Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Angepain posted:

oh that was totally of my time as well. I didn't watch it that much because I was scared of the scary things, this is the story of my life right here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AXseEnXtsc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How does it feel Brits, after having mocked us mercilessly for electing Bush and idiocracy that followed, to now have earned your Bush moment with Brexit, eh? Now you'll get a taste of our bitter medicine from last decade, being even with us and all. May neolibs get hosed. :cawg:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Never being scared of The Cowardly Dog's stuff and getting to see the show bravely handle dating abuse made it my favorite kids show before DBZ.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

TomViolence posted:

We remain boned and shall continue to be boned. Any far-fetched fantasy we have of weaseling out of article 50 is a pipedream. We are the sick cat vomiting on the rug of europe.

Still don't think that's true. Right now there's no way anyone will commit to blocking it, because the people who voted Leave haven't seen any real negative consequences yet, so it would just look like the political elite overturning a result they didn't like and stealing the bright promised future of infinite opportunities

But when things to bite and people start to realise this is becoming a serious problem we can't BRITANE our way out of, and none of the promises can be fulfilled anyway without the UK sinking into the sea, there'll be more appetite for a pragmatic decision. If public opinion shifts away from exiting (including the media if their owners start to hurt) I reckon there's a better chance that the government will quit stalling and ditch the whole thing like they want to

I mean that's assuming the UK's position in the EU is even remotely tenable anymore

Oh dear clone
Apr 8, 2016

TomViolence posted:

This country's referenda are slowly bringing me around to the idea that democracy is a bad idea.

Because it's not like other forms of government ever make bad decisions.

Seems to me it's an especially bad time to cast doubt on the value of democracy when we're moving fashwards generally.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Gove's swift and brutal ratfucking of Boris really drives home how utterly incompetent the Labour plotters are. The reason it worked so well is because it was unexpected and came from one of his closest allies and expected consigliere. By contrast, the Labour plotters had never even tried to make it look as if they were cooperating with Corbyn, instead focusing on leaking everything they possibly could to Laura Kuenssberg or other hacks to the extent that the exact form and timing of this coup appeared in the Telegraph in May. Surely not showing everyone your hand should be basic common sense, especially if you're playing with a 2 and a 7.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Hahahahahaha rational decision-making. Hahahahahahahahahaha. Good one, fellas. Even before this shite broke off things weren't exactly going swimmingly. We had the likes of Gidiot pursuing austerity year in, year out despite all evidence pointing to it not just being ineffective but counterproductive. We flatout cannot trust our government to act in the national interest and they will gently caress us savagely just to save face.

Hope is a lie.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Grouchio posted:

How does it feel Brits, after having mocked us mercilessly for electing Bush and idiocracy that followed, to now have earned your Bush moment with Brexit, eh? Now you'll get a taste of our bitter medicine from last decade, being even with us and all. May neolibs get hosed. :cawg:

Depends, if you guys vote in Trump you've got Top Trumps in lovely decisions once again.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Pure democracy is a bad idea inasmuch as it allows things like this to happen, as well as being unwieldy and generally prone to tyranny of the majority. This is why every nominally "democratic" country has systems to make sure the will of the people can be subverted when it's necessary to do so. The UK is no different; the major fuckup in this case was allowing the referendum to happen at all, whether or not it's binding. Making it an advisory referendum instead of a binding referendum was a good idea in theory, but in practice it'll cause an issue if the will of the people is seen to be ignored at this point.

Democratic systems of government are good not because they always reflect the desires and whims of the population, but because they make the government accountable to the people.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

that redtext tho ^^^^^^^^

Oh dear clone
Apr 8, 2016

PT6A posted:

Pure democracy is a bad idea inasmuch as it allows things like this to happen, as well as being unwieldy and generally prone to tyranny of the majority.

Representative democracy allows things like this to happen. Oligarchy and monarchy (etc) allow things like this to happen. There is no system of government that prevents people from ever making bad decisions. Democracy is good because people who have no power get exploited or crushed, not because if you keep people in a dark cellar and feed them poo poo they won't say anything stupid if temporarily given a megaphone.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Democracy isn't bad, but as a tool it can be used to enshrine really bad things as some kind of moral imperative, just by staging and winning a vote in some form. Just because someone in power posed a carefully framed question about some action, and a plurality of people answered in a certain way for whatever reason, it doesn't automatically justify that action being carried out

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Oh dear clone posted:

Democracy is good because people who have no power get exploited or crushed

Tyranny of the majority though. Is it democratic for some authority to impose checks and balances on what a majority vote can actually do? Or on what kind of votes can even be held? It's usually pretty important at least

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

baka kaba posted:

Tyranny of the majority though. Is it democratic for some authority to impose checks and balances on what a majority vote can actually do? Or on what kind of votes can even be held? It's usually pretty important at least

Yeah. Guaranteed human rights are, in a sense, anti-democratic. The people of North Carolina support their idiotic prohibition on trans people using public washrooms, so to deny that prohibition is anti-democratic. To allow the prohibition goes against fundamental human rights.

