Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Tekopo posted:

DEVASTATE regions have to be Averni controlled.

Ah, thanks. Command only then, no special action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Current Map:

Available Forces:
Romans: 9 Auxilia, 3 Forts, 5 Allies
Averni: 20 Warbands, 5 Allies, 3 Citadels
Aedui: 11 Warbands, 3 Allies.
Belgae: 7 Warbands, 5 Allies, 1 Citadel
Germanic: 6 Warbands, 3 Allies

Situation:
Still preparing for his Great Revolt, Vercingetorix finally manages to convince the tribes of the Aulerci and the Cadurci to join his side, while rallying troops in the Mandubii region. It is clear that the Gauls of Celtica are now taking side: either the Audei or the Averni. For now, the anger of Caesar has only been directed towards the Belgae, but how long will it be before the legions of Rome once again step into the forests of Celtica?

Current Card: Numidians Card 4/64
Unshaded: Romans place 3 Auxilia in a region within 1 of their leader and free battle there, with Auxilia causing double losses (before rounding).
Shaded: Remove any 4 auxilia.

Next card: Cotuatus & Conconnetodumnus Card 5/64
Unshaded: Place 1 Legion in Provincia.
Shaded: Remove 3 Allies - 1 Roman, 1 Aedui and 1 Roman or Aedui (not Citadels).
The Carnutes-led conspiracy that soon flowered into Vercingetorix's revolt began in that tribe's stronghold of Cenabum: "two reckless characters", as Caesar describes them, led the Gauls in slaughtering and plundering Roman citizens who had settled there to do business. Word of the act of terror spread quickly.

Action Queue:
-- homullus: 1st Eligible

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tekopo posted:

[
Action Queue:

The Aedui will speak to the good people of Gaul, gathering allies where they may (Rally, 1st Faction Command Only, as follows):

Pictones: 1 Warband
Bituriges: 1 Warband
Mandubii: 2 Warbands
Aedui: 1 Warband

Cost: 4 resources

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Current Map:

Available Forces:
Aedui: 6 Warbands, 3 Allies.

Situation:
Seeing trouble brewing in the horizon, the tribe leaders of the Aedui Confederation call for their allied Tribes to rally their warbands. In the regions of the Pictones, Bituriges, Mandubii and Aedui, warbands answer the call. It is clear that the situation is reaching a boiling point, and many predict open warfare between the Aedui and the Averni.

Action Queue:
-- Gutter Owl: 2nd Eligible

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Yo, Vercingetorix. Do you have any interest in taking the next event? If you wanna fire it, I can pass now and block Rome's activation on the next card. Interested?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Gutter Owl posted:

Yo, Vercingetorix. Do you have any interest in taking the next event? If you wanna fire it, I can pass now and block Rome's activation on the next card. Interested?

Isn't he first on the next event anyway?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

He's third on the next card.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Gutter Owl posted:

Sure, I'll take it.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Cool. Belgae pass.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Current Map:

Available Forces:
Aedui: 6 Warbands, 3 Allies.

Current Card: Cotuatus & Conconnetodumnus Card 5/64
Unshaded: Place 1 Legion in Provincia.
Shaded: Remove 3 Allies - 1 Roman, 1 Aedui and 1 Roman or Aedui (not Citadels).

Next card: Correus Card 6/64
Unshaded: Replace up to 8 Belgic Allies plus Warbands in Atrebates Region with yours (Auxilia for Warbands).
Shadrd: Remove 2 Allies from the Atrebates Region. Belgae place up to 2 Allies there. then free Rally in 1 Belgica Region.
Long beyond Ambiorix's revolt, Belgic alliances continued to rise up against the hated Romans. After Caesar at Alesia had crushed the Great Revolt, the Bellovaci chief Correus joined with Commius the Atrebatian in hope of enlisting numerous Germans nearby and again challenging Caesar in battle. Caesar marched to them with several legions and established impressive fortifications to their front. A series of harassments, skirmishes, and attempted ambushes ended with a clash and Correus's death. Freed of the "rabble-rousing instigator" Correus, the Bellovaci now led the Belgic tribes in finally making peace.

