Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

How is he at ambo jitsu though? Surely it takes experience to master the ultimate evolution of martial arts.

Terrible, because he can never have the heart of a warrior, which is the most important thing that an ambo jitsu master must have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Halfway through season 7 of TNG and I'm struck by how many Big Meme Moments are from this last season. Captain Picard Day, Troi cake, bug-eyed disheveled alternate reality Captain Riker, sex candle ghost, "Data's painting is making me dizzy"...

knox
Oct 28, 2004

This Chief O'Brien as Donnie Brasco episode came out of left field.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

knox posted:

This Chief O'Brien as Donnie Brasco episode came out of left field.

They put O'Brien through so much suffering they had to devise new varieties for him.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Remember when Nog was stealing stuff all over the station going on a bigGoron trading quest all the while using O’Brien’s confirmation code for everything he did? And he never suffered any consequences for it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

McSpanky posted:

Reebok, a warrior's sneaker

Warriors recognize the utility of VEL-KRO!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Brawnfire posted:

These Birkenstocks are without honor!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nitrousoxide posted:

Remember when Nog was stealing stuff all over the station going on a bigGoron trading quest all the while using O’Brien’s confirmation code for everything he did? And he never suffered any consequences for it.

He's O'brien's superior officer!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Brawnfire posted:

V'l'kroH

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

John Wick of Dogs posted:

He's O'brien's superior officer!

Harry Kim gets passed up for promotion and just thinks "Well at least I'm not Chief O'Brien"

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Nitrousoxide posted:

He managed to get 3 different ships the parts they needed, and all it took was some casks of Martok's bloodwine (which he replaced with a better vintage) and the loaning of Sisko's desk. I'd call that a job well done.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
troi just turned into a goddamn frog

what the hell

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

a neat cape posted:

troi just turned into a goddamn frog

what the hell

TNG SEASON SEVEN!

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Everytime i wish there was more TNG, season seven reminds me the well had run dry.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Axe-man posted:

Everytime i wish there was more TNG, season seven reminds me the well had run dry.

The garbage episodes were really garbage, the the season as a whole still stands up. Pegasus, Parallels, Preemptive Strike, Thine Own Self, Eye of the Beholder, and Lower Decks are all real good episodes.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Masks.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Just watched the one with Harry getting lured to the succubus planet. Dude can't catch a break. Also, Voyager bad.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Masks was kinda stupid but I'm glad they went for it, the TNG crew really doesn't get thrown outside their comfort zone often enough

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Season 7's 'Emergence' could have been so much more interesting and thought-provoking if they'd gone all-in on "the Enterprise's computer gains sentience" (like a Trek version of 'The Doctor's Wife' with the Enterprise becoming an actual character like the TARDIS for an episode), but they just used it as an excuse for weirdness on the holodeck and then hit the reset button at the end. Welp.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Payndz posted:

Season 7's 'Emergence' could have been so much more interesting and thought-provoking if they'd gone all-in on "the Enterprise's computer gains sentience" (like a Trek version of 'The Doctor's Wife' with the Enterprise becoming an actual character like the TARDIS for an episode), but they just used it as an excuse for weirdness on the holodeck and then hit the reset button at the end. Welp.

Don't worry I'm pretty sure there's a story in a comic or novel where the computer does indeed gain sentience and keep it because actually the computer is inhabited by the consciousness of Number One/Una which is why they sound similar *please ignore Lwaxana Troi also sounding similar* :v:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Angry_Ed posted:

Don't worry I'm pretty sure there's a story in a comic or novel where the computer does indeed gain sentience and keep it because actually the computer is inhabited by the consciousness of Number One/Una which is why they sound similar *please ignore Lwaxana Troi also sounding similar* :v:

If I recall that does happen in New Frontier but that's not the explanation for why all the computers sound the same, the explanation in that is just that Una helped develop the Starfleet voice heuristics back in the 23rd century and trained its speech.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

If I recall that does happen in New Frontier but that's not the explanation for why all the computers sound the same, the explanation in that is just that Una helped develop the Starfleet voice heuristics back in the 23rd century and trained its speech.

Specifically this is the "version" (since EU-Trek Canon is disjointed) of Una known as Morgan Primus (and is the mother of Robin Lefler :shrug:) who was born immortal but dies somehow and is imprinted onto the Excalibur's computer and then everyone is like "huh they always did sound similar"

It's kinda goofy, but to be fair it's basically a running joke in that series that Morgan Primus is either related to or is all of the Majel Barret characters.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I am dubbing season 7 of TNG the season of long lost family members

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

a neat cape posted:

I am dubbing season 7 of TNG the season of long lost family members

I remember seeing one of the writers say that when they had Geordi's mother show up was when they knew for sure they'd run dry and needed to wrap it up.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

MikeJF posted:

I remember seeing one of the writers say that when they had Geordi's mother show up was when they knew for sure they'd run dry and needed to wrap it up.

Weren't they also working on the movies and Voyager at the same time by this point?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Nitrousoxide posted:

There should have been a scene were Odo shapeshifts out of nowhere while Nog is carrying something across a cargo bay
"Aha! Now I got you and your uncle Quark!"
*Nog waves padd*
*Odo cries*

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MikeJF posted:

Yes and even worse, it wasn’t actually her

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

a neat cape posted:

Weren't they also working on the movies and Voyager at the same time by this point?

Yep. They were super stretched thin during season 7 with Generations and Voyager pre-production. In many ways, season 7 is Voyager season 0.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Payndz posted:

If they actually knew what they were doing with Picard, that's the sort of thing they'd follow up on.

Angry_Ed posted:

There was a plotline in some of the early TOS novels where the Enterprise's rec room AI becomes sentient and becomes a behind-the-scenes advisor. If I recall the way the subplot ended, Kirk decides to keep it secret at her request and gives her alias a raise (this was before they'd codified the Federation as Moneyless Space Communism).

Axe-man posted:

Yeah, honestly as ridiculous as TNG Season 8 (both the Twitter account & later the book) got, it really feels like a mild exaggeration of what the writers would do when they were really out of ideas.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I have one episode of TNG left. All Good Things.

I kind of don't want it to be over.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

a neat cape posted:

Ah, but you know how the saying goes.

"Nothing gold can stay"

Wait

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

a neat cape posted:

After the slog of most of S7, All Good Things is a legit treasure.

It’s honestly the movie that should have been made instead of fukken Generations. Which is crazy since the episode was made in a rush DUE to the movie.

That episode rocks and I choose to believe no other media after it exists for the TNG era crew.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Generations is great, gently caress the haters

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Generations is great, gently caress the haters

Malcom McDowell is fun but its poo poo, OP. poo poo from an rear end.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's still the best TNG movie.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Die Hard in a Borg Cube and the Insurrection commentary track are better :colbert:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

TNG already did die hard better in "Starship Mine."

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Janeway Punches a Virus in the Face is the Hardest Trek

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Royal Updog posted:

Malcom McDowell is fun but its poo poo, OP. poo poo from an rear end.

Noooope. It’s gorgeous, the score is fantastic, and Picard having to contemplate his legacy and mortality is far more interesting than anything in Fun Brainless Action Movie, Mediocre Two-Parter, or Let’s Torture Tom Hardy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Noooope. It’s gorgeous, the score is fantastic, and Picard having to contemplate his legacy and mortality is far more interesting than anything in Fun Brainless Action Movie, Mediocre Two-Parter, or Let’s Torture Tom Hardy.

I think you're WRONG ABOUT STAR TREK. I'LL FUKKEN SAY IT