Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I don't hate the color scheme, but I definitely see that it can be improved.

That's kind of keeping in line with old school Retribution. I don't think there's any faction that tops Retribution for universally looking better with any color scheme apart from the studio one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

rydiafan posted:

I don't hate the color scheme, but I definitely see that it can be improved.

That's kind of keeping in line with old school Retribution. I don't think there's any faction that tops Retribution for universally looking better with any color scheme apart from the studio one.

Fuckin a, iPad looking rear end color scheme

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

https://home.privateerpress.com/2022/11/03/black-friday/

Wasted no time putting Dusk battlegroups up for sale.

Also, I love that Ares Mothership alternate sculpt.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I like the designs for Khador and Cygnar, but I think the assessment that them not being very steampunk-y is a very valid criticism. I like the old steampunk look. The new look is also good but it's devoid of a lot of what drew me into Warmachine in the first place.

the Dusk dudes are totally fine, though, the Elves were also more sleek and high tech.

EDIT: Limited Edition Ares ship rules

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
I know the "make a character into a cute anime girl" thing is a super overplayed trope, but having the UFO as a skirt is kinda fun. And she's not super sexualized, so I give Anime Martian Waifu a pass.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
Just happened on to a Twitter thread about
. . . well Twitter and user trust. Seems very appropriate to a number of gaming companies in general, through, and Privateer Press is specific at the moment.

https://twitter.com/garius/status/1...ingawful.com%2F

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Interesting stuff. Some specific examples would have been nice, but I understand why they didn't mention any.

In other news, the most recent House Kalyss pieces are showing improvement, although a lot more flexible than I would have expected: https://www.facebook.com/804665704/videos/522290383104755/

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

smug jeebus posted:

Interesting stuff. Some specific examples would have been nice, but I understand why they didn't mention any.

In other news, the most recent House Kalyss pieces are showing improvement, although a lot more flexible than I would have expected: https://www.facebook.com/804665704/videos/522290383104755/

Apparently those ones being done by the UK based print house. So people who actually do this professionally apparently don't think producing brittle product is a sensible approach.

And because nerds really do complain about everything, yes, there are people now complaining that those are too flexible.

Maneck fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Nov 5, 2022

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I'm going to have to trust you all because I'm never getting unbanned from that loving facebook page lmao

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Matched play was supposed to be into the app as of today. Privateer Press provided an update saying the build with match play will be submitted for review in the next 24 hours, probably. So, some time this week, anyway.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
The app was updated, supposedly having been delayed for upgrades. Not sure what was originally planned, but as implemented it seems to be missing many features that Warroom II had on launch.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Farrow have rules now.

It's still hilarious that Privateer Press took the position that everyone got rules at launch. With the Gator/Pig split in the Minions faction rules for 3rd, there were clearly two separate armies for 4th edition purposes. Sure there was one crossover theme in 3rd, but anyone who had built only that cross over theme will be unable to play anything in 4th until unlimited arrives (if it ever does), because they cemented the division in the rules. Which makes it galling that they trotted out the "they're the same faction" line to explain why.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
After skimming the last few pages, wow I guess I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger on a clearance Troll starter last week lol.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

When I've got some extra hobby cash laying around I'm just going to try to pick up some of the old starters for as many factions as I can. A warcaster and 2-3 jacks per faction would be a fun, diverse construction project and would look nice on a shelf. And nothing wrong with starter box bottles if anyone comes over and wants to try it out. I might not be able to find unassembled boxes but thats the way it goes. It's a shame and I'm still hoping PP somehow pulls up and everything works out but there isn't even a place in my town that sells or sponsors any warmachine, and it was dominating over even 40k in 2014ish

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I got my House Kalyss battlegroup in the mail today. I'm mostly happy with it:
There are some very faint lines on the Ghast's shield that I don't think will show through paint. I don't see any other 'stepping' issues.
Some of the weapons are bent. Presumably some hot water will resolve this.
There is some weird dimpling, mostly on the bottoms of the feet where it's irrelevant, but in a few other places as well. Seems easy enough to remove with a knife but it's not something I've seen or heard of before.
No chemical burns noticed.

