Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Worf posted:

Actually yeah I mean changing an iconic thing to make it your own is basically the definition of ego driven

It’s also something plenty of Trek designers have done in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s also something plenty of Trek designers have done in the past.

Agreed and they are guilty of it as well

I'm all for anyone providing multiple examples of other people doing the same thing, it just points more to the same exact mechanism lol

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I'm not thrilled with how SNW seems to have duplicated and modernized the same old TOS/TNG arguments in this thread

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

CPColin posted:

I'm not thrilled with how SNW seems to have duplicated and modernized the same old TOS/TNG arguments in this thread

Well if they are going to retread some of the same mechanisms it does seem only logical for some of the same conversations to happen

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I really can't imagine getting mad about any of this stuff, the costumes are slightly different so what just relax it's a TV show

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah, how dare someone working on Star Trek have the sheer loving hubris to put their own stamp on a 40 year old design.

It’s definitely pure ego driven exclusively by hate and spite for old purist fans who love to complain about every single new thing anyway and not, I dunno, enthusiasm for a cultural icon and the chance to work on and contribute to it.

I'm not saying she hates fans and is doing it out if spite. I believe she just doesn't think fans care, will love her awesome new designs, and this will help her cache in the industry and give her more jobs in the future. Maybe it's not ego driven; maybe she just thinks "Oh, this uniform is boring and dated, let me spice it up, that'll be fun."

The people working on Trials and Tribbelations, Flashback, and the S7 TNG costumers who had to use the Thiess S1 designs in All Good Things didn't seem to feel the need to "contribute" by changing things up and putting their own stamp on it.

If you want to out your own stamp on it, do that on the other costumes on SNW. Go work on DISCO or Picard. Hell, DISCO had 8 or so new uniforms from hundreds of years on the various Tals. They had one uniform that appeared in just one episode (S3 finale).

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

No Dignity posted:

I really can't imagine getting mad about any of this stuff, the costumes are slightly different so what just relax it's a TV show

NO!!

NOOOOO!!

*breaks little ships*

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Astroman posted:

I'm not saying she hates fans and is doing it out if spite. I believe she just doesn't think fans care, will love her awesome new designs, and this will help her cache in the industry and give her more jobs in the future. Maybe it's not ego driven; maybe she just thinks "Oh, this uniform is boring and dated, let me spice it up, that'll be fun."

The people working on Trials and Tribbelations, Flashback, and the S7 TNG costumers who had to use the Thiess S1 designs in All Good Things didn't seem to feel the need to "contribute" by changing things up and putting their own stamp on it.

If you want to out your own stamp on it, do that on the other costumes on SNW. Go work on DISCO or Picard. Hell, DISCO had 8 or so new uniforms from hundreds of years on the various Tals. They had one uniform that appeared in just one episode (S3 finale).

I thought you made some good points about the retrospective episodes

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Astroman posted:

In the TOS era there's also plenty of new stuff to make up. We have never been to Tellar in any era of Trek, it's entirely new, it could be the big thing you make. We barely saw Andor. Hell Vulcan, while having an aesthetic, is still mostly unknown. Those are three major Federation players just ripe for stuff to do design wise.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

CPColin posted:

Like a poor marskman, they keep missing the target

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

davidspackage posted:

NO!!

NOOOOO!!

*breaks little ships*

They recast entire shows, we fall back
They erase continuity, we fall back
The fandom must be protected here.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Mooseontheloose posted:

They recast entire shows, we fall back
They erase continuity, we fall back
The fandom must be protected here.

And I will pay for what they've done! *gets Paramount+*

*not really

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

No Dignity posted:

Odo smiles like three times throughout the show and one of them is revealing his trap card when Worf comes complaining

Odo always smiles like when you see a person you know at a grocery store but don't want to engage in conversation

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I like the way that Strange New Worlds looks. Its futuristic retro design looks good to me with read outs but also still physical buttons and poo poo. Also the new costumes etc.. all look good to me.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Yeah it owns. Imagine if they just put everybody in the stretched-out sweaters from The Cage.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

CPColin posted:

Yeah it owns. Imagine if they just put everybody in the stretched-out sweaters from The Cage.

