Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Action Queue:
-- homullus: 1st Eligible

First, Suborn in Mandubii: Pay 2 resources to buy the neutrality of the Senones, and pay 2 Arverni warbands there to go away (4 resources total).

Then, March, as follows:
Pictones (1 warband to Veneti)
Bituriges (1 warband to Pictones)
Mandubii (1 warband to Sequani, 1 to Atrebates)
3 resources total

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Pass. Averni, your show.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
What's the win condition for the Aedui?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tevery Best posted:

What's the win condition for the Aedui?

More Allies/Citadels than anybody else. Edited for the real text:

• Romans: Subdued plus Dispersed plus Roman Allied Tribes
exceeds 15.
• Arverni: Off-map Legions (Fallen, plus on the Legions Track,
plus removed by Event) exceed six and Arverni Allied Tribes plus
Arverni Citadels exceeds eight.
• Aedui: Aedui Allied Tribes plus Citadels exceeds those of each
other Faction (Gallic, Germanic, and Roman; do not count Forts).
• Belgae: Total Belgic Control Value (Tribe spaces under Belgic
Control, regardless of Allies, and neither Dispersed nor Suebi)
plus Belgic Allies and Citadels exceeds 15.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Update tonight after I get back from work, but feel free to go ahead COOL CORN since no new information is going to be shown.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Current Map:

Available Forces:
Romans: 9 Auxilia, 3 Forts, 6 Allies
Averni: 22 Warbands, 6 Allies, 3 Citadels
Aedui: 6 Warbands, 5 Allies.
Belgae: 7 Warbands, 6 Allies, 1 Citadel
Germanic: 6 Warbands, 3 Allies

Situation:
The Aedui, as a reaction to the acts made by the Averni, bring their considerable wealth to bear and ply the Senones with grain. This is enough to make the Senones renounce their pledge to Vercingetorix, and their allegiance (along with some of their warbands) is lost to the Averni. Warbands are also sent far and wide in order to spread the influence of the Aedui, and gain allegiance to the other tribes in Celtica before Vercingetorix can do so himself.

Action Queue:
-- COOL CORN - 2nd Eligible

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Hey all, I'm super sick, hardly gotten out of bed today. Will take my turn in the morning.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'll pass. Not really a limop I want to do right now.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

COOL CORN posted:

I'll pass. Not really a limop I want to do right now.

Keep in mind you won't be able to act on the next card either -- Belgae and Rome are ahead of you.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I was going to say that but he also only has 1 resource, so either one makes a certain amount of sense

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

I was going to say that but he also only has 1 resource, so either one makes a certain amount of sense

He can still Raid! That's +2 resources rather than +1 for passing.

Edit: and a raid in Arverni or Carnutes doesn't open him to Ambush by the peace-loving Aedui.

homullus fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 5, 2016

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I forgot about raiding! I'll raid in Arverni with 2 warbands.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Current Map:

Available Forces:
Belgae: 16 Warbands, 6 Allies, 1 Citadel

Current Card: Arduenna Card 10/64
Unshaded: Romans or a Gallic Faction may free march into either or both the Nervii or Treveri Regions, then execute a free Command except March in one or both, then flip all friendly pieces there to Hidden.

Next card: Aquitani Card 11/64
Shaded: Free Battle in either Pictones or Arverni region, inflicting 3 extra Losses, 1 Ally (not Citadel) first.
Unshaded: Your Rally in Pictones and Arverni Regions places 2 extra Warbands each (capability).
After a major campaign in Aquitania under Publius Crassus in 56 BC, the period only rarely saw fighting in the third part of Gaul. However, the Quitani did send contingents into Celtica. For example, while making up his losses at Avaricum, Vercingetorix received from a prince of the Nitiobriges - whom the Senate earlier had declared a friend - "a large cavalry force of his own, plus some mercenary horsemen hirede in Aquitania".

Situation:
Vercingetorix, running low on supplies, is forced to send out some raiding party towards the nearby Aquitania in order to gather supplies for the coming winter. Although he is able to do so without any resistance, will this act make him another enemy that he can ill afford?.

Action Queue:
-- Gutter Owl : 1st Eligible

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Rally, play one ally each in Remi and Sequani, pay 3 resources.

Enlist, march all Germans from Nervii to Treveri.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Event

March all from Nervii to Trevri.
Seize in Nervii and Treveri, dispersing all tribes

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Update tonight.

Also, is anyone interested in writing a brief history of the Gallic war (based on what happens in the game) after the game is done?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Update tonight.

Also, is anyone interested in writing a brief history of the Gallic war (based on what happens in the game) after the game is done?

Caesar also thought/hoped that somebody would turn his brief notes on the conflict into a proper history later. Nobody who tried to improve upon them had any success of note. What are you imagining, that goes beyond your notes?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

homullus posted:

Caesar also thought/hoped that somebody would turn his brief notes on the conflict into a proper history later. Nobody who tried to improve upon them had any success of note.

Aulus Hirtius :colbert:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tevery Best posted:

Aulus Hirtius :colbert:

Aulus Hirtius wasn't using Caesar's Commentarii as the outline of a history, he was adding fan-created chapters to them. :colbert: :colbert:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Well, at the moment my situational updates are pretty disjointed. Someone could add additional detail as well...

