Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Welcome to the Falling Sky Thread!

Falling Sky is the latest COIN by GMT Games and spotlights the Great Revolt: Caesar has already conquered Gaul, but a revolt is being created by the Arverni and their leader Vercingetorix. Alongside the Romans, the Aedui are trying to become filthy rich, while the Belgae are trying to kick the Romans out of Belgica with the help of their leader, Ambiorix and the Germanic tribes are trying to recreate their previous might after their crushing defeat.

Four goons will take each side:
StashAugustine - Romans
homullus - Aedui
COOL CORN - Arverni
Fat Samurai - Belgae

You can find the rules here. We are going to play the Reconquest of Gaul scenario (the one with a deck of 64 cards).

Current Map and Cards:

Current Card: Diviciacus Card 1/64
Druid priest and Aedui noble, Diviciacus was an official friend of Rome even before Caesar's arrival. He had pled emotionally to Caesar for clemency on behalf of his conspiratorial (and deadly rival) Dumnorix. probably out of concern for the impact that Dumnorix's avowed opposition might have on Aedui fortunes. Diviciacus was consistently in Caesar's camp throughout the revolts and, one suspects, a personal friend. He became the key interlocutor between Caesar and Roman-friendly Aedui. In the end, other Aedui leaders - perhaps fearing that the Great Revolt might succeed and leave the Aedui marginalised in a post-Roman withdrawal Gaul - overruled Diviciacus's personal loyalty, and the Aedui fought with Vercingetorix against Rome

Next Card: Avaricum Card 2/64
The Bituriges ("Kings of the World" in Celtic) had been the dominant nation among the Gauls in the past, and so their capital Avaricum (Bourges) may have had extra symbolic value. Caesar's impression of Avaricum upon his arrival there was as "a very large and well-fortified town ...and in a particularly fertile area of the territory". The Bituriges themselves appealed to Vercingetorix not to include the city in his program or devastation because it was "nearly the finest city in the whole of Gaul", and Vercingetorix accepted the argument. Avaricum's central locale in Celtica, moreover, almost certainly gave commercial as well as symbolic merit to the strenuous efforts that both sides in the Great Revolt made to possess it.

Situation:
Caesar is preparing to march north. Under the leadership of their new leader, Ambiorix, the Balgae have risen in revolt and are attempting to reclame Belgica. On the other hand, Caesar's friend Diviciacus, a noble and druid within the Aedui tribe, warns Caesar that the leader of the Arverni, Vercingetorix, is ready to rise in revolt, and claim back Celtica for the Gauls. Will Caesar listen to his warnings?

Action Queue:
-- homullus: 1st Eligible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

quote:

Gaul united,
Forming a single nation
Animated by a common spirit,
Can defy the Universe.

LET'S DO THIS

nomadotto
Oct 25, 2010

Body of a Penguin
Soul of a Hero
Mind of a Lazy, Easily Distracted, Waste of Space

In light of Brexit, I hope another nation can throw off the tyranny of Belgium.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Action Queue:
-- homullus: 1st Eligible

The brave Aedui will follow in the footsteps of their historical predecessors and Pass.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Aedui gain 1 resource!

Action Queue:
-- StashAugustine: 1st Eligible

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Recommended lecture.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Recruit Provincia, Nervii, Treveri, Remi placing max Auxilia. (Should cost 6 resources unless the Belgians mysteriously accept supply routes.)

Scout 2 (should be all) Aux from Remi-Morini, flip 2 to scout
Scout Nervii in place, flip 3 to scout
Scout Treverii in place, flip 2 to scout
Scout 3 Aux Provincia-Averni, flip 3 to scout

e: First off, can we see available forces? Second, how are Winter rules handled- are the decks seeded with the winter in the second half?

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 29, 2016

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Recruit Provincia, Nervii, Treveri, Remi placing max Auxilia. (Should cost 6 resources unless the Belgians mysteriously accept supply routes.)

Scout 2 (should be all) Aux from Remi-Morini, flip 2 to scout
Scout Nervii in place, flip 3 to scout
Scout Treverii in place, flip 2 to scout
Scout 3 Aux Provincia-Averni, flip 3 to scout

e: First off, can we see available forces? Second, how are Winter rules handled- are the decks seeded with the winter in the second half?
I'll keep a tally of available forces at the end of each post. Winter is handled this way: For each division of 16 cards, the first 10 cards are guaranteed not Winter, and then within the next 6 cards there is a winter.
So the sequence is 10 cards - 6 cards with a winter - 10 cards - 6 cards with a winter etc.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Also, keep in mind that you can't scout in Belgica because Caesar is too far away.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

rulebook posted:

4.2.2 Scout.
Scouting can move Auxilia, Reveal Hidden Warbands, and keep them Revealed longer. It may accompany any type of Command. Select any Regions with Auxilia (even if no Leader nearby).

