Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

TOS does feel a bit rougher than even some of the other stuff on TV around the same time.

Bewitched, for example, doesn't seem as dated from a production standpoint. The stories, yes. But some of the stuff in that show is like movie grade special effects and makes TOS look like two guys in someone's basement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

TOS created the formula of professionals in the future encountering weird rear end poo poo and opening with hailing frequencies instead of phaser fire, TNG just perfected it

TOS has lots of cringey moments but it makes it up with really good characters and plots, and I love it when they reference this period as having an old school raygun aesthetic i wish they did it more

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The oldschool Twilight Zone/raygun thing coupled with its minimalist aesthetic makes it such a unique show. You could say 50 minutes is too long, and I'd say TAS' 25 minutes are just a bit too short to let it breathe and we can meet in the middle. I lean toward the former, but growing up on it helps.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

TAS is an underrated show, but its episodes feel abbreviated, like they were afraid to follow the plot too deeply. Some TOS episodes are worse for ridiculous filler (The Mark of Gideon is an example) than others.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Winifred Madgers posted:

The oldschool Twilight Zone/raygun thing coupled with its minimalist aesthetic makes it such a unique show. You could say 50 minutes is too long, and I'd say TAS' 25 minutes are just a bit too short to let it breathe and we can meet in the middle. I lean toward the former, but growing up on it helps.

There’s something so timeless about that aesthetic and I wish there was more Forbidden Planet-esque poo poo being made.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

HD DAD posted:

There’s something so timeless about that aesthetic and I wish there was more Forbidden Planet-esque poo poo being made.

Worf could loving annihilate Chewbacca.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Tiberius Christ posted:

TOS created the formula of professionals in the future encountering weird rear end poo poo and opening with hailing frequencies instead of phaser fire, TNG just perfected it

TOS has lots of cringey moments but it makes it up with really good characters and plots, and I love it when they reference this period as having an old school raygun aesthetic i wish they did it more

:hmmyes: Every good Trek show acknowledging that yes that is what the original Constitution bridge looked like is cool and good. Prodigy has yet to do so, but given we got actual Uhura and Spcok I am confident that we will get the actual bridge. :colbert:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I doubt we'll see the original bridge, there'll almost certainly be a production-wide mandate to use the new looks for any full-blown flashbacks or the like.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 16, 2022

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

TAS is an underrated show, but its episodes feel abbreviated, like they were afraid to follow the plot too deeply. Some TOS episodes are worse for ridiculous filler (The Mark of Gideon is an example) than others.

Beyond the Farthest Star is an incredible episode of Trek, animated or otherwise.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

That DICK! posted:

Worf could loving annihilate Chewbacca.

I cannot defeat this wookie, I can only kill him.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

MikeJF posted:

I doubt we'll see the original bridge, there'll almost certainly be a production-wide mandate to use the new looks for any full-blown flashbacks or the like.

Probably so, which is a damned shame. I hate whoever redesigned the bridge, it's now generic modern scicrap. Especially when I thought In a Mirror Darkly already did a great job of modernizing it but keeping all the bright colors and mechanical elements.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Penitent posted:

I cannot defeat this wookie, I can only kill him.

This is such a cool line, even if it does sound like a line cut from Rocky IV.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Eimi posted:

Probably so, which is a damned shame. I hate whoever redesigned the bridge, it's now generic modern scicrap. Especially when I thought In a Mirror Darkly already did a great job of modernizing it but keeping all the bright colors and mechanical elements.

It’s absolutely amazing how Enterprise made the TOS aesthetic actually feel futuristic relative to the show’s setting.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Penitent posted:

Beyond the Farthest Star is an incredible episode of Trek, animated or otherwise.

I don't remember this one and will have to remedy the situation by watching some TAS this afternoon.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

HD DAD posted:

It’s absolutely amazing how Enterprise made the TOS aesthetic actually feel futuristic relative to the show’s setting.

It also makes sense in a "sufficiently advanced technology" way. You'd expect everything to look more magical over time.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

A lot of those third season episodes are just dire. I honestly think The Lights of Zetar is harder to watch than Turnabout Intruder, because while at least Turnabout has Shatner dialed up to 11, Zetar is just a mind-numbingly dull slog.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

A lot of those third season episodes are just dire. I honestly think The Lights of Zetar is harder to watch than Turnabout Intruder, because while at least Turnabout has Shatner dialed up to 11, Zetar is just a mind-numbingly dull slog.

I agree. That one is so weird because I'm not even sure what the 'moral' is supposed to be. It's a completely pointless 50 minutes.