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Current Map:

Available Forces:
Belgae: 7 Warbands, 4 Allies, 1 Citadel

Situation:
Ambiorix, seeing that he needs to build up more allies if he has any chance to build up his army again, entices both the Remi and Sequani to join his cause: this is done more by force of arms rather than diplomacy, as Ambiorix has little in resources or fame after his two big losses to the Romans. Still, having an ally right in the way of the Roman supply line might prove useful in the seasons to come. Ambiorix, having shored up his allies, then tells the Germanic warbands currently present in the Nervii lands to also help cut the supply lines of the Romans by moving into the lightly defended lands of the Treveri.

Caesar, however, is not caught unaware. Shielding his movements by clever use of the Ardennua forest, he moves the mass of his army back South into Treveri lands. Before leaving the Nervii, however, he sets about a vicious campaign of reprisal against the Nervii and Eburones tribes, seizing grain, burning homesteads and sending many of the tribesmen and women into slavery. Using the forest to hide their raiding and foraging parties, there is little the tribes can do. The Treveri meet a similar fate and all three tribes are either captured, diminished or dispersed. "The Belgae won't rise again".

The dispersal of the tribes sends waves of anger flowing through the remaining tribes loyal to the Belgae. Many warbands form in the Atrebates, Morinin and Sequani lands, both from refugees of the Nervii, Treveri and Eburones tribes and spontaneous anger from the other Gauls. It is clear that Ambiorix is ready for war again.

Rolls: (I didn't do any for Averni since they didn't have any region that could rally)
Nervii: 4
Eburones: 2
Treveri: 1

Action Queue:
-- Gutter Owl : Confirm you are happy with the rallies I made for you.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

quote:

Action Queue:
-- Gutter Owl : Confirm you are happy with the rallies I made for you.

Atrebates and Morini are good. In Sequani region, please rally an Ally to Helvetii, rather than a warband.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Current Map:

Available Forces:
Belgae: 17 Warbands, 3 Allies, 1 Citadel

Current Card: Aquitani Card 11/64
Shaded: Free Battle in either Pictones or Arverni region, inflicting 3 extra Losses, 1 Ally (not Citadel) first.
Unshaded: Your Rally in Pictones and Arverni Regions places 2 extra Warbands each (capability).

Next card: :siren:Winter:siren: Card 12/64

Situation:
The Helvetii, seeing the brutality of the Romans, also decide to join the Belgic tribes in revolt. Unfortunately for Rome, the first snows are now dropping, and winter is rapidly approaching. The frost makes it hard to march and it will be likely that the Romans will have to spend winter within Gaul.

Action Queue:
-- COOL CORN - 1st Eligible

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Corn: Can you somehow take control of Mandubii this turn, without Marching? It's the last link in Caesar's supply line.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Gutter Owl posted:

Corn: Can you somehow take control of Mandubii this turn, without Marching? It's the last link in Caesar's supply line.

Not that I can tell :(

I guess I'll use the shaded capability, it seems too strong to pass up.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Situation
Even after the raids aimed against the Aquitani, they are still willing to help Vercingetorix in his Great Revolt. Indeed, even though they are acknowledged friends of the Senate, they are more than willing to provide the Arverni with additional horsemen to help them stand against the power of Rome.

Action Queue:
-- homullus: 2nd Eligible

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Action Queue:
-- homullus: 2nd Eligible

Will the powerful and righteous Romans allow the Aedui to conduct Trade through Provincia?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

homullus posted:

Will the powerful and righteous Romans allow the Aedui to conduct Trade through Provincia?

Yeah, if you'll let me use your territory for quarters

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah, if you'll let me use your territory for quarters

So, to be clear, we're talking about tracing your Supply Line through Aedui, when you relocate to Provincia? Edit: if so, that is fine. I just want to make sure we're talking about the same thing. You can't move your troops to Mandubii in the initial part of Quarters, since it's No Control.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah I'm pulling back to Provincia, just wanted to be 100% clear I could move through your territory

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah I'm pulling back to Provincia, just wanted to be 100% clear I could move through your territory

Awesome. The peace-loving Aedui will then Rally everywhere (4 Resources):

Veneti: One Ally at Namnetes
Pictones: One Warband
Bituriges: One Warband
Aedui: One Warband

Then Trade, with a Supply Line through Provincia with Roman agreement, earning +2 resources for each of:
Namnetes
Pictones
Santones
Bituriges [Avaricum]
Aedui [Bibracte]

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Winter

Victory Phase
No one wins.

German Phase
Germans gain ally in Ubii, then rally in Sugambri and Ubii.

Germans in Ubii march on 1-3 to Treveri and 4-6 Sequani: d6 = 2.
Germans in Treveri stay in place and flip to hidden.
Germans in Sugambri move to Nervii and gain control.

No germans can raid (fort present in both Nervii and Treveri).

