Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The Purge: Election Year

"It's like "the purge," Morty. That movie "the purge"? Oh, have you been here before? No, no, but I've been to a few planets with the same gimmick. You know, sometimes it's called the cleansing or the red time. There was this one world that called it just murder night. I-it's a purge planet."

The Purge: Election Year is a 2016 American social science fiction action horror film, written and directed by James DeMonaco and starring Frank Grillo and Elizabeth Mitchell. A sequel to the 2014 film The Purge: Anarchy, it is the third installment in The Purge series. The film was released on July 1, 2016, received mixed reviews from critics and has grossed over $3 million.

Sample video of The Purge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=welqyAKtmeE

The Plot: Its all about this one night a year to release the beast because all crime is legal to "somehow" balance society... or just used by the government to kill all the poor people.

This is the 3rd movie and the second one to technically carry the plot forward although the black soldier from The Purge is back yet again. If you have't seen the other movies it most likely wont change your experience too much.

The movie was alright. It almost feels like they could follow up with one more movie but it could just be the end.

What you get to see:
More purging
More "purge groups"
More blood
Another Government deathsquad Kinda not a spoiler from the trailers I guess.

Lets talk about the movie!

Pictures, I guess!

Actual trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rqIJcY9hMc

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jul 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

How does Purge 2 compare to the first? I thought the first was kinda boring - too many scenes of people walking around with flashlights out. Is the second more fun?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

well why not posted:

How does Purge 2 compare to the first? I thought the first was kinda boring - too many scenes of people walking around with flashlights out. Is the second more fun?

It has more purgy action type scenes but its still a load of poo poo like the first

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

The Purge 2 (aka Anarchy) is basically a modern day Escape from New York and it rules. Takes the concept to where it needed to go to pay off and be fun and retroactively makes the first one better because we're no longer annoyed that we don't know what the streets are like on Purge Night.

I saw Election Year last night and it's something of a retread of the second one, and the first 10-15 minutes is some of the worst dialogue I've ever heard. But once the purging begins it picks up and finds its place and it's really fun. Features the full-on proletariat revolution the second one was setting up for.

Also has the single best shot of the year when the dude in the Lincoln get-up gets shot full of holes in slow-mo. Now THAT'S a metaphor!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

well why not posted:

Purge 2 was way better than the first one because it actually had a plot other then lets hide in this house for 2 hours.

TrixRabbi posted:

I saw Election Year last night and it's something of a retread of the second one

They showed more of the social services during the purge, medics and the dead body pickup truck and some more purge groups and at least one that wasn't blood crazy violent.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 2, 2016

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
The Purge movies were ok, but so plot hole ridden I cant take them seriously.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's hilarious that I've never seen anyone defend the first Purge movie because it's basically The Strangers but with a premise that is so much more than the movie ever could have been. I'm glad they took the (IMO) correct route and turned away from horror and more toward bloody B-movie action because Election Day is the poo poo.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Yeah the first movie just looked like a premise with no real substantial movie attached to it. I skipped over it and watched Anarchy which was alright and pretty fun. It felt like the kind of movie you'd expect from the first movie's premise.

I am kind of curious now to watch the first movie, just to see if they could've just made a straight-up copy of The Strangers without needing "The Purge" as a framing device to explain how nobody can help them.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Yoshifan823 posted:

It's hilarious that I've never seen anyone defend the first Purge movie because it's basically The Strangers but with a premise that is so much more than the movie ever could have been. I'm glad they took the (IMO) correct route and turned away from horror and more toward bloody B-movie action because Election Day is the poo poo.

drat thats pretty crazy, its almost that movie could of happened in the purge universe.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
Activist politicians are trying to take away the God-given right of millions of upstanding Americans to purge responsibly. Millions of citizens use the purge to defend themselves and their families. The only thing that stops a bad person on a purge is a good person on a purge. The founding fathers intended

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cubone posted:

Activist politicians are trying to take away the God-given right of millions of upstanding Americans to purge responsibly. Millions of citizens use the purge to defend themselves and their families. The only thing that stops a bad person on a purge is a good person on a purge. The founding fathers intended

I swear to god there was one line during the Minister's sermon about a woman spreading poison and taking away rights that could have been dropped into any far-right Republican's stump speech section about Hillary Clinton without a changed word. They really did a good job on this one.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Subtle isn't a word I would want to use in the same sentence as The Purge, but it's nice to see a lovely movie with some heart that isn't afraid to just go all out. This is probably going to wind up being one of my favorite movies this year just because of how fun it is.