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

As far as Star trek episodes go:

Batshit > Cerebral > Action > Boring > Offensive

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

HD DAD posted:

I think a lot of that had to do with the writing, acting, and direction really selling the idea that it was highly futuristic more than anything else

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I think a lot of that had to do with the writing, acting, and direction really selling the idea that it was highly futuristic more than anything else

It helped that the vulcans were the affluent neighbor kid down the street that had a Genesis, an SNES, and a Playstation while the humans still thought their NES was cool.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

As recommended here, and because it was still in Netflix, I just watched couple of episodes of TAS for the first time ever, and actually liked them. The animation is what it is but overall they seem to be nice little episodes and with 23 min length they do not worn out their welcome even if the premise is a bit shaky.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Penitent posted:

It helped that the vulcans were the affluent neighbor kid down the street that had a Genesis, an SNES, and a Playstation while the humans still thought their NES was cool.

The rich kid with the NeoGeo who never let you play it.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Drone posted:

"Humankind is not ready for the 100 MEGA SHOCK"

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Drone posted:

I mean considering the vulcan circular warp drive design that apparently never caught on, this comment makes a surprising amount of sense.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

'Zetar' is one of my guilty pleasure episodes, because while there's an awful lot wrong with it, it has some genuinely creepy moments.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Penitent posted:

I mean considering the vulcan circular warp drive design that apparently never caught on, this comment makes a surprising amount of sense.

It appeals to me that no one using the rings making it seem like it isn't as good as the twin nacelles. Like there's something about the Vulcans being too hung up on logic and such that they're bad innovators.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Sash! posted:

It appeals to me that no one using the rings making it seem like it isn't as good as the twin nacelles. Like there's something about the Vulcans being too hung up on logic and such that they're bad innovators.

I bet the ring setup is more stable and efficient which is a logical tradeoff for a slight decrease in performance.

Meanwhile the human dominated Starfleet is all "Engines go FAST and we can PROBABLY fix it if explode??"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Penitent posted:

My friend had SNES but even when I went over to play with him his dad would be camped out at the TV playing Desert Strike so gently caress us

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Brawnfire posted:

My friend had SNES but even when I went over to play with him his dad would be camped out at the TV playing Desert Strike so gently caress us

I got to experience peak childhood humiliation when my friends and I were told we could rent two SNES games for a friend's birthday party.

I actively lobbied for Desert Strike and everyone else chose Mortal Kombat.

Guess which game didn't get played at all that evening.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Penitent posted:

I got to experience peak childhood humiliation when my friends and I were told we could rent two SNES games for a friend's birthday party.

I actively lobbied for Desert Strike and everyone else chose Mortal Kombat.

Guess which game didn't get played at all that evening.

Joke's kind of on them though, the SNES Mortal Kombat was the gimped to hell PG version :v:

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Angry_Ed posted:

Joke's kind of on them though, the SNES Mortal Kombat was the gimped to hell PG version :v:

To bring this back around, the SNES version of the TNG tie-in game is pretty well accepted to be inferior to the Genesis version due to it's lack of polish and broken difficulty.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Drink-Mix Man posted:

"It helps when the show is actually good" is a fine gotcha but not the one you seemed to be aiming for.

At this point I wouldn't trust (non-LD) modern trek to get TOS right even if they tried

gormless goblin
Sep 16, 2021

McSpanky posted:

That's because you're Actually Wrong, that's what being misaligned with reality feels like
"A fraction of a second would make them invisible?"

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Penitent posted:

To bring this back around, the SNES version of the TNG tie-in game is pretty well accepted to be inferior to the Genesis version due to it's lack of polish and broken difficulty.

Are the console versions the same story as the PC version, or are they their own thing? I know the gameplay is very different at least, and that they both have an enemy species called the CHODAK which is just a weirdly fun word to say.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Drone posted:

Are the console versions the same story as the PC version, or are they their own thing? I know the gameplay is very different at least, and that they both have an enemy species called the CHODAK which is just a weirdly fun word to say.

I owned and played through the Genesis version growing up and a friend has the SNES version. From what I remember, it appeared that the story followed mostly the same beats. The differences were that SNES version had an extremely difficult hostage rescue mission added that involved those pesky CHODAK and the Genesis version had a more complete ending. There also appeared to be significant differences in the art assets between all versions.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Penitent posted:

Is that the one where you had to reroute power to systems in mid-combat and so were you almost always killed?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Pictured: a Chodak

lmao this owns, they should bring these guys back in Lower Decks

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
The Chodak showed up in a bunch of Microprose's games - they also showed up in the Star Trek Generations game, and your empire could sometimes be attacked by them in the Birth of the Federation strategy game.

In a time where we've finally seen Cetacean Ops and had a live-action reference to the Kzinti, I think we deserve a return of the Chodak!

EDIT: OMG, I forgot they lived in little floating pods!

Angry Salami fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jan 17, 2022

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

gormless goblin posted:

This whole sensibility gets completely thrown off when Picard goes into a holodeck and the Constitution bridge is there looking like its all plaster and Benjamin Sisko literally goes back in time and picks up a ray gun :pwn: lmao

It's just set in a decade with a very strong visual identity, like the 70s or 80s. I also like to think of how weird our computers and GUI design looked in the very late 90s (iMac G3, round glassy buttons everywhere, cyan).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

See also: Dax raving about the plush pleather and platinum highlights on the old 23rd century gear.