Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Rutibex posted:

i just read this article and lol the author is a real maroon. he takes his theory all the way back to the War of the Roses, but when the loving English Civil War doesn't fit into the timeline he just ignores it :psyduck:

Eh, it lines up close enough to the Brexit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
You've convinced me, OP. I'm voting Hilary in '16 to stave this off you're loving welcome

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

honestly though is it really any surprise that every few years people do stupid poo poo and go to war and whatever
i mean look at all of human history

the only argument we ever have is that this modern day society we are living in is the "good one" and that we can make everything better
does anybody think that about us?

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

no with hindsight its just funny to see a bunch of people all like hooray hitler this is gonna be great

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

The Brexit was ultimately a leftist movement. Don't let the racist, anti-immigration narrative of the leave voters fool you: the brexit was always and will always be at it's heart a proletarian revolution against the ruling political and financial classes. The movement has been stained as racist both because the revolutionaries have been fooled into thinking that foreigners are the enemy and because the ruling classes are now trying to discredit their revolution by painting them as intolerant fuckwits.

So no, this is not comparable to previous far-right events. It's at it's core a rebellion against capitalism and globalism, nothing like the events you are trying to compare it to.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Thank God I'm to old to be drafted.

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

kikkelivelho posted:

So no, this is not comparable to previous far-right events. It's at it's core a rebellion against capitalism and globalism, nothing like the events you are trying to compare it to.

Lol

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
I'M FROM BUENOS AIRES AND I SAY KILL EM ALL

Disconnecticus
Oct 21, 2012

Wait, like, actual money?

kikkelivelho posted:

It's at it's core a rebellion against capitalism and globalism, nothing like the events you are trying to compare it to.

Trying to sort this thing into left/right is trying to fit six-dimensional hypershapes into square and round holes. You've got the left allied with globalist stateless capitalists, you've got libertarians shuffling up awkwardly next to the neo-nazis, and various Christian denominations trying to look like they don't want to tear each other's eyes out. Black-clad upstanding young men are beating people in the streets and then listening to government sermons about tolerance with approving nods. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit
Imagine four turnings at the edge of a cliff...

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Volume posted:

Thank God I'm to old to be drafted.

I doubt there's ever going to be draft again. Modern wars are heavily based on electronic / information warfare and deniable black operations. IT infrastructure damage and plausible deniability are far more valuable than any raw manpower provided by a theoretical draft. Globalization together with nuclear weapons have made traditional war scenarios undesirable. Unless you posses high level hacking skills the army most likely has no use for you.

Disconnecticus posted:

Trying to sort this thing into left/right is trying to fit six-dimensional hypershapes into square and round holes. You've got the left allied with globalist stateless capitalists, you've got libertarians shuffling up awkwardly next to the neo-nazis, and various Christian denominations trying to look like they don't want to tear each other's eyes out. Black-clad upstanding young men are beating people in the streets and then listening to government sermons about tolerance with approving nods. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

That's exactly what I said. The individual personas and factions involved in the leave vote are not necessarily leftist or even centrist, but the ultimate goal of the brexit is still leftist national in its nature. While the masses themselves maybe unaware of this fact the elite have certainly noticed it: see how both the politicians and the rich financial elite are trying to delay and ignore the results of the vote. See how the leftist labour party is showing support to the leave side. The brexit is ultimately about fighting the ever increasing control of global capital.

Dengue_Fever
Sep 21, 2011

kikkelivelho posted:

The Brexit was ultimately a leftist movement. Don't let the racist, anti-immigration narrative of the leave voters fool you: the brexit was always and will always be at it's heart a proletarian revolution against the ruling political and financial classes. The movement has been stained as racist both because the revolutionaries have been fooled into thinking that foreigners are the enemy and because the ruling classes are now trying to discredit their revolution by painting them as intolerant fuckwits.

I hope to God you are right. I can see that you probably are. We have the chance to take greater charge as working people, but it may just be squandered and that power may be wrested away by strongman rulers, like in days past.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Dengue_Fever posted:

1929 stock market crash>>>80 years/4 generations>>>2008 'financial crisis'

1930s rise in populism, nationalism, and strongman leaders in Europe and America>>>80 years/4 generations>>>NOW circa 2016; rise in populism, nationalism and strongman leaders in Europe and America a la Brexit and Trump

circa 1940 outbreak of major world-wide conflict>>>80 years/4 genertions>>>2020 outbreak of major conflict/catastrophe

According to Strauss and Howe's 'Four Turnings' generational theory we have four years or so till SOME MAJOR poo poo happens.

sweet, by then i'll be too old for the draft, can join the home guard and hopefully get assigned to somewhere high up so i can get a good view of the SS-18 flattening my hometown

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Zahgaegun posted:

You've convinced me, OP. I'm voting Hilary in '16 to stave this off you're loving welcome

What will you do when it turns out she's Hitler's reincarnation and she looks into your eyes and says "Did you Nazi this coming?"?

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

Dreddout posted:

What will you do when it turns out she's Hitler's reincarnation and she looks into your eyes and says "Did you Nazi this coming?"?

The prophecy clearly states 'strongman', of which Hilary is neither therefore she's the Chosen One to break the krebs cycle or whatever.

She's so DYEL it hurts

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
Imagine four turnings on the edge of a cliff.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

god i loving wish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr_cramalldees
Dec 14, 2015

Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

• Locked thread