Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

EvilGenius posted:

I asked in the June thread what Murdoch got out of this, and I got the feeling it was nothing beyond decades of convenient 'us and them' narrative. Now he's going to have to find another enemy.

Well if we come out of this Labour mess with a genuinely left-wing and reinvigorated opposition, he gets to smile and make sure the culture war will only get nastier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

EvilGenius posted:

I do wonder what exactly The Sun and The Express are for now. They could go with the angle of 'pressure on politicians to negotiate Brexit FOR BRITUN' but their readers will have fallen asleep before the end of that sentence, and there's not much milage in it. They have a pretty compelling narrative to replace, and nothing to replace it with. The EU was an ideal villain - people know gently caress all about what it really is, leaving it wide open for tabloid to paint whatever picture they want, safe in the knowledge that politicians would never be dumb enough to... oh poo poo.

I asked in the June thread what Murdoch got out of this, and I got the feeling it was nothing beyond decades of convenient 'us and them' narrative. Now he's going to have to find another enemy.

I, uh, hate to disillusion your optimistic view of humanity, but LIBERAL ELITES (WHO SIDE WITH THOSE PEOPLE) is not exactly a difficult narrative to sell

in Murdochtopia his readership lives in unceasing terror in fortified villages with no streetlamps, paved roads, firemen, or schools, because to pay for any of those will involve TAXES and we all know that TAXES won't go to any of those it'll actually go to LIBERAL ELITES who will then give it to THOSE PEOPLE so we must have NO TAXES

which, for Murdoch personally, comes down to the last two words and nothing else

ronya fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jul 1, 2016

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Baron Corbyn posted:

Shami Chakrabarti

She actually made a very good point on the radio when she was asked why Corbyn didn't speak up during the heckle. She simply pointed out that she was chairing the meeting, and it wouldn't have been very feminist of Corbyn to assume she couldn't handle it herself and do it for her.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

radmonger posted:

Plebiscites were actually a favored tool of fascist regimes. For example, in a move with absolutely no parallels with recent events, in 1933 they held one on leaving the League of Nations.

In general, 'one man, one vote, once' is not what most people mean by democracy. What it does mean is you have to persuade people to change their mind, not ignore them.

Moving the option polls by >4% over the course of next yearm or two really doesn't sound impossible.

What difference would this make? If a new referendum was held in January and Remain won by 52% should we all pretend nothing happened until the next 52% Leave referendum in 2018 or 19 or 20? Is that our lot now, to cyclically go through economic crisis every couple of years when the Brits feel a bit more nostalgic? I don't think you can put this toothpaste back in the tube.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Quebec eventually got tired of the drama

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ronya posted:

which, for Murdoch personally, comes down to the last two words and nothing else
We must secure the existence of our people and a future for rich children.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

ronya posted:

I, uh, hate to disillusion your optimistic view of humanity, but LIBERAL ELITES (WHO SIDE WITH THOSE PEOPLE) is not exactly a difficult narrative to sell

in Murdochtopia his readership lives in unceasing terror in fortified villages with no streetlamps, paved roads, firemen, or schools, because to pay for any of those will involve TAXES and we all know that TAXES won't go to any of those it'll actually go to LIBERAL ELITES who will then give it to THOSE PEOPLE so we must have NO TAXES

Much as we like to think The Sun pick a narrative and tell their readers that that's what they believe, if they even get a whiff of their readers turning against them, they'll adapt. They switched to Labour for Blair when they realised he was more popular, and that their Tory centric story was getting harder to sell. oval office McKenzie's column was them testing the waters. Is there resentment towards Brexit? Are readers worried or proud?

I'm not saying they're going to switch any time soon, but at the end of the day they're interested in selling papers and not a lot more.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

EvilGenius posted:

I do wonder what exactly The Sun and The Express are for now. They could go with the angle of 'pressure on politicians to negotiate Brexit FOR BRITUN' but their readers will have fallen asleep before the end of that sentence, and there's not much milage in it. They have a pretty compelling narrative to replace, and nothing to replace it with. The EU was an ideal villain - people know gently caress all about what it really is, and it has virtually no bearing on people's day to day lives, leaving it wide open for tabloid to paint whatever picture they want, safe in the knowledge that politicians would never be dumb enough to... oh poo poo.

Lol no, "Europe" will be blamed until the heat death of the universe.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
people know gently caress-all about the EU, it's true, but they also know gently caress-all about their own country's civil service, its parliament, its demographic and economic makeup, its budget, etc

LIBERAL

ELITES

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

EvilGenius posted:

oval office McKenzie
I will be sad if this isn't a Viz character.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

forkboy84 posted:

It's not worth anything, but despite being a regular Yougov user, who they will know is a Labour member, they didn't ask me about the Labour leadership. Instead the last survey I got was about internet browsers. God it was so dull. I loving loathe those brand surveys they do.

