Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Caretaker has that bit that looks like it was filmed in a mall

Also something about Neelix or Chakotay almost falling down a stairwell and dying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Also something about Neelix or Chakotay almost falling down a stairwell and dying

If that’s the LA Convention Center, then there’s a likely chance that’s the very escalator Picard rides down after sheer loving hubris.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Don't forget the entire crew using tricorders while a redneck banjoes at them

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I’m pretty sure anyone who says they’d watch Encounter at Farpoint over Emissary thinks Farpoint is all Q stuff. If it was that, fair, but it’s not.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

HD DAD posted:

If that’s the LA Convention Center, then there’s a likely chance that’s the very escalator Picard rides down after sheer loving hubris.

According to Memory Alpha, yes it is the LA Convention Center. The page for the con center specifically doesn't mention anything about Picard though?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I really don’t remember anything about Farpoint aside from the Q bits. I know there’s something about a corrupt governor with a name that starts with Z building his colony on top of the space jellyfish and there’s a whole bunch of scenes where his office shakes itself to pieces but it’s all so loving dull that I can’t be bothered to rewatch it any of the times I’ve done a series rewatch.

How could you forget Groppler Zorn? He's truly one of the defining tragic figures of Next Generation.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Encounter at Farpoint is a full TOS episode. The captain is captured by a godlike alien entity and given a riddle to solve otherwise there will be 'consequences'. The solution to the riddle involves a moral lesson.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

WilWheaton posted:

Emissary is great

I especially love how it sets up the 'find the orbs' quest like its some kind of jrpg

That's so weird. They set up the Cardassians stole all but one orb. Throughout the series one orb is buried on Tyree, one is given to them by the Cardassians as a gesture of good will, and turns out all the other ones they actually did just have lying around the whole time

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Emissary features a man trying to explain linear time to non corporeal aliens who have trapped him in the moment of his wife's tragic death, also there's a brief space battle where the loving floor blows up

DS9 owns

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

John Wick of Dogs posted:

That's so weird. They set up the Cardassians stole all but one orb. Throughout the series one orb is buried on Tyree, one is given to them by the Cardassians as a gesture of good will, and turns out all the other ones they actually did just have lying around the whole time

The Tyree one was the Orb of the Emissary and wasn't one of the known nine orbs, it was just a place for the Sarah prophet to live outside the wormhole so she could reopen the wormhole after the pah-wraiths collapsed it. Nonlinear planning. Of the 9:

- Orb of Change was the one on Bajor at the start
- Orb of Wisdom, the Cardassians sold to Nagus Zek, who then sold it to Bajor
- Orb of Time they returned to Bajor in the Tribble episode
- The Orb of Contemplation was shown in Season 6 but it's never said when that came back.

They do mention a bunch of times that they're negotiating with the Cardassians to get them back, so maybe they succeeded in getting Contemplation at some point. Hell, maybe the Klingons took some Orbs when they occupied Cardassian space and then gave it back when they were on good terms with the Federation.

Anyway we never hear about the other five or if they ever came back.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Aug 12, 2020

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cardassians are idiots handing back the orb of time. That's like the best one.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

To be fair I expect every time they opened the box they just got a 'gently caress you' in prophetese.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Vedek Bariel: Kira look at this orb, it's the orb of sexy vedek dreams

Kira: Well that was something

Vedek Bariel: Did you see me naked? Let's go meditate about this

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Look at this orb.

Uh, it's not an orb. It's more like an hourgla-

FEDERATION INFIDEL!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Look at me! I'm talking on the appearance of your friends and family! Do you find this... SHOCKING? Are you SURPRISED and DISORIENTED?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Farpoint is better in memory than in actual viewing. It's sluggishly paced and does a terrible job introducing most of the characters. It doesn't make you want to see more. If you already like Star Trek you'll find reasons to like it, but it's a tall order.

I wasn't seriously suggesting that "The Naked Now" is better, it's not. When I say "so bad it's good" I still mean it's bad. But it's not quite so boring.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Watched Galaxy Quest for the first time in ages last night. Still rules. Part of me wishes that we got a version with the Trek cast, and it only helps the film that Tim Allen has become incredibly unlikable in real life in the interim so his redemption arc hits harder. Also kinda wish that The Orville was just Galaxy Quest: The Journey Continues.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 12, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Orb of Time seems like something that they would need to keep a tight hold on

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I'm rewatching season 2 on TNG and enjoying it, I'm just over halfway and Where Silence Has Lease, A Matter of Honor, the Measure of a Man, the Royale and Time Squared are all good episodes.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

"This woman has my permishun to use time orb, signed Ben jamming Sisko, the M-issary"

Vedek: Well I don't read Terran very well but this appears to check out

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

putting my plan to partner up with the actual devil on hold to remind kira that i banged her mom

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
“Honestly, Gul, you just don’t put the effort into your schemes that you used to...”

