Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Welcome to The Next Project

This is the 3rd playtest! Recruit/Discussion thread is here!

The Lineup:
Generic Octopus as Malachi -- [Monk(Ki Master)]
slydingdoor as Clint Williamson -- [Warlord(Defender)]
Speleothing as Ixthos -- [Druid(Shapeshifter)]
Tricky as Sidewinder -- [Archer(Harrier)]

More to follow...I will add tokens to this post. Soon. Maybe.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
~reserved~ :butt:

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Prologue: The Mercenaries' Guild

Our heroes begin their journey from within the stone-and-brick walls of their guild, a marvel of artisan construction. The humble building sports a few upper floors, but many more can be found below the surface.

You follow your way down a few flights of stairs to one of these lower levels; you have been told that Bruenor, the dwarf has a quest that may require your particular set of skills.
Along the way, you pass all manner of your fellow guildmates, partaking in their various downtime activities.

quote:

Feel free to describe a room or a floor, or a particular NPC (and what they're doing) that you might be interested in meeting up with later on. Add as much or as little detail as you want.
When you're ready, we'll move on to the meeting with Bruenor.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Ixthos - Druid

Ixthos shook the rain off his cloak as he stepped in through the guildhall entrance. Fairly empty right now, but would soon fill up if the evening was going to be like this. He saw two of the Fumi brothers at the corner table arguing over a map. The third would probably be with their ship in the harbor. Ixthos went directly to the spiral stairs behind the roaring fireplace and went into the first basement with the rooms for negotiating contacts, then through the hidden door into the second level where bound imps endlessly chopped firewood and worked fans, and then down and down until he came to the forge levels where Breunor usually spent his time.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Clint Williamson the Warlord mashes X and the start button repeatedly as a snide looking funhouse mirror version of himself, along with his rival party which likewise mirror our heroes, comes over to taunt him. All the dialogue is skipped, and their gesticulations jerkily start, stop, and restart at uncanny speed. Clint comes to a decision point and quickly presses down to choose to deny a wager the terms of which have been skipped. An unskippable in-engine cutscene begins where they have a staring contest and Clint delivers a burn that diverts his rival's eyes. "I don't want to take your money. It's been worth less that poo poo to me from the moment you touched it. I'd rather you just hate me from a distance–however far my party and I leave you in the dust." Apparently the wager was for money and some kind of race. At any rate, the rival warlord Jeremiah Burningbush and his rival team emit anime gasps and leave in a huff. Never to be seen again I'm sure.

Clint then holds the run button and sprints and bounds down the stairs until he reaches Bruenor and the next unskippable cutscene, during which he gets a drink of water.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Sidewinder, Harrier Archer

The Guild library is a thing of wonder. It stretches farther than the eye can see, yet takes up no more space than any other room in the building. If you know its secrets, you can use it as a shortcut to get anywhere -- or to any time, but those are surely just rumors.

Sidewinder closed her book, a treatise on the commonalities of heraldry amongst the various known forms of royalty, and got up. The meeting with Bruenor would be soon and it wouldn't do to be late. She carefully placed the book back on the shelf and walked to a dusty corner of the vast library. These shelves looked unkempt and, frankly, like they were composed more of dust than tomes.

She carefully pushed a large blue book that was askew into place. With a rush of heat and air, the shelves slid aside to reveal the forge and she stepped through.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Prologue: The Mercenaries' Guild

Greeting the party tersely as they arrive in the guild's forge, Bruenor, the dwarf has amore than one quest that may require your particular set of skills. Did I say "a quest"? I meant like, there might be a couple to pick from. Yeah, that's it. :shobon:

:siren: THERE'S GOLD IN THEM THAR HILLS
    A mercenary band from the guild had set out in search for ~a fabled golden axe~ that was supposedly to be found "in the foothills." Unfortunately their efforts were stymied, when a gang of orcs attacked them along the road; Dargon, the Mage was particularly shellshocked ("Poor bastard couldn't even bring himself to post! Ho ho!"" chuckles Bruenor, "Er, I mean-- like, to ~guard~ his post. Ahem.") and Shlavi, the Paladin was beaten within an inch of his life.
You can:
a) seek out Shlavi or Dargon for [reasons]
b) head out in search of the golden axe
c) try and find the orcs and gently caress up their poo poo

:siren: KANIRA FELL DOWN THE WELL
    A totally different mercenary band was investigating a dried-up well, a few days south of the large city of Gladesveil. Apparently what they found down there was too much for them to take; the latest word is that they had abandoned the well and headed to town, but no one is really sure why.
You can:
d) investigate the well for yourself
e) head towards Gladesveil
f) ask if Bruenor knows any more about the mercenaries involved (may require skill checks)

quote:

Any course of action that involves going out into the big wide world will have to be made by consensus, because gently caress splitting the party. Talking to NPCs and such can be done individually or in pairs or w/e.
:justpost:

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Clint Williamson the Warlord opts to find Dargon and Schlavi, exhaust their dialogue trees as fast as he can and then read the gists from his journal or the codex or something at his leisure. A golden axe is actual treasure, the other quest doesn't have any listed. He needs melee weapons anyway since his class was nerfed at the last second.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Sidewinder followed Clint to go find the survivors.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
THERE'S GOLD IN THEM THAR HILLS

Dargon, the Mage tells you that the orcs had ~an enchanter~ among them, who could control the weather; "be particularly cautious of him and try to close distance, if you can."
Shlavi, the Paladin warns you to not always wade heroically into a crowd of enemies; make sure you have ways to escape a pincer-move. "or," he adds, "you better carry a big shield, and know how to use it."

Continuing on to find the golden axe (and presumably, the orcs standing in your way) will lead you firstly to a fairly non-descript beaten path through an open meadow; off in the distance, the perimeter is lined by tall hedgerows.

quote:

If you are ready to proceed into the wide world of dungeon-sports, this path will begin with an Exploration encounter; basically we'll go around the table, and everyone will describe how they are proceeding. For example, you may be slinking through the tall brush, or marching boldly at the front of the party. Based on this, I'll call for a check (or you can just roll one if you know exactly which one you want to use); either this will advance the exploration of the area, or could be used for your initiative if combat breaks out.
:iiam:

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Sidewinder disappears into the meadow, shadowing the party's progress along the main path.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Clint Williamson the Warlord selects the bow and gathers a large bundle of sticks that he carries on his back. Periodically he does a series of actions: he takes a fistful of sticks from the bundle, and while looking from side to side like a carnival strongman, snaps them in half, then snaps the twice as thick bundle into more sticks, and drops the stick arrows he crafted with his maxed out fletching skill into his second hip-quiver. The one without a perforation on the side from tips of the razor sharp arrowheads that slightly poke out like cactus spines. He then pulls a discus and tosses it mightily in the air, then looks from side to side like a gladiator rousing a crowd, before firing a stick arrow into the discus at such an angle that it is kept aloft. He does this while keeping a marching pace. Only when the last stick arrow is used does he allow the discus to fall. Then he repeats the process again.

Intimidate, trained proficient expertise.
Intimidate: 1d20+1d10+1d6 17

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Ixthos

Golden Axes, that's the sort of thing he expected to do in the adventurers' guild. Much better than negotiating with ratwasps or clearing bandits out of the sewers.

• Locked thread