Action Queue:
-- COOL CORN: 1st Eligible

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

*cackle*

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

All Gaul is divided into three parts, one of which the Belgae inhabit, the Aquitani another, those who in their own language are called Celts, in ours Gauls, the third. All these differ from each other in language, customs and laws. The river Garonne separates the Gauls from the Aquitani; the Marne and the Seine separate them from the Belgae. Of all these, the Belgae are the bravest, because they are furthest from the civilization and refinement of our Province, and merchants least frequently resort to them, and import those things which tend to effeminate the mind; and they are the nearest to the Germans, who dwell beyond the Rhine, with whom they are continually waging war; for which reason the Helvetii also surpass the rest of the Gauls in valour, as they contend with the Germans in almost daily battles, when they either repel them from their own territories, or themselves wage war on their frontiers. One part of these, which it has been said that the Galli occupy, takes its beginning at the river Rhône; it is bounded by the river Garonne, the ocean, and the territories of the Belgae; it borders, too, on the side of the Sequani and the Helvetii, upon the river Rhine, and stretches toward the north. The Belgae rises from the extreme frontier of Gaul, extend to the lower part of the river Rhine; and look toward the north and the rising sun. Aquitania extends from the river Garonne to the Pyrenaean mountains and to that part of the ocean which is near Spain: it looks between the setting of the sun, and the north star.

When Lucius Domitius and Appius Claudius were consuls, Caesar withdrew to the Province for winter quarters. During this time, Ambiorix and Cativolcus induced the tribe of the Morini to arise in revolt. The Remi, who were friends of Rome, had sent messengers to the Province with news, and Caesar immedieatley began to move his legions to the Treveri tribe, with whome the Ambiorix had made an alliance. Caesar called on Diviciacus the Aeduan to provide corn for the legions, but Dumnorix, the brother of Diviacus, had met with the Aeduans in Avaricium and convinced them to withold their provsions. So Caesar began his march, relying on the corn that was already stored by the legions in Belgica.

When the Belgae heard of Caesar's march, Ambiorix led a large body of the Morini and assaulted the legions garrisoned there in their camp. The Romans fought valiantly against the Belgae, but sought aid from the larger garrison to the south, where the tribe of the Nervii live. As they marched to warn the garrison there, the enemy discovered their departure and lay in ambush for them along the road. They harrassed their baggage train and sought to bring them to battle in unfavorable ground. The commander, Quintus Tuturius Sabinus, sought an audience with Ambiorix. When he had approached near to Ambiorix, being ordered to throw down his arms, he obeys the order and commands his men to do the same. In the mean time, while they treat upon the terms, and a longer debate than necessary is designedly entered into by Ambiorix, being surrounded by degrees, he is slain. Then they, according to their custom, shout out "Victory," and raise their war-cry, and, making an attack on our men, break their ranks. There L. Cotta, while fighting, is slain, together with the greater part of the soldiers; the rest betake themselves to the camp, from which they had marched forth, and one of them, L. Petrosidius, the standard bearer, when he was overpowered by the great number of the enemy, threw the eagle within the trenches and is himself slain while fighting with the greatest courage before the camp. A few escaping from the battle, made their way to Labienus at winter-quarters near the Nervii.

Elated by this victory, Ambiorix marches immediately with his cavalry to the Eubroni, who bordered on his kingdom; he halts neither day nor night, and orders the infantry to follow him closely. Having related the exploit and roused the Eubroni, the next day he arrived among the Nervii, and entreats "that they should not throw away the opportunity of liberating themselves forever and of punishing the Romans for those wrongs which they had received from them;" he tells them that two lieutenants have been slain, and that a large portion of the army has perished; that it was not a matter of difficulty for the legion to be cut off, when suddenly assaulted; he declares himself ready to cooperate in that design. He easily gains over the Nervii by this speech.