That would rule.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

It seems aggressively racist to ban romulan ale

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Given how a lot of modern Trek has seemed to go (with the exception of SNW), I'm not sure I'd even want a DS9 revival or Sisko show. Modern TV has a tendency to have a long winded explanation for every single vaguely mysterious thing (for Trek, it's usually 'Section 31 did it'). I just think that a return to DS9 would ruin some of the intrigue of the original show with hacky overexplanations and bad writing.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Given how a lot of modern Trek has seemed to go (with the exception of SNW), I'm not sure I'd even want a DS9 revival or Sisko show. Modern TV has a tendency to have a long winded explanation for every single vaguely mysterious thing (for Trek, it's usually 'Section 31 did it'). I just think that a return to DS9 would ruin some of the intrigue of the original show with hacky overexplanations and bad writing.

There is no way they'd have some with the DS9 writer's room politics in 2022. And it seems brands tend to control their image much more these days instead of just letting one shot get away with murder. I can't imagine them ever being allowed to make something like Bar Association today.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The OG writers' pitch for a DS9 season 8 in their documentary proves it's done and can never come back in a good way.

From the clips I've seen, SNW looks good. My mantra it seems for the past decade has been "it isn't that they changed something, it's that their change looks like poo poo." With SNW, everything looks like Star Trek as my eyes glide over it, you can see where they've started with or kept original shapes and colours and expanded on them in sensible ways to make an updated look. It doesn't look cheap and hacked together like Picard or nonsensical and just ugly like Discovery.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Tighclops posted:

The OG writers' pitch for a DS9 season 8 in their documentary proves it's done and can never come back in a good way.

From the clips I've seen, SNW looks good. My mantra it seems for the past decade has been "it isn't that they changed something, it's that their change looks like poo poo." With SNW, everything looks like Star Trek as my eyes glide over it, you can see where they've started with or kept original shapes and colours and expanded on them in sensible ways to make an updated look. It doesn't look cheap and hacked together like Picard or nonsensical and just ugly like Discovery.

Aside from just doing everything digitally and how the Enterprise moves, if this was a sequel to TNG the only complaint I'd have would be the shiny floors. It's that it's trying to be TOS that my complaints stem from. It looks good over all and like Star Trek.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

im glad ds9 is done so they cant do weird poo poo to it that i dont wanna see

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I've only seen the pilot of SNW and parts of the Balance of Terror episode, and I'm pretty satisfied with that show. The only somewhat minor criticism I have is that in the Balance of Terror episode, it seems like the have a lot of the same dialogue and situations from the TOS episode, just with Pike in charge instead of Kirk. It's cool to see Pike respond differently to that scenario, but having some of the same "You and I are of a kind. In another reality we would have been friends" seems improbable to me.

But again, I haven't seen the whole thing and I trust SNW a lot more than I would Discovery or Picard (whose second season seems like a hot mess) to connect things together in a cool and non prequel-y way.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Shran is such a good character. Writing a recurring role for Combs should be mandatory for Trek.

Watching the Romulan marauder arc right now. Are the Romulan scenes filmed in some weird camera style? They look like a soap opera.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

davidspackage posted:

And I will pay for what they've done! *gets Paramount+*

*not really

Paramount+ is worth it if you have children, the Nickelodeon library is so worth it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Worf posted:

It seems aggressively racist to ban romulan ale

Yup, it's Cuban cigars.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I like the way that Strange New Worlds looks. Its futuristic retro design looks good to me with read outs but also still physical buttons and poo poo. Also the new costumes etc.. all look good to me.

Yeah, to me, the important thing is "could/would Trek have looked like this back then if they had the money and the technology?" Disco didn't really hit that, SNW mostly does. I actually really liked the update of the WoK uniform because it was both loyal to the original design and also incorporated the advancements in the SNW uniforms. It worked for me.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The only somewhat minor criticism I have is that in the Balance of Terror episode, it seems like the have a lot of the same dialogue and situations from the TOS episode, just with Pike in charge instead of Kirk. It's cool to see Pike respond differently to that scenario, but having some of the same "You and I are of a kind. In another reality we would have been friends" seems improbable to me.

The dialogue being identical is just a fun TV conceit, but I was fully on board with the situations being similar, because it reinforces the point that humans and Romulans are as a whole more similar than they're going to let themselves believe. It shows that the Romulan commander and Kirk weren't uniquely similar men in opposing positions in "Balance of Terror," but that the Romulans come out, run into a different Federation captain, and even though Pike's answer to the situation leads to a worse outcome than Kirk's, they still have that "huh, there are things to respect and maybe even like about this human, who'd've thought?" reaction. I appreciate that.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

disaster pastor posted:

Yeah, to me, the important thing is "could/would Trek have looked like this back then if they had the money and the technology?" Disco didn't really hit that, SNW mostly does. I actually really liked the update of the WoK uniform because it was both loyal to the original design and also incorporated the advancements in the SNW uniforms. It worked for me.

