Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Trek Youtuber Steve Shives, and your mileage may vary on him, had a pretty good re-write for his own take on an ending for Enterprise that I enjoyed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3ZpSkCOrLk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

lol so apparently Spock returning in ST III was supposed to be a secret

and it got leaked at the very start of shooting

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

thanks gene :argh:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gene definitely leaked the destruction of the Enterprise, because the script was traced back to him (just as he leaked Spock's death in WoK). I think what leaked was Bennett's early story outline for the movie and I don't think it was ever conclusively tracked to Gene.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's a lot of neat stuff in The Final Frontier, but the movie doesn't dwell on any of it long enough to make a difference (the truce planet that was abandoned and became a hellhole, Vulcan psychic powers having near-messianic potential if they embrace their emotions instead of rejecting them, all these new character discoveries, galactic barrier? Floating head alien?). Which is the opposite problem from The Motion Picture where they spend a whole lot of time on just one or two things so it feels like nothing is happening. And then there's a lot of neat things that never really get touched on again in the franchise.

nine-gear crow posted:

tl;dr for These Are The Voyages if you really want to know: They save Shran's kid, she's in the same place they went to in the first episode in order to make the show circular. Trip electrocutes himself and dies for... reasons, and then the bring him back in the novel continuations of the show by literally going "that was dumb and pissed everyone off, it didn't happen." And it turns out that the episode is actually happening during the middle of The Pegasus from TNG, and Riker watching Trip kill himself on the holodeck inspires him to stand up to Pressman and reveal the illegal cloaking device to Picard. The final scene is Archer going to sign the Federation Charter, as glimpsed in Azati Prime, though Riker goes "End program" before Archer even signs it. The end. They also make a joke that Riker was Chef.

These truly ARE the voyages...

I think in the episode it's implied that Riker kept pausing the program, leaving to do other stuff, and coming back days later. Which is also how it makes sense that in an episode of Lower Decks, Riker comes back right after watching Enterprise in the Holodeck.

There was also a long-running thing in Enterprise where throughout the series the characters constantly talked about and referenced the chef, to the point that he actually seemed like more of a character than Travis or Malcolm without ever showing up onscreen. So it's bonkers for Riker to just show up as the chef.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I mean, the destruction of the Enterprise was in the trailer

https://youtu.be/aCgWzlxnqhc

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
The random decon gel scenes make a lot more sense when you realize Enterprise is just the plot of a holosuite novel that Riker forgets to turn off.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bull3964 posted:

I mean, the destruction of the Enterprise was in the trailer

https://youtu.be/aCgWzlxnqhc

Yep. Harve Bennett made that call after Roddenberry leaked it. He figured, "Well, the toothpaste is out of the tube, might as well show our big effects scene in our marketing."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Burning_Monk posted:

The random decon gel scenes make a lot more sense when you realize Enterprise is just the plot of a holosuite novel that Riker forgets to turn off.

Some crazy fucker with too much time on their hands needs to go back and edit Riker into every episode of Enterprise now. Just have him in the background once an episode, mildly out of focus, but enough so that you just know it's him when you see him.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

nine-gear crow posted:

Some crazy fucker with too much time on their hands needs to go back and edit Riker into every episode of Enterprise now. Just have him in the background once an episode, mildly out of focus, but enough so that you just know it's him when you see him.

The scene in The Catwalk where you see Chef’s feet, but now with a trombone swinging by them.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

tl;dr for These Are The Voyages if you really want to know: They save Shran's kid, she's in the same place they went to in the first episode in order to make the show circular. Trip electrocutes himself and dies for... reasons, and then the bring him back in the novel continuations of the show by literally going "that was dumb and pissed everyone off, it didn't happen." And it turns out that the episode is actually happening during the middle of The Pegasus from TNG, and Riker watching Trip kill himself on the holodeck inspires him to stand up to Pressman and reveal the illegal cloaking device to Picard. The final scene is Archer going to sign the Federation Charter, as glimpsed in Azati Prime, though Riker goes "End program" before Archer even signs it. The end. They also make a joke that Riker was Chef.

These truly ARE the voyages...

Also Archer is about to make one of the greatest speeches of all time, like the Gettysburg Address of the 22nd century, and they just cut.

So great the writers couldn't write it...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Well they shouldn't have named it that then

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The best thing about Star Trek 3 besides the Romulan Bird of Prey is the recent joke about making a sequel to Space Balls called "Space Balls 3: the Search for Space Balls 2".

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Astroman posted:

Also Archer is about to make one of the greatest speeches of all time, like the Gettysburg Address of the 22nd century, and they just cut.

So great the writers couldn't write it...
As much as I hate the final episode, I'd take that approach over the usual montage of the speaker, audio fragments and an astounded audience that is used to convey 'Dude is real good with words'.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Giving my Dad the "only the important/good episodes of DS9" watch and we just finished the Dominion War arc and while he admits the show is better written than it was in the first three seasons (and Sisko, who he really disliked the first three seasons, almost became a new character at season 5). He does still remark that it "feels written for twelve year olds", and I think he's been exposed to "Prestige TV" move from The Sopranos and Breaking Bad onward that shows from the 80s-90s strike him as MCU-style fodder intended for people 15 and under. Shows from 25 years ago are in a very different cultural place than shows today, after all.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SuperTeeJay posted:

As much as I hate the final episode, I'd take that approach over the usual montage of the speaker, audio fragments and an astounded audience that is used to convey 'Dude is real good with words'.

they could have just hired some real speechwriters

maybe get some of the speechwriters for that up and coming charismatic politician (and trek fan) who just won a senate seat, barack obama

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SuperTeeJay posted:

Berman and Braga probably figured they couldn't top the Archer Speech written by Manny Coto for Terra Prime one episode earlier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yus3e107X3Y

Which is a really drat good speech and a nice way to end a series.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

Giving my Dad the "only the important/good episodes of DS9" watch and we just finished the Dominion War arc and while he admits the show is better written than it was in the first three seasons (and Sisko, who he really disliked the first three seasons, almost became a new character at season 5). He does still remark that it "feels written for twelve year olds", and I think he's been exposed to "Prestige TV" move from The Sopranos and Breaking Bad onward that shows from the 80s-90s strike him as MCU-style fodder intended for people 15 and under. Shows from 25 years ago are in a very different cultural place than shows today, after all.