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The furthest back the Cardassians can go is that one time they were drinking in a bar with O'Brien, so they got tired of it.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

tbf, I think dukat had the same drunken late-night conversation with more-or-less everybody in his glittery future rolodex

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

oh but seriously I posted:

putting my plan to partner up with the actual devil on hold to remind kira that i banged her mom

Wasn't he also a loving fugitive at the time?

SlothfulCobra posted:

The furthest back the Cardassians can go is that one time they were drinking in a bar with O'Brien, so they got tired of it.

https://twitter.com/dada78641/status/1179462125636509703?s=19

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

It must smell so bad.

GenSpecific
Aug 17, 2005
IT'S IDEAS LIKE THIS THAT GET PEOPLE KILLED!!!!

Slippery Tilde
I must be the only person to really like Encounter at Farpoint. I mean it is stilted in places and poorly shot, but I think it sets up the long term premise of TNG very well. The trial is really well done and I enjoyed the overall mystery. Going back you could cut out a few things to make it better, but its not an episode I ever skip.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Voyager should've had Chakotay's backstory include that he used to serve in Starfleet on a ship with Janeway. Two command track officers competing for higher rank. Bam, you've instantly got tension and something to talk about in every episode.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Animal-Mother posted:

Voyager should've had Chakotay's backstory include that he used to serve in Starfleet on a ship with Janeway. Two command track officers competing for higher rank. Bam, you've instantly got tension and something to talk about in every episode.

They already had plenty of setup for tension. They just decided not to use it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Picard is such a raging rear end in a top hat to Riker when he gets to the ship. “Oh hey you have been here for 5 minutes, now please execute a manual saucer reintegration because I said so”

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

MikeJF posted:

They already had plenty of setup for tension. They just decided not to use it.

Also sexual tension. They both acted like they were a split second away from boning down with each other.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Orbspeak:

I always like how Kira masters how to use the orb of time at the end of that episode. I know it was meant to be hand-wavey but still, pretty funny: "Captains log, stardat: whatever. Major Kira has returned us to our present time using the orb of time..." and it just shows her closing the box and smiling.

Seems like it may have helped them win the war just a tiny bit.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

You'll find that your average Cardassian soldier wears Type 83 "Zajugek" body armor. It carries the Starfleet reporting name of CART-112 GYM-MAT.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Didn't they retcon those uniforms out completely? In every flashback set during the Occupation on DS9, the Cardassians are wearing the same uniforms they do in the present. (Actually, now that I dredge my memory, I remember some behind-the-scenes material complaining about how the initial Cardassian uniforms were a bastard to put together and they only fit guys like Marc Alaimo who had 0% body fat.)

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

the old cardy uniforms tied in nicely with the ship designs. leather dads + spacefaring egyptian monoliths never quite sat right with me

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Sir Lemming posted:

Farpoint is better in memory than in actual viewing. It's sluggishly paced and does a terrible job introducing most of the characters. It doesn't make you want to see more. If you already like Star Trek you'll find reasons to like it, but it's a tall order.
All the stuff with Q was really interesting, it's just everything else... especially since the episode deals with ANOTHER space god.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Picard is such a raging rear end in a top hat to Riker when he gets to the ship. “Oh hey you have been here for 5 minutes, now please execute a manual saucer reintegration because I said so”

That was clearly a nod to Star Trek II.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

GenSpecific posted:

I must be the only person to really like Encounter at Farpoint. I mean it is stilted in places and poorly shot, but I think it sets up the long term premise of TNG very well. The trial is really well done and I enjoyed the overall mystery. Going back you could cut out a few things to make it better, but its not an episode I ever skip.

I wouldn't say I love it, but I also thought Farpoint was a decent episode and sets up TNG quite nicely. Sure it's janky, but that's not exactly uncommon with pilots.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

jeeves posted:

Orbspeak:

I always like how Kira masters how to use the orb of time at the end of that episode. I know it was meant to be hand-wavey but still, pretty funny: "Captains log, stardat: whatever. Major Kira has returned us to our present time using the orb of time..." and it just shows her closing the box and smiling.

Seems like it may have helped them win the war just a tiny bit.

Well, Orb visions are caused by the Prophets, who aren't necessarily concerned with corporeal beings and their "wars". Maybe if the Sisko asked nicely.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

MikeJF posted:

To be fair I expect every time they opened the box they just got a 'gently caress you' in prophetese.

Every time you open the box you go forward in time and experience your own death.

... Or a really boring meeting from your past. Or that really embarrassing thing that happened in highschool.