Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
The Yorktown is really cool. I still prefer the Mushroom Boi over Earth but Yorktown is a really cool futuristic concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I just never thought it fit with the rest of the design aesthetic of the movies or the shows

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

feedmyleg posted:

I think it looks a bit silly. Maybe a few design revisions down the line it could be neat—the concept of a city skyline existing in multiple directions is neat—but it feels really half-baked as presented. I don't think it's effectively considering space as a proper 3-dimensional place or capitalizing on that idea. And why are the starships docked so far away from the city centers?

They have to be far away for the inevitable explosion of the ships.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Plus you want a real nice, full view of all the ships from the restaurants.

And the explosions.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Yorktown would have been substantially less cool if it didn't have a killer musical leitmotif associated with it. "Night on the Yorktown" is legit one of my favorite Trek tracks (...Star Tracks, if you will...) ever.

It's just so grand, optimistic and futurey and Federation space utopia-y, I love it.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Drone posted:

Yorktown would have been substantially less cool if it didn't have a killer musical leitmotif associated with it. "Night on the Yorktown" is legit one of my favorite Trek tracks (...Star Tracks, if you will...) ever.

It's just so grand, optimistic and futurey and Federation space utopia-y, I love it.

It really is a good track for getting across what the Yorktown is.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

And why are the starships docked so far away from the city centers?

Because it looks cool with the big swoosh.

When it's civilian facilities, 'because it looks cool' is a legitimate in-universe excuse.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My biggest issue with Yorktown is they built this massive space station with families and such literally 5 minutes flight from an anomaly they couldn't scan into that housed an M class planet.

I mean, who does the zoning approval in the federation? Don't you think you should check out for neighborhood hazards before building this massive space station and asking families to move out to it.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

The Federation likes it weird and dangerous, this is canon

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

bull3964 posted:

My biggest issue with Yorktown is they built this massive space station with families and such literally 5 minutes flight from an anomaly they couldn't scan into that housed an M class planet.

I mean, who does the zoning approval in the federation? Don't you think you should check out for neighborhood hazards before building this massive space station and asking families to move out to it.

Look, they sent a ship in to investigate, it vanished and was never heard from again, what more do you want them to do?!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

bull3964 posted:

This is Star Trek, you're *never* more than five minutes away from a deadly anomaly.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Not that we didn't know already, but Zachary Quinto has effectively confirmed that Star Trek 4 is dead.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Miraculously both Ensign Kim and I have made it to season 4 of Voyager. It's all a very, very shallow slope uphill from here.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Timby posted:

Not that we didn't know already, but Zachary Quinto has effectively confirmed that Star Trek 4 is dead.

Star Trek 5: The Search for Star Trek 4

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Doggles posted:

Star Trek 5: The Search for Star Trek 4

Space Quest XII: Vohaul's Revenge II

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II: Mysteries of the Sith

Oh wait that was a real thing

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

That big S also presumably has a number of dock spaces... you could store the antimatter or whatever well away from the school building. It looks pretty cool.

I loved Yorktown but I think you would have gotten a similar effect with an embellished O'Neill cylinder or something, but I also imagine they got permission to use the new buildings in Dubai as a backdrop and kind of designed out from there.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Starting watching this for the first time with The Next Generation, on season 3 now. Strangely calming to watch without having the already built up fandom.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Senor Tron posted:

Wonder if the replicators can make viruses.

They did in Babel.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Timby posted:

I'm fine with it to be honest. Beyond was a strange movie that only kinda works and the plot rumors for ST4 sounded really uninteresting.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

knox posted:

Starting watching this for the first time with The Next Generation, on season 3 now. Strangely calming to watch without having the already built up fandom.

I'm behind you. As someone who watched episodes as much as she could as a young kid and devoured secondary media, early TNG is really nice and small. It's kind of quaint in a way, they get to do cool things and not worry about the onus of STAR TREK upon them. I just finished Time Squared and it was great, but that's an episode that would feel really underbaked five more intricate time travel episodes in. Instead, it gets to be a very cold character drama, and you get things like Pulaski mentioning she can remove Picard from command without it actually being done.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Hemsworth is crying himself to sleep.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Hemsworth is crying himself to sleep.
Wasn't the whole deal that they weren't going to be able to pay him to come back and also keep the cast together?

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
I wish the Yorktown was an alien station they encountered. Then the difference between that and other starfleet tech would have made sense.

It also would have been a better thing to encounter than the stuff that was the main focus of the movie...

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Arivia posted:

I'm behind you. As someone who watched episodes as much as she could as a young kid and devoured secondary media, early TNG is really nice and small. It's kind of quaint in a way, they get to do cool things and not worry about the onus of STAR TREK upon them. I just finished Time Squared and it was great, but that's an episode that would feel really underbaked five more intricate time travel episodes in. Instead, it gets to be a very cold character drama, and you get things like Pulaski mentioning she can remove Picard from command without it actually being done.

