Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Echo Chamber posted:

Show's cancelled. :(

Dang, there was a lot I liked about it. I will miss you, awesome kung fu scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'm not surprised. I enjoyed S1 enough, but promptly forgot S2 after I was done with it. And my sister who loved S1 didn't mention S2 after release. I can easily see it being way more expensive than it was worth.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 13, 2016

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Well, gently caress. Not surprised either, but I had hoped Netflix would squeeze one more season out before canning it. Liked this show a lot.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I think I would've enjoyed S2 more if more of it was like the first episode: Marco and Mei Lin, non-Mongol special agents for the Mongols.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 13, 2016

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I binged the first season but rapidly lost interest during the second and never finished it. How well does the last episode of s2 now stand up as the overall end?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Pablo Bluth posted:

I binged the first season but rapidly lost interest during the second and never finished it. How well does the last episode of s2 now stand up as the overall end?

Very badly, they were expecting a S3. No real conclusion.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Dec 13, 2016

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Is there any talk of like a finishing movie or something? Probably a lot of investments in sets and crap that is a sunk cost at this point that might make it worthwhile.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Is this the first time Netflix has cancelled a Netflix Original show that was clearly intended to continue?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

counterfeitsaint posted:

Is this the first time Netflix has cancelled a Netflix Original show that was clearly intended to continue?

Unless we count Arrested Development I think so.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Sad it ends on cliffhanger even if I know the history of the Mongols and what happens.

I found season 2 be a let down so I'm not that surprised it got cancelled.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I liked season 1 more and I thought Kublai was too sidelined in season 2, but I liked the fake Blue Princess going insane storyline and loved the ahistorical silliness of Mongols fighting Christian Crusaders.

I was really curious how they'd handle Prester John, so yeah... its probable cancellation now is nonetheless a disappointment.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
drat, this show getting cancelled is such a bummer. There really isn't anything else like this show on right now, and even when they had elements that might sound cheesy on paper, they somehow made em work most of the time. This show just made for such an enjoyable and addictive blend of intrigue, big battle & kung fu action, great characters I was totally invested in, and a unique historical setting. Too bad it had to go, I think it just suffered bad timing and luck with it's release and initial promotional campaign, and a lot of people just wrote it off as a low quality Game of Thrones type wannabe without ever giving it a chance.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

200m loss, wow.

Was looking forward to the part of Marco Polo's life where he ineffectively mounted a trebechet on a boat and was sidelined into historical insignificance.

Oh wait...

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

savinhill posted:

drat, this show getting cancelled is such a bummer. There really isn't anything else like this show on right now, and even when they had elements that might sound cheesy on paper, they somehow made em work most of the time. This show just made for such an enjoyable and addictive blend of intrigue, big battle & kung fu action, great characters I was totally invested in, and a unique historical setting. Too bad it had to go, I think it just suffered bad timing and luck with it's release and initial promotional campaign, and a lot of people just wrote it off as a low quality Game of Thrones type wannabe without ever giving it a chance.

Black Sails? :argh:

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

It's telling that almost nobody is surprised. I'm not. But I'll miss this show...it had some great elements amidst the kind of lovely ones.

Hot take: this show looks better - in terms of cinematography, set, costume, etc. - than anything else in its category, including Game of Thrones. This was a really beautiful show.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Maybe I can buy Ahmad's cool clothes at a thrift shop.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Xealot posted:

It's telling that almost nobody is surprised. I'm not. But I'll miss this show...it had some great elements amidst the kind of lovely ones.

Hot take: this show looks better - in terms of cinematography, set, costume, etc. - than anything else in its category, including Game of Thrones. This was a really beautiful show.

If there's anything I'll miss about this show it's the opening. The mixing of audio and visual really brought forward that this was a show ultimately dealing with the decline of something great.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

MiddleOne posted:

If there's anything I'll miss about this show it's the opening. The mixing of audio and visual really brought forward that this was a show ultimately dealing with the decline of something great.

Art of the Title ran an interview with the creative team that made the credits, and it's super fascinating. They discuss some of the initial ideas that led them to the final product, and I'm glad it went where it did: http://www.artofthetitle.com/title/marco-polo/

It sucks we'll never see this show address the Mongol invasion of Japan. I'd love to see what they did with it.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I was surprised how similar Netflix's "The Crown" opening titles looked compared to Marco Polo.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Echo Chamber posted:

I was surprised how similar Netflix's "The Crown" opening titles looked compared to Marco Polo.