The best part of the movie was that really chill and friendly purge group with the death pendulum thing set up in an alley.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I'm always surprised by how many people either haven't watched The Purge movies or actively hate on them because the premise is dumb. It's literally the closest thing we have right now to 70's dystopia movies. The Purge: Election Year and Death Race 2000 and Soylent Green are all cut from the same exact cloth.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

TrixRabbi posted:

I'm always surprised by how many people either haven't watched The Purge movies or actively hate on them because the premise is dumb.
While the premise is unquestionably dumb, it's delightful enough that it should have inspired really good, Roger Corman Death Race 2000-y exploitation films which it hasn't.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

caligulamprey posted:

While the premise is unquestionably dumb, it's delightful enough that it should have inspired really good, Roger Corman Death Race 2000-y exploitation films which it hasn't.

The Purge: Anarchy and The Purge: Election Year not included I assume because those totally are Roger Corman Death Race 2000-y exploitation films. The premise is no more dumb than Logan's Run or Escape From New York.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

TrixRabbi posted:

I'm always surprised by how many people either haven't watched The Purge movies or actively hate on them because the premise is dumb. It's literally the closest thing we have right now to 70's dystopia movies.

Doesn't the bolded portion nullify your surprise at least a little? The 70s were almost five decades ago, so its draw for the audience would be faint at best for all but the most interested in it.

Like, this was my first Purge movie and I dug it a lot, but the premise alone didn't grab my interest because it's about as believable as Antiviral's. My main motivator was seeing if they'd have the anti-Purge lady survive and/or succeed in stopping the series's core gimmick.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's a horror movie, you know good and well there is a sequel tag.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's a horror movie, you know good and well there is a sequel tag.

I had it spoiled for me, but I was convinced beforehand that it'd go "Hahah, gently caress you, the lady dies and the Purge continues, and potentially the pro-Purge uses that death to make everyone hate anti-Purge people because we're totally not going to stop making these movies", because of course that's how it has to happen.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I really liked the little Purge skit montages. Like the LARP: Purge night fight was amazing. It felt like something from a completely different movie altogther. That and the "I'm the Fittest!" guy.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Thundercracker posted:

the "I'm the Fittest!" guy.

That's my favorite purger.

Standing around covered in blood and yelling has got to show you, maybe he is.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I'm wondering if they do a 4th, The Anti-Pirge candidate takes office of Presidency but can't get the bill passed because the Senate is controlled by pro-Purge Senators .

There were a lot of slick touches in this edition - I especially liked the 'murder tourism' angle,

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Dead Snoopy posted:

I'm wondering if they do a 4th, The Anti-Pirge candidate takes office of Presidency but can't get the bill passed because the Senate is controlled by pro-Purge Senators .

They could do another movie but it would be more of rioting or riot purging or a civil war.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 5, 2016

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

They could do another movie but it would be more of rioting or riot purging or a civil war.

I think one of these movies ending with a trial in the Hague would be pretty great.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

TrixRabbi posted:

I'm always surprised by how many people either haven't watched The Purge movies or actively hate on them because the premise is dumb.

it reminds me of people in the 80s who thought the handmaid's tale was "over the top" and now look where we are.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Logically the best way to end the purge would be to form anti-purge Phalanx-Posses and kill everyone who wants to purge.

Hopefully that will be the premise of the 4th movie; with constant escalation between both sides.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Groovelord Neato posted:

it reminds me of people in the 80s who thought the handmaid's tale was "over the top" and now look where we are.

The Nu Founding Fathers concept I feel is ripped straight out of The Handmaid's Tale. It would be cool if this was a Gilead side story.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Subtle isn't a word I would want to use in the same sentence as The Purge, but it's nice to see a lovely movie with some heart that isn't afraid to just go all out.
It kind of is afraid to go all out though. There's been quite a bit of a discussion in the Horror thread about how they promote it by saying "all crime is legal", but all crime actually isn't legal because there are a lot of restrictions. I feel like they should just go big or go home.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
I like the shot in the trailer of the Lincoln Memorial with "PURGE" in big bloody letters across the columns. Those letters have to be at least 15 to 20 feet up- did the people who painted them bring scaffolds along?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

It kind of is afraid to go all out though. There's been quite a bit of a discussion in the Horror thread about how they promote it by saying "all crime is legal", but all crime actually isn't legal because there are a lot of restrictions. I feel like they should just go big or go home.

