Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I've watched a good amount of TNG over the years, but it was never my favorite show. I never really gave it a completely fair shake, though, since I mostly watched random episodes in syndication or a handful at a time on Netflix here and there.

If I were to start a (re?) watch, where would be an ideal place to begin if I didn't want to deal with long stretches of shaky episodes early on? I'm not a person who can easily sit through a bunch of mediocre episodes in anticipation of it getting better 20 episodes down the line. IIRC the common wisdom is that season 3 is where it really hits its stride so that's my instinct, but is there a decent guide for this, or a place where it might make sense to start? Or am I overblowing how shaky the first couple of seasons are?

e: or should I just watch DS9 from the beginning because I've always been warmer on it but also have a sporadic watch history?

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

DS9 is more consistent throughout

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah, DS9 season 1 is its weakest but it isn't mostly poo poo like TNG's.

TNG you could watch Q Who and Measure of a Man from S2 and then start at 3. Season 2 isn't as bad as the first season but it's still rough. You can always go back, it's not like you can't watch TNG out of order.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Grand Fromage posted:

TNG you could watch Q Who and Measure of a Man from S2 and then start at 3. Season 2 isn't as bad as the first season but it's still rough. You can always go back, it's not like you can't watch TNG out of order.

This is very good advice, but if you want a slightly more extended list, I'd say:

Where No One Has Gone Before
Conspiracy (this one is a classic even if it's a bad episode)
The Neutral Zone (not great but it sets up the Romulans again)
The Measure of a Man
Q Who

Then dive into Season 3, which is probably on the whole the best single season of Trek ever produced.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I was wrong it wasn't there other thread it was this thread lol. A little bit different though

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3781992&pagenumber=1851&perpage=40#post505901117

Eeegads!

It must have been a coincidence I actually just re-subbed to this thread to post it lol

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

feedmyleg posted:

I've watched a good amount of TNG over the years, but it was never my favorite show. I never really gave it a completely fair shake, though, since I mostly watched random episodes in syndication or a handful at a time on Netflix here and there.

If I were to start a (re?) watch, where would be an ideal place to begin if I didn't want to deal with long stretches of shaky episodes early on? I'm not a person who can easily sit through a bunch of mediocre episodes in anticipation of it getting better 20 episodes down the line. IIRC the common wisdom is that season 3 is where it really hits its stride so that's my instinct, but is there a decent guide for this, or a place where it might make sense to start? Or am I overblowing how shaky the first couple of seasons are?

e: or should I just watch DS9 from the beginning because I've always been warmer on it but also have a sporadic watch history?

Nearly at the end of my own TNG "re" watch (in which I've discovered that I probably never even saw half the episodes) I have to say there's really no easy answer. There are good and mediocre episodes sprinkled throughout. Season 1 gets off to a really rough start, but on the whole I would not describe it as significantly worse. It's a different vibe, a little more TOS, and without established characters as an anchor, I guess the bad episodes are less redeemable. But it's also kind of exciting for the same reason. There are a lot of episodes in there that I'd rather watch than any of the "Troi falls in love with some evil diplomat" episodes in later seasons.

It's less good seasons vs. bad seasons, and more Best Episodes vs. Everything Else.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
I'd say Season 3 would be a good starting point.

First 2 Seasons are spottier than rest of the series and you can return to them, if you like the rest of the series enough.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
The secret to appreciating TNG is to know who's a good actor, who's a bad actor and learning to love both for what they are.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I will not have you besmirch the good name of Chief Argyle

Let me tell you about our letter-writing campaign, because we love Chief Arg--

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Pulaski in one season is better than Crusher in 6 seasons combined.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Huh, apparently when Viacom split Paramount and CBS, part of the split agreement was that CBS wouldn't be allowed to make any Star Trek TV show for 10 years through to 2016 to allow Paramount to milk films, which is why Discovery was planned to launch January 2017. It was literally the earliest legal date CBS was allowed to. I never knew that.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

adhuin posted:

Pulaski in one season is better than Crusher in 6 seasons combined.

It's sad when Crusher's most memorable milestone episodes are "Remember Me" (legit v. good) and "Sub Rosa" (extremely bad).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MikeJF posted:

Huh, apparently when Viacom split Paramount and CBS, part of the split agreement was that CBS wouldn't be allowed to make any Star Trek TV show for 10 years through to 2016 to allow Paramount to milk films, which is why Discovery was planned to launch January 2017. It was literally the earliest legal date CBS was allowed to. I never knew that.
First I’ve heard of it

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ohhhh, it looks like it wasn't ten years, it was a buffer time around any Star Trek film by Paramount that CBS weren't allowed to create a series in. The article I saw confused the issue by saying that Jan 2017 was the earliest they were legally allowed to, but that was just around that time period, because of Beyond.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.

