Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What year did "Word Up" come out? That decade was when music was at its best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can just say cartoon. The western is implied, since we're normal.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's just the Bachalo Magik but with pants.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

JoshTheStampede posted:

Huh. I really like Ramos, now and earlier, and I also really like latter-day Bachalo which is similar. It's obviously very anime-inspired and I don't really like anime very much (despite my username), but something about that graffiti-style art they do I really like. It's way better than the photorealistic stuff like Deodato/Land/Whoever, to me - at least when people are drawn making surprised faces in a cartoony way it doesn't look like a Tom Goes To The Mayor sketch.

Bachalo probably shouldn't draw a comic with 3 long haired blondes in black costumes though.

You frequently can't tell who is supposed to be Magik, Emma or the blonde cuckoo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I went to Supercon in Miami Beach today and met one of my lifelong favorite writers, Keith Giffen, who signed dozens of comics, TPBs, and custom bound hardcover books I schlepped in a big suitcase. I also met Fabian Nicieza and Greg Capullo, and all three were very friendly, chatty, and gracious.

Then my buddy and I also met William Shatner, who just nodded politely when we told him it was an honor to meet him. We were in his presence for about ten seconds for a photo op, but my friend was absolutely giddy over it (my birthday present to him).

Other than that, the dealer hall was a huge disappointment, with very few comic book dealers. Most people were selling anime tchotchkes, retro video games, T-shirts, and Etsy/DeviantArt-style arts and crafts. I spent $.50 on two Convergence tie-in issues, and couldn't find anything else I wanted or "needed."

Much like comic book stores, selling just comics at a convention is a death sentence.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cartoonist means writer and artist.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's gotta be bannable, right?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

You really shouldn't feel the need to announce that you don't like things.

:psyduck:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Robocop's just a ripoff of Judge Dredd.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think comic shops place their orders by the month or something? Rhyno or one of the other comic shop workers will correct me.

So I guess just make sure you're that far ahead of the release so they can secure one for you.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The part I most want to be fake there is "Banking/IT". Please don't be real companies that combine those two.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No that's the Apple ones, your friend is a geek.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's not how message boards work.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In the grand scheme of things, the 1940s is very recent.

(Batman uses guns all the time. Just not the ones that shoot bullets. Except occasionally on his vehicles, but a vehicle mounted gun is officially a cannon, which is fine unless Joe Chill is later revealed to be a pirate.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can say that before shooting someone too, doesn't make them less dead.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Like by any interpretation, Batman murdered the hell out of Ra's. He's just justifying it to himself, because he needs to.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's just a monorail until Gordon destroys the tracks, after Batman showed him how.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

When they're about 8, what you want to do is buy the whole family a night out at the movies.

Then you get yourself a mask, and wait in an alley nearby.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rachel Cole's last appearance was late 2014.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The best posters can also be assholes.

In fact it's more often than not.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

How can you have a Wonder Woman costume that is showing too much skin? It barely covers everything as is.

You hike the skirt up.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

So I'm not claiming that this is what is actually going on, but some RUMORS cropped up in another place on the internet.

Basically orders on all DC books, including Wonder Woman are much higher than expected, even more so when you factor in advance reorders. Cho signed a deal based on initial expectations and now that the books are blowing the gently caress up in sales he wants more money and isn't getting it.

Someone who may or may not work at the DC offices may or may not have posted this.

Because those extra sales are thanks to his variant covers, I'm sure.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Wouldn't be the first time RJ posted something from SA as a fact.

BREAKING: New Green Arrow/Robocop crossover in the works!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Before we get started, I want to set out the terms here.

If you've ever argued in favor of Squirrel Girl art, you must sit this one out.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Squirrel Girl art looks terrible out of context but flows better when you're reading an issue.

It's skillfully done ugly art.

That's why whether you call it good or bad, you're right. If you call the artist bad though that's a different thing entirely.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

JoshTheStampede posted:

Squirrel Girl's art is light and cartoony and fun, in perfect sync to that book's tone. If it was all shadowy Deodato or whatever it would be a terrible match. If you just don't like cartoony art that's fine but it's not "bad" art by any real measure.

People say bad to mean ugly.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

JoshTheStampede posted:

And they often say "ugly" to mean "of a style I don't like".

Well yeah, that's what ugly means.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

site posted:

Do they shrink when depowered or what kinda powers do boobs get in the dcu. Like if you run into them do you bounce back really hard or something

For some reason the conversation really stalled out when it got to the physics of breasts.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's his daughter.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's way easier to say crazy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Crowley's the one played by Mark Sheppard.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

His wife and their mutual lover also took off with his kids.

Open relationships never work.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I mean they didn't disappear or anything, but he and his first wife shared a relationship with another woman and the wife left him for her, taking the kids.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Travis343 posted:

William Moulton Marston would like to have a word.

His cancer was caused by cooties.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And, you know, the part where she's deciding to go kill everyone.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Marvel character is America Chavez. They're banking on Marvel not caring enough I guess.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

JoshTheStampede posted:

They're also banking on their interpretation/creation of the character being what people love, rather than later writers and artists work on that character. If you asked a bunch of people who created America Chavez I bet a lot of them would say Gillen/McKelvie.

Including her being gay, I think?

So don't expect that in the Image book, Barry.

(Well, and as much as someone who comes from a universe with only women can really be gay.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'd love for Image to do a whole line letting creators do their thinly veiled rejected big-two pitches.

They did that in the 90s. They called the line Image.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Actually Lost Girls owns.

I haven't read it, but I'll stand up for beardo against y'all prudes :)

One of the storylines is about Dorothy Gale being repeatedly raped by her father.

The other two are also about rape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WickedHate posted:

I love Say Anything, but hate Max Bemis' Worst X-Man Ever. It's a good thing I don't give a gently caress about My Chemical Romance or I'd be nervous about Gerard Way's upcoming DC stuff. (well, okay, his wife is the bassist for like, my favorite band ever, but that's removed enough that it won't spoil anything for me)

Edit: While going through a tumblr that posts comic stuff, I just saw a Crossed cover with Max Bemis listed on the cover. Now that is a disappointment.

Oh my god you're talking about a band and not the movie.

• Locked thread