Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I wonder what's going to happen today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

big scary monsters posted:

I had a deconstructed key lime pie at some fancy restaurant or other and it was very good. I've never tried the normal type though.

anything describing itself as deconstructed can get in the bin.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Oberleutnant posted:

I wonder if bankers will perform better if we can wean them off the coke and onto Amsterdam's dankest chronic....

I imagine the nervousness of the markets would decrease but they would be a lot slower to react to changing circumstances.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Yinlock posted:

What have you said, exactly? You constantly claim Corbyn is unelectable as well as a charismatic devil with a cult of personality, you constantly deploy pedantry to get out of answering any actually substantive question(because the answer is damning) and only recognize anything beyond idiotic semantics when it suits your "argument"(and then immediately back to pedantry when anyone calls you on it).

Either actually argue your points or shut the gently caress up and leave.

Its not a very large leap of logic. Corbyn will win any vote because of the huge influx of labour members that joined up because of him. This makes him popular with labour members. Labour members are not the only labour voters, never mind the wider electorate so while Corbyn will crush anyone in a labour leadership because of his followers, it is very unlikely he would ever win labour a general election.

This is not a strange thing to think, and up until this mess started a few weeks ago quite a few posters in here said the same thing. That Corbyn wasn't there to win a general election, that he was there to change the direction of the party at the next NEC to try and bring labour back to its traditional roots.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

thespaceinvader posted:

They're not interested in electability. They're interested in maintaining the current (more accurately, previous) status quo whereby they have all the power within the Labour Party and the membership is just there to footslog for them rather than to tell them what to do.

They're TERRIFIED of the idea that they would be accountable to their members, because their members would kick a lot of them to the kerb for being poo poo, and then they wouldn't have 75k jobs and free houses in London and massive expense accounts &c &c.

They're being selfish. Whether consciously or not.

Surely if the labour vote collapses and they're voted out at the next election by some hybrid UKIP/Tory party they'd lose that anyway? Maybe they're more concerned about Corbyn causing labour to do a 2015 Lib Dems with the wider electorate than their local CLP having more power?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Oberleutnant posted:

Shut the gently caress up, pissflaps.

Put him on ignore. Your constant posts about him are even more tedious to scroll past.

Yinlock posted:

And that's still a valid argument!

"Huge influx of labour members that joined up because of him" is the key though, we're enterted a temporary bizzarro-zone where the general population is actually giving a poo poo about politics, having an actual principled leftist leader there to galvanize them instead of Milquetoast Centrist #3452 to kill any enthusiasm is a big deal and is why a lot of people are so desperate to get rid of him.

Basically what bugs me is the whole "Them"ing of people who joined Labour because of Corbyn's policies. "Like oh they're just a small minority that joined the cult of personality" kinda stopped being valid when it hit 600,000 loving people.

Also I'm sorry thread, I fell into the Pissflaps trap again of engaging him in any way. I shouldn't encourage his behavior and I apologize.

I would still want to see what the 600,000 bring to the table during an election. Its entirely anecdotal, but of my local labour party only I and 2 others of the 200+ that joined up have even come to a meeting since Corbyn was elected. I know theres another poster on here thats had the same experience. Spending £3 and filling in a form is one thing, actually campaigning is another.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Tesseraction posted:

But does it? If the majority of the membership support him, does it not seem more apparent that your problem with Labour is not its leader, but that Labour as a party do not align with your political worldview?

I know Corbyn would have won the ballot without counting the £3 joiners, but do you know what his majority in that would have been?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

thespaceinvader posted:

A hair under 50% with the party, 57% with the affiliated supporters (i.e. the unions) and 80% with the registered supporters (£3 people).

IIRC even if the Registered Supporters hadn't been there he would have ended up with a 52% majority which is a bigger mandate than basically any election in recent history, except maybe the Junior Doctors' Strike vote.

True, but it does bring it into a bit of perspective and shows the disconnect between half of the (at the time) current members how disagreed with him and the influx of new members who almost uniformaly support Corbyn. Theres a fundamental change in the direction of the party and almost all of the MP's were elected under the previous group.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Tesseraction posted:

As long as Theresa May runs the country he's sorted.