The_Doctor posted:

See, to me, this isn’t dark at all. It’s not TNG bright, but it’s hardly dark.

It looks like someone loaded up a colour correction suite, spent $50 on a file called 'MichaelBayFilm.lut', applied it, and then invoiced CBS 6 figures.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I'm so mad I watched season 2 of that loving show

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
It takes a special kind of talent to hamfistedly tease Spock for 3/4ths of a season, deliver him unceremoniously, and then within 2-3 eps make you miss the days when he wasn't on the show.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

See, to me, this isn’t dark at all. It’s not TNG bright, but it’s hardly dark.

I would hate working there. Everything is so Goddamn shiny.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Pastamania posted:

It looks like someone loaded up a colour correction suite, spent $50 on a file called 'MichaelBayFilm.lut', applied it, and then invoiced CBS 6 figures.

Like a lot of Discovery, I think it looks pretty cool and slick but like an extremely unpleasant place to be.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Just loving watch all of the episodes if the good Treks, I mean, my god, you're already watching Star Trek. Just commit.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Even bad good Trek is good bad Trek and sometimes "good" good trek is bad when viewed through the retrospective lens of the Iraq War. Just sit your rear end down and put your eyes on the screen

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

It takes a special kind of talent to hamfistedly tease Spock for 3/4ths of a season, deliver him unceremoniously, and then within 2-3 eps make you miss the days when he wasn't on the show.

:wtc: PeckSpock was one of the best parts of the season

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
we have other threads for discussing Spock's peck

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Alright, started DS9. And... gently caress, I really forgot what it was like to watch a show in SD this sucks I'm so spoiled :negative:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
This peanut in the log of poo poo I'm eating is satisfyingly crunchy

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Season 3 is genuinely good, it holds up against the rest of the show.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine S01E01 & S01E02 Review:

- Big crush on Kira immediately.
- Big crush on Sisko immediately.
- They should kiss.
- v worried about Jake becoming obnoxious.
- This show is very good.

Onto the next episode.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

VOY S4 e23 Living Witness
This episode is so loving good. Bring Robert Picardo back for modern Trek. Doesn't matter which one, he'll improve any of them immediately.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

When I was a teen I never liked Kira and now I'm an adult I love her and her 'I am not getting paid enough to deal with this space-bullshit' attitude.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

feedmyleg posted:

- v worried about Jake becoming obnoxious.

He's not great but I don't think he ever truly hits Wesley Crusher levels of annoying, despite a Wesley-esque amount of screentime. I think this is partially due to the fact that he never aspires to joining Starfleet like every other dumbass kid on a Trek show

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Kira is mostly fine but she's a conduit/window for Bajorian politics and those eps, for the most part, suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

feedmyleg posted:

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine S01E01 & S01E02 Review:

- Big crush on Kira immediately.
- Big crush on Sisko immediately.
- They should kiss.

Fun fact: the actors definitely did in real life for a bit!

Then along comes Siddig

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

HD DAD posted:

Fun fact: the actors definitely did in real life for a bit!

Then along comes Siddig

He has that big Siddig energy.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
or was koenig like staring lustfully at doohan's natural shocker i don't know

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Intel&Sebastian posted:

He's not great but I don't think he ever truly hits Wesley Crusher levels of annoying, despite a Wesley-esque amount of screentime. I think this is partially due to the fact that he never aspires to joining Starfleet like every other dumbass kid on a Trek show

I always liked Jake, it was fun to watch him grow up with the station, none of his plots ever seemed overly forced or annoying. Good character IMO. Him and Ben's relationship over the years was cute.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
moldy old rear end take but since there's newbie DS9 watchers here: Everyone in that show has a more sci-fi/alien sounding name in real life than they do on the show.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
There's also at least one Jake-centric episode that's extremely good which is more than you can say for any other Trek child actor

Edit: Nog doesn't count because his actor wasn't an actual child

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

moldy old rear end take but since there's newbie DS9 watchers here: Everyone in that show has a more sci-fi/alien sounding name in real life than they do on the show.

Actual DS9 cast list:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Sir Lemming posted:

Actual DS9 cast list:

And most of those are just Alexander siddig's real name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I always liked Jake, it was fun to watch him grow up with the station, none of his plots ever seemed overly forced or annoying. Good character IMO. Him and Ben's relationship over the years was cute.

I'm still amused that by like four episodes in, Jake hit a growth spurt and sprang up to about nine feet tall. I bet it got challenging to come up with camera angles that would cover both him and Nog.