All of their openings are clearly made by the same creative team/company. Even the marvel shows openings are very similiar to everything else. They're all pretty good but in my opinion Jessica Jones and Marco Polo stand out. Honorable mention to How To Make a Murderer.

Hazborgufen
Apr 11, 2005

Echo Chamber posted:

I just looked it up and you're totally right. The first half of the credits that the same visual style.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm struggling to remember how s2 even ended now. It was definitely a step down from s1. I wonder how Netflix calculates a 200m dollar loss though

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'm struggling to remember how s2 even ended now. It was definitely a step down from s1. I wonder how Netflix calculates a 200m dollar loss though
The budget for the first season was $90m according to this 2014 article so $200m total cost is believable. But it's got to be journalist hyperbole (everything is 100% successful or 100% a failure) to label cost = loss.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 13, 2016

Hazborgufen
Apr 11, 2005
Good point. How does Netflix determine how successful one of their original shows is? No doubt they track how many views it had, but that can't be all. Can they measure how many new subscriptions a show generated or how about how many many subscriptions weren't cancelled?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Hazborgufen posted:

Good point. How does Netflix determine how successful one of their original shows is? No doubt they track how many views it had, but that can't be all. Can they measure how many new subscriptions a show generated or how about how many many subscriptions weren't cancelled?

That's what I was getting at. I know it was supposed to be the most expensive show ever/more expensive than GoT, but how does Netflix measure success? I've heard from Nielsen folks that Netflix has super amazing analytics but they keep it all internal and don't tell anyone about anything.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Given they keep a record of what every subscriber has ever watched, there's presumably no end of metrics they look at. A key one is probably to look at what shows trialists and new subscribers are watching. Likewise for low or sporadic-activity subscribers (ie. people at increased risk of cancelling). How quickly people binge a series. The percentage of people that start to watch a series but give up. The percentage of accounts that rewatch a series. Viewing figures broken down by demographics to see if it's valuable for a certain group even it doesn't have broad appeal. Stats on what people search for. Stats on what people are adding to their list. Stats on what people are removing from their list. What people watched just before they cancelled.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 14, 2016

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Xealot posted:

It sucks we'll never see this show address the Mongol invasion of Japan. I'd love to see what they did with it.

Oh that would be a perfect story for a concluding movie. drat.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I don't think there would be time for that in a movie, they tied their hands with Prester John disappearing all the main characters.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Heh, you make the years go by fast with exposition in this sort of scenario. The idea is to go out with a bang, not perfectly wrap everything up.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
never understood how the last kingdom being such a garbage mess of a show in comparison to marco polo yet got better reviews

gonna chalk it up to affinity bias for the subject matter

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

What? The Last Kingdom has a better lead, a more interesting story and it's execution is actually not a terrible slog for 90% of the season. I mean Marco Polo takes itself more seriously but that's not really something I'd say is in its favor where I to contrast the two.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The rest of the cast makes up for soggy Marco. Also, Tom Wu, so cram it.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
The Last Kingdom also looks like it's about a million times cheaper to make, since its landscapes can be found basically anywhere with a temperate climate and they use all of one town square for a built up set

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

That's called being smart with your money. If Marco Polo had been imitating Spartacus more and Game of Thrones less I think we would have gotten a vastly better show. As it stands, Marco Polo is worse than The Last Kingdom, Outlander and Black Sails despite having a production budget that eclipses each of them individually. Just like Game of Thrones it wasted too much time and money due to its massive budget on things that aren't important to making good television. Marco Polo has neat visuals and stunning set-dressing but the pacing, plot, character motivations and writing are all over the place and both season 1 and 2 dragged because of this. Benedict Wong's performance is the only thing they really got right and it's wasted because for some reason Marco Polo himself has to be the focal point of everything.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

I'd be perfectly happy with a 100 eyes spinoff show

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

I'd be perfectly happy with a 100 eyes spinoff show

Ew, no. I'd want a spin off about Prostitute-Ninja-Assassin and her struggles as a single mom trying to put it all together. Can she balance getting her kid into a good school and assassinating historical figures? Find out in the next exciting episode of Xie Can Do It!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Just a show about the guy who cleans that room the evil plan painting was in.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Digital Jedi posted:

Sad it ends on cliffhanger even if I know the history of the Mongols and what happens.

prester john didn't exist and he was gonna be the main antagonist of s3.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Groovelord Neato posted:

prester john didn't exist and he was gonna be the main antagonist of s3.
Actually, he did exist, but Kublai Khan erased him from history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Just a show about the guy who cleans that room the evil plan painting was in.

• Locked thread