips just hit me up!

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

Piso Mojado

lmbo calrissian posted:

I lived in La Jolla for 2 years and Hillcrest (mid-downtown) for 2 years. Any tips just hit me up!

dude, I totally will. I have lots of questions about things to do. thanks!

Yobgoblin

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Poway resident here. Willing to offer tips on parks with scenery, shops and restaurants that give you more bang for your buck.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Piso Mojado

current predicament:

FluffieDuckie

steal a lightbulb from somewhere else in the house

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

FluffieDuckie

also please take lots of pictures and send them to airbnb when you're free of that shithole to save the next unsuspecting traveler

Piso Mojado

FluffieDuckie posted:

steal a lightbulb from somewhere else in the house

I've already thought of this, but I wonder if there is some kind of electrical problem. :ohdear:

Piso Mojado

Update!

So looking around for a light bulb I found this on the kitchen counter.

There appears to be resin in the tube, but it is a plastic straw so I'm not so sure what's going on. I'm going to go back and smell it in a sec.

Yobgoblin

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Piso Mojado posted:

Update!

So looking around for a light bulb I found this on the kitchen counter.

There appears to be resin in the tube, but it is a plastic straw so I'm not so sure what's going on. I'm going to go back and smell it in a sec.

it's a heroin smoke tutor. used to smoke heroin or other drugs off foil.

----------------

Piso Mojado

hmmm. the plot thickens....

FluffieDuckie

i'm going to go out on a limb and say this might not be the best airbnb situation available

Piso Mojado

FluffieDuckie posted:

i'm going to go out on a limb and say this might not be the best airbnb situation available

to be fair, the view is amazing

Piso Mojado

I guess I'm going to get a hotel tnite

Yobgoblin

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
good

----------------

Uxzuigal

Chill Berserker Dude

FluffieDuckie posted:

I was about to take inspiration from this guy. I've got 4.5 stars on my AirBnB Room raiting, a heroin pipe and potentialy a hooker might just be what I need for :five: ?
(and like Mentioned before: my AirBnB room is free of charge to any active yobber).

<3 <3 Vanisher

deep dish peat moss

I'M GOnna AirBnB across the country next month so I'm excited to read the rest of this

deep dish peat moss

Uxzuigal posted:

I was about to take inspiration from this guy. I've got 4.5 stars on my AirBnB Room raiting, a heroin pipe and potentialy a hooker might just be what I need for :five: ?
(and like Mentioned before: my AirBnB room is free of charge to any active yobber).

Where do you live? Is there an Amtrak station there? I'm riding the rails...

Uxzuigal

Chill Berserker Dude

Shakill OReal posted:

Where do you live? Is there an Amtrak station there? I'm riding the rails...

Norway, no AmTrak :p
But if you ever come here... the offer stands!

<3 <3 Vanisher

Cinderful

I am at odds because I want the story to develop but also don't want you to die. You could get a motion detector and set it up so when they walk by it goes "ayyyy" followed by the sound of a laugh track.

Serious answer, stay with the coffee girl

alnilam

come crash with me in pixburgh, idk where "sam diego" is but it can't be that far can it

FluffieDuckie

hell he's closer to me and that's still 7 hours away

Piso Mojado

okay after a brief but high emotion exchange with the host, I am getting refunded the money. checking into a hotel now. whew...

Munchables

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Uxzuigal posted:

Norway, no AmTrak :p
But if you ever come here... the offer stands!

Someday, when I have money, I WILL take you up on that offer.

alnilam

take a breather at the rooftop yoga vegan sanctuary restaurant

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Piso Mojado posted:

okay after a brief but high emotion exchange with the host, I am getting refunded the money. checking into a hotel now. whew...

:)

alnilam

alnilam posted:

take a breather at the rooftop yoga vegan sanctuary restaurant

This is not a joke btw

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

alnilam posted:

This is not a joke btw

back in 2007 i got a room on craigslist for a month so i could do an undergraduate arch class and it was pretty horrifying but i chugged through, every day was uncovering something more horrifying in the college kid house was living in

:ohdear:

alnilam

well i mean like there's a vegan restaurant cafe yoga studio place on a rooftop in la jolla that is pretty cool and serene that's all I'm saying

alnilam

I don't believe they have beer there tough so never mind

Yobgoblin

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Piso Mojado posted:

Glad you got out of there. Some heroin users have a chance of bringing trouble back with them.

alnilam

piso how quickly can you get to pixburgh, i think there's a bus but you might have to transfer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

alnilam posted:

piso how quickly can you get to pixburgh, i think there's a bus but you might have to transfer

-have lightbulbs
-no heroin!*

*may have heroin

• Locked thread