It’s more or less the same uniform with a few key changes.

- the shoulder details
- a tighter modern fit
- longer shoulder strap thing for the front panel
- straight-fit pants with red piping that go completely into taller boots instead of the bloused mustard-piped look of the original (almost certainly a budget-conscious reuse of the standard Disco/SNW pants)

I thought it looked great tbh but :shrug:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Worf posted:

im glad ds9 is done so they cant do weird poo poo to it that i dont wanna see

Don't worry, they won't even give DS9 an AI-trained upscaling pass, nobody at CBSParamount cares.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

disaster pastor posted:

It doesn't work for me because you can tell that it's patched up with aftermarket details and not someone's original take on the idea, which is really what 95% of the Disco-SNW aesthetic is like. Of course, I don't want an original take on something that is essentially an historical artifact like the uniforms and ships from World War II so I fully admit that there is nothing they can do to make me happy.

Well, there is one thing, but apparently nerds thing it would go over terribly despite falling in love with it every time it happened in a tribute episode in the other series :shrug:

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Only Pike related Trek that I care about is this random poster of The Cage that I bought like 5 years ago and love way more than anything NuTrek has made in the same amount of time.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I love Star Trek and I know I don’t post in here very much.

I just wanted to say Star Trek was a big deal when I was a kid in the 70s, and neighborhood kids would gather at one house to watch the syndication-rerun of episodes back then.

And with the JJ Trek, Karl Urban’s performance is supreme. I love how he looks *kinda* like him, but oh man, it’s the voice and delivery.

Urban nailed this like nobody else nailed theirs (and I’m fine with JJTrek casting overall)

But Urban is just 100%

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I don't think anyone ever complained about the casting in JJTrek. Especially Urban, who was loving several tiers of actor far above everyone else in it. edit - Check out his Judge Dredd film if you have not. He fukken kills it as that character.

Most complaints about JJTrek are due the story (or lack of), Star Warification of effects, either Apple store or beer brewery-sets, and general retconning of the storied and long career of James T. Kirk suddenly becoming a preordained wild weekend. And that's even before you got into the lolz of how terrible the Into Darkness sequel was.

Also dat lens flare.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 15, 2022

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s more or less the same uniform with a few key changes.

- the shoulder details
- a tighter modern fit
- longer shoulder strap thing for the front panel
- straight-fit pants with red piping that go completely into taller boots instead of the bloused mustard-piped look of the original (almost certainly a budget-conscious reuse of the standard Disco/SNW pants)

I thought it looked great tbh but :shrug:

I honestly didn't really notice a difference between the old and new TWoK uniforms. I was happy to see they managed to give him the shirt with the weird collar.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

jeeves posted:

I don't think anyone ever complained about the casting in JJTrek.

I've never liked Zachary Quinto's performance as Spock. I think he got cast mostly because Heroes was big and he kinda, sorta, if you squint really hard maybe almost has a resemblance to Nimoy. He and Pine's Kirk have zero chemistry.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Quinto is miscast, just never has the right read on Spock and neither do the scripts to be fair. They fail to make Spock cool

The rest of them are ok

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

skasion posted:

Quinto is miscast, just never has the right read on Spock and neither do the scripts to be fair. They fail to make Spock cool

The rest of them are ok

I maintain it's a script issue because the JJ one's all revolve around Spock getting angry and punching someone. I feel he does a much better job in Beyond. But also I love that film so, I do admit I am biased.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

8one6 posted:

I honestly didn't really notice a difference between the old and new TWoK uniforms. I was happy to see they managed to give him the shirt with the weird collar.

I'll always maintain that the worst version of the Wrath uniform is the one they used on TNG with the missing turtlenecks and then-modern combadges. The SNW version is miles better than that, even if I could maybe do without the delta pattern on the shoulders

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The cast of JJtrek is perfectly fine. Quinto though does not act like Spock at all though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Delsaber posted:

I'll always maintain that the worst version of the Wrath uniform is the one they used on TNG with the missing turtlenecks and then-modern combadges. The SNW version is miles better than that, even if I could maybe do without the delta pattern on the shoulders

I heard the turtlenecks' fabrics all crumbled or something, which is why TNG never used them. Sounds about from the notoriously 'frugal' franchise.