Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

CapnAndy posted:

Eh, the quality stays pretty constant until they overthrow the Adversary, which is where the comic should have ended. Afterwards everyone flails around meaninglessly until the series gets mercy-killed way too much later. Although right before the end, there's an arc of only like 3 or 4 issues called the Fisher Price King and it's really good (that title alone, goddamn).

I don't think you can ignore how awful the WW2 story was. It was a bunch of war movie cliches sloppily held together with ugly, rushed art. That was definitely the series' low point before Bigby's history lesson, and I almost quit the book at the end of the WW2 arc. Thankfully, issue 50 provided the perfect jumping off point with Snow White and Bigby getting married.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Madkal posted:

Know what I love. Villains fighting other villains. It seems like such an easy thing to do, what with so many egos and planet taking over schemes and who hates who the most, I wonder why it isn't done more often. What are some of the best story-arcs with villains fighting other villains?

Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

Know what I love. Villains fighting other villains. It seems like such an easy thing to do, what with so many egos and planet taking over schemes and who hates who the most, I wonder why it isn't done more often. What are some of the best story-arcs with villains fighting other villains?
Superior Foes
Salvation Run -> Secret Six
Uh, Suicide Squad?
Paul Cornell's Action Comics run
Geoff Johns' Rogue War is a thing I haven't read but it seems to fit

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Madkal posted:

Superior Foes of Spider-Man

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Dr. Hurt posted:

Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

Deadly Foes of Spider-man, if you can find it, is the precursor to Superior Foes. It's also wonderful. Parts of it definitely influenced Busiek and Anderson when they did the Steeljack story in Astro City.

Also, read the Steeljack story from Astro City.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Madkal posted:

MODOKs 11 and Secret Six are both fantastic.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Modok assassin was fun

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The original is Super Villian Team Up. It ran for about 15 issues and got collected in an Essential format. It has an amazing Dr.Doom takes over the world story and challenges Magneto to take it back from him. And a story where Dr.Doom fights the Red Skull on the moon.

Also try and find the 4 issue Super Villian Team up series from a few years ago. That one was aces.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

The Question IRL posted:

Also try and find the 4 issue Super Villian Team up series from a few years ago. That one was aces.
Is that the one where they're walking down the street with some kind of altered appearance technology and uh, it was very entertaining?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

redbackground posted:

Is that the one where they're walking down the street with some kind of altered appearance technology and uh, it was very entertaining?

It's the Sinister Six walking down the street and Mysterio makes them look like punk rockers and then changes them to look like Japanese school girls. I posted scans of it a while back. I'll find it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
You know, I wish Celestials were still a big deal. They used to be awe inspiring, but now dead Celestials are dime a dozen whenever writers want to show how bad things are.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Action Man posted:

I know it's petty, but I love that Once Upon a Time means that there will never be a Fables adaptation for Willingham to get rich from.

I like OUAT. It's silly fun.

I also enjoyed Lost Girl.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

The Action Man posted:

Deadly Foes of Spider-man, if you can find it, is the precursor to Superior Foes. It's also wonderful. Parts of it definitely influenced Busiek and Anderson when they did the Steeljack story in Astro City.

Also, read the Steeljack story from Astro City.

They did another Steeljack story in this most recent run. Basically, just read Astro City

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Goddamn it, Hastings is going out of business and that's where I got all my geek poo poo. :smith:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Yeah, they own Moviestop too, and the one near me is closing. I just brought them a bunch of used DVDs back in May, which they paid cash for. I'll miss them just like I miss video stores and used CD stores.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

WickedHate posted:

You know, I wish Celestials were still a big deal. They used to be awe inspiring, but now dead Celestials are dime a dozen whenever writers want to show how bad things are.
I think most writers don't really use them right and it's a little annoying but thankfully nothing that ever happens with them matters; it's not like there's Celestials canon police that are going to show up and prevent someone later on from using them correctly. I really like Hickman and Kieron Gillen but they should both probably never write about the Celestials ever again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Only Warren Ellis uses the Celestials properly.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Apparently Entertainment Weekly thinks Wonder Woman is the first female superhero. No love for Fantomah? :sigh:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I couldn't find any sort of general video game thread for this, so I guess I'll post it here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85jILWA2Hv8

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

I really wish they would put a place holder animation for the armor stuff, just a flash or something. whenever it activates, it just looks like the game finally remembered to render something

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I like the organic stuff though. It's like a mix between a xenomorph and a T-1000. Very neat.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Good thing they improved the color pallet, otherwise they would have added Black Beetle.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

PenguinKnight posted:

I really wish they would put a place holder animation for the armor stuff, just a flash or something. whenever it activates, it just looks like the game finally remembered to render something

I thought they were just switching through them to show them off with no cuts.