When Caesar arrived near Belgica, Marcus Antonius, an able commander, informed him that Ambiorix was meeting with the Nervii. Caesar commanded him to drive him off, as his troops were not yet gathered. Marcus, gathering the Numidians Caesar had brought with him from the Province as well as many cavalry and auxilaries who lived in the Province, rode to the Nervii and assaulted Ambiorix and his forces. Ambiorix fled to the Atrebetes, and his warriors were cut down by Antonius and his able troops. The Nervii and Euborni were terrified by the sudden action of the Romans, and sent ambassadors to Caesar.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Event - Pictones, Mandubii, Remi

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Brother, may I suggest you hit Lingones rather than Pictones? It would let you take control of Mandubii province, and then when I march to Sequani we can cut off Caesar's supply line.

Either way:

March all Warbands and Ambiorix from Atrebates to Nervii. March all Warbands from Morini to Nervii. March all Warbands from Treveri to Sequani. Enlist to March four Germans from Sugambri to Nervii.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Thanks for the card transcriptions.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Gutter Owl posted:

Brother, may I suggest you hit Lingones rather than Pictones? It would let you take control of Mandubii province, and then when I march to Sequani we can cut off Caesar's supply line.

Ahh... I didn't see the ally in Lingones, it blended in with the warbands. Yes, Lingones instead of Pictones!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Current Map:

Available Forces:
Romans: 9 Auxilia, 3 Forts, 6 Allies
Aedui: 6 Warbands, 5 Allies.

Current Card: Correus Card 6/64
Unshaded: Replace up to 8 Belgic Allies plus Warbands in Atrebates Region with yours (Auxilia for Warbands).
Shaded: Remove 2 Allies from the Atrebates Region. Belgae place up to 2 Allies there. then free Rally in 1 Belgica Region.

Next card: Celtic Rites Card 7/64
Unshaded: Select 1 or more Gallic Factions. Each loses 3 Resources and is Ineligible through next card.
Shaded: A Gallic Faction executes free Command (in multiple Regions). Stay Eligible.
Caesar devotes some chapters to describing the religion of the Celts, including human sacrifice to give confidence in war: "The whole of the Gallic nation is much given to religious practices... For they believe that unless one human life is offered for another the power and presence of the immortal gods cannot be propitiated.

Situation:
Having rallied his warbands as well as he could, Ambiorix marches for war. No warband is left behind and the entire warhost converges towards the lands of the Nervii, and the location of the Roman fort. Along with the Belgic warbands, the Germanic tribes of the Suebi cross the Rhine, joining the mighty host of Belgic tribes. Still bitter after the retreat that sent him in flight previously, it is clear that a large fight is brewing in the future, and the odds do not look favourable to the Romans. Some Belgae tribe even march south from the lands of the Treveri, leaving them dangerously exposed, but cutting the lines of supply for the Romans to the south. Has Caesar stepped into a trap? Only time will tell.

Meanwhile, the situation is coming to a head within Celtica. The revolution finally starts in earnest as two Gauls aligned to the Averni cause, Cotuatus and Conconnetodumnus, start a slaughter of both Roman and Aedui traders alike near the city of Cenabum. The news spreads like wildfire around Celtica and, fearful of retributions against their own tribes, the tribes of the Mandubii, Lictones and Remi pledge neutrality in the coming conflict: although they won't take up arms against Rome (for now), they are cowed enough to call off their direct allegiance with the Romans and their Aedui allies. And with his hands full with the Belgae, there is little that Caesar can do to stem the tide of Vercingetorix.

Action Queue:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

That's not a card I really wanted to see. I don't suppose I can convince the Aedui to pass?

The faster I deal with the Belgae the faster I deal with the Arverni, and you really don't want two strong Gallic factions

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 2, 2016

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

That's not a card I really wanted to see. I don't suppose I can convince the Aedui to pass?

