Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
seriously you can create scripts right

can someone make me learn it. there are cool things I want to achieve but only through the power of huge amounts of for loops and layering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Yeah but you gotta write them in like JavaScript

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I vaguely remember doing some automation on photoshop for some of my webmaster job back when I was a teen

it was so inflexible that I decided to learn some perl instead

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
you can but you probably shouldn't

it's like designing in emacs

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so how do ya do it

I'd re learn Python. can you Photoshopping in Python

fuckin adore Python

poisoned pie
Jan 15, 2005

Can you feel the colors?
could you just use imagemagick?

hosed if i know.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

echinopsis posted:

so how do ya do it

fuckin adore Python

Import scripts via automate > run script I believe

The documentation isn't good http://www.adobe.com/devnet/photoshop/scripting.html

have fun

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
you can automate certain actions like opening files, resizing them, then saving the files

it's neat

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

poisoned pie posted:

could you just use imagemagick?

hosed if i know.

they should rename imagemagick to darkmajykk because that's what it feels like sometimes

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
does photoshop even use the gpu yet?

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
yeah im pretty sure they switched over last year

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i know gimp has some programming language integration. wouldn't surprise me if it's nicer and easier to use than dat gui, honestly

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
yes, op http://www.dangermouse.net/esoteric/piet.html

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

photoshop can run matlab things iirc

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Photoshop scripts aren't always synchronous. also Photoshop can't save files bigger than 2gb which its scripts may inadvertently create if it doing stuff w big layers

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

they went on stage and demonstrated it using Metal, then a few months later said it would't support Metal because, iirc, the person demonstrating it wasn't really high ranking enough to make the call and they were just showing what Photoshop could do with Metal if it actually did use it

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
You can use fake JavaScript (way better than AppleScript) to script it using the OSA interface, OP.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I once scripted photoshop to make a ton of rollover/active/selected/disabled states for text buttons bc this was before web fonts and the agency was full of idiots

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

pretty much everything photoshop does can happen in real time on modern cpus and won't gain much from gpu optimization, I've never understood people who are like "I need a monster computer for photoshop" sure if you're making gigapixel composites or something but anything at screen or even print resolution has been pretty much instant for 5+ years

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Maximum Leader posted:

yeah im pretty sure they switched over last year

fer real? u sure?

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i know gimp has some programming language integration. wouldn't surprise me if it's nicer and easier to use than dat gui, honestly

may be true if the os x version no longer used x11, because what you get is a menu for x11, gimp inside with it's own menu, and no command modifier keys, replaced by ctrl instead lol

PleasureKevin posted:

they went on stage and demonstrated it using Metal, then a few months later said it would't support Metal because, iirc, the person demonstrating it wasn't really high ranking enough to make the call and they were just showing what Photoshop could do with Metal if it actually did use it

haha time to get on the ball adobe

qirex posted:

I once scripted photoshop to make a ton of rollover/active/selected/disabled states for text buttons bc this was before web fonts and the agency was full of idiots

pretty much everything photoshop does can happen in real time on modern cpus and won't gain much from gpu optimization, I've never understood people who are like "I need a monster computer for photoshop" sure if you're making gigapixel composites or something but anything at screen or even print resolution has been pretty much instant for 5+ years

hmm naw i disagree... i hate pixelmator for the fact that it causes kernel panics and they never fixed it as far as i know, but the real time previews are truly real time; way faster than more complicated stuff photoshop previews. the filters and such are also a lot more impressive, and photoshop should have integrated something like that a long time ago.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

may be true if the os x version no longer used x11, because what you get is a menu for x11, gimp inside with it's own menu, and no command modifier keys, replaced by ctrl instead lol

some guy started working on a native cocoa app that used gimp's internals/backend, but the last release was in 2010...

http://seashore.sourceforge.net/The_Seashore_Project/About.html

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ill tell ya what I want to be able to do

my renders output HDr files, and I want to use those high dynamic range images and do some extreme curves on a layer and extract just thevery brightest points, and and then use a directional blur or 4 to make star patterns, and screen them onto the original. a glare effect basically but I can't find any already existant way to achievbe this

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

echinopsis posted:

so how do ya do it

fuckin adore Python

if you want to use python then consider Inkscape

http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/PythonEffectTutorial

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

echinopsis posted:

ill tell ya what I want to be able to do

my renders output HDr files, and I want to use those high dynamic range images and do some extreme curves on a layer and extract just thevery brightest points, and and then use a directional blur or 4 to make star patterns, and screen them onto the original. a glare effect basically but I can't find any already existant way to achievbe this

ps has batch processing, where you can set up a string of actions in sequence and press a button to make it go. but what youre doing sounds a bit more artistic and probably requires some more clicks

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
jesus christ

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

yeah a lot

illustrator won't run without it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Photoshop has some tragic hangovers in its ui, if someone had only used new software and then finally used photoshop they would gasp in horro and poo poo their daks

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

adobe is king of the incomprehensible ui

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

photoshop includes a number of existing scripts which you can examine to learn the syntax

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what can ya do with it

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

echinopsis posted:

what can ya do with it

shop photos

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

echinopsis posted:

what can ya do with it

stuff

the script i use the most is to export all layers as individual files

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Lutha Mahtin posted:

some guy started working on a native cocoa app that used gimp's internals/backend, but the last release was in 2010...

http://seashore.sourceforge.net/The_Seashore_Project/About.html

haha rip

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
photoshop's ui is so bad it actually requires gpu acceleration now. turn it off and everything is slow as poo poo

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
didn't Adobe move the whole Photoshop UI over to air? It's so loving bad now it's mind blowing. I've been using that piece of poo poo for 16 years now, 10 professionally, and it gets worse every goddamn time, it's amazing.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Moist von Lipwig posted:

didn't Adobe move the whole Photoshop UI over to air? It's so loving bad now it's mind blowing. I've been using that piece of poo poo for 16 years now, 10 professionally, and it gets worse every goddamn time, it's amazing.
last I checked it's a mishmash of air, wx and native controls and maybe even one more older system

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i bought adobe CS6 before the Adobe CC stuff happened. do i have a better product?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

obstipator posted:

i bought adobe CS6 before the Adobe CC stuff happened. do i have a better product?

no, the content-aware stuff in creative butt is excellent

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
but also worthless

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
heres a simple script for creating a grid of guides. i didnt write it

code:
 var doc = app.activeDocument;
 var guides = app.activeDocument.guides;
 var w = doc.width;
 var h = doc.height;

function MakeGuidesGrid(unitVertical, gutterVertical, unitHorisontal, gutterHorisontal) {
     if (unitHorisontal !== 0) {
         var j = h / unitHorisontal;
         for (var i = 0; i < j; i++) {
             guides.add(Direction.HORIZONTAL, i * unitHorisontal);
             guides.add(Direction.HORIZONTAL, i * unitHorisontal + gutterHorisontal);
         }
     }
     if (unitVertical !== 0) {
         var z = w / unitVertical;
         for (var i = 0; i < z; i++) {
             guides.add(Direction.VERTICAL, i * unitVertical);
             guides.add(Direction.VERTICAL, i * unitVertical + gutterVertical);
         }
     }
 }
 MakeGuidesGrid(parseInt(prompt("Insert the Vertical unit", 20)), parseInt(prompt("Insert the Vertical gutter", 0)), parseInt(prompt("Insert the Horisontal unit", 20)), parseInt(prompt("Insert the Vertical gutter", 0)));
 //MakeGuidesGrid(40,10,40,10)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

echinopsis posted:

but also worthless

wrong

• Locked thread