Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
july
This poll is closed.
j 45 20.27%
u 54 24.32%
l 48 21.62%
y 75 33.78%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC083te8VP4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

I've never really been impressed by an Atlus game since the SNES era. Sorry if I came across as pooping on your parade, I'm glad you enjoy the anime JRPG.

Not even SMT? Well, I mean, if you're just not down with JRPGs in general I guess that isn't going to convince you, but SMT is some good poo poo.

But then again, I'm hyped through the roof for Persona 5 and really dig Etrian Odyssey, so I'm just generally cool with how Atlus does things. #FE doesn't really appeal to me, though it's apparently a pretty good JRPG.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I've fallen off Final Fantasy X. The two-to-three second delay after every line of spoken dialogue started to grate

I might read a synopsis of the plot (because I don't remember much of it from having beaten the game ten years ago) and jump into X2, wish me luck :)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Harrow posted:

Not even SMT? Well, I mean, if you're just not down with JRPGs in general I guess that isn't going to convince you, but SMT is some good poo poo.

Nah, I love JRPGs, I just don't dig on SMT as much as other people. It's right down there with Disgaea for me.

Also I guess I loved Ogre Battle 64. I keep forgetting they made those.

Jay Rust posted:

I've fallen off Final Fantasy X. The two-to-three second delay after every line of spoken dialogue started to grate

I might read a synopsis of the plot (because I don't remember much of it from having beaten the game ten years ago) and jump into X2, wish me luck :)

FFX has one of those plots that sound like a joke when summed up. That last boss is just ridiculous.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How far did you get in X before the dialog delivery killed it for you?

I found that for both games, the gameplay is what drove me forward more than anything. They're still two of my favorite FF battle systems--one is a great turn-based system, the other is the best that the traditional, SNES/PSX-style ATB has ever been. I also think they both entirely fall apart in the postgame because they fall victim to there being one dominant strategy, which I find really boring.

Lurdiak posted:

Nah, I love JRPGs, I just don't dig on SMT as much as other people. It's right down there with Disgaea for me.

Also I guess I loved Ogre Battle 64. I keep forgetting they made those.

I loved the first Disgaea back in high school and then never really enjoyed a Disgaea game again. I picked up Disgaea 4 a couple years back, thinking I was going to jump back into some great, tactical-RPG goodness, and it just completely lost me. I'm not really sure what changed, but I can definitely understand games just not really clicking.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

A friend of mine played almost all the way to the end of X, waiting for the linear "early part" to end and for the game to finally open up and become a real Final Fantasy.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

FFX has one of those plots that sound like a joke when summed up. That last boss is just ridiculous.

Yeah it's a great game.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I had just gotten Rikku

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I mean, it does really open up right before the end. But by that point there's a good chance that you just wanna finish the drat game.

EDIT: Also there's not that much to do.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 1, 2016

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
#FE is the GOTY especially now that Persona 5 doesn't come out until next year

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

I had just gotten Rikku

That's really early, but, FFX-2 is an enormously better game so I applaud your decision.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

On Sunday, July 17, ESPN2 is set to televise Evo’s Street Fighter V World Championship live from the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. Coverage for the event will begin at 7 PM PDT (10 PM EDT).

way to pick a bad game to televise

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's weird, but I really don't like FFX's postgame. The bosses entirely stop doing interesting things and just turn into giant sacks of HP that one-shot you. Their HP is so huge that even hitting 99,999 in a single hit is meaningless, so you need to use multi-hit abilities dealing 99,999 with each hit. Then, you have to go everywhere on the sphere grid to max your stats to even have a chance at beating the superbosses, which means everyone can do everything and is differentiated only by their Overdrives, meaning that the only party members worth a drat are Tidus, Wakka, and Rikku. Then it just kind of gets boring--you Quick Hit a bunch, Rikku's Mixes and the Auto-Phoenix on your armor is the only thing keeping you alive, and Wakka's Attack Reels are your main source of damage. It just gets so drat boring.

FFX-2 is less boring in its postgame, though it does sort of turn into Mascot all day every day, which I find sad in a game with so many different jobs.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Agreed, 10 has one of the worst post games in the series, especially the grind to get there.

