Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Recruit Provincia, Nervii, Treveri, Remi placing max Auxilia. (Should cost 6 resources unless the Belgians mysteriously accept supply routes.)

Scout 2 (should be all) Aux from Remi-Morini, flip 2 to scout
Scout Nervii in place, flip 3 to scout
Scout Treverii in place, flip 2 to scout
Scout 3 Aux Provincia-Averni, flip 3 to scout

e: First off, can we see available forces? Second, how are Winter rules handled- are the decks seeded with the winter in the second half?

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

rulebook posted:

4.2.2 Scout.
Scouting can move Auxilia, Reveal Hidden Warbands, and keep them Revealed longer. It may accompany any type of Command. Select any Regions with Auxilia (even if no Leader nearby).

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Oh okay. Will likely redo most of my move then, will update shortly

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Okay. All Gaul is divided into three parts, one of which the Belgae won't be inhabiting much longer.

Move Caesar with 3 Aux and 4 legions to Treveri.
Scout 2 Aux to Atrebetes, then flip 2 Aux in each Atrebetes and Treveri.

homullus posted:

Ave, Caesar!

Arverni delendi sunt. Multas gratias tibi ago.

I'm beginning to wish I'd paid attention in Latin class

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Execute event.
Scout all 6 Aux from Treveri and Atrebetes to Nervii
Battle in Nervii, benefiting from event bonus

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Tekopo posted:

I'm liking how easy it is to create a narrative for this COIN.

I am seriously considering narrating my updates in the writing style of the Commentaries

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

homullus posted:

Why would you not do this

I haven't read them in years. Something to do over the weekend!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Doesn't Devastate require Control?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

*cackle*

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

All Gaul is divided into three parts, one of which the Belgae inhabit, the Aquitani another, those who in their own language are called Celts, in ours Gauls, the third. All these differ from each other in language, customs and laws. The river Garonne separates the Gauls from the Aquitani; the Marne and the Seine separate them from the Belgae. Of all these, the Belgae are the bravest, because they are furthest from the civilization and refinement of our Province, and merchants least frequently resort to them, and import those things which tend to effeminate the mind; and they are the nearest to the Germans, who dwell beyond the Rhine, with whom they are continually waging war; for which reason the Helvetii also surpass the rest of the Gauls in valour, as they contend with the Germans in almost daily battles, when they either repel them from their own territories, or themselves wage war on their frontiers. One part of these, which it has been said that the Galli occupy, takes its beginning at the river Rhône; it is bounded by the river Garonne, the ocean, and the territories of the Belgae; it borders, too, on the side of the Sequani and the Helvetii, upon the river Rhine, and stretches toward the north. The Belgae rises from the extreme frontier of Gaul, extend to the lower part of the river Rhine; and look toward the north and the rising sun. Aquitania extends from the river Garonne to the Pyrenaean mountains and to that part of the ocean which is near Spain: it looks between the setting of the sun, and the north star.

When Lucius Domitius and Appius Claudius were consuls, Caesar withdrew to the Province for winter quarters. During this time, Ambiorix and Cativolcus induced the tribe of the Morini to arise in revolt. The Remi, who were friends of Rome, had sent messengers to the Province with news, and Caesar immedieatley began to move his legions to the Treveri tribe, with whome the Ambiorix had made an alliance. Caesar called on Diviciacus the Aeduan to provide corn for the legions, but Dumnorix, the brother of Diviacus, had met with the Aeduans in Avaricium and convinced them to withold their provsions. So Caesar began his march, relying on the corn that was already stored by the legions in Belgica.

When the Belgae heard of Caesar's march, Ambiorix led a large body of the Morini and assaulted the legions garrisoned there in their camp. The Romans fought valiantly against the Belgae, but sought aid from the larger garrison to the south, where the tribe of the Nervii live. As they marched to warn the garrison there, the enemy discovered their departure and lay in ambush for them along the road. They harrassed their baggage train and sought to bring them to battle in unfavorable ground. The commander, Quintus Tuturius Sabinus, sought an audience with Ambiorix. When he had approached near to Ambiorix, being ordered to throw down his arms, he obeys the order and commands his men to do the same. In the mean time, while they treat upon the terms, and a longer debate than necessary is designedly entered into by Ambiorix, being surrounded by degrees, he is slain. Then they, according to their custom, shout out "Victory," and raise their war-cry, and, making an attack on our men, break their ranks. There L. Cotta, while fighting, is slain, together with the greater part of the soldiers; the rest betake themselves to the camp, from which they had marched forth, and one of them, L. Petrosidius, the standard bearer, when he was overpowered by the great number of the enemy, threw the eagle within the trenches and is himself slain while fighting with the greatest courage before the camp. A few escaping from the battle, made their way to Labienus at winter-quarters near the Nervii.

Elated by this victory, Ambiorix marches immediately with his cavalry to the Eubroni, who bordered on his kingdom; he halts neither day nor night, and orders the infantry to follow him closely. Having related the exploit and roused the Eubroni, the next day he arrived among the Nervii, and entreats "that they should not throw away the opportunity of liberating themselves forever and of punishing the Romans for those wrongs which they had received from them;" he tells them that two lieutenants have been slain, and that a large portion of the army has perished; that it was not a matter of difficulty for the legion to be cut off, when suddenly assaulted; he declares himself ready to cooperate in that design. He easily gains over the Nervii by this speech.

