Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

kikkelivelho posted:

The discussion ITT has been far better than what I usually see on the net. A couple of posters have even provided evidence when defending GMOs. I don't think it's fair to judge them or imply you want them dead just because they support practices that could in some cases be considered dangerous and immoral.

lmbo is this real life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Labeling GMO food will make people think it's bad when it is demonstrably safe. It's a stupid idea that gets pushed by the anti GMO crowd because they know it will hurt sales on products that get the label

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Also kikkelivelho is either a huge retard or can't read English good because he keeps responding to posts like "here's a mountain of research about the safety of genetically modified food" with stuff like "interesting, also sometimes GMO food is dangerous"

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Aralan posted:

Labeling GMO food will make people think it's bad when it is demonstrably safe. It's a stupid idea that gets pushed by the anti GMO crowd because they know it will hurt sales on products that get the label

Products have all kinds of labels that even state the amount of calories and proteins they contain even when those thing are completely safe. What kind of an argument is this? We also label the country of origin even when that doesn't really affect the safety of the product.

And how do the corporations that create these products not known if genetic modification are involved? They are literally the ones making them.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

kikkelivelho posted:

And how do the corporations that create these products not known if genetic modification are involved? They are literally the ones making them.

Because almost everything you eat has been genetically modified in some way

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

kikkelivelho posted:

Products have all kinds of labels that even state the amount of calories and proteins they contain even when those thing are completely safe. What kind of an argument is this? We also label the country of origin even when that doesn't really affect the safety of the product.

yeah but we don't give the full genetic sequences on these dietary labels or the full protein composition

i know its hard for you but can you imagine that in capitalism, sometimes its not just the consumers who buy stuff, its also producers of things, who use the things they buy to make other things. and this principle forms huge complex trade networks

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

kikkelivelho posted:

Nutrition labels are ubiquitous and contain useful information with regards to, get this, the nutrition content of the food you're purchasing. A label like "Contains genetically modified soybean" tells you nothing important but prejudices uniformed idiots against the product bearing the label. You may as well argue that organic foods should be labeled with "grown in cow poo poo" it's just as true and useful

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Applewhite posted:

We don't need to ween ourselves off agriculture, we just need to do it smarter. There's a lot of cool plans for multi-level farms that grow ten times as much as a normal farm for the same footprint.

this will never happen because farmers grow plants in loving dirt and the finances necessary to build something like that are likely beyond the scope of what some dude in Iowa is capable of building

that means someone has to bite the bullet and why pay millions for a low blueprint experimental greenhouse when there's hundreds of acres of farmland in some dudes farm and he's willing to work almost for free

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!
I'd be in favour of GMO labelling if they pulled a huge troll job and labelled their products as "sustainably farmed" or "sustainably grown".

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i don't buy that GMOs are completely safe just because science said so. monsanto has a fuckton of money to bribe scientists to skew research in their favor. also bill nye was against GMO food before he was for it, probably due to bribe money

on the other hand, everything causes cancer these days, so what's one more lovely thing to put into your body?

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Y-Hat posted:

i don't buy that GMOs are completely safe just because science said so. monsanto has a fuckton of money to bribe scientists to skew research in their favor. also bill nye was against GMO food before he was for it, probably due to bribe money

on the other hand, everything causes cancer these days, so what's one more lovely thing to put into your body?

didn't your parents teach you to think before you say

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Im gonna slice up this square watermelon that fits nicely in my fridge, cook this meat that has been "aged" for God knows how long so it tastes and feels as I expect it to and enjoy these non-poisonous fried potato slices along with a medley of (locally) out of season vegetables that were delivered to my market still fresh just yesterday. Then I'm going to wash it all down with a glass of concentrated corn syrup.

Living in the space-future is the loving tits.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Y-Hat posted:

too bad for you that scientists who aren't on monsantos payroll also say gmos are completely safe

also whole foods of all places now has more money than monsanto and also has been caught selling way more types of unsafe food, so if you want to go "grrrr big corporations :argh:" you should consider them even worse

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

also if we're at the point where "tons on independent scientists agree on [thing], but I believe they all got bribed by [bad guys] without any evidence :freep:" is not considered a stupid opinion for idiots, we're hosed as a society. enjoy your slow backslide into being medieval farmers i guess.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

blowfish posted:

also if we're at the point where "tons on independent scientists agree on [thing], but I believe they all got bribed by [bad guys] :freep:" is not considered a stupid opinion for idiots, we're hosed as a society. enjoy your slow backslide into being medieval farmers i guess.

Ok maybe but I still think I have the right to know what I'm eating even if the information isn't necessarily relevant. Packages have a ton of empty space that could be filled with product information. I'm tired of eating something I think is fine and getting loving stomach pains a few hours later

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
I know GBS has a really potent hard on for anti liberal posting but where the gently caress do you guys get that only lefties are scared of gmos?