Overall it doesn't appear any more difficult to prepare than your standard metal figure and less than a resin one. I bought a Void Archon as well to get me to the $100 free shipping line, and while it looks perfect, removing those giant pegs will be a bigger pain I think.

I was also unprepared for Hazeroth's size. Bro's bigger than a Primaris Aggressor.

E: The package the magnets come in says that I should I have 20x 1/8" and 20x 3/16". Instead, there's 31x 1/8" here, which is enough and that's fine, but some of the holes are clearly designed for the extra width of the 3/16" which is not fine. It really looks like they deliberately cheaped out on the magnets. This will be the third time I've contacted PP CS over mispacks just this year and I'm loving sick of it.

smug jeebus fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 18, 2022

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Matt Wilison posted a message about the WotC OGL announcement and how it pertains to the Iron Kingdom projects. No firm announcement but worth a read. Wilso points out that, basically, Privateer Press had a successful launch as a company thanks to the original OGL and that the value it offered was not so much a rule set, but rather it allowed players to try different settings without having to relearn a whole language each time.

No explicit announcement that they won't use D&D going forward. Rather, it's phrased as they'll continue if they can use the current OGL, otherwise they'll follow the community.

Also, my store had actual new Warmachine models in stock today. People are excited and will actually be able to play with new stuff. Neat.

Forgot the link: https://home.privateerpress.com/2023/01/13/the-future-of-the-ikrpg/

Maneck fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 13, 2023

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
I'll follow up my own somewhat hopeful post with an distinctly pessimistic one. Basically, three negative developments in a row.

First negative is that a good chunk of the local folks who got their box sets had duplication and missing parts problems. Several can't actually assemble their models until Privateer Press sends them more. This includes the ones which were meant for demo games at the local store. There breakage on those issues. This was all fixable apparently, but effort will be required.

Which is to say that the problems discussed here months ago have materialized as expected. While this was anticipated, I still see it as a huge negative in a couple of ways. First, we have a local community that's still enthusiastic. We even have new people who are interested. What do you tell those folks? "Just drop $200 on the box set, and after you figure out that the pieces don't got together and are broken, just email Privateer Press and in a few weeks you'll probably be good to go!" It's a lot of money to drop on something only to have to deal with the hassel of having it fixed. And on top of that, despite the premium price for 3D printed resin, Privateer Press is going to have a challenge turning a profit if the error and breakage rate is as high as it seems. Customer service and extra shipping expenses are going to add up.

Second, the team tournament held around here in March every year has been cancelled due to lack of sign ups. Again, not a total surprise in that huge chunks of people's model collections are currently unplayable and the new models have issues including as noted above. But absolutely a disappointment.

And third, Privateer Press announced that defences will be added to the game: https://home.privateerpress.com/2023/01/20/warmachine-mkiv-preview-defenses/

First player gets to place two of these, and the second player gets to place 3. Zero points cost it would seem. The defences will have a major impact, especially the spike trap against infantry (Pow 10 for anything without flight getting within 10).

That actually sounds neat from a gameplay perspective, so how is that a negative? Well, the counter to defences will apparently be extra-large and huge based models. Neither currently in the game. As well, rather than being just a new terrain type for players to use, Privateer Press apparently expects players to buy these things from them. If they come as a set (with Privateer Press they tend to), that'll be 3 sets to cover off the likely configurations. Oh, and the models they want to sell will apparently look like this:

It seems very early in the lifecycle of the new edition (official launch was this month) to be shaking up the core gameplay. Not sure what drove them to announce this right now.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's astounding that they'd go with resin instead of PVC for this level of non-detail.

Also what happened to flat terrain?