Also why is Jaime built like a brick shithouse

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

hup posted:

I thought they were just switching through them to show them off with no cuts.

they are, but whenever the equipment changes it looks like the game bugs out

it could really be edited better to show off the changes

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I actually went to a local comic book store and bought comics today, for the first time ever (I read my comics digitally or buy them in trades from big name bookstores.)

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

I actually went to a local comic book store and bought comics today, for the first time ever (I read my comics digitally or buy them in trades from big name bookstores.)

Oh poo poo your going deep. Next you'll here a pull list.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It was weird. I was expecting a comic book store to be like, chock-full of comics (the last comic book store I've been to was The Meltdown in LA which is like just stuffed from floor to ceiling with comics everywhere) and this had, like, one cabinet of trades and one rack, and then everything else was just expensive variant covers. It was surprisingly sparse, and probably had more total floorspace spent on arcade and pinball machines.

Also holy poo poo twenty loving bucks for Alias 1 with the Jessica Jones variant? Seriously?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

NorgLyle posted:

I think most writers don't really use them right and it's a little annoying but thankfully nothing that ever happens with them matters; it's not like there's Celestials canon police that are going to show up and prevent someone later on from using them correctly. I really like Hickman and Kieron Gillen but they should both probably never write about the Celestials ever again.

I haven't met a story with Celestials I didn't like.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Toxxupation posted:

Also holy poo poo twenty loving bucks for Alias 1 with the Jessica Jones variant? Seriously?
Yeah, variant covers are for whales.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Toxxupation posted:

What Alias #1 are you talking about? As far as I know the 2001 series had no variant cover.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Rhyno posted:

What Alias #1 are you talking about? As far as I know the 2001 series had no variant cover.

The variant they did for the Jessica Jones TV show tie-in. It's basically a stylized Krysten Ritter and has the big JESSICA JONES logo on it. I just found it fuckin' crazy that the cost of that variant would be so high already off what's essentially a variant reprint that was a TV show tie-in anyways, that's barely a year and a half old. Can't be that rare.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Toxxupation posted:

The variant they did for the Jessica Jones TV show tie-in. It's basically a stylized Krysten Ritter and has the big JESSICA JONES logo on it. I just found it fuckin' crazy that the cost of that variant would be so high already off what's essentially a variant reprint that was a TV show tie-in anyways, that's barely a year and a half old. Can't be that rare.

This?

They were given out at a con (NYCC i think) and otherwise one per store. $20 is about what I've seen them sell for. Wasn't this like 8 new pages or something? It wasn't a full reprint of Alias #1 as it was very thin.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah that's the one. Fair enough if they were actually rare, then.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Toxxupation posted:

I looked it up, it was a 12 page original prequel to the tv series, not a reprint of any previous stuff. It's not super duper rare but $15-20 seems to be the going rate.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I'm not sure what happened to the gaming thread - maybe we didn't need one - but Mavel Ultimate Alliance 1 & 2 are being re-released on PC, Xbone, and PS4.

I love both MUA games (MUA 2 is really, really good no matter what people tell you) and it'll be awesome to play them again on PC, and to have the hope of mod support. If you've never played them, I highly recommend doing so with multiplayer. Couch co-op is preferred, but if you can only do online that's still fun. I did the first game via couch and the second one online.

MUA has a special place in my heart because I never would've even had a modern console without it. Activision ran a contest where you could sign up for their forums and win prizes, but you had to get the word out to win. I won an Xbox 360 from them at a time when I definitely could never have afforded it on my own and it was just really cool.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm pretty sure I hated Ultimate Alliance, but I still played it all the way through. X-Men Legends 2 was way better, but then, I was always a bigger fan of X-Men than the wider Marvel universe.

Now Rise of the Imperfects, that was a shitshow.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I would've hoped they might've slipped in a few newer skins, like a Captain Marvel or Miles Spider-Man if they were doing this, but otherwise that's pretty neat.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

For what it's Worth stores get variant covers for the number of issues they order. (Thus why pull lists are important for them). This is what gives them their high value as well.

Comic shops vary allot in purpose and you'll find the meltdown style long box stacks and shelving to the ceiling in some places. Others make more off merchandising and just straight pull lists and won't carry many extras or back issues or trades(though will order for you).

Cerepol fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 24, 2016

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Little Mac posted:

I love both MUA games (MUA 2 is really, really good no matter what people tell you)

If they bugfixed it I'm down, but holy poo poo that thing had so many errors and fuckups on my PS3. I could never unlock a bunch of stuff since the saves weren't tracking my answers properly on the choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I hate to be that guy, but I'd be more excited if it wasn't an Activision port, and they weren't $60.

• Locked thread