It's incredibly important that democracy be limited, just like it's very important that the wonderful Free Market be strongly regulated.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

baka kaba posted:

But when things to bite and people start to realise this is becoming a serious problem we can't BRITANE our way out of, and none of the promises can be fulfilled anyway without the UK sinking into the sea, there'll be more appetite for a pragmatic decision. If public opinion shifts away from exiting (including the media if their owners start to hurt) I reckon there's a better chance that the government will quit stalling and ditch the whole thing like they want to

I'm pretty sure that this will be the strategy of whatever government ends up in place a few months down the line: sit tight, make vague noises about implementing Brexit and wait for the economic consequences of the vote to really start hurting people. After a year or so of recession, job losses, spending cuts and (prepare to clutch your pearls) falls in house prices! , the public will be much more receptive to the message that perhaps this wasn't such a good idea after all.

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

You guys get how dangerous "democracy has failed" alongside economic depression and the right-wing populist scapegoating of some Other is right?

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Irony is lost on...

Well irony is just lost. Democracy is poo poo, but until the proles get woke and smash the state it's the best we can do.

I mean at least with democracy we only kill brown people on the other side of the world, right?

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011

brawleh posted:

You guys get how dangerous "democracy has failed" alongside economic depression and the right-wing populist scapegoating of some Other is right?

http://indy100.independent.co.uk/article/people-are-calling-out-ukips-new-antieu-poster-for-resembling-outright-nazi-propaganda--WkTYUB18EW

Yes, without going all :godwin: the similarity has been noticed. And pointed out.

When we call Farage and UKIP fascists in this thread, it's sadly not as hyperbolic as you'd hope.

E: Another bit of evidence folk may have missed - a UKIP Lord in Parliament suggests we hold the stronger hand in EU negotiations, because there are more here than there are UK citizens in the EU (an oversimplification - we're all currently EU citizens, but you get the idea);

http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/30/ukip-lord-calls-for-eu-nationals-to-be-used-as-hostages-in-brussels-discussions-5975655/#ixzz4D8Nj8XCV

quote:

‘When present tensions have calmed down, why would either Brussels or London want to do anything to upset this mutually beneficial situation?’

‘Do the Government agree however, that if the EU were to get difficult with our nationals living there, it is we who would hold the stronger hand if we retaliate, because so many more of them are living here?’

Laradus fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jul 1, 2016

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Millions just voted to leave a democracy because fascists told them it was undemocratic. :shrug:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

PT6A posted:

Pure democracy is a bad idea inasmuch as it allows things like this to happen, as well as being unwieldy and generally prone to tyranny of the majority. This is why every nominally "democratic" country has systems to make sure the will of the people can be subverted when it's necessary to do so. The UK is no different; the major fuckup in this case was allowing the referendum to happen at all, whether or not it's binding. Making it an advisory referendum instead of a binding referendum was a good idea in theory, but in practice it'll cause an issue if the will of the people is seen to be ignored at this point.

Democratic systems of government are good not because they always reflect the desires and whims of the population, but because they make the government accountable to the people.

PT6A posted:

Yeah. Guaranteed human rights are, in a sense, anti-democratic. The people of North Carolina support their idiotic prohibition on trans people using public washrooms, so to deny that prohibition is anti-democratic. To allow the prohibition goes against fundamental human rights.

It's incredibly important that democracy be limited, just like it's very important that the wonderful Free Market be strongly regulated.

I am agreeing with PT6A here. What has Brexit done to this world.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

Millions just voted to leave a democracy because fascists told them it was undemocratic. :shrug:

:godwin: hitler got elected democratically you know

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Angela Eagle is supposedly delaying her leadership bid longer to give Corbyn "more time to do the right thing". Also, for what it's worth, the rolling coverage on the BBC website has changed from "Brexit, Tory leadership and Labour leadership latest" to "Brexit and Tory leadership latest".

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Direct democracy could be a great system if had the right supporting institutions. Namely a free and fair press, a robust educational system, a balanced economic system, and a culture of open mindedness and tolerance. Sadly Britain and most other Western countries have none of these things.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Chomskyan posted:

Direct democracy could be a great system if had the right supporting institutions. Namely a free and fair press, a robust educational system, a balanced economic system, and a culture of open mindedness and tolerance. Sadly Britain and most other Western countries have none of these things.