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

moths posted:

It's astounding that they'd go with resin instead of PVC for this level of non-detail.

Also what happened to flat terrain?

It's harder to charge for, and I'd say that PP probably needs all the money it can get its hands on

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

It's astounding how fast they're making GBS threads the bed on this.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
I was recruited in/played mainly with a guy who was a hard-core former pressganger. Had enough models to run at least one (typically many) army in every faction, boards mats and terrain for about 4 games at once. He'd do weekly games at his small business after hours, and monthly regional get together game days.

He seems to have lost faith that PP can function in a non head-in-rear end manner, and we all think their social media is active harmful to their reputation and business. He picked up the Thousand Sons holiday box, I've been painting Necrons, and a third regular is looking at jumping from PP dwarves to the Votann

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Just hurling ideas at the wall to try and right the ship, huh? Disappointing.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Maneck posted:

And third, Privateer Press announced that defences will be added to the game: https://home.privateerpress.com/2023/01/20/warmachine-mkiv-preview-defenses/

It seems very early in the lifecycle of the new edition (official launch was this month) to be shaking up the core gameplay. Not sure what drove them to announce this right now.

I cannot understand anything PP are doing these days. I'm just lost.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Why even have infantry in your game at that point? If everyone in the unit is taking the fire effect for walking near it, or going with a 10inch (good lord) bubble of that lil' spike trap causes a unit wide pow 10 hit, what is even the counter outside of just not taking them? I would not trample a Battle Engine up the board so my Steelheads can advance without auto-dying, I just would not take the unit.

The fire barrels seem ok despite having way too many rules attached to them. Warjacks/Warbeasts having more wrestling moves or interesting tricks was always fun.

Man, this game deserves better.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The Spike trap doesn't seem to be quite that bad:

quote:

A spike trap is an obstacle. A model without Flight entering the area within 3” around a Spike Trap terrain feature suffers a POW 10 damage roll. If a trooper model without Flight advances through a Spike Trap as part of its unit’s Normal Movement, each model in the unit suffers a POW 10 damage roll. This damage is rolled after all models have been placed. If a warjack without Flight enters a Spike Trap, in addition to the POW 10 damage roll, the warjack also suffers 1 damage point to its first available Movement System box. Your models do not suffer damage from Spike Traps that you placed.

Really have no idea what they are doing here. When the new edition was announced there was a flurry of excitement and interest in my local group, which has now rapidly faded away to nothing again. The combination of issues and PP choices for this just killed people's interest in returning, especially because basically every player already plays other games that are way more functional at this point.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Wow, I assumed it couldn't really be 10 inches of effect on the spike trap. I guess they're really really trying to get away from the 'Infantrymachine' thing now, huh?

edit: and it's not, it's 3 inches. which is still significant, but not *quite* as 'put your infantry models into their display case and leave them there'.

I admit my interest in this game is mostly just sort of morbid curiosity at this point, but it's sad to see something that I sunk a lot of time and bucks into reduced to a state where even if my circumstances were different, I wouldn't even consider getting back into it.

e: read the rules, haha

Giant Tourtiere fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 31, 2023

moths
Aug 25, 2004

evenworse username posted:

edit: and it's not, it's 3 inches. which is still significant, but not *quite* as 'put your infantry models into their display case and leave them there'.

Isn't it a 4" footprint plus 3" in every direction?

And people are talking about taking multiples of them.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Ashcans posted:

The Spike trap doesn't seem to be quite that bad:

Really have no idea what they are doing here. When the new edition was announced there was a flurry of excitement and interest in my local group, which has now rapidly faded away to nothing again. The combination of issues and PP choices for this just killed people's interest in returning, especially because basically every player already plays other games that are way more functional at this point.

I'm happy to have misread here. Still, RIP this game.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

I admit my interest in this game is mostly just sort of morbid curiosity at this point,

Same really. But, still, I can't help but read this and think; "Oh, so if I ambush with a unit of mindslaver drudges, they just all die now..."