They totally did have that onus on them though. Trek was a huge franchise already with a (the) Fandom and its success as movies was the big reason it got a tv revival. It’s more likely that when you were a kid you just didn’t know or care about any of that poo poo.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Arivia posted:

This is what modern Trek projects are missing, everything is so recursive and self-referential and heavy with the weight of franchise it's palpable. TNG was (with a few notable and very not precedent-setting exceptions) a clean break from what came before it, while everything since DS9 has been afraid to go forward, literally and/or figuratively. Trek used to be a trendsetter, now it's just another lame follower.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Pascallion posted:

I wish the Yorktown was an alien station they encountered. Then the difference between that and other starfleet tech would have made sense.

It also would have been a better thing to encounter than the stuff that was the main focus of the movie...
Nothing in Yorktown seems to go against the technology Star Trek has had since forever. We have just rarely seen it fully deployed.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Nessus posted:

Nothing in Yorktown seems to go against the technology Star Trek has had since forever. We have just rarely seen it fully deployed.

Part of the inspiration for Iain M. Banks' The Culture series is "what if Star Trek technology, taken to its logical extremes".

If you assume the tech we see in the franchise can be applied in different contexts, things get a little crazy.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Yorktown isn't really any more advanced than Spacedock. It's often assumed in the series that the ships have the best tech the Federation has, but really it makes sense that they would be hamstringed by needing to be small enough to fit in a sip and reliable enough to maybe go years away from repair crews.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

Yorktown isn't really any more advanced than Spacedock. It's often assumed in the series that the ships have the best tech the Federation has, but really it makes sense that they would be hamstringed by needing to be small enough to fit in a sip and reliable enough to maybe go years away from repair crews.
It's basically a giant bubble in space that houses all sorts of outdoor living quarters, it has to be way harder to build than something like Spacedock which is enclosed.

The idea is cool but it doesn't fit at all IMO with the rest of what we have seen in either the JJTrek films or other Trek media.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's basically a giant bubble in space that houses all sorts of outdoor living quarters, it has to be way harder to build than something like Spacedock which is enclosed.
Transparent aluminum, boom, done

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

crystalline entity shows up, proposes, proceeds to glomp

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

The idea is cool but it doesn't fit at all IMO with the rest of what we have seen in either the JJTrek films or other Trek media.
Not really, you just make a big bubble.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

skasion posted:

They totally did have that onus on them though. Trek was a huge franchise already with a (the) Fandom and its success as movies was the big reason it got a tv revival. It’s more likely that when you were a kid you just didn’t know or care about any of that poo poo.

It was a franchise, but it wasn't a hidebound franchise with a ton of continuity/a formula/common motifs to work around. If Time Squared was a Voyager episode, Pulaski mentioning removing the captain from command WOULD have been done, you wouldn't have had the fascinating bits where Riker and Troi try to talk Picard down, and I'm not sure if Picard would have shot himself. (Star Trek loves killing its main cast members when it doesn't "count," but it sure is way more impactful here than in Voyager where the Real Harry Kim gets sucked out a hull breach and no one gives a poo poo.)

e: and I was totally into the whole franchise/continuity thing as a kid. I spent hours reading and rereading the Encyclopedia, I know half this poo poo by heart just by reading the synopses over and over again. Which is why it's so fascinating when I'm actually watching it, to see how the show is more of a show first and the Star Trek Juggernaut second.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Timby posted:

I love Beyond but there was basically no way any of the potential sequel ideas they had would have resulted in a good movie. Plus, no real guarantee anyone other than Quinto and Pine would have been in it, so :shrug:

When they inevitably introduce “young” McCoy on Strange New Worlds I would be extremely down for Urban to reprise the role. I know he often veered into just doing a Kelley impression, but I still enjoyed the hell out of him in those films.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I always liked Urban's performance. I also wonder how much Anton Yelchin dying tragically changed the future of this franchise.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

I've always assumed that Spacedock could be pressurised, hence being mostly enclosed with the big doors. Would make ship construction and repairs a lot easier if you could do it without needing to wear spacesuits. It's shown as being hazy in there which implies some kind of atmosphere. Make hull of Spacedock out of transparent aluminium and you're already a big chunk of the way there.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

I always liked Urban's performance. I also wonder how much Anton Yelchin dying tragically changed the future of this franchise.

Pegg at least has said that this is a significant reason why he's not pushing for it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Not really, you just have to build the bubble, which is a simple geometric sphere of flat glass planes and struts, and then you can just fill it with air and it's super-easy to do all the work inside. Probably the ideal environment, actually: breathable air, no pesky gravity unless you want there to be, and lots of space to push chunks of stuff around and into place.

It's not that clear onscreen becaue we only see small glimpses but Starbase One at Earth in Star Trek 2009 and Into Darkness is actually a kind of proto-yorktown, the sphere in the middle is glass and there are buildings and structures inside, so there's some nice continuity of Yorktown being an upgraded version of that concept. (Starbase One is also a super-neat tribute to Franz Joseph's Starfleet Command, which was very similarly laid out: a big hollow livable bubble in the middle and six docks arrayed around it in a ring.)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

if it's made of glass you can just do big-rear end zero gravity glass blowing to inflate it