Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

MCPeePants posted:

Is new monpoc the same scale as the old one? I've got a bunch of stuff, and the buildings especially would be nice to use.

Close enough if you want to use old stuff, but the new stuff is a decent amount larger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Failson posted:

From what I can recall, you want Power Plants, a Radar Array, and your factions unique building. I'm not sure the 2.0 factions got their buildings though? I want to say the rest you can fill out with whatever is cheapest.

Thanks! I also appreciate Rydiafan's house rule, it just seems good even on paper

S.J. posted:

Close enough if you want to use old stuff, but the new stuff is a decent amount larger.

If you look at some of the painting guides on YouTube you can definitely tell the models are 30%ish bigger or more in 2.0

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Yeah the only plus side is that they'll pretty much fit on the grid, so movement and stuff will work fine.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Painted a Blightbringer. Then chipped the base. At least that's an easy fix.

https://imgur.com/a/vxBzgJ4

S.J.
May 19, 2008

God drat, that looks sick as hell. What a lovely paintjob, seriously. I hope you cross posted that to the general painting thread.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Yeah, I basically never comment on paintjobs, because I'm not really good enough to judge and anyone who can paint within the lines just seems like an otherworldly being to me, but, man. That should be the box art. It's not that it's fancy or that any aspect of it stands out, it's just that it's, like, perfect?

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Oh, that's good. The gradient from brown to blue looks like it wasn't easy, but it works. As does the green flesh.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

I'm magnetizing a Demolisher / Devastator / Spriggian kit. The arms and shoulders obviously have to change, but am I required to also swap out the head and forehead plate?

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Depends, do you play against pedants often?

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

smug jeebus posted:

Depends, do you play against pedants often?

My knee jerk reaction of "depends on how you define 'pedant'" makes me think I'm the pedantic one.

But no, not often.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
In that case only if you want to. I recommend using the one with the little Skaven Khador symbol.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

smug jeebus posted:

In that case only if you want to. I recommend using the one with the little Skaven Khador symbol.

Agreed, until I get 2 more kits. Then I can remove one of the spikes from the Spriggian forehead and number them that way.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Official ruling is 50% privateer press parts, weapons staying similar, and no possible confusion, so you are in the clear.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

In War Room 2, is there a way to load two armies in Go To War mode and have the app handle dice rolls / stats / damage against models for you?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I said come in! posted:

In War Room 2, is there a way to load two armies in Go To War mode and have the app handle dice rolls / stats / damage against models for you?

It doesn't have a dice roller or anything like that, no.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

My group has been playing in Tabletop Simulator with free workshop asset packs. they have a setup for warcaster too.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Around here, people have adopted Vassal. Haven't tried it myself, and the caution is "save every turn" because apparently it's prone to locking up.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

So, after a long hiatus I decided to get back into Warmachine, and I'm starting to look at foam trays and cases as my lists approach being painted.

What would you all recommend? I'd like to avoid dealing with battlefoam, if possible.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I use KR Multicase. Their stuff is overall quite good, some of the trays aren't as suited for the troop sizes they list them as which I think is just the reality of the model line and they have the absolute worst website but their customer support is top-notch so that ameliorates that somewhat.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

rantmo posted:

I use KR Multicase. Their stuff is overall quite good, some of the trays aren't as suited for the troop sizes they list them as which I think is just the reality of the model line and they have the absolute worst website but their customer support is top-notch so that ameliorates that somewhat.

Yeah, also, you can basically tear the kr foam in their multicases to for what you've got really well, and bodge stuff with the ripped out foam, which sounds kinda bad, but in practice is actually perfect because like, the alternative is only being able to carry a single big model type in that slot.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
I bought a Battlefoam bag, mostly with pick'n'pluck trays, thank god. The laser cut tray I bought is basically unusable. The dimensions on the troop tray don't match the published specs.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

KR is great. Better foam quality and cheaper than battle foam.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Battlefoam trays are also super scratchy and take paint off in my experience

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Is Battlefoam still run/operated by the same dick that started it and tried to aggressively sue anyone else cutting foam?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I don't recall hearing anything otherwise but I'd be happy to be wrong

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Hey, so, would any circlebro's be able to help me out? In our DnD campaign, I'm playing an 'Arithmetic Golem', and wanna get a mini to represent him for combat. None of the stuff I can find online really strikes the right balance of 'fantasy' and 'not poo poo'. I always loved all the Wold models, but for some reason, I'm finding it really hard to find good pictures of them that show the scale / size of the minis? Anyone got any good shots? I'd dearly like to use a Wold Guardian, because it looks cool as all fuckin' get out, but I think it's probably too big? Any suggestions or photos much appreciated, thanks!

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Warmachine has fixed base sizes, so you should be able to get a decent sense of its size based on any picture of a model. As a heavy warbeast, a Wold Guardian goes on a large (50 mm) base.