And you're a UKIP voter.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

blowfish posted:

Because Corbyn is all about basic democracy where ~local labour parties~ will select their own candidates, and even if Centrist Empty Suit #253 reluctantly gets out of Corbyn's way they still face a (perhaps slightly lower, but still substantial) risk of being booted out in favour of a homegrown working class candidate.

I'm struggling to work out why all of the PLP would be deselected by their CLP. It doesn't make any sense.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

blowfish posted:

Because all many of them are parachuted-in empty suits who get votes on the basis of "not a tory", and not because the CLP actually likes them.

Do we have any proof of this other than 'people on the internet said?' Not being facetious, I genuinely want to know. Some of these MP's have been in those seats for over a decade. Who's to say that their CLP hasn't been strongly aligned to them over that time anyway?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

OwlFancier posted:

The article on Eagle's ascent to MPship is a good one.

But that was in 1992? Theres been 14 years since that. They didn't want her then, but are those people still in charge?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Tesseraction posted:

*demonstrably on the latter

And yet still had enough of a brain to vote remain.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

qhat posted:

this thread is mostly interesting but every time pissflaps makes a post we're guaranteed to have at least 4 or 5 pages exclusively of fruitless corbyn chat so i'm just saying i think he should be forced to make his point clear

Just a thought but if perhaps posters who love to talk about him when he's not posting or engage him with deliberately vague posts to try and gotcha a 'pedantic off' didn't do that maybe there wouldn't be a 4-5 page derail every time?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Tesseraction posted:

Cry more about it.

I will, often, because idiots like you have ruined my immediate future because of petty racism.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Tesseraction posted:

Sorry I couldn't quite hear you, could you take your tongue out of pissflaps arse before speaking next time?

This is precious.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Tesseraction posted:

You know, this has made me happier about my decision.

Your Britain First membership is in the post.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Yinlock posted:

maybe if he didn't constantly argue in bad faith and be an insufferable pedant there wouldn't be as many people engaging him?

It's like a drunk dude bursting into the room twirling his dick around, and you blame everyone else for telling the guy to gently caress off.

No it isn't. Its like people walking up to a turd, stepping in it then complaining they've got poo poo on their shoe to everyone else. Then the next day they see the same turd again and stamp in it harder while failing to realise they can you know, just not step in the giant turd.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Junior G-man posted:

Was away for the weekend but just caught up with this one.

You know, I genuinely hadn't heard much from Angela Eagle yet (as the papers seem to want to tell me a lot that Cameron told her to 'sit down dear' and That Was Bad), and I do occasionally worry that Corbyn can't win a general election. So I thought, well, I shall genuinely give her a chance to put out her stall and give me a good argument.

But this is just a loving car crash of an interview. There is no substance to this AT ALL. Over and over again it's "I want to heal the party" when the PLP breakaways are the ones who are wrecking it at the moment, no answer at all about policy differences between her and Corbyn, weaseling out of an answer re: the NEC and Corbyn possibly not being allowed to stand and walking away from condemning Blair.

What is this?

Is this genuinely and honestly the standard bearer of the PLP who's supposed to be better and take the membership with them? This is it? Their best game and chance who they got to stand?

I'm not lost for words (obviously), but I am both baffled and completely surprised that the PLP answer is this bad. It's nothing wrapped in empty soundbites. No wonder Corbyn is willing to stand the test with another election if she's their best shot.

:psyduck:

Its media friendly bollocks. Sound byte politics thats easily replayed in the 3 seconds it will get on the 6 o'clock news. It's utterly without substance but works well in todays media world. One of the primary complaints about Corbyn is that his message is too long winded for the news to digest and as such it never gets on the air. That and all the papers hate him.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
When will this global conspiracy to mess with polling data end!!!!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

baka kaba posted:

Yeah nobody ever lies on surveys by choosing what they'd like to see as the winning result, their pennies would be at risk

Please remember this the next time theres a poll with a result you like and not one you don't.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

lfield posted:

After the last GE and the Brexit vote I'm surprised anyone who pushes a poll as an accurate predictor of things isn't just laughed down.

Why? The majority of the brexit polls were reporting results within the margin of error outside of a handful that spiked either way which were reported madly by media on both sides.

