Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Hello,

I've been working on an PbtA hack in the vein of Delta Green and other investigative horror games, and I'd like to run a test of it.

I'll be running a Delta Green scenario called "The Last Equation"

The hack itself pulls from a number of resources including, but not limited to Apocalypse World, Dungeon World, World of Spies, Tremulus and Monster of the Week. As time goes on, it is my hope to refine it into something truly enjoyable that captures a balance of narrative action, investigation and horror!

Here is a link to the document for FOXTROT ORANGE.

I'm looking for a group of 3-6 players to give it a test.

-----

Character Creation
You'll be creating an agent of FOXTROT ORANGE, as such, you're given certain clearances to work with the local and federal authorities. You could be a field agent trained to be a part of FOXTROT ORANGE, you could be FBI, CIA, A renowned professor or even an ex-con, the choice is yours and that is the flavor you'll bring to the archetype you choose.

To create a character, you'll assign your stats to the 5 abilities listed in the document.
You'll choose an archetype.
You'll choose your extra skills.
You'll take or pick your gear.
Lastly, you'll assign bonds with the other agents you'll be working with.

I typed up the document thus far as if players would have some knowledge of PbtA games, but if anything is unclear or you have questions about how something in particular works, please don't hesitate to ask.

---

The Last Equation

Brussels-born mathematician, sage and astronomer Fascius Claudan (1535-1561) was responsible for many minor breakthroughs in science and technology during his short but broadly travelled life. Between journeys to Egypt, Persia, central Asia and more extreme locales, Claudan published six books on astronomy and mathematics and one last book on cosmology, a book which is considered dangerous by some who know of such things: the Libri Plures Admiratio (“Book of Many Wonders”).

For the most part he is remembered as a minor inventor or various knots, pulley systems, cog-works and early machines for pumping water, but despite his vanishing almost entirely from known science one legacy of Claudan remains: the Laqueus. This short code, believed to be an equation, was rendered just days before his death. It is regarded in the small circles that know of it as either an epiphany or complete gibberish. To date, no one has publicly claimed to understand it, much less to have solved it.

Mathematicians and cryptographers throughout the ages have spent spare hours plugging away to solve the glyphs, with little or no success. It holds a place in the annals of cryptography as one of the few cryptograms to resist modern attempts at cracking. It is used as an example in many cryptography tomes as a “clean” cypher — one that remains untranslatable.

Until now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Posting interest. I'll go through and make a dude to post up tonight.

I know pbta really well, but have never played Delta Green, is that going to be an issue?

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Error 404 posted:

Posting interest. I'll go through and make a dude to post up tonight.

I know pbta really well, but have never played Delta Green, is that going to be an issue?

Nope, but if you have any questions along the way, just let me know.

Delta Green in a nutshell started off as additional source material for the Call of Cthulhu RPG before becoming its own game that focused more on paramilitary, X-Files, Alphabet Soup type operations and missions dealing with Lovecraftian, Unnatural and Sci-Fi horrors.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

Nope, but if you have any questions along the way, just let me know.

Delta Green in a nutshell started off as additional source material for the Call of Cthulhu RPG before becoming its own game that focused more on paramilitary, X-Files, Alphabet Soup type operations and missions dealing with Lovecraftian, Unnatural and Sci-Fi horrors.

Ok, so it's like BPRD, but without Hellboy

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Error 404 posted:

Ok, so it's like BPRD, but without Hellboy

Yeah, you could say that :)

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Gonna app that most popular of heroic archetypes, the special collections librarian.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Simon Wallace: (Paramilitary) former USMC
A little mood music.

Look, I wanted Delta, HRT, something like that.
I wanted to do what I do best. Bust heads for the good-guys. I hadn't even heard of Agency, which I now know is the point. poo poo, the only rumor I ever caught about y'all referred to you as Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. Y'know, there's FBI, NSA, CIA, and then there's WTF handling all the weird poo poo that makes ya go 'What the gently caress!?' hahaha.

The Ink hadn't even dried on my discharge papers from the Corps when I got two dudes in black suits asking if I would "please come this way". I'll be totally honest with you, I thought that Men-in-Black crap only happened in movies. But whatever, y'know. So here I am now, waiting for my first assignment as a new agent after the weirdest training rotation I think anyone's ever dreamed of.

Whatever. Let's Scooby-fuckin-Doo, people.

QUESTIONS:
Gear
Do I get all of the stuff listed under my archetype? or do I have to pick some? The way I read it is: I get the machine gun. Then I get either the armor or the pistol. Then I get grenades and a machete. Am I reading this right?
If possible I'd give up the grenades in favor of having body armor instead.

Skills
I'm also not clear on what Military Science is supposed to be, would it be ok to swap that for something else?

quote:

Name: Simon Wallace, Paramilitary
Armor: 0
Harm: 0/6
Sanity: 6/6

Action +2
Analysis +1
Influence -1
Professional +0
Sanity +1

GEAR
  • Assault Rifle (Machine Gun) medium, 3 harm, twohanded, area
  • Concealed Sidearm (Small pistol) short, 1 harm
  • Machete close, 3 harm, messy
  • Grenades medium, 4 harm, area, loud, messy, dangerous

MOVES
Never Leave a Comrade
Regardless of bonds, you can add +1 on all rolls to provide a Welcome/Unwelcome Distraction.

Shellshock
You’re not used to things getting up after you’ve emptied a magazine into them. You always take -1 on the first Face the Unnatural and Suppress the Unreal rolls you make in a scene.

SKILLS
Military Science
Demolitions
Heavy Weapons
First Aid

BONDS
2 bonds TBD

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
For gear, the OR separates your kit. You can choose all the items before the OR or afterwards. Equipment and gear I still am working on because I'd like more customization there but for now you choose between load outs.

Military Science is tactics, procedures, history and traditions. You can't operate bizarre military hardware per se, but it might allow you to identify it, provide info about it, etc.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

For gear, the OR separates your kit. You can choose all the items before the OR or afterwards. Equipment and gear I still am working on because I'd like more customization there but for now you choose between load outs.

Military Science is tactics, procedures, history and traditions. You can't operate bizarre military hardware per se, but it might allow you to identify it, provide info about it, etc.

So for example if you rolled technical ability to get your agents into a tactical formation, or were analyzing a military AO for information on what exactly went down, you could use military science.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

If I could make a suggestion.
Maybe go with AW's way:
Pick 1 big thing
Pick 2 small things
Pick 1 random thing

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Error 404 posted:

If I could make a suggestion.
Maybe go with AW's way:
Pick 1 big thing
Pick 2 small things
Pick 1 random thing

I think that's a good idea, I'll work the equipment lists today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

I think that's a good idea, I'll work the equipment lists today.

Cool.
I have other suggestions but its a lot so I'll pm when I have time to write them up.

• Locked thread