I should really read the article, but I can't help but feel like this is solving a problem that doesn't exist..?

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

moths posted:

Isn't it a 4" footprint plus 3" in every direction?

And people are talking about taking multiples of them.

Ah right, so it's a 10" bubble in that sense, which is still a pretty big chunk of the battlefield, especially if you chain them.

I guess maybe PP thinks this is going to incentivize buying their big models, but I really don't think what they want to be doing is putting additional barriers in the way of their existing player base playing Mk IV. Like, if you have a WMH collection right now you almost certainly have a bunch of infantry. This just makes it that little bit less likely that I'm going to give things a shot when a good chunk of the models I have from various dumpstered factions are basically a waste of time to put in a list.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Painting 60 Drudges (well, 54) in 2020 seems like a bad idea in hindsight

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm down for traps, even physical models of them, but this seems like a very bad way to handle it.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008

I guess maybe PP thinks this is going to incentivize buying their big models, but I really don't think what they want to be doing is putting additional barriers in the way of their existing player base playing Mk IV. Like, if you have a WMH collection right now you almost certainly have a bunch of infantry. This just makes it that little bit less likely that I'm going to give things a shot when a good chunk of the models I have from various dumpstered factions are basically a waste of time to put in a list.

It's not just old factions. The new Cygnar box has the following contents:
1 Captain Athena di Baro Warcaster
1 Courser Light Warjack (4x Head 8x Arm/Weapon options)
1Stryker Heavy Warjack (4x Head 8x Arm/Weapon options)
1 Stormblade Legionnaires Unit (5 models)
1 Stormguard Legionnaires Unit (5 models)
2 Legionnaire Standard Bearers

1 Tempest Thunderers Unit (3 models)
1 Arcane Mechaniks Unit (3 models)
1 Legionnaire Officer Solo

I've eyeballed & bolded what I expect are single wound infantry out of the current new player box (not downloading their app for this). So there's a significant chunk of the new package that has a bad time from this.

There's also the issue of the previous explanation of the high price point of an entry box ($200) being that it is complete for a player to be able to step up to a table & play. Now PP is adding these, where a player will also need to pay at least $20 for a pack that contains one of each type of defense, up to $80 if they want four packs for the option to field the max of one type of defense.

Edit: 54 drudges. I feel you. I was super pleased about getting my FA of Dread Rots finished.

PharmerBoy fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 31, 2023

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

smug jeebus posted:

Painting 60 Drudges (well, 54) in 2020 seems like a bad idea in hindsight

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooppphh.. Sorry.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The walls and the fire pits seem moderately ok in that they don't really apply damage and allow you to kind to counter some opponent plans. Power kegs seem fun but also kind of reckless in terms of a competitive game, they seem like they would be good for a narrative or special occasion game but not every single match. Spike trap just seems wildly dangerous to units and way too hard to deal with. Only the Keg can be destroyed show of the extra-large or huge base hitting it. In general it would be better if any of them could be attacked and destroyed.

Some of the models used to generate their own terrain (I am pretty sure Circle did this, Magnus would like you place some wreck markers following setup) but they were part of the purchase of that unit. Or you make them things you pay for separately, like 40k does. This seems like a really bad way to handle it.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Ashcans posted:

This seems like a really bad way to handle it.
Why change now?

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Warmachine Thread Mk4: This seems like a really bad way to handle it

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
How can a spike trap be a trap if everyone knows where it is? Just walk around it, drat.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
The bit I can't get over is that people know just how powerful walls are in this game from a denial point of view, being able to place one was amazing, and this just casually adds the ability to place 4 walls with no restriction on how close they can be to each other? You can exclude heavies from large chunks of the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The restriction is that you need to buy them.

For as much as the phrase "cash grab" gets thrown around, putting players at a competitive disadvantage unless they buy four sets of ugly models seems a lot like one.

Especially coming at a time when the company could really use some money right now.