And the GE polling got it wrong, for probably the first time since they started doing it. Pointing at that and going 'lol all polls are worthless' is stupid.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Yinlock posted:

I'm sorry the integrity of journalistic cornerstone Sky News is being called into question.

We're talking about Yougov polls here lad keep up.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I think we're talking about the likelyhood of people to pretend to be things they're not just to fill in more surveys for a couple of pennies. Which is very low, but if one does believe that, they should remember they thing all polls are worthless the next time it says something they like.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Testro posted:

It's more than slightly irritating that I paid for a year upfront, and threw some extra cash on top...but because I did it recently, I can't vote unless I pay more.

Party of the common man.

If you paid by credit card you can get it back.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Goodbye George.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Osbourne didn't resign, he was sacked. This is lovely.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Watching PMQ's back from today and it was genuinely entertaining and for once Corbyn rolled out some comedy.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
So they are basically just fixing democracy there right. They don't like the result so they're ignoring it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Seaside Loafer posted:

What do you think of this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-36794888

Pretty repulsive person and all but 3 years in prison for tweeting? Couldn't they have blocked her or changed their id's or something?

There must be more going on there like she hassled them in person or something surely.

The woman must be a nutter but seems a little excessive. Or maybe she is actually mentally ill and needs help. I dunno.

Stalking is a crime and just because it was done online doesn't make it any less traumatic.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Seaside Loafer posted:

I guess but you can just kind of turn it off right?

Just as much as you could just not leave the house because you're followed by someone every time you do? An online presence is normal these days and to say that you can just cut off a gigantic social aspect of the modern world is silly. The woman deserves a custodial sentence, whether prison or a secure mental facility is up to the judge I guess.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jose posted:

why is everyone voting for caroline shawcroft

Idiocy I think.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Desiderata posted:

Lucy Powell was supposed to be doing a meet the members "listening" event this morning, she bottled out of it ofcourse. No doubt over "safety" fears, whether real or imagined. But it is true there is a lot of cold fury out there right now and I've talked to quite a few people who were in favour of replacing Corbyn, changing their minds entirely off the back of these undemocratic shenanigans.

There is something funny in the way that every move the PLP take to clamp down on this dissent, causes it to root deeper. Can't wait to see the NEC results.

They'll declare them void if its a momentum sweep.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I'm glad Erdogan is using the coup to bring back the death penalty and cull anyone he doesn't like because of it.

I don't think Turkey will be joining the EU anytime soon.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Scikar posted:

I know this will shock you all, but Jess Philips has threatened to resign if Corbyn wins: http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/jess-phillips-says-could-resign-11639471

I think it's a shame because from the sounds of it she does good constituency work and it hardly helps Labour's overall image to have prominent female politicians leaving. But she seems to have had it in for Corbyn from day one, and it's quite telling that she says she would have preferred the policy-less Angela Eagle ahead of Owen Smith. I suspect Stella Creasy might not be far behind as she seems to be in a similar position.

Shes made a pyre and chosen to lie on it herself. Shes was either promised a very important position should corbyn be ousted or she's just thick as pig poo poo to go to the depths she has to stab him.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

TinTower posted:

So Caroline Lucas failed once again, 81-74, to bring in a proportional representation bill. The SNP, as always, were more than happy to be the metaphorical turkeys voting for Christmas.

The turnout on the division was exceptionally poor given that it was in between PMQs and an Opposition Day debate.

Of course the SNP don't want proportional representation. It would weaken them.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jose posted:

Corbyn is a genuinely bad leader and yet the rest of them are so incompetent its strengthening his postition. labour is hosed for at least the next 5 years

I've decided to not vote in the leadership election.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

forkboy84 posted:

Errrrrr, I think you want to read that again. The Turkey's Voting For Christmas thing means they voted for it despite it being against their interests.

I've made a faux pas here and I'm happy to admit it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pochoclo posted:

Now I live in the UK, I'll have you know I'm as british as bangers and mash and shepherd's pie and bramley apple pie and pub food and fish and chips.

I havent had sausage and mash for ages so im going to have it for tea tomorrow thankyou for this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Coohoolin posted:

Kapparomeo lives in Switzerland, the only black people he'll ever meet are the ones he buys his coke from.

You'll regret this when you've sobered up.

• Locked thread