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

plain blue jacket posted:

I know GBS has a really potent hard on for anti liberal posting but where the gently caress do you guys get that only lefties are scared of gmos?

you care enough about "the left" to make posts disowning parts of it that you don't like, lol

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

kikkelivelho posted:

Ok maybe but I still think I have the right to know what I'm eating even if the information isn't necessarily relevant. Packages have a ton of empty space that could be filled with product information. I'm tired of eating something I think is fine and getting loving stomach pains a few hours later

lol so youre a hypochondriac as well cool

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

kikkelivelho posted:

you're getting stomachaches because your genes are a piece of poo poo it's also why your brain doesn't work right

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
im gluten

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
It really seems like a lefty view (since general hippy-dippie, holistic food concerns tend to be associated with them), but GMO paranoia actually hasn't much in the way of partisan bias, according to surveys. E.g., here, here.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Harvest and eat killer bees (hybrid of African honey bee and Western honey bee) and tell me that GMOs are good for you.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Turns out 57% of U.S. Adults are loving idiots and that's why GMO labeling is stupid

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Aralan posted:

Turns out 57% of U.S. Adults are loving idiots and that's why GMO labeling is stupid

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

I feel like I can't be the only leftist that puts people who are against modern agriculture advances on the same level as anti-vaxxers but it seems like it seems like it has much more traction among progressive so I dunno maybe I'm just not as well read on the issue.

Nah I'm right there with you.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
ooooh eating genetically modified food is going to gently caress up my DNA and make me sick because it is franken food. this is how I, the average fuckbrained american, think genetics and mutation works

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

I imagine the numbers are even higher for Europe where GMO skepticism is by far the norm. It seems the healthiness of GMO foods is far less obvious than people in this thread would like to pretend.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

kikkelivelho posted:

Yeah but if you get the shits that's because you ended up eating some low-quality bullshit or something with allergens relevant to you. GMOs are not allergens (unless you specifically put something that causes allergic reactions in some people into them), and major allergens already have to appear on labels. Maybe you should get tested for lactose intolerance or for being a coeliac or do a general allergy test?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Should we mandate that calorie and nutrional information be written simply so that I don't have to do fractions in my head in the aisle when I decide if 5 3/4ths servings at X calories per serving would be too much for me? Nah haha gently caress THAT im worried about becoming an x man

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Lol forever at gmo food giving you a stomachache. Agh, these genes are so hard to digest!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

kikkelivelho posted:

I imagine the numbers are even higher for Europe where GMO skepticism is by far the norm. It seems the healthiness of GMO foods is far less obvious than people in this thread would like to pretend.

"People are scared of it" is not evidence. It's something new, people instinctively are scared of weird food, but that means we have to teach people it's not actually worth getting worked up over.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
seriously this anti gmo poo poo is the worst kind of faux leftist bourgie bullshit, BILLIONS of people worldwide have been saved from starvation because of GMOs but you want to make it harder for GMOs because of some made up fake science poo poo you get hysterical about

'you' here is meant in the general sense ofc

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

seriously this anti gmo poo poo is the worst kind of faux leftist bourgie bullshit, BILLIONS of people worldwide have been saved from starvation because of GMOs but you want to make it harder for GMOs because of some made up fake science poo poo you get hysterical about

'you' here is meant in the general sense ofc

If this bullshit just stayed in overly wealthy ageing societies it wouldn't be quite as bad, but the European politicians and NGOs are actively lobbying for African nations to adopt similarly retarded types of GM regulation.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

kikkelivelho posted:

You are actually currently proud of holding the same opinion, regarding a scientific matter as the majority of Americans :lol:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

AugmentedVision posted:

You are actually currently proud of holding the same opinion, regarding a scientific matter as the majority of Americans :lol:

Evolution is a lie.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

kikkelivelho posted:

ok youve tipped your hand

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

blowfish posted:

If this bullshit just stayed in overly wealthy ageing societies it wouldn't be quite as bad, but the European politicians and NGOs are actively lobbying for African nations to adopt similarly retarded types of GM regulation.

just like anti-vaxxers convince African nations not to take vaccine shipments because 'whitey is poisoning you with autism' and then poo poo tons of people die of preventable diseases

i hate those kind of leftists more than your standard idiot conservative. at least the latter is honest about 'gently caress you got mine,' the former is killing you in the name of helping you to be more like them.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

kikkelivelho posted:

i think we have conclusive evidence from your posts in this thread that you are in fact an idiot, but not even a funny one

i would launch into marketing 101 regarding your dumb point about empty space on packets but its hard to deliver useful information to someone who has a literal straight hole connecting his ear canals

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

just like anti-vaxxers convince African nations not to take vaccine shipments because 'whitey is poisoning you with autism' and then poo poo tons of people die of preventable diseases

i hate those kind of leftists more than your standard idiot conservative. at least the latter is honest about 'gently caress you got mine,' the former is killing you in the name of helping you to be more like them.

:agreed:, because at least you can count on FYGM types to always want what's best for themselves, while proselytising idiot activists are irrational ideologues who can't be reasoned with even at that basic level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Lichy posted:

i think we have conclusive evidence from your posts in this thread that you are in fact an idiot, but not even a funny one

i would launch into marketing 101 regarding your dumb point about empty space on packets but its hard to deliver useful information to someone who has a literal straight hole connecting his ear canals

Everything should come in a plain white box with the product name, a nutrition label, and then a whole poo poo load of labels describing everything that is in it, isn't in it, and may be in it, actually

• Locked thread