The faster I deal with the Belgae the faster I deal with the Arverni, and you really don't want two strong Gallic factions

I don't understand what the card does that worries you. A free command is . . . not that big a deal, especially since it doesn't include Special Abilities. If Ambiorix is going to attack you with it, all this does is save him 1 Resource, and prevent him from Ambushing. And you get to consolidate your forces this turn, before he goes. What am I missing?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Sorry for the double post, but I think I do want that next card in any case, so the Aedui will Pass.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Aedui gain 1 resource!

Action Queue:
-- StashAugustine: 1st Eligible

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I was worried about Gutter Owl convincing Corn to fire the event for her, plus staying eligible could cause initiative issues

March Caesar and all the Legions to Nervii, March Nervii in place, Scout until Ambush is impossible

e: I think that's 6 auxilia

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 3, 2016

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

I was worried about Gutter Owl convincing Corn to fire the event for her, plus staying eligible could cause initiative issues

March Caesar and all the Legions to Nervii, March Nervii in place, Scout until Ambush is impossible

e: I think that's 6 auxilia
Do you want to scout the germans?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Looking at special activities for the Belgae, I guess there isn't much point, so I'll go ahead with the update.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I don't think I can get everyone, right? I won't scout the Germans unless I can get all of them

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah you can get them all!

Current Map:

Available Forces:

Current Card: Celtic Rites Card 7/64
Unshaded: Select 1 or more Gallic Factions. Each loses 3 Resources and is Ineligible through next card.
Shaded: A Gallic Faction executes free Command (in multiple Regions). Stay Eligible.

Next card: Aduataca Card 8/64
Unshaded: Remove 9 Belgic and/or Germanic Warbands from a Region with a Fort.
Shaded: March Germans to 1 Region with a Fort. They Ambush Romans there, 1 loss per 2 Warbands.
"This was the name of f a stronghold, practically in the centre of the territory of the Eburones. ... Caesar approved its site for a number of reasons, and in particular because the defence works constructed in the previous year were still whole. ..." At a moment when the heavy baggage of several legions was gathered there, the Sugambri crossed the Rhenus and surprised the Roman fort. Only an impromptu stand at the gate by senior centurion Publius Sextius Baculus enabled the garrison to hold.

Situation:
At a crossroad, Caesar had the option to either retreat his forces in the Nervii territory from the massive host of the Belgae and their Germanic allies, or send the legions in, even with his lines of supply lines cut. A council of war was gathered until finally Caesar sent the orders to march into the Nervii territory and prepare for combat. Once again, the Auxilia was sent far and wide to scout out the positions of the Belgae, something that they managed admirably. It was clear at this point that an epic struggle was brewing, and a great battle would be fought in Belgae for the control of the entire territory. Caesar knew what was coming, but would the legions be able to hold?

Action Queue:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Action Queue:

The Aedui choose the unshaded event, and select both their fractious Gallic brethren, the Arverni and Belgae.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

homullus posted:

The Aedui choose the unshaded event, and select both their fractious Gallic brethren, the Arverni and Belgae.
Oh...oh poo poo, I did not see that coming :stare:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

How much would you want me to take the event vs ops? I would very, very much like ops but Caesar is willing to be generous

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Current Map:

Available Forces:

Current Card: Aduataca Card 8/64
Unshaded: Remove 9 Belgic and/or Germanic Warbands from a Region with a Fort.
Shaded: March Germans to 1 Region with a Fort. They Ambush Romans there, 1 loss per 2 Warbands.

Next card: Shifting Loyalties Card 9/64
Unshaded: Choose 1 Capability of any Faction. Remove it from play.
"He knew how unreliable were his Gallic allies...". Though Caesar wrote this regarding events in a specific context of 55 BC, it was a motif of all the Gallic wars - and from all sides' perspectives.

