Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
There's a certain kind of thought that pops up from time to time. Especially in this forum although it's certainly not limited to here. We just need to wait for all the elderly to die before we can vote in good politicians. All old people are racist, or ignorant, or afraid, and vote for bad things. Baby Boomers are the worst generation. The Boomers are just sucking up every resource they can before they die. And other variations.

But it's gone from a kind of background radiation to being pretty front and center with the Brexit vote

The elderly have less time to live with the consequences of their vote. That image has been posted a lot recently, and I think it's not too hard to see what the next step from that thinking is. Since the elderly don't have to live with the consequences of their votes, should they be allowed to vote? That's the question people seem to be tip-toeing right up to, or dancing around. But I say let's have it out.

Should people over a certain age lose the right to vote?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Can't vote if you're dead.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

I think so along with Mandatory voting being a thing so that young adults actually get off their rear end.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I think old people have an unfortunate statistical tendency towards being complete idiots in general, but no, OP, taking away people's right to vote because you don't agree with them is not a good thing.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

my dad posted:

I think old people have an unfortunate statistical tendency towards being complete idiots in general, but no, OP, taking away people's right to vote because you don't agree with them is not a good thing.

Exactly this. Don't gently caress with voting rights.

Also, the idea that old people don't have to live with their decisions only makes sense if you think that none of them have children or grandchildren that they care for.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
This is just simple ageism! Someone's age has no bearing whatsoever on their faculties and fitness for various activities.

That's why I think children who can reach the pedals should be allowed to drive and smoke cigarettes.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

WampaLord posted:

Exactly this. Don't gently caress with voting rights.

Also, the idea that old people don't have to live with their decisions only makes sense if you think that none of them have children or grandchildren that they care for.

Also elderly people are often much more dependent on state benefits than others, meaning they can be disproportionately affected by budget cuts etc.

And LOL at the idea that "they don't have to live with their decisions". They don't know when they are going to die, in the UK if an 80 year old votes and lives till they are 95 that's still 3 successive governments they will live through, not exactly 'nothing'.

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Absolutely. We can even make it bipartisan- tie voting rights to working. People old enough to retire have no "skin in the game," just like those who collect welfare, SS, too young to work, etc. Universal suffrage- as long as you're invested enough in the country to be contributing to the GDP.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Doomtalker posted:

Absolutely. We can even make it bipartisan- tie voting rights to working. People old enough to retire have no "skin in the game," just like those who collect welfare, SS, too young to work, etc. Universal suffrage- as long as you're invested enough in the country to be contributing to the GDP.

I've got a better idea. Service Guarantees Citizenship. Would you like to know more?

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Doomtalker posted:

If you're welfare or pension dependent you have more "skin in the game" than anyone else.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
harold shipman did nothing wrong

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

TomViolence posted:

If you're welfare or pension dependent you have more "skin in the game" than anyone else.
But they do have a conflict of interest, and therefore should be excluded.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
So we should stop bigotry by being bigoted against the elderly. That makes sense.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I think voting should be for 25yos and over. Or you could tie it to national insurance contributions. 18 captures a lot of socially unproductive ppl these days.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Abolish elections, bring back the divine right of kings.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Technogeek posted:

Hail Satan.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Serene Republic only legitimate republic imo.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think that letting the elderly vote is a lesser evil and, while a bad thing, is less of a bad thing than taking away their right to vote. It's possible to simultaneously believe that the elderly are generally dumber than the rest of the population while also realizing that preventing them (or any other demographic) from voting causes far more problems than it solves.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
What we need to do is bring back weighted voting. Divide the population into age brackets like in the graphic in the OP, and then calculate a factor for each bracket to figure out how their vote is weighted. The oldest group is defined as having a weight of 1. In this case, you end up with:

Vote weight
18-24: 4.3
25-49: 3.3
50-64: 1.9
65+: 1

Applying those values to the Remain/Leave numbers above, and the total population of each bracket, you'd end up with:

59 million votes for Remain
50.9 million votes for Leave.

Adjusting for turnout, Remain would still win, unless turnout among the 18-24 and 24-49 brackets dropped to around 40% while the other two were at 100%. We have thus succeeded in our objective of nullifying old farts.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

we should take a page from the Inuit and give our eld to the ice

But realtalk,

my dad posted:

I hare to say it, but I agree with this. Abolishing voting rights never ends well, even if there are obvious benefits in this case.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Technogeek posted:

Mencius Moldbug alt account detected

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Youth have a lack of life experience and do not have the knowledge to make properly informed political decisions. The franchise should be exclusively limited to socially respectable property owners above the age of 50, who've made something of themselves and will have the proper disposition to soberly and responsibly guide a country.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm going to echo the thoughts that restricting voting rights is wrong, there's simply too much room for abuse. But I'm also going to echo the thoughts that we go full Logan's Run and start filling everyone aged 80 and above. You had a good run, grandpa, but it's time for Renewal.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Who What Now posted:

start filling everyone aged 80 and above.

Ewww no that's gross.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I only have one question for people who think olds shouldn't be voting: at what age do you plan to stop voting?

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!
Ironic that the people who have contributed the most to society should have less a say than someone who just graduated high school and MAYBE waited tables part time.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

PT6A posted:

Ewww no that's gross.

Listen, sometimes you have to take one for the team. Just lie back and think of England.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

EasternBronze posted:

Ironic that the people who have contributed the most to society should have less a say than someone who just graduated high school and MAYBE waited tables part time.