Out of interest, are the points/rewards you get from participating actually worth your while financially? It's always unclear what the actual reward is from the website.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Aliquid posted:

i wonder if tony blair would have been a more principled leftist had we not strongarmed him into baghdad

Assuming 'we' means America, you didn't. If anything America wanted lower participation from us than actually happened. He eagerly volunteered for our part in the intervention. He pushed Bush for us to have a bigger part in the whole clusterfuck than we otherwise would have had.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Prince John posted:

Out of interest, are the points/rewards you get from participating actually worth your while financially? It's always unclear what the actual reward is from the website.

You get 50 points a survey and once you get 5000 then you can get a cheque for I think £50? I started but the surveys dried up fairly quickly (I think I got invites about once a fortnight). Basically I lost interest way before getting close to money, which is probably not uncommon.

Edit: I did make money doing survveys on Toluna but you have to be willing to answer the most tedious questions about things like how the word bouncy makes you feel in relation to shampoo adverts for about 90 minutes a day every day. After about 2 months I decided I would rather pay than answer another question about what quality I thought was most important for cat food.

hookerbot 5000 fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jul 1, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah but God told him to. He's not a terrorist he's just mentally ill etc. etc.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Prince John posted:

Not unless you actively enjoy taking part in the surveys. It takes a lot to make it up to the cash reward. You can enter yourself into prize draws for significantly less points but there's not much chance of winning of course.

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!

hookerbot 5000 posted:

You get 50 points a survey and once you get 5000 then you can get a cheque for I think £50? I started but the surveys dried up fairly quickly (I think I got invites about once a fortnight). Basically I lost interest way before getting close to money, which is probably not uncommon.

Yeah. I reached like 1000 points and then got no more surveys. Maybe I was giving the wrong answers.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

EvilGenius posted:

Much as we like to think The Sun pick a narrative and tell their readers that that's what they believe, if they even get a whiff of their readers turning against them, they'll adapt. They switched to Labour for Blair when they realised he was more popular, and that their Tory centric story was getting harder to sell. oval office McKenzie's column was them testing the waters. Is there resentment towards Brexit? Are readers worried or proud?

I'm not saying they're going to switch any time soon, but at the end of the day they're interested in selling papers and not a lot more.

the Tories had spent the past decade dallying with Europeanist fancies, what with the ERM and the purge of the Atlanticist Tory camp in the late Thatcher-Major years, and had to be shown appropriate humility to the press

and, well, it's a sign of the times in conceding an incontestable right to sell papers

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
http://rachaelwrd.tumblr.com/post/146702311843/letter-of-resignation-from-london-young-labour

quote:

But in the past few days even this tokenistic regard for democracy vanished when the Chair released a statement calling for the resignation of the leader of the Labour Party ‘signed by the London Young Labour Executive Committee’ without so much as consultation with the Committee, never mind putting it to a vote.

Burn my home city down, TIA.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
On a non-Brexit note, anyone in London see the soldiers at stations this morning? If you speak to them they just hand you a card. It's a really powerful tribute, they're like ghosts.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

EvilGenius posted:

You're about to elect Trump. I don't think we could do worse than that if we voted to give complete control of the country to one of The Queen's corgis.

"After an inexplicable, miraculous recovery, historians agree that the real fall of the UK began during fierce disagreements on the "Who's A Good Boy" referendum."

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

MeLKoR posted:

What difference would this make? If a new referendum was held in January and Remain won by 52% should we all pretend nothing happened until the next 52% Leave referendum in 2018 or 19 or 20? Is that our lot now, to cyclically go through economic crisis every couple of years when the Brits feel a bit more nostalgic? I don't think you can put this toothpaste back in the tube.

4% opinion poll shift to get into power on a platform of 'don't poo poo the bed'. Then use that power to make popular changes for the better.

Notice how it is a major handicap to one of the Tory leadership contenders that they once opposed gay marriage?

That is what democratic political victory looks like. It's not going to be reversed any time soon. Even if we go full fascist, they will be gay-friendly fascists.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Somehow Labour have managed to avoid keeping the Tories off the front page of the papers today. Astonishing.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
When is the UK due to take the EU presidency again? It was supposed to be in the next year or so right?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Next century

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

radmonger posted:

That is what democratic political victory looks like. It's not going to be reversed any time soon. Even if we go full fascist, they will be gay-friendly fascists.

you've not met many fash then

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/peterwalker99/status/748808618888224768

o Labour left, where is your sense of adventure

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

radmonger posted:

4% opinion poll shift to get into power on a platform of 'don't poo poo the bed'. Then use that power to make popular changes for the better.

Notice how it is a major handicap to one of the Tory leadership contenders that they once opposed gay marriage?

Until they get rid of all the Polish people. As was posted in the June thread there's been people singing on the streets about kicking out the gays after they've finished with the Poles.

Violence is already happening and it will get worse as they get bored with just singing.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ronya posted:

Quebec eventually got tired of the drama
Quebec never passed a Leave referendum and the last one was some 20 years ago. Does anyone think UKIP would go away if they lost a new referendum in January?