I found this photo showing one posed next to Baldur, a (roughly) normal sized man small (30 mm) base:

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Thanks, that's about the only useful one I've found, I'm trying to find one with a Wold Watcher too, because, while I think they look kinda goofy, if it's the right size I could like, mod it, but it's really hard to tell if they're scrawny or big or what? Like this guy looks perfect, but, I have no idea what it is or how big it is? It's weirdly hard to find out:

!Klams fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 11, 2020

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
That's a somewhat converted Megalith. It's a heavy warbeast, on a large (50 mm) base. And it's a beefy one for that class.

Woldwatchers are light warbeasts, they go on a medium (40 mm) base.

Here's a picture showing those two with a Wold Warden (there's one of those in the previous picture for comparison):

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Wold Watchers are on 40mm bases, so they're smaller than those guys but bigger than regular troops. Here is some random guy's army with a Watcher in the center.

There are also Mannikins, which are more human-sized, but they look kind of like they are made from sticks and bundles rather than stone.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Maneck posted:

That's a somewhat converted Megalith. It's a heavy warbeast, on a large (50 mm) base. And it's a beefy one for that class.

Woldwatchers are light warbeasts, they go on a medium (40 mm) base.

Here's a picture showing those two with a Wold Warden (there's one of those in the previous picture for comparison):

Awwww... butts. Ok, thanks. Maybe this isn't the right path then. Anyone happen to know of any cool (but not like 90's comic book cool) Golem mini's? The remit of 'Golem' is very broad.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Hipster Occultist posted:

So, after a long hiatus I decided to get back into Warmachine, and I'm starting to look at foam trays and cases as my lists approach being painted.

What would you all recommend? I'd like to avoid dealing with battlefoam, if possible.

Skip all foam and get a magnetic case. Tablewar is good but pricy, A-10 is alright. If you want to be thrifty, you can make your own for ~$10. I hate foam, it scratches paint off anything that isn't pure plastic. You're never done buying it either, you always need more as you get more or different armies. The only thing foam is good for is very tall models, or top-heavy models with small connections to their base, like stuff on flight stands. With magnetic transport, you can have 2 sheets you can re-use for any game or army you have. It is exceptional for transporting large quantities of infantry, as you can place them very near each other without worry.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

!Klams posted:

Awwww... butts. Ok, thanks. Maybe this isn't the right path then. Anyone happen to know of any cool (but not like 90's comic book cool) Golem mini's? The remit of 'Golem' is very broad.

Not sure exactly what you are going for; Reaper makes a variety of miniatures under 'golem', which vary from frankenstein monsters to iron and stone to scifi-like robot dudes. You could also look for some Warforged miniatures; they are basically the golem race from the Eberron DnD campaign world that might have the right look.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Monster Menagerie has options as well if the Woldwatcher won't work.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mugaaz posted:

Skip all foam and get a magnetic case. Tablewar is good but pricy, A-10 is alright. If you want to be thrifty, you can make your own for ~$10. I hate foam, it scratches paint off anything that isn't pure plastic. You're never done buying it either, you always need more as you get more or different armies. The only thing foam is good for is very tall models, or top-heavy models with small connections to their base, like stuff on flight stands. With magnetic transport, you can have 2 sheets you can re-use for any game or army you have. It is exceptional for transporting large quantities of infantry, as you can place them very near each other without worry.

Yeah, anything made of steel should work. I use a chunk of scrap steel, I got from an old job to keep magnetized parts from getting lost.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Thanks folks, I think I'm goona take a look at KR. I use to have an Army Transport case, but it looks like they've went in price and are no longer the bargain they once were.

Setting up a magnet case is pretty much a no no for me.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Setting up a magnet case is pretty much a no no for me.

I'm just curious as to why?

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm just curious as to why?

Its a combination of things. The premade cases are way too pricy, and putting together a homemade case myself is a bit more than I have time for right now.

But honestly, I know how to set up foam to my liking, and my paintjobs aren't good enough for me to go that extra mile to protect them from what's really a minor issue for me. (I think i see more damage from handling minis than foam scratching paint). I'd rather not risk loving up the magnetization of the bases, after seeing a buddy gently caress up the same thing, and he arrived at Lock'n'Load with a case full of smashed minis a few years back.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Its a combination of things. The premade cases are way too pricy, and putting together a homemade case myself is a bit more than I have time for right now.

But honestly, I know how to set up foam to my liking, and my paintjobs aren't good enough for me to go that extra mile to protect them from what's really a minor issue for me. (I think i see more damage from handling minis than foam scratching paint). I'd rather not risk loving up the magnetization of the bases, after seeing a buddy gently caress up the same thing, and he arrived at Lock'n'Load with a case full of smashed minis a few years back.

You can't gently caress up the magnetization of the bases without either being incompetent or an epic fail down the stairs. If you're into mini/wargaming as a hobby, magnets are always cheaper in the long run. You never can have enough foam, and large chunks of are either not useful or require you to insert extra foam to gap fill. It is a never ending hassle. Magnets are just so, so much better. I can fit a unit of 40 infantry in a 6x11x3 inch space. Try doing that with foam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
What size magnets do you use for infrantry, versus heavy jacks?