Germans ambush in Nervii but do 0 losses (1/2 + 1/2) / 2 = 1/2, round down to 0.
Germans ambush in Treveri. Caesar rolls a 4 and is thus not caught unaware. Losses by germans are 5 and a 1/2, halved for Fort to 2 1/2, 2 losses total.
Caesar counter-attacks and eliminates 11 germans.

Current Map:

Available Forces:
Romans: 11 Auxilia, 3 Forts, 6 Allies
Aedui: 3 Warbands, 4 Allies.
Belgae: 8 Warbands, 3 Allies, 1 Citadel
Germanic: 13 Warbands, 2 Allies

Current Card: Winter Card 12/64

Next Card: Gallic Shouts Card 13/64
Unshaded: Romans may look at the next 2 facedown cards and either execute a free Limited Command or be Eligible.
Shaded: A Gallic Faction executes 1 Command and 1 Limited Command, in either order, free, no Battles.
In discussing the onset of the Great Revolt, Caesar notes a form of Celtic telegraph that could transit a distance of 160 miles in one day: "News...spread rapidly to all Gallic states, for wherever an event of particular note or significance takes place the Gauls shout it abroad in the countryside and the villages, others then take up the cry and pass it on to their neighbours. So it happens on this occasion, for what had taken place at dawn in Cenabum was made known before the end of the first watch in Arvernian territory..."

Situation:
The Aedui, spreading their influence and wealth, manage to make a pact with the Namnetes: this is mostly done thanks to the arrival into Gaul of several shipments of Roman goods, which manage to make the Aedui tribes relatively wealthy, although still unwilling to supply Roman armies on the fields. Shoring up their defences, the confederation also calls to arm their allies in the Pictones, Bituriges and Aedui regions of Celtica.

Meanwhile, in the east, the Germanic tribes finally stir up. Sensing an opportunity, they march where the large Roman army is currently encamped near the burning remains of the Treveri villages. Unfortunately for them, Caesar is not caught unaware and although the Germans are able to ambush a part of the Roman auxilia, the Germanic warbands are then caught into an ambush of their own and largely eliminated, with Caesar hunting down and dispersing the Germans and preventing them from crossing the Rhine. Another glorious victory for Rome!

Action Queue:
-- Gutter Owl, then homullus ,then COOL CORN, perform winter quarters movement.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

No movement.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Gutter Owl posted:

No movement.

No movement also.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Gutter Owl posted:

No movement.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Action Queue:
-- StashAugustine: Roman Quarters
-- homullus: Confirm Supply Line

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Action Queue:
-- StashAugustine: Roman Quarters
-- homullus: Confirm Supply Line

The Aedui shall honor their pact with the mighty Caesar.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

All troops and leader back to Provincia.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

And stay out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Winter

Romans gain 11 resources!
Arverni gain 8 resources!
Belgae gain 14 resources!
Aedui gain 8 + 4 resources!

Senate

Senate remains on intrigue!
Romans gain 1 legion and 4 auxilia in Provincia!

Spring happens!

Current Map:

Available Forces:
Romans: 7 Auxilia, 3 Forts, 6 Allies
Arverni: 22 Warbands, 6 Allies, 3 Citadels
Aedui: 3 Warbands, 4 Allies.
Belgae: 8 Warbands, 3 Allies, 1 Citadel
Germanic: 13 Warbands, 2 Allies

Current Card: Gallic Shouts Card 13/64
Unshaded: Romans may look at the next 2 facedown cards and either execute a free Limited Command or be Eligible.
Shaded: A Gallic Faction executes 1 Command and 1 Limited Command, in either order, free, no Battles.

Next Card: Baggage Trains Card 14/64
Unshaded: Take this card and place it at your Forces display. Your March costs 0 Resources.
Shaded: Take this card. Your raids may use 3 Warbands per Region and steal Resources despite Citadels or Forts.
"A number of the Belgae and other Gauls who had surrendered were following in Caesar's train and journeying along with our army...During that time some of these men were observing our army's usual order of march. They then went by night to the Nervii and explained to them how a large amount of baggage was okaced between the individual legions. Once the first legion had entered the camp, and while the other legions were still far behind, they said, it would be no trouble to attack the first legion while it was still encumbered with heavy packs, and once it was routed and all the baggage plundered, the other legions would not dare resist."

The discussion from 57 BC shows how important and vulnerable to raid and attack baggage trains were. And this was true not only for the Romans, but for Gallic armies as well. The more horses and wagons an army mustered to move its supplies, the less it had to rely on local resources, and so the more readily it could march.

Situation:
As winter approaches, Caesar wisely decides to send his armies back to Provincia, so that he doesn't have to cut into the valuable supplies that he has gathered from the dispersed tribes. This does mean that the forts in Belgica will be left unattended, but to garrison troops there would require the bringing of provisions across Celtica. Fortunately, the Aedui are on hand to provide safe passage and the Legions and Auxilia return to Provincia untouched and ready to hunker down for the winter. The harvests are brought in finally and Celtica becomes quiet as the fighting dies down. The relative peace is brief, as soon the snow thaws and the Legions of Rome will soon be back, to march into Celtica and stop the revolt.

Action Queue:
-- COOL CORN: 1st Eligible

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jul 15, 2016

• Locked thread