You have to go through with this and settle it once and for all, we all know it's going to happen sooner or later. There is no point in keeping the UK in the EU until you have first hand experience of being out and you chose to rejoin. Maybe in 20 years time with a 2/3 majority vote but to be honest even then I would hesitate. I simply no longer trust the UK not to throw everything to the dogs any time some of you feel that Rule the Waves nostalgia.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Baron Corbyn posted:

Not unless you actively enjoy taking part in the surveys. It takes a lot to make it up to the cash reward. You can enter yourself into prize draws for significantly less points but there's not much chance of winning of course.

Thanks all. Think I'll give that a miss then!

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

ronya posted:

https://twitter.com/peterwalker99/status/748808618888224768

o Labour left, where is your sense of adventure

By adventure do you mean intentionally running the UK economy even further into the ground?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

David Hare has a good piece on this "revolution" and how it will devour itself.

Most interesting is his suggestion that this is the death of the conservative party if it can't even stand for free markets.

haakman
May 5, 2011
Just spent since Monday on the Isle of Arran (lovely btw - gently caress England, Scotland is where it is at) with no phone reception/minimal internet. I get back and see Michael 'Malleus Doctores' Gove might be PM?!?

This country is loving insane, I mean.... what?!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

vodkat posted:

By adventure do you mean intentionally running the UK economy even further into the ground?

He's being sarcastic.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

vodkat posted:

well if you really sincerely believe that the City is value-subtracting, then it's really helping the UK economy to soar to greater heights, right?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

MeLKoR posted:

Quebec never passed a Leave referendum and the last one was some 20 years ago. Does anyone think UKIP would go away if they lost a new referendum in January?

You have to go through with this and settle it once and for all, we all know it's going to happen sooner or later. There is no point in keeping the UK in the EU until you have first hand experience of being out and you chose to rejoin. Maybe in 20 years time with a 2/3 majority vote but to be honest even then I would hesitate. I simply no longer trust the UK not to throw everything to the dogs any time some of you feel that Rule the Waves nostalgia.

Deport all kippers to the continent without passports.

haakman posted:

Just spent since Monday on the Isle of Arran (lovely btw - gently caress England, Scotland is where it is at) with no phone reception/minimal internet. I get back and see Michael 'Malleus Doctores' Gove might be PM?!?

This country is loving insane, I mean.... what?!

Or Theresa "I drink the blood of orphans" May.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
can anyone explain service tariffs to the economically illiterate (me) and how this would affect 80% of our entire economy? i assume that the cost of doing business abroad would go up (and the cost at home if you depend on a foreign supplier)? what are these tariffs that would apply? is it stuff like local vat?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

radmonger posted:

So, you're expecting full communism any day now? Let's be serious, nothing is going to change to the point where the working class is no longer disenfranchised or at least they are pissed at the right people. It took decades to get where you are, it will take decades to fix this up. Once they go reactionary it's pretty hard to go back because everything you tell them will be dismissed as "more claptrap from bleeding heart liberals" if you are lucky, "treasonous communist talk" if not.
I'm not saying nothing can be done, just that the world where the UK working class has no motive to go reactionary is not the world we live in at the moment.

quote:

Yeah, no. Once the fash is out of the bag all of that will be rolled back in no time.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jul 1, 2016

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Metrication posted:

can anyone explain service tariffs to the economically illiterate (me) and how this would affect 80% of our entire economy? i assume that the cost of doing business abroad would go up (and the cost at home if you depend on a foreign supplier)? what are these tariffs that would apply? is it stuff like local vat?

I think the broad strokes is we offer preferential rates on things like moving money around, financing, exports etc etc to nations we share trade agreements with. If you want to sell a sprocket to No Tariffsdonia it costs X+5%, if you want to sell it to France it costs X. We just burned down all our most important trade agreements, so all the businesses in this post globalised world would now be eating a huge loss to stay here. They won't.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

CoolCab posted:

I think the broad strokes is we offer preferential rates on things like moving money around, financing, exports etc etc to nations we share trade agreements with. If you want to sell a sprocket to No Tariffsdonia it costs X+5%, if you want to sell it to France it costs X. We just burned down all our most important trade agreements, so all the businesses in this post globalised world would now be eating a huge loss to stay here. They won't.

All this can be solved if Britannia colonises Continental Europe, South-East Asia, and the Americas. Once those pesky natives are displaced, there will be enough trading partners for ol' Blighty to become wealthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ronya posted:

the Tories had spent the past decade dallying with Europeanist fancies, what with the ERM and the purge of the Atlanticist Tory camp in the late Thatcher-Major years, and had to be shown appropriate humility to the press

and, well, it's a sign of the times in conceding an incontestable right to sell papers
Ahahah holy poo poo so it was Blair that entrenched Murdoch's position in the UK? This man doesn't get nearly enough vitriol compared to Bush. How has he managed to slink by unnoticed (at least internationally)? Good thing Corbyn is trying to get rid of the trash he left behind, there might be hope for Labour yet.

e:

blowfish posted:

Deport all kippers to the continent Syria without passports.

• Locked thread