Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
july
This poll is closed.
j 45 20.27%
u 54 24.32%
l 48 21.62%
y 75 33.78%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm glad the games didn't suck, because pre-release the new FE threads were the worst in Games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm really glad I didn't start looking at those until after release, then. :ohdear:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Any video game that gets real annoying about who your waifu is will inevitably have a bad thread

Junior Jr. posted:

I didn't know there was a geforce experience beta until the current version hosed up my native resolution, then it failed to install it, had to do it through nvidia's website, and now I can't get my old resolution back.

oh and the games tab now looks like the one from EA's origin client, so that's clearly an improvement.

gently caress you thank you nvidia!

Geforce Experience really just sucks in general, especially because it doesn't have a driver rollback function. They are just that confident that nothing will ever gently caress up for sure definitely, I guess.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

awakening on normal was a steamroll but the next difficulty up is just more frustrating than challenging. is it any better in the new one

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm glad the games didn't suck, because pre-release the new FE threads were the worst in Games.

can you fix my thread title please

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

awakening on normal was a steamroll but the next difficulty up is just more frustrating than challenging. is it any better in the new one

Depending on which version but generally yeah. Birthright/Revelations are just generally easier by design but Hard is fun for a while and Lunatic is a manageable challenge. Conquest Normal/Hard/Lunatic descriptions actually make sense and are a lot of fun to try and best, although I've barely scratched a Conquest hard run. Limbering up with Revelations Lunatic first

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about, that was a great game.

last I checked, atlus made the Ogre Battle and Persona games which makes them upper-tier in everything except their now-hosed up localization.

atlus didn't make ogre battle

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

In Training posted:

Depending on which version but generally yeah. Birthright/Revelations are just generally easier by design but Hard is fun for a while and Lunatic is a manageable challenge. Conquest Normal/Hard/Lunatic descriptions actually make sense and are a lot of fun to try and best, although I've barely scratched a Conquest hard run. Limbering up with Revelations Lunatic first

hmm thank you. i'm going to buy one of them

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

oddium posted:

Depends on the path. All of them are at least more interesting, map-wise, than Awakening, but if you want a really satisfying challenge, play the Conquest path on Hard. Conquest Hard/Classic was the most fun I'd had with Fire Emblem in a long time. It had interesting maps full of enemies with clever skill combinations that you really need to plan ahead to work around and I loved that. Birthright and Revelation are both a lot more straightforward, but still less full of "rout the enemy and also instant-acting reinforcements" than Awakening.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Awakening's difficulty levels were:

Normal - A cakewalk.
Hard - What Normal mostly should have been, but the gap between Normal and Hard is a bit much for some reason.
Lunatic - Hard. Not that much harder than Hard, once you get past the first few chapters, which are absurd.
Lunatic+ - DO NOT PLAY

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

hmm thank you. i'm going to buy one of them

This Fire Emblem goon would recommend Conquest

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Any video game that gets real annoying about who your waifu is will inevitably have a bad thread

So what you're saying is, stay out of the Persona 5 thread/MegaTen Megathread when Persona 5 is close to release?

In Training posted:

This Fire Emblem goon would recommend Conquest

:yeah: Conquest owns.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

oddium posted:

can you fix my thread title please
Link?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Harrow posted:

So what you're saying is, stay out of the Persona 5 thread/MegaTen Megathread when Persona 5 is close to release?

fire emblem threads are bad because they're mostly posts about the most efficient/tactically advantageous ways to marry all of your characters and create perfect skill sets for your war babies

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

is a girl, yeah

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

should always be a boy because that's canon.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

[the sarcastic lol pic Synthy posts]

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i'm on my phone but it's the amiibo thread. can you make it just say "amiibos"

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oddium posted:

i'm on my phone but it's the amiibo thread. can you make it just say "amiibos"

amiibros

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
it sucks that any discussion of Fates has to be prefaced with "but the plot is terrible" when the gameplay is like the best in the series

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The plot of every FE kinda blows though. It's just people looking at each and getting nervous about evil kings and then eventually dragons. Sometimes both at once

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

xcom 2 is making me OCD out

I know I should be okay with losing guys or taking hits once in a while but every time I lose a dude i just want to restart

I haven't even seen Andromedans yet because of this

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Raserys posted:

it sucks that any discussion of Fates has to be prefaced with "but the plot is terrible" when the gameplay is like the best in the series

People who play J and SRPG's tend to be interested in the plot of games.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Raserys posted:

Conquest has maybe the worst plot of all of them but the gameplay is so absurdly good that it's 100% worth it. God I loved Conquest. Going to have to play that again soon. I don't think I have it in me to play it on Lunatic though. I'll stick to Hard/Classic, I think.

