Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

cheerfullydrab posted:

Buildings were built with elevator shafts in them before elevators in buildings were invented, just because people were pretty sure it was going to happen soon. And they were right! Optimism isn't always a stupid thing.

those were called domestic help disposal shafts, it was just a happy coincidence that elevators fit into them

Simstim posted:

why not build a railgun that shoots spaceships into the air?

im the astronaut that can handle *gauge that goes up to 999Gs pinned* Gs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

bitcoin bastard posted:

im the astronaut that can handle *gauge that goes up to 999Gs pinned* Gs

you don't stick people in it. it is a way to get around the weight limit of rockets

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Simstim posted:

you don't stick people in it. it is a way to get around the weight limit of rockets

but how will we ever get to mars like esteemed president george (not h) w bush proclaimed shortly before he invaded a dirt country that already hosed the ussr in the rear end

e: im sorry, i shouldnt make this about politics

lets make it about your dumb anime avatar instead

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

bitcoin bastard posted:

but how will we ever get to mars like esteemed president george (not h) w bush proclaimed shortly before he invaded a dirt country that already hosed the ussr in the rear end

send spaceships or pieces of spaceships that connect together into orbit without any people on it, then the people come in a capsule attached to a rocket and then attach the capsule to the spaceship.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Simstim posted:

send spaceships or pieces of spaceships that connect together into orbit without any people on it, then the people come in a capsule attached to a rocket and then attach the capsule to the spaceship.

you just gave me a great idea buddy and before you ask, no its not anime

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I gotta say guys, this thread makes the space shuttle look like a short bus. :smuggo:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Same but the hyperloop

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
If god wanted man to ride elevators he would have made him with one of those buttons that you push with the little arrows on it

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

8 track betamax posted:

If god wanted man to ride elevators he would have made him with one of those buttons that you push with the little arrows on it

if god wanted chinese people to ride escalators he would have asked for a sacrifice oh wait

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
We don't need a space elevator to go to the stars or create a bunch of huge super-spaceships or anything.

1. Get rockets to the asteroid belt, attach them to asteroids, put asteroids on course to impact Earth.
2. Asteroids hit Earth, break it into many very manageable pieces.
3. Attach rockets to these pieces. Explore the universe!

See, this is how we can put the entire human race in space without any stupid rear end costly elevator.

A CISHET SHITLORD
Sep 10, 2014

LOURDE OF THE SHITS
Pillbug
This thread inspired me to watch Event Horizon again. Movie owns some serious bones

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

In the latest Neal Stephenson doorstopper, problems like this are solved with whips made of robots. That's not useful or practical, but I'm glad someone is writing about whips made of robots.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Dzhay posted:

In the latest Neal Stephenson doorstopper, problems like this are solved with whips made of robots. That's not useful or practical, but I'm glad someone is writing about whips made of robots.

i watched a movie where non-robot whips were used on robots, it was called terminator (1)

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Simstim posted:

why not build a railgun that shoots spaceships into the air?
Incredibly high acceleration immediately followed by incredibly high deceleration and heating that makes reentry heating look like nothing. It's just not a good fit for a large planet with a dense lower atmosphere. Something like the Moon, though, sure.

It's a lot more practical to use a rocket really. There's a lot of really difficult launch methods posited to try and replace rockets but it misses the fact that there's no real need to replace them because there's nothing fundamentally wrong with rockets. What you need is reuse and mass production no matter your method of launch. Launching more rockets and reusing them seems a lot more achievable than railgun launch, space elevators, etc. (as an aside, space elevators like gun launch could be perfectly practical on various smaller bodies in the solar system)

Elukka fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jul 3, 2016

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Even more devastatingly, op, there may be a space elevator but most of space will still not be worth having.

A CISHET SHITLORD
Sep 10, 2014

LOURDE OF THE SHITS
Pillbug

jBrereton posted:

Even more devastatingly, op, there may be a space elevator but most of space will still not be worth having.

Where is your conquering spirit, American? smdh

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Gobblecoque posted:

stupid science bitches are like "ugh buut we just need to invent space mithril and then boom space elevator now excuse me while i peruse i loving love science and watch doctor who"

i loving love science is clickbait internet garbage

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

BossRighteous posted:

Does anyway have a link to the article exploring all of the horrible destruction such a massive object whipping back to earth after an inevitable malfunction/terrorist attack would cause? It was actually pretty rad.