Caesar described all Gallic tribes as riven by factions within: "In Gaul there are factions, not only in every state and every village and district but practically in each individual household as well... The same structure holds throughout Gaul as a whole...". Tribal allegiances could shift frequently as competing chieftains within a tribe or confederation waxed and waned in their influence. The conflict between pro-Roman Aeduan Diviciacus and his anti-Roman brother Dumnorix was only one prominent example of such rivalries found throughout Caesar's account. Caesar might not have pointed fingers at Gallic factionalism, however, in light of the rampant and even violent tearing apart of the Roman polity back home during the ongoing death throes of his own Republic.

Situation:
As word of the battle spread, tribes throughout Gaul started performing propitiations towards their Gods in order to favour them in the coming battle. But will the gods listen?

Action Queue:
-- StashAugustine: 1st Eligible

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

How much would you want me to take the event vs ops? I would very, very much like ops but Caesar is willing to be generous

Great Caesar can do as he sees fit at Aduataca.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

It's not like the Aedui are eligible anyway. No one is apart the Romans.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Oh yeah conflated the two events. Declare battle in Nervii, not done with my play yet

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Oh...oh poo poo, I did not see that coming :stare:

The Aedui are pious and just, and honor the gods.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Situation:
It was right in the middle of the various offerings and ceremonies to their Gods, as the Belgae were spiritually preparing for their battle to come, that Caesar struck, a blow that would in the future be known as one of Caesar's finest moments. The legions swept through the Belgae camp, cutting and slaying as they went, sparing no one. The Belgae, completely unprepared, and with their Germanic allies not ready to assist, faced once again either complete slaughter or another hasty retreat.

Current Expected Losses: 19

Action Queue:
-- Gutter Owl: Retreat?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

homullus posted:

Beautiful. :munch:

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Welp '_____'

Retreat to Atrebates, including Ambiorix. No point in standing around for eighteen loving casualties. What a complete fuckfest.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Current Map:

Available Forces:
Belgae: 16 Warbands, 5 Allies, 1 Citadel

Situation:
Once again Ambiorix was forced to retreat. The Roman legions were merciless and cut down many Belgae as they ran back towards the lands of the Atrebates, but fully two thirds of the Belgae warhost was dispersed or destroyed. Another crushing victory for Caesar had proven the might of Rome.

Action Queue:
-- StashAugustine: Continue Action

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Can I scout Auxilia that battled out of a province and then battle in the new one?

e: Either way I'm scouting two Auxilia from Nervii to Treverii, and if so Battle in Treveri

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I can't see anything in the rules preventing it :shrug:

Also, people, we have entered the

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siwpn14IE7E

There's gonna be winter in one of the next 6 cards.

Current Map:

Available Forces:
Belgae: 7 Warbands, 6 Allies, 1 Citadel

Current Card: Shifting Loyalties Card 9/64
Unshaded: Choose 1 Capability of any Faction. Remove it from play.

Next card: Arduenna Card 10/64
Unshaded: Romans or a Gallic Faction may free march into either or both the Nervii or Treveri Regions, then execute a free Command except March in one or both, then flip all friendly pieces there to Hidden.
As in later ages, maneuvers in the vast Ardennes forest presented particular military difficulties and opportunities. Per Caesar , "This forest is the largest in Gaul and stretches from the banks of the Rhine and the land of the Treveri to the Nervii: it is more than 460 miles across." The anti-Roman Treveran Indutiomarus hid young recruits for his warbands there. Ambiorix similarly used it to evade Roman pursuit.

Situation:
Having scattered the Belgae tribes to the winds, Caesar sends a few of his auxiliaries to bring news of his victory to the Treveri tribe, a key tribe since they lie within the path of supply back to Provincia. The Treveri, having heard of the terrible loss by the Belgae, are more than happy to acquiesce to Caesar's requests. Unfortunately, the supply lines is not completely secure, and there are still Belgae tribesmen to the south, in the region of the Sequani, preventing the Roman carts from reaching the legions. Winter is soon to arrive and it is clear that it will be difficult to house the legions without any sort of allies in Belgae.

Action Queue:

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 3, 2016

• Locked thread