Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Senor Tron posted:

There's also the appearance of Bashir in Birthright. The most difficult but authentic way to watch the shows would be the way they aired, so alternate episodes of TNG and DS9.

I think whenever anyone does this they say it makes Voyager a real slog to have to deal with the quality contrast.

Why was Trek always so crap at doing crossovers between concurrently airing shows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cat Hatter posted:

I think whenever anyone does this they say it makes Voyager a real slog to have to deal with the quality contrast.

Why was Trek always so crap at doing crossovers between concurrently airing shows?

I mean, outside of Worf joining DS9 at the start of the fourth season, the only real crossovers were, what, Birthright in TNG having Bashir getting a boner over Data (and Birthright suuuuuucks), Quark launching Voyager and Zefram Cochrane launching NX-01? I mean, there's Barclay in Voyager, but that wasn't a concurrently running show with TNG.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cat Hatter posted:

Hey voyager had some great crossovers!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Timby posted:

I mean, outside of Worf joining DS9 at the start of the fourth season, the only real crossovers were, what, Birthright in TNG having Bashir getting a boner over Data (and Birthright suuuuuucks), Quark launching Voyager and Zefram Cochrane launching NX-01? I mean, there's Barclay in Voyager, but that wasn't a concurrently running show with TNG.

Quark turns up in at least one other TNG episode. Riker calls him up.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Sash! posted:

Quark turns up in at least one other TNG episode. Riker calls him up.

Firstborn, the one where Alexander goes back in time to kill himself because he’s so lame. Quark gives Riker info on finding the Duras sisters in exchange for bar credits or something.

IIRC, Quark was also going to have a cameo at the end of Insurrection but it was cut or never filmed.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

IIRC, Quark was also going to have a cameo at the end of Insurrection but it was cut or never filmed.

Oh, it was filmed all right.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

How do you even shoehorn Quark into the end of Insurrection?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Quark heard about magical regeneration land and shows up trying to build a tourist resort and sell tickets and worf has to drag him off.

Not kidding.

tmm3k
Jul 19, 2006

Zaroff posted:

Even without watching DS9 and knowing what the Defiant was, you can just presume Worf was transferred to a bad-rear end little gunship which he was commanding during the Borg incident.

Little?

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.

Cat Hatter posted:

Logistics. Even the Bashir crossover was a last minute rewrite that made no sense - it was supposed to be Dax, but Terry Farrell was filming DS9 so they did a quick CTRL-F and you get the Doctor randomly fiddling with gadgets. Most crossovers back then were basically just meaningless single character cameos because pre-Internet, you also couldn't assume most or even some of the audience were familiar with the other show. Working that stuff out is part of the fun of connected universes, but take away the ability to work it out and you just end up with an episode that weirdly fawns over what appears to be some random single episode side character.

If it was today, you'd have a whole scene of Picard trying to make a piece offering to Sisko after their disastrous first encounter and Sisko learning forgiveness or something, but that was too much character development to happen on a different show no-one watched.

Trek doesn't get enough credit for the shared universe - Buffy/Angel tends to get all the kudos, but in some ways, Trek really was the proto-MCU. And, while the nature of the MCU means it's taking longer, it's starting to buckle under the weight of its own canon just like Trek did.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Really, the closest thing to an organized cross-promotion in the TNG era was Unification airing a few weeks before Star Trek VI and mentioning Spock's role in negotiating peace with the Klingons.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Pastamania posted:

Trek doesn't get enough credit for the shared universe - Buffy/Angel tends to get all the kudos, but in some ways, Trek really was the proto-MCU. And, while the nature of the MCU means it's taking longer, it's starting to buckle under the weight of its own canon just like Trek did.

That's exactly my approach to canon.

You want to reboot things? Go right ahead and just make clear it's a reboot/reimagining/whatever. The problems with the JJverse had nothing at all to do with it ditching canon for the most part.

If you say it's in the same continuity then you should be embracing that.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm about to move into TOS Season 3 also which I have mostly never watched.

On the plus side, after TOS S3 comes The Animated Series which is glorious in many ways. It has its lows, but on average it's probably better than S3.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Trek fans.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Trek fans.

"her vagina" has big :females: energy.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Did that... come with the other stickers??

E: Capital V Vagina

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

womb with a view posted:

VIOLIN!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
V’ga

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Quark heard about magical regeneration land and shows up trying to build a tourist resort and sell tickets and worf has to drag him off.

Not kidding.

Which is a far more sensible plan than what the Federation were going to do so I see why they cut it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Not kidding.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

womb with a view posted:

"V'giny"? Doesn't ring a bell

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

Trek fans.

For a Trek fan the disclaimer really isn't necessary.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

womb with a view posted:

Yes; the VIOLIN one, strangely enough

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Zaroff posted:

Honestly I think the scene in question makes sense without watching anything else:

We know the Enterprise-D goes kablooey at the end of Generations and it makes sense that the crew might be reassigned elsewhere. Even without watching DS9 and knowing what the Defiant was, you can just presume Worf was transferred to a bad-rear end little gunship which he was commanding during the Borg incident.

To be honest you might as well argue that they need to see some of Voyager to explain the EMH cameo as well!

It always bugged me that they just said "EMH" instead of "Emergency medical hologram," because who the hell who hasn't seen Voyager knows what an "EMH" is?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Apparently Lower Decks is dropping 6 August.

:toot:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Zurui posted:

Apparently Lower Decks is dropping 6 August.

:toot:

They're gonna drop a Lower Decker on us alright

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

If they end up not having an episode about figuring out how to get down to the deflector then I'm burning it all down

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It’s just the Oberth all over again!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
As a person who is enough of a dweeb to be posting here not quite enough of a dweeb to understand the Trek timeline, does that ship design give us clues as to when exactly this takes place compared to other shows?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It looks like a weird Galaxy kitbash. Memory Alpha says it's 2380s, which means immediate post-Voyager, 20 years before Picard.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

isn't there like two rules for starfleet ship design , and one is just dont block the path between the nacelles? Yet this somehow feels like it went out of its way to do so.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

It looks like a weird Galaxy kitbash. Memory Alpha says it's 2380s, which means immediate post-Voyager, 20 years before Picard.

I predict some slapstick comedy where they end up blowing up Romulus

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, one thing I do appreciate about it is that I immediately recognised the design cues and language from the Galaxy family.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It is definitely a ship design of its era, which at this point is refreshing. It's supposed to be a dumb ship of losers so it being an overgrown Oberth kinda fits the vibe. Makes me wonder if the creators actually like... thought about what they were doing. Probably not.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The weird thing for me about Lower Decks is that they’re insisting it’s canon.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So did anyone like... actively want an animated comedy Star Trek?

Like, who asked for this?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Drone posted:

So did anyone like... actively want an animated comedy Star Trek?

I’m quite happy for it to exist. McMahan’s Solar Opposites was good.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Drone posted:

CBS executives who saw Rick & Morty numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's by the TNG Season 8 Twitter guy so I hope it's decent

In other news, I made the mistake of watching TOS: Assignment: Earth last night. I get that this is an aborted pilot for another show retooled to work with TOS but wow, it's bad. Just filled to the brim with Apollo program stock footage to the point where it seemed like every time Scotty showed up on screen it was just to stand next to a screen showing classic NASA footage. Gary Seven is a strange character with minimal backstory that feels like a ripoff of both Doctor Who and James Bond at the same time.