People have been saying that direct democracy in Europe will be great once the people are ready for like 200 years at least.

Oh dear clone
Apr 8, 2016

baka kaba posted:

It is democratic when those checks and balances are democratically created, yes. Democracy allows everyone an equal say in an organization; it does not prohibit it from setting up rules requiring quorums, due notice, proper information etc.

When tyranny beckons, the fewer people who are powerless against it the better.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
"direct democracy would be great if nobody actually had any substantive disagreements on such trivial questions as what might constitute a free and fair press, a robust educational system, a balanced economic system, or a culture of open mindedness and tolerance"

I, too, enthusiastically vote on whether the wheelie bins should be emptied twice or thrice a week.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Referendums on everything except the things I consider important

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I wonder what's going to happen today.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_referendum,_1933

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Grouchio posted:

You're about to elect Trump. I don't think we could do worse than that if we voted to give complete control of the country to one of The Queen's corgis.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
it's the eternal Lib Dem angst. Proportional representation forever - except that we'd get swamped by 'kippers, far more of them than overeducated genteel Green Party types. Abolish the Lords - except that it is the remaining bastion of sanity in a sea of institutional dysfunction. Abolish appointed regional offices and render all of them elected - except that either the same entrenched class easily wins election as Dogcatcher of Nowhere and proceeds with even less oversight because of their shiny new democratic mandate, or some populist charlatan sweeps into office and begins wanton schemes of embezzlement that PricewaterhouseCoopers will have to carefully and expensively unpick five years later.

and a fixed term parliament, well, the problem of a government with a weak mandate that nevertheless resists removal is currently being demonstrated live

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

I'm predicting Eagle decides not to challenge Corbyn

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

serious gaylord posted:

Corbyn breaths in public area. Did you know you can catch many diseases through airborne transmission? The NHS is already struggling and Corbyn is freely and willingly spreading disease. Corbyn refuses to apologies for this. Ergo we are justified in printing the headline "Corbyn calls for NHS to be dismantled".

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

serious gaylord posted:

Michael Gove pulls out of Conservative leadership race and launches surprise challenge to Corbyn
Ken Livingstone launches a Labour leadership bid on a platform of changing the party name to HITLERHITLERHITLERHITLER
Someone from the european commission issues a statement in rather technical language whose meaning isn't entirely clear to people without a deep understanding of trade negotiations and diplomacy but loosely translates to "lmao you guys are so screwed"
In a private ceremony, Theresa May removes her flesh mask and completes the evisceration of Boris's career in the traditional Tory manner by eating his heart while he still lives according to the ritual of F'yar-lathashk

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
also, Alistair Campbell: not all bad, really!

(a letter, published in the Sun, sent to Kelvin Mackenzie in response to his "oh dear, maybe this wasn't such a good idea" bit)

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011
I don't disagree with his sentiment, but Campbell lecturing someone on being part of a propaganda machine and well-sorted is more than a little :ironicat:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

LemonDrizzle posted:

Michael Gove pulls out of Conservative leadership race and launches surprise challenge to Corbyn
Ken Livingstone launches a Labour leadership bid on a platform of changing the party name to HITLERHITLERHITLERHITLER
Someone from the european commission issues a statement in rather technical language whose meaning isn't entirely clear to people without a deep understanding of trade negotiations and diplomacy but loosely translates to "lmao you guys are so screwed"
In a private ceremony, Theresa May removes her flesh mask and completes the evisceration of Boris's career in the traditional Tory manner by eating his heart while he still lives according to the ritual of F'yar-lathashk

"Gove pulls out of leader race and May is the anointed frontrunner" is actually a headline I would not be at all surprised to see today. The Tories have turned cloak and dagger politics into performance art.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Laradus posted:

I don't disagree with his sentiment, but Campbell lecturing someone on being part of a propaganda machine and well-sorted is more than a little :ironicat:

the Blairites, by any indication, sincerely believed in propaganda as a necessity for Good Policy (however defined)

it's why they didn't say anything about immigration. because there was nothing to say that would work

naturally any practitioner of this worldview regards someone who's in it to sell copies of The Sun as a dark wizard of the worst order

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
in which Liam Fox applies modus tollens:

quote:

I do not believe there is room for membership of the single market, if it entails free movement of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda
He'd bring a lot of passion to "Great Backstabbers of the Conservative Party." Loads of material there.

• Locked thread