Maybe that's the point? It's not a spoiler to say that the movies, especially the last couple, present that the Purge is a huge scam brought on by a conservative government used to eliminate undesirables.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I want to see the Purge movie that follows some low-level accountant just staying home with his laptop embezzling the poo poo out of his company through the state-sanctioned murder night

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I want to see the Purge movie that follows some low-level accountant just staying home with his laptop embezzling the poo poo out of his company through the state-sanctioned murder night

That would be brilliant. I did love Election Year as a massive send up to Escape from: and Deathrace 2000. There's some great scenes, but a lot of them betray deeper ideas that could have been explored more. The Freakbride specifically I think sets up an exploration into "Why people purge" and selling this violence as something sexy, but I guess taboo, but the film doesn't really come back to think about it, it just hits her with an ambulance and moves on.

I do want to talk about it's politics though, because even though it's visually on the nose, and it treats American conservatism with all the seriousness they deserve right now the script and it's solutions to the problem are kinda murky. I knows its enemy well, paints the hipocracy of the conservative party super solid, and the blindness that the Purgers have in following them just as well copies the problem. The whole "the purge is just a big scam to get rid of poors drat the consequences on anyone but the super wealthy" coming to bite the supper wealthy in the rear end, brilliant! The sermon was also perfectly crafted to sound more like a Hitler speech in words with a much more subdued delivery, The Purge knows to craft a villain that's all too realistic for it's bonkers premise.

For a movie about promoting a solution though it kinda gets a solid thesis of "hey neither political action or radical action will fix things, both are aspects of change that need to happen," but then doesn't say much else. Especially after doing the "kill like 30 people, better not kill Basically Hitler." Also I was 100% we had to black male protagonists so one could survive and the other would die in the surprise it's not over quite yet scene soo boo hiss on that front. Also the soundtrack didn't have enough synth, like it had some, and it was growing throughout the movie seeping into the soundtrack so I was expecting to have it go full Carpenter during the Helicopter fight that never happened but the pop songs that were used were A++ T-rex and Miley Cyrus are kinda perfect for this movie.

It's a flawed loveletter that fits in perfectly with some of my favorite flawed films of all time. DeMonaco has a great eye and has channeled his utter contempt for American Politics into something special here.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I've only seen the second movie, and I was surprised at how almost optimistic it was. Most people want to stay in. The resistance wasn't steamrolled by the government, betrayed from within, or actually an Emmanuel Goldstein-esque honeypot. The main guy shows mercy and is actually rewarded for it.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Is the Purge a global thing or just an American tradition? Why not spend the night in Canada or Mexico to escape the slaughter?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Kurzon posted:

Is the Purge a global thing or just an American tradition? Why not spend the night in Canada or Mexico to escape the slaughter?

there's probably a ton of total wieners who loudly declare every year that if the Purge doesn't get canceled they're moving to Canada, and never do

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Or maybe this America has sealed borders, like North Korea.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Kurzon posted:

In the third movie, they explicitly have people coming to America to purge, especially since it potentially be the last one. Presumably, there's nowhere else to go if you want to kill.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

sticklefifer posted:

It kind of is afraid to go all out though. There's been quite a bit of a discussion in the Horror thread about how they promote it by saying "all crime is legal", but all crime actually isn't legal because there are a lot of restrictions.

but that's the point.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Kurzon posted:

These colors don't run bro. :911:

grahf987
May 11, 2009
The Purge movies are just fun, this one is no exception. Although it has a few actors chewing through the drat screen like you would not believe, it kind of fits with the idea of everybody has one night to drop all pretenses of society. I would total be up for a TV that just jumped around the country to tell various stories about what weird/crazy happenings the purge would cause, World War Z book style. Was anybody else wanting more of the Senators back story? Im pretty sure I understand what occurred but the purger in that scene was chilling and could of used a little more of him, plus the main military bad felt kind of flat and undeveloped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
It's kind of weird to hear people think that society is just an illusion, a veneer that hides a latent savagery that could burst loose at any moment. When I look at the history of social activism, I get the opposite impression. Human beings have an excessive need for stability, conformity, security, and tradition. This was a big problem for those progressive who tried to convince society that making black people work for no money or keeping women in the kitchen were bad ideas..

• Locked thread