That's not how you use the word "ironic". But otherwise yeah I agree. Their way of thinking is backward and irrelevant. And I am unconvinced that they contributed more to society than the high schooler just because they're older. That's ageism.

LGD posted:

Youth have a lack of life experience and do not have the knowledge to make properly informed political decisions. The franchise should be exclusively limited to socially respectable property owners above the age of 50, who've made something of themselves and will have the proper disposition to soberly and responsibly guide a country.

Are you a MIGF rereg? Cause drat this is pretty good.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Basement dwelling weeaboo freak stops playing his rape-themed anime card game down for long enough to identify the real obstacle in his life: Mom and Dad.

And a new political movement is born.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The real problem is that seniors have more influence in democratic systems because they're reliable voters, and young people are not. If you want to fix that, the solution is for young people to get off their loving lazy asses and exercise their right to vote, not to take it away from other people. There aren't so many seniors that they would comprise a majority in pretty much any western society, it's just that they're the ones who're actually voting.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

PT6A posted:

The real problem is that seniors have more influence in democratic systems because they're reliable voters, and young people are not. If you want to fix that, the solution is for young people to get off their loving lazy asses and exercise their right to vote, not to take it away from other people. There aren't so many seniors that they would comprise a majority in pretty much any western society, it's just that they're the ones who're actually voting.
Alternatively, to offset the structural differences which allow older citizens to vote more regularly, divide voters into age brackets and multiply the votes in any given bracket to be equal to a 100% turnout.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Alternatively, to offset the structural differences which allow older citizens to vote more regularly, divide voters into age brackets and multiply the votes in any given bracket to be equal to a 100% turnout.

Oh you mean like being more likely to be poor and in ill health? Yeah, those olds sure have it made! :rolleyes:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

How about we make election days a national holiday?

Or extend early voting in all states?

Or have mail in voting available in all states?

Basically we should expand voting rights and not be reducing anyone's votes.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Like maybe keeping polls open longer? But no, lets propose an easily manipulated weighting system. If you're too lazy to vote, I don't care about your opinion. Older people show up because... *gasp* they know voting matters, something they've learned in their life.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
No, don't revoke anything.

Just make voting mandatory. Many countries already do. More turnout is always better and balances out the old people overrepresentation you get with optional ballots.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

WampaLord posted:

How about we make election days a national holiday?

Or extend early voting in all states?

Or have mail in voting available in all states?

Basically we should expand voting rights and not be reducing anyone's votes.
We're not all living in America dude, I'm coming up with an international solution.

xwing posted:

Like maybe keeping polls open longer? But no, lets propose an easily manipulated weighting system. If you're too lazy to vote, I don't care about your opinion. Older people show up because... *gasp* they know voting matters, something they've learned in their life.
But this system doesn't care about the opinion of the people who are too laze to vote. Rather, it takes the people who go against the trends in their age bracket and rewards them with more influence, for being good citizens who take their responsibilities seriously. Deciding to vote when half your peers decide not to clearly proves you're deserving of a greater say, while doing the same when 90% of your peers vote is not such a big deal. This system would also encourage politicians to care more about the youth vote, which in turn could make young people care more about politics, rather than decide it's just for old people because those are the only ones politicians care about.

PT6A posted:

Oh you mean like being more likely to be poor and in ill health? Yeah, those olds sure have it made! :rolleyes:
It is far from a given that old people are more likely to be poor, depending on the country. In any case, no one claimed old people had it made.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

A Buttery Pastry posted:

But this system doesn't care about the opinion of the people who are too laze to vote. Rather, it takes the people who go against the trends in their age bracket and rewards them with more influence, for being good citizens who take their responsibilities seriously. Deciding to vote when half your peers decide not to clearly proves you're deserving of a greater say, while doing the same when 90% of your peers vote is not such a big deal. This system would also encourage politicians to care more about the youth vote, which in turn could make young people care more about politics, rather than decide it's just for old people because those are the only ones politicians care about.

IIRC, there's also some big discrepancies in voter turnout among different races. Would your system apply to race too?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
To nip this one in the bud, A Buttery Pastry's posts tend to be homages to "A Modest Proposal"

Sorry for ruining the joke, everyone.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

IIRC, there's also some big discrepancies in voter turnout among different races. Would your system apply to race too?
Absolutely. Of course there is the issue of ensuring anonymity and not somehow making it easier to gently caress with votes, but I'm assuming that's possible. If not then it's obviously back to the drawing board.

my dad posted:

To nip this one in the bud, A Buttery Pastry's posts tend to be homages to "A Modest Proposal"

Sorry for ruining the joke, everyone.
Tend to would be stretching it, I think. Occasionally maybe. I'm not entirely joking here though, even if I'm not certain either how workable a solution it would be, but I figured coming up with alternate ideas to simply going "Can't vote after 65" would be more interesting than just writing "No, senior suffrage should not be revoked".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Can't say I haven't sometimes defended weird-rear end ideas I wouldn't consider otherwise just because it was entertaining to participate in a debate with a handicap. :v:

A Buttery Pastry posted:

We're not all living in America dude, I'm coming up with an international solution.

How about :commissar:-ing the politicians who keep pension levels just above the minimum needed to avoid starving while blaming it on everyone else, and then threaten that pensions will drop further if they're voted out of power? Doesn't entirely solve the problem, but I bet the sound of the firing squad would be enrapturing.

• Locked thread