When Caesar arrived near Belgica, Marcus Antonius, an able commander, informed him that Ambiorix was meeting with the Nervii. Caesar commanded him to drive him off, as his troops were not yet gathered. Marcus, gathering the Numidians Caesar had brought with him from the Province as well as many cavalry and auxilaries who lived in the Province, rode to the Nervii and assaulted Ambiorix and his forces. Ambiorix fled to the Atrebetes, and his warriors were cut down by Antonius and his able troops. The Nervii and Euborni were terrified by the sudden action of the Romans, and sent ambassadors to Caesar.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

That's not a card I really wanted to see. I don't suppose I can convince the Aedui to pass?

The faster I deal with the Belgae the faster I deal with the Arverni, and you really don't want two strong Gallic factions

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 2, 2016

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I was worried about Gutter Owl convincing Corn to fire the event for her, plus staying eligible could cause initiative issues

March Caesar and all the Legions to Nervii, March Nervii in place, Scout until Ambush is impossible

e: I think that's 6 auxilia

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 3, 2016

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I don't think I can get everyone, right? I won't scout the Germans unless I can get all of them

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

How much would you want me to take the event vs ops? I would very, very much like ops but Caesar is willing to be generous

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Oh yeah conflated the two events. Declare battle in Nervii, not done with my play yet

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Can I scout Auxilia that battled out of a province and then battle in the new one?

e: Either way I'm scouting two Auxilia from Nervii to Treverii, and if so Battle in Treveri

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 3, 2016

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I was going to say that but he also only has 1 resource, so either one makes a certain amount of sense

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Event

March all from Nervii to Trevri.
Seize in Nervii and Treveri, dispersing all tribes

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

homullus posted:

Will the powerful and righteous Romans allow the Aedui to conduct Trade through Provincia?

Yeah, if you'll let me use your territory for quarters

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah I'm pulling back to Provincia, just wanted to be 100% clear I could move through your territory

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

All troops and leader back to Provincia.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

COOL CORN posted:

I think I'll really wherever I can, but none of my special activities seem useful.

Entreat or setting up for Entreat is good, also if you can't think of a special activity use the event

Or use the AI:

First Battle or March to deal with threats

Then decide whether to play event

Then decide to Rally
Rally if would place Arverni Allies/Citadel or at least 4 warbands

Then decide to March to spread
March if fewer than 9 Allies/Citadels on map or more than 6 Available warbands
First March one hidden warband to as many regions without as possible
Then move Leader with all Warbands but leaving 1 and control if possible to add Control'

Then decide to Raid
Raid if $ < 4 and Raid would gain > 2$

Then decide to March to mass
March Leader and all Warbands that can reach target
Add Averni control of one Region with a Legion in it, else gather as many as possible in region adjacent to Legion

Then Raid wherever possible, else Pass

Else Devastate
Devastate to force Legion removal or at least as many Roman + Aedui pieces as Arverni
Else Entreat
Replace (not remove) Aedui, then Belgic, then German allies
Then replace or remove Auxilia, then Aedui Warbands
Else no special ability

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 9, 2016

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The Virgin Queen PbP took over a year and still didn't finish :v:

This should go faster though, we're already 1/6 of the way through the game right?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The event is " A Gallic Faction executes 1 Command and 1 Limited Command, in either order, free, no Battles." So taking the event means you get a free limited command instead of special activity, so you could march or rally again in a space.

(Also Tek small typo, both cards in the last update are named Gallic Shouts, although they have correct event text)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

March all but 1 Aux out of Provincia->Sequani
Build in Sequani, removing Sequani ally. I think I'm out of forts, if so take from Nervii
Continue march to Treveri, leaving 3 Aux

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 15, 2016

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I will permit retreat to Treveri unconditionally, and Provincia with a promise to not take control or ally

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Oh I mistook which warband was targeted

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

qq more mrs at-my-victory-margin

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Plus you go after me, I'm forced to deal with the immediate threat and that leaves her free to run rampant all over the place while you waste my time getting yourself killed

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Rally Ally into Provincia

e: Actually Sequani if no one minds the change

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jul 20, 2016

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Well at least that absolves me of trying to figure out if I wanted to be stupid and fire the event

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Battle Treverii and Sequani, no SA to block event

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

CC: I will be pulling my troops back to deal with you. This delays me from dealing with GO, who is the one that's pretty much one good March away from winning. You get jack poo poo out of this other than distracting me- there's no way you can actually take out a Legion and I can wipe the floor with you in a straight fight.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

COOL CORN posted:

But, if the Belgae would agree to a non-aggression pact with the Great Vercingetorix, I'd be more in favor of them winning

no prizes for second place; you win or you die

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

No they don't you win by backstabbing your allies the second they're past their usefulness

(don't worry homullus, we're still chill for a while)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah it's not your fault, but at the same time while there are general 'sides' it's just who you're naturally allied with. Like I could backstab the Aedui but I can't take on all of Gaul at once and I need them to keep supply routes open while they know they can't put up with a full-fledged Roman incursion and want me to take down their rivals. Only one of us will win but we both know its in our best interests to keep the other one happy for as long as humanly possible. You obviously want to provoke me into a fight and cripple my resources but I'm (admittedly) trying to fast-talk you out of it because the Belgae are nearing victory and I'm really the only one equipped to deal with them. You have to weigh the chances of getting to hurt my momentum or resources vs the possibility of a Belgian win.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

March all but 1 Aux Treveri-Atrebates
March 2 Aux Sequani-Treveri
Build fort+remove Ally Atrebates

e: we only have 4 cards til the ~danger zone~ correct?

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 24, 2016

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

COOL CORN posted:

Pass, I need the resources.

Raid is way more efficient

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Boius, Boii

• Locked thread