What I remember about 10-2's post game is rolling double dark knight + alchemist and spamming darkness and mega potions.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

I did some sidequests before the final boss of FFX to get yuna's ultimate weapon so I could Holy All Day, Every Day because the final boss was balls hard before I did that stuff. I recently felt like opening my save file back up and doing the postgame content but then I read what I would need to do for some of the bonus bosses and I was like "lmfao no way".

That would also require me to play blitzball and gently caress that

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Color Printer posted:

I did some sidequests before the final boss of FFX to get yuna's ultimate weapon so I could Holy All Day, Every Day because the final boss was balls hard before I did that stuff. I recently felt like opening my save file back up and doing the postgame content but then I read what I would need to do for some of the bonus bosses and I was like "lmfao no way".

That would also require me to play blitzball and gently caress that

I almost took the time to power everyone up to the point where I could at least kill a few Dark Aeons and get the crap I missed because I had no idea they were even in the game (thanks, HD remaster!), then I got bored and decided to jump into the endgame to just get it over with.

I've never seen any other FF end boss go down that hard, that fast. No challenge whatsoever. :stare:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I have tried to play a lot more SMT games than I should have given how many I actually liked, because the only one I ever played to completion was Digital Devil Saga 1 and I don't think I could do it again.

Like I owned all the PS2 ones, the psp persona remakes, the vita version of P4, tried the DS SRPGs and SMT IV and that one game was the only one (I never even really gave DDS2 an effort).

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah if you have 3 people with the fully powered ultimate weapons you can kill the final bosses without them getting a turn

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

I'd also have to dodge lightning 200 times, which is probably one of the worst "challenges" I have ever seen in a video game. Like what the gently caress. :psyduck:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

lmao

If I weren't paying student loans, I could probably afford a halfway decent diamond if I saved for a year and half. It's like the world's biggest waste of money and scam, The Economist. It's like a down payment on a new car, poo poo.

Edit: I lied, if I weren't paying student loans I'd be able to pay into a 401k, instead. :capitalism:

deadly_pudding fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 1, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Jay Rust posted:

It really is stilted and awful. It can seem easy to excuse it for being an early attempt at a heavily-voiced game but when you remember that MGS came out years before it and had notably better voice direction, that excuse kinda falls apart. They did have to do anime lip-flap matching so that's partly why but even then, the original Japanese VA still has all the stilted pauses and weirdness. It's a hard game to like, and yet I still platinumed it on my Vita last year because I'm a broken brain.

deadly_pudding posted:

lmao

If I weren't paying student loans, I could probably afford a halfway decent diamond if I saved for a year and half. It's like the world's biggest waste of money and scam, The Economist. It's like a down payment on a new car, poo poo.

I imagine it's more about rich millenials who don't necessarily care too much about it being a car payment or something. The big reasons are that marriage has a different cultural dynamic than it did 50 years ago and people are very aware of the blood diamond aspect. Unlike smart phones where the thing is useful enough that the average person goes "well, at least those depressed Chinese people have jobs I guess," the diamond comes off as this big pointless luxury item soaked in blood that is unseemly enough even for people rich enough to literally eat gold.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 1, 2016

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Why is ESPN2 televising video games? Isn't there some college football match they can show instead?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Junior Jr. posted:

Why is ESPN2 televising video games? Isn't there some college football match they can show instead?

They've televised DOTA2 in the past and nobody cared so I imagine this will go the same way

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I downloaded the new geforce experience beta to see what the new shadowplay share feature is like and the interface is really bad. it's this big pop-up hotkey menu thing that sucks. it's very slick and doesn't lag at all but there is no need for it when the previous shadowplay just used a window with tabs like a normal piece of software. don't download it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

voltron lion force posted:

Agreed, 10 has one of the worst post games in the series, especially the grind to get there.

What I remember about 10-2's post game is rolling double dark knight + alchemist and spamming darkness and mega potions.

Yeah, to X-2's credit, you don't have to roll Mascot for everything, but it's blatantly the best dress sphere so it makes fights like Paragon and Trema a ton easier. FFX just forces you into a super-boring strategy and it sucks.