It's also wrong because in order for the collapsing space elevator to have actually existed in the first place, the thing would have to be so lightweight it wouldn't kill anyone even if it directly landed on a person.

If they were real, space elevators would be both lamer and less deadly than rockets.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Someone did the calculations for a space rail gun and it involved heat sinks several square kilometers in size.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

we should prioritise researching the Conjoiner drive, imo

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
Get ALL the buckytubes strands and weave the space elevator upwards from the south pole. Something like a gigotious chinese finger trap.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

i learned what a space elevator was by watching anime :-] it's sounds like a really cool idea!!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
What about a really big catapult?

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Earth is the only spaceship I need, OP.
OP and everyone else actually.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
What about giant blimps in the upper atmosphere with cables that go up to big satellite stations? That way the station wouldn't have to be geostationary, so the cables could be a whole lot shorter, would burn up on reentry and they could even be powered by wind resistance on the blimps as they are dragged around by the satellites. Then your railguns or catapults or rockets or whatever wouldn't have to reach orbit, they'd just have to land things on the low hanging blimps, and the blimps would pass over the launch zones several times a day.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the biggest issue here is where do you get the delta V? none of these are viable without a poo poo ton of (preferably clean) power.

if you have poo poo tons of energy then the mag rail gun thing is probably the best way to go. space elevators prolly not possible barring some insane advances in materials science (which shouldn't ever be ruled out of course).

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Germstore posted:

If it breaks at the base it escapes into space. If it breaks at the counterweight then it falls down to earth. Terrorists would need to get to space to do actual damage.

maybe they could TAKE THE SPACE ELEVATOR

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

bitcoin bastard posted:

yeah the terrorists would have to smuggle a bomb onto some sort of elevator to space in this hypothetical scenario involving a working space elevator

The terrorists would be very obvious but the space elevator doorman would allow them through out of fear of appearing racist

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

how about a trampoline, like a really big one. i'm talkin HUGE

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Parallax Scroll posted:

how about a trampoline, like a really big one. i'm talkin HUGE

Reckon they could make it the size of the earth and you'd still crack your nuts on the side rail. :clint:

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Gobblecoque posted:

stupid science bitches are like "ugh buut we just need to invent space mithril and then boom space elevator now excuse me while i peruse i loving love science and watch doctor who"

This is why I come here, this is a good post

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
why don't we just move everything on earth to space that way we won't need an elevator to get it there later

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Can't we just build an elevator tall enough to reach space from the bottom of the mariana trench so it barely passes the surface of the ocean and doesn't kill us when it falls?

pastorrich
Jun 7, 2008

Keep on truckin' like a novacane hurricane
I figure it only takes two figs

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx

spud posted:

Just set up a kickstarter and we will have one built by Christmas.

oobie
pace elevato

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

bitcoin bastard posted:

e: im sorry, i shouldnt make this about politics

lets make it about your dumb anime avatar instead

Has Lupin III ever gone to space? I bet he has. He probably master thief'd something off of the moon or whatever.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Imagine the sick youtube video of it crashing down tho.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Moridin920 posted:

the biggest issue here is where do you get the delta V? none of these are viable without a poo poo ton of (preferably clean) power.

if you have poo poo tons of energy then the mag rail gun thing is probably the best way to go. space elevators prolly not possible barring some insane advances in materials science (which shouldn't ever be ruled out of course).
We get poo poo tons of energy from various chemical fuels in a way that's a lot easier to do than a railgun, plus starting at low speeds and ending up at high speeds is a lot better than starting at a ludicrously high speed and ending at a slightly lower speed when your starting point is a dense atmosphere.

Rockets are actually pretty good for this.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

oobie
pace elevato

nanotubes piled high

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

cheerfullydrab posted:

Buildings were built with elevator shafts in them before elevators in buildings were invented, just because people were pretty sure it was going to happen soon. And they were right! Optimism isn't always a stupid thing.

A bizarre example. Nobody had used science to show why elevators could not be built. The is a difference between not knowing how to do a thing, and being able to prove it can't be done.

• Locked thread