Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«1038 »
galenanorth
May 19, 2016

"The Abandoned" (DS9 S03E06) was a really good episode. It reminds me of the time I was helping a friend struggling with alcoholism and it reached a point where it didn't seem like there was anything else I could do.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at Jun 23, 2018 around 08:52

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

This has probably been discussed before, but I just saw an episode of Deep Space Nine where some sort of high level Bajoran guy was doing some important negotiating with a Cardassian, and he was in a accident that almost killed him. To keep the Bajoran alive and functional, Bashir has to replace part of his brain with some sort of artificial positronic implants. Bashir worries that a special "spark of life" will be lost when he puts these artificial brain areas in the Bajoran guy's brain and, sure enough, when the Bajoran is conscious again he says that everything feels different and off. Later on, the Bajoran has some sort of stroke and is near death. Kira wants Bashir to replace the guy's entire brain with a positronic brain, but Bashir says that if he did that the spark of life would be entirely gone from the guy and that they should just let him die. And, sure enough, they just let the guy die. Uhh...that's a pretty big gently caress you to Data, who apparently doesn't have this magical spark of life because his brain is a completely artifical positronic brain. Granted, Data didn't start off as an organic person and then get changed into an artificial person, he was artificial from the start, but still. It's also a pretty big rebuke to people who want to upload their consciousness to a computer or the cloud or whatever, since they wouldn't have this spark of life anymore either. I mean, replacing someone's brain with an artificial brain is problematic, but the whole story line had a little too much of a religious feel for a star trek ep.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I just *LOVE* spoonheads

DrNutt posted:

The gently caress. mods????

The E-D is a bloated whale of a ship, sorry, easily my least favorite of the various Enterprise designs. My favorite two, though, have by far the least amount of screen time: the Excelsior class E-B and the Ambassador class E-C.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Dennis System posted:

This has probably been discussed before, but I just saw an episode of Deep Space Nine where some sort of high level Bajoran guy was doing some important negotiating with a Cardassian, and he was in a accident that almost killed him. To keep the Bajoran alive and functional, Bashir has to replace part of his brain with some sort of artificial positronic implants. Bashir worries that a special "spark of life" will be lost when he puts these artificial brain areas in the Bajoran guy's brain and, sure enough, when the Bajoran is conscious again he says that everything feels different and off. Later on, the Bajoran has some sort of stroke and is near death. Kira wants Bashir to replace the guy's entire brain with a positronic brain, but Bashir says that if he did that the spark of life would be entirely gone from the guy and that they should just let him die. And, sure enough, they just let the guy die. Uhh...that's a pretty big gently caress you to Data, who apparently doesn't have this magical spark of life because his brain is a completely artifical positronic brain. Granted, Data didn't start off as an organic person and then get changed into an artificial person, he was artificial from the start, but still. It's also a pretty big rebuke to people who want to upload their consciousness to a computer or the cloud or whatever, since they wouldn't have this spark of life anymore either. I mean, replacing someone's brain with an artificial brain is problematic, but the whole story line had a little too much of a religious feel for a star trek ep.
That episode is kind of weird in that it suggests that Bashir can just give the guy an artificial positronic brain, even though TNG established that the Federation has not been able to replicate Data's kind of technology....

Kaysette
Jan 4, 2009

"Heroes never die!"

Cythereal posted:

The E-D is a bloated whale of a ship, sorry, easily my least favorite of the various Enterprise designs. My favorite two, though, have by far the least amount of screen time: the Excelsior class E-B and the Ambassador class E-C.

B > A > C > original > E > D

I love TNG but the galaxy class is dumb.

«1038 »