There are plenty of complaints to make about FFXII's gameplay but I think it has one of the strongest postgames just because many of the postgame marks and Espers require you to change your strategy based on their gimmicks and it keeps things fresh. And FFXIII, for all the poo poo it rightfully gets, has one of the best fights in the series in Vercingetorix, and I really wish the rest of the game had allowed for the sort of split-second reactions and strategy that Vercingetorix requires. That fight was fun as hell.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Color Printer posted:

I'd also have to dodge lightning 200 times, which is probably one of the worst "challenges" I have ever seen in a video game. Like what the gently caress. :psyduck:

There's a specific spot where you can walk and it'll trigger a lightning bolt every time so you can easily do it in like 10 minutes if you turn off encounters

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

In Training posted:

Nah they've been getting English releases for over a decade now. I was bummed out by Awakening and cautious when they announced some weird Pokemon style multiple entry release for Fates but I ended up loving it and have been playing through every entry. It may end up being a GOTY for me

What's wrong with Awakening that you were bummed out by it?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Help Im Alive posted:

There's a specific spot where you can walk and it'll trigger a lightning bolt every time so you can easily do it in like 10 minutes if you turn off encounters

Doesn't mean it's still not the dumbest and most phoned in minigame in a series full of crappy phoned in minigames.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

Yeah if you have 3 people with the fully powered ultimate weapons you can kill the final bosses without them getting a turn
There's a bug in FF6 where if you're about to cast Quick when you kill the third part of Kefka's tower, you'll interrupt his monologue by casting it and can kill him in a single turn.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Which I discovered purely by accident as a kid, so that was fun.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
GO! NOW! IF YOU WANT IT!

AN OTHERWORLD AWAITS YOU!

DON'T! YOU! GIVE UP ON IT!

YOU BITE THE HAND THAT FEEDS YOU!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

What's wrong with Awakening that you were bummed out by it?

I didn't like the maps and playing on harder difficulties meant reinforcements got turns on the turn they appeared, so I would do like suicide runs once or twice just to learn all the spawn points. Also it was pretty easy to break the difficulty with how reclassing worked.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

CJacobs posted:

I downloaded the new geforce experience beta to see what the new shadowplay share feature is like and the interface is really bad. it's this big pop-up hotkey menu thing that sucks. it's very slick and doesn't lag at all but there is no need for it when the previous shadowplay just used a window with tabs like a normal piece of software. don't download it.

I didn't know there was a geforce experience beta until the current version hosed up my native resolution, then it failed to install it, had to do it through nvidia's website, and now I can't get my old resolution back.

oh and the games tab now looks like the one from EA's origin client, so that's clearly an improvement.

gently caress you thank you nvidia!

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 1, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Awakening got pretty boring towards the end, yeah.

Maybe the most fun I had playing games this year has been Fates: Conquest on Hard/Classic. I kinda screwed up by making Corrin's asset Magic instead of Strength (holy poo poo Strength Corrin is overpowered as gently caress) but it was still a really satisfying challenge (and Corrin was still murdering everything by the end and was awesome as a Dragonstone tank). I never even finished Revelation after that because the maps and enemy units were so boring in comparison to Conquest.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I made a strength Swordmaster corrin in birthright and she could have solo'd almost every map after promotion if I didn't keep her in check

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i thought godking donnel was scottish at first but then i realized he's just deep south

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

I made a strength Swordmaster corrin in birthright and she could have solo'd almost every map after promotion if I didn't keep her in check

That's what I did in Revelation. I also A+ supported Ryoma and Xander and had them swap classes to learn each others' useful skills. Swordmaster Xander with Astra is hilarious, as is Ryoma with Luna. And Camilla's growths were somehow out of control in that run, she was super strong.

I ended up getting bored around Chapter 24 of Revelation Hard/Classic I think just because I'd made things so ridiculously easy and the enemies didn't have interesting skill combinations that prevented me from just steamrolling.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 1, 2016

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

In Training posted:

I didn't like the maps and playing on harder difficulties meant reinforcements got turns on the turn they appeared, so I would do like suicide runs once or twice just to learn all the spawn points. Also it was pretty easy to break the difficulty with how reclassing worked.

Ah. I never played awakening, haven't played any FE game outside of a lot of sacred stones so the only thing I've ever heard negatively about Awakening was that the models didn't have feet

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

Ah. I never played awakening, haven't played any FE game outside of a lot of sacred stones so the only thing I've ever heard negatively about Awakening was that the models didn't have feet

Like 90% of the discussion you see of recent fire emblem games online have almost nothing to actually do with the games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

Like 90% of the discussion you see of recent fire emblem games online have almost nothing to actually do with the games
It's loving terrible.

• Locked thread