I don't know that I've ever been more pumped to win at video games than when I finished Conquest Hard/Classic without a single death. I didn't even do that in Birthright, but that was just because I was getting kind of bored by the end and wasn't willing to redo the last two chapters when a couple people bit it in the Endgame.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 1, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Harrow posted:

Yes.

Ciaphas posted:

I know I should be okay with losing guys or taking hits once in a while but every time I lose a dude i just want to restart

I know how you feel, but the way I mitigate this feeling is by rotating my soldiers so that losing a couple won't gently caress me over. I try to make sure everyone gets out for a bit so they level up at around the same rate. Try bringing a couple rookies (or first-level trained soldiers if you have the training room) with you on missions if you're not doing that already.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Capcom has apparently admitted the seemingly useless finger in the RE7 demo is just not usable yet.

Motherfuckers. :argh:

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Dewgy posted:

Capcom has apparently admitted the seemingly useless finger in the RE7 demo is just not usable yet.

Motherfuckers. :argh:

At least they admitted it now and not a year or so later like that pendant in Dark Souls thing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Are you playing on Ironman?

It's tough to deal with losing soldiers but in XCOM 2 that is just definitely going to happen sometimes. The game is just unpredictable enough that, at least before your soldiers are immortal god-killers and you're swimming in Psi Ops, it's reasonably likely you'll lose a few soldiers along the way and it's okay if you do.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Harrow posted:

Are you playing on Ironman?

It's tough to deal with losing soldiers but in XCOM 2 that is just definitely going to happen sometimes. The game is just unpredictable enough that, at least before your soldiers are immortal god-killers and you're swimming in Psi Ops, it's reasonably likely you'll lose a few soldiers along the way and it's okay if you do.

nah, regular veteran

I know it's ok and all, and to bring rookies once and again, it's just like

damnit

I liked that guy :(

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Name them after people or SA posters you don't like, that way you won't get attached to them :twisted:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

nah, regular veteran

I know it's ok and all, and to bring rookies once and again, it's just like

damnit

I liked that guy :(

I'm not ashamed to admit I reloaded from auto saves twice in my last XCOM 2 game on Commander. I let a few people die but there were two times when I was like "no, that's bullshit" and loaded.

I'm also the guy who restarts the level any time someone dies in Fire Emblem but refuses not to play on Classic so don't ever listen to me :v:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Name them after people or SA posters you don't like, that way you won't get attached to them :twisted:

i hope everyone enjoys their army of cool time traveling hitmen

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

People who play J and SRPG's tend to be interested in the plot of games.

those people also really enjoy the support conversations in fire emblem, which are still good and fine

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

CJacobs posted:

surely there's a character limit for unit names ??

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

oddium posted:

Just name one "All T. Humans" and you'll have it about covered

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

oddium posted:

You can shorten FactsAreUseless to FAU

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Phantasium posted:

It is basically a beat for beat remake of the original gameboy game, down to enemy AI and amount of dialog.

Like if you can't imagine popping in the original cartridge and playing it again, it's not going to be terribly different outside of the obvious graphical and music improvements (the music is so loving good).

The UI is bad but that's because it was a phone game first and the UI ends up only blocking like dungeon walls, it's pretty easy to see.

okay that helps me make an informed decision on what to do. Thanks for the info!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

remember when xcom 2 came out and people were like "bernie sanders soloed this map for me while clinton took donations from the aliens "

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

You can shorten FactsAreUseless to FAU
No, use a nickname. Facts "Are" Useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Fax R Usles

• Locked thread