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah, it means you can move them, but actually scouting out the warbands requires a leader.

quote:

Then, in any Regions desired that are within one Region of Caesar
or with his Successor in it, each Hidden Auxilia piece may flip to
Revealed in order to Reveal up to two Warbands (flip from Hidden
to Revealed, or leave Revealed, 1.4.3) in that Region and place
Scouted markers on them (if none already).

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Oh okay. Will likely redo most of my move then, will update shortly

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

Oh okay. Will likely redo most of my move then, will update shortly

Ave, Caesar!

Arverni delendi sunt. Multas gratias tibi ago.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Okay. All Gaul is divided into three parts, one of which the Belgae won't be inhabiting much longer.

Move Caesar with 3 Aux and 4 legions to Treveri.
Scout 2 Aux to Atrebetes, then flip 2 Aux in each Atrebetes and Treveri.

homullus posted:

Ave, Caesar!

Arverni delendi sunt. Multas gratias tibi ago.

I'm beginning to wish I'd paid attention in Latin class

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I'm assuming the two moving in from Atrebetes are from Treveri.

Current Map:

Available Forces:
Romans: 8 Auxilia, 3 Forts, 5 Allies
Averni: 22 Warbands, 7 Allies, 3 Citadels
Aedui: 11 Warbands, 4 Allies, 1 Citadel
Belgae: 10 Warbands, 3 Allies, 1 Citadel
Germanic: 6 Warbands, 3 Allies

Situation:
Not heeding the warnings of Diviciacus, Caesar sets march for Belgae, stopping near the lands of the Treveri tribes, currently allied to the Belgae. He sends out his scouts wide and far, hoping to find the Belgae before they can wreck havoc against his scattered troops. It is clear that Ambiorix is on the path to war, and soon a multiple of warbands are found. And usually, where the Roman scouts appear, Legions are soon to follow...

Action Queue:
-- COOL CORN: 2nd Eligible.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
Hm, I like to keep alliances from growing where I can. I'll take the shaded event.

Give unto Caesar what is Caesar's, and unto the Aedui what is the Aedui's!

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Hoo boy.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Hey, GO, just walked into the office to find I'm going out of town for a couple of weeks for work. I could probably keep up, but I'd slow down the game for sure. Wanna sub in?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Hey, GO, just walked into the office to find I'm going out of town for a couple of weeks for work. I could probably keep up, but I'd slow down the game for sure. Wanna sub in?

Aw, sad. Yeah, I can step in for Ambiorix.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Gutter Owl posted:

Aw, sad. Yeah, I can step in for Ambiorix.

Cool, I'll cheer from the sidelines.

StashAugustine posted:

I'm beginning to wish I'd paid attention in Latin class

Romanes eunt domus

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

Romanes eunt domus
People called Romanes they go the house?!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Current Map:

Available Forces:
Aedui: 11 Warbands, 4 Allies, 1 Citadel

Situation:
Not having been able to make Caesar listen, Diviciacus returned to the Aedui with little to show for his diplomacy. The Aedui nobles were not convinced that it was worth sticking with the Romans and, with the failure of Diviciacus, many of them decided not to collaborate with them, and not to provide them with the necessary resources to help their campaign. Diviciacus, not wanting to drive a wedge within the Aedui confederation, argued his case but eventually had to go along with the edicts of the nobles.

Current Card: Avaricum Card 2/64

Next Card: Marcus Antonius Card 3/64
Related to Caesar, a mentee of political ally Clodius Pulcher, and with successful military experience in the East, Marc Antony came to Caesar's command in Gaul during the latter Gallic Wars. Dashing and aggressive, he was popular with the troops. Caesar saw to Antony's political advancement as, in effect, Caesar's heir and sent him to Rome to become Quaestor, an important public official. Antony was back in time for the 52BC Great Revolt; at Alesia, he held an important sector of the circumvallation and earned his first mention in Caesar's memoir. By 51, he held an independent command in Belgica, sparring with his cavalry against none other than Caesar's old Belgic protege, Commius.

Action Queue:
-- homullus: 1st Eligible.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Action Queue:
-- homullus: 1st Eligible.

The Aedui will take advantage of Avaricum's prosperity and friendliness via the Event on the card.

Allies at Pictones and Mandubii [Alesia]. Replace Ally with Citadel at Bituriges [Avaricum]. +5 Resources, by my count.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Current Map:

Available Forces:
Aedui: 11 Warbands, 3 Allies.

Situation:
Leveraging the renown of the Bituriges, the Aedui uses the influence and power of Avaricum and its focal point as a trading post for the central part of Celtica to quickly build up alliances with the Pictones and Mandubii, something that turns out to be profitable for all parties involved. Additionally, seeing the coming unrest arriving on the horizon, the defences of Avaricum are strengthened. It is obvious that by their action, the Aedui are attempting to pre-empt the revolt by Vercingetorix, but will it be enough?

Action Queue:
-- Gutter Owl: 2nd Eligible.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Rally in all three Belgic Provinces. Rampage in Morini with two pieces. (I will of course deny the retreat and rout the pieces.)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Current Map:

Available Forces:
Romans: 9 Auxilia, 3 Forts, 5 Allies
Belgae: 4 Warbands, 3 Allies, 1 Citadel

Situation:
Having been warned of Caesar's return to Belgica, the Belgic Tribes quickly set to rally the warbands, readying up for war. In the area near the Morini tribe, the Belgae finally rise up in revolt, attacking the local Roman garrison and driving them out: in their retreat, they are quickly cut down, by Belgic cavalry: the revolt has finally begun.

Current Card: Marcus Antonius Card 3/64

Next Card: Numidians Card 4/64
Among Roman auxiliaries from outside Gaul, the Numidians were prominent not only for their famed light cavalry, bu also for archers, often serving alongside Balearic slingers.

Action Queue:
-- StashAugustine: 1st Eligible.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Execute event.
Scout all 6 Aux from Treveri and Atrebetes to Nervii
Battle in Nervii, benefiting from event bonus

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Current Map:

Available Forces:
Belgae: 4 Warbands, 3 Allies, 1 Citadel

Situation:
Marcus Antonius, a protegee of Caesar, after reviewing reports from his scouts, sees an opportunity in the air. He convinces Caesar to let him send all available cavalry to attack Ambiorix's encampment, where the Belgic leader is currently rallying his troops. With incredible speed, the Auxiliaries are able to find Ambiorix, surprising the Belgic leader. Will he stand his ground, or retreat?

Current expected battle losses: 10

Action Queue:
-- Gutter Owl: Retreat?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Also if you choose to retreat, let me know to where (remember that you can actually retreat and still remain in the province you are in, since you are being attacked by Romans).

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Retreat in place.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 30, 2016

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Actually, scratch that. Retreat all to Atrebates.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Current Map:

Available Forces:
Belgae: 7 Warbands, 5 Allies, 1 Citadel

Situation:
Ambiorix, seeing an impossible situation, decides to quickly retreat before Marcus Antonius's trap is fully sprung. This decision saves a large part of the Belgic army from facing a complete obliteration, but the retreat of Ambiorix towards the lands of the Atrebates loses him the support of the Nervii and Eburones, shocked that their leader would be defeated so soundly and then just leave them to the depredations of the Romans. Both tribes are subdued by the victorious Romans, but at least Ambiorix will live to fight another day. Is the Gaulish revolt destined to be still born?

Action Queue:
-- COOL CORN: 2nd Eligible

I'm liking how easy it is to create a narrative for this COIN.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Tekopo posted:

I'm liking how easy it is to create a narrative for this COIN.

I am seriously considering narrating my updates in the writing style of the Commentaries

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

I am seriously considering narrating my updates in the writing style of the Commentaries

Why would you not do this

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

homullus posted:

Why would you not do this

I haven't read them in years. Something to do over the weekend!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

I haven't read them in years. Something to do over the weekend!

I would give you a resource for committing to it, but great Caesar eschewed the counsel of Diviciacus.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
RALLY:

Carnutes - place an ally in Aulerci
Arverni - place an ally in Cadurci
Mandubii - place warbands (2)

DEVASTATE:

Looks like it'll effect Bituriges, Aedui, and Provincia. I'm assuming I can pick and choose, and can choose not to effect the Arverni province.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Doesn't Devastate require Control?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Tek, would you mind typing the text on the cards? It's pretty hard to read, even when I open the image on another tab.

Tekopo posted:

People called Romanes they go the house?!

I'm not risking a Monty Pyton derail over this. This is a serious game. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

COOL CORN posted:

RALLY:

Carnutes - place an ally in Aulerci
Arverni - place an ally in Cadurci
Mandubii - place warbands (2)

DEVASTATE:

Looks like it'll effect Bituriges, Aedui, and Provincia. I'm assuming I can pick and choose, and can choose not to effect the Arverni province.
DEVASTATE regions have to be Averni controlled.

• Locked thread