Does your dad only watch a finely curated selection of television from the very cream of the crop or something? I dare him to put on CBS for a week and come back with that opinion.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I need to constantly remind people I watch tv and movies with that things they are seeing are not real, and they don't need to flee the room anytime they see a train or motor car speeding directly towards camera.

It's a new medium we need to give time for people to adapt.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Never realized until now, and maybe I’ll find out differently this watch through, but I don’t recall the Founders/Dominion ever giving a poo poo about the Bajoran Prophets/Wormhole aliens.

So I’m on the episode where with the Federation uniform changeover and Sisko getting brain surgery. Was trying to keep a keep eye to see if there’s any tell that Bashir is a changeling in the episodes leading up to it. Nothing that I can tell. It may very well happen right before this episode. A few episodes prior was the episode where Worf and Dax go to Risa and Bashir, Leeta, and Quark tag along. I sure hope that was the real Bashir because otherwise Leeta was raped. :yikes:

Edit: Did Alexander Siddig and/or the rest of the cast know that Bashir was a changeling, or was it a surprise to them?

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 18, 2022

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Detective No. 27 posted:

So I’m on the episode where with the Federation uniform changeover and Sisko getting brain surgery. Was trying to keep a keep eye to see if there’s any tell that Bashir is a changeling in the episodes leading up to it. Nothing that I can tell. It may very well happen right before this episode. A few episodes prior was the episode where Worf and Dax go to Risa and Bashir, Leeta, and Quark tag along. I sure hope that was the real Bashir because otherwise Leeta was raped. :yikes:

The Bashir that performed brain surgery on Sisko was a Changeling. It's unknown when the switch happened but it was absolutely before Rapture. Bashir being a Changeling was an rear end-pull, much like him being genetically enhanced. The real Bashir doesn't return to the station until By Inferno's Light.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Edit: Did Alexander Siddig and/or the rest of the cast know that Bashir was a changeling, or was it a surprise to them?

If I recall the story correctly, the writers didn't even come up with the idea of the switch until the episode where it was revealed. Siddig in particular was kind of upset about that, since if he'd known it for the previous few episodes he would have LOVED to tweak his performance and put in just the sort of subtle clues you were hoping to find.

Please correct me if I've misremembered.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Well that's a shame.

Also, if we assume that the first thing Kasidy did after she got out of prison was to see Sisko, she got a far longer sentence for smuggling for the Maquis than Garak got for attempting to genocide the Founders and the attempted murder of several Star Fleet officers.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

Well that's a shame.

Also, if we assume that the first thing Kasidy did after she got out of prison was to see Sisko, she got a far longer sentence for smuggling for the Maquis than Garak got for attempting to genocide the Founders and the attempted murder of several Star Fleet officers.

Unfortunately, for as much of how DS9 was pre-planned with its broad strokes arcs, individual episodes often flew by the seat of their pants and just made poo poo up on the fly in the service of getting to the endgame. The genesis of all of Ron Moore's bad writing habits when it comes to serialized television, the ones that led to Battlestar Galactica splattering itself like a melon on concrete in its final years, occurs on Deep Space Nine.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Craptacular! posted:

I might be alone in thinking this in this thread, but I think your Dad is right. A great deal of Star Trek is little more than simple morality plays in a neat sci-fi setting. It's very similar to The Twilight Zone in that regard. But like The Twilight Zone, it also features some absolutely classic stories that haven't been done nearly as well anywhere else, and that's why Star Trek endures.

Deep Space Nine was just a twist on the classic, with slightly better writing (only slightly, though) and a more cohesive, though still, by comparison to today's shows, pretty threadbare overall story arc.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

nine-gear crow posted:

Berman and Braga probably figured they couldn't top the Archer Speech written by Manny Coto for Terra Prime one episode earlier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yus3e107X3Y

Which is a really drat good speech and a nice way to end a series.

It's a pretty good speech and I want to strangle whoever gave Bakula the direction to rooster strut around the room pausing every two words for overly dramatic effect.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Penitent posted:

It's a pretty good speech and I want to strangle whoever gave Bakula the direction to rooster strut around the room pausing every two words for overly dramatic effect.

Coming off like a preening dick orchestra while saying a bunch of things that, on paper, are extremely inspiring and insightful is the Jonathan Archer Special.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

nine-gear crow posted:

Unfortunately, for as much of how DS9 was pre-planned with its broad strokes arcs, individual episodes often flew by the seat of their pants and just made poo poo up on the fly in the service of getting to the endgame. The genesis of all of Ron Moore's bad writing habits when it comes to serialized television, the ones that led to Battlestar Galactica splattering itself like a melon on concrete in its final years, occurs on Deep Space Nine.

The DS9 documentary shows just how awful and masturbatory Moore's writing process is.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Mike the TV posted:

The DS9 documentary shows just how awful and masturbatory Moore's writing process is.

And yet, he was still one of the show's best writers!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The episode where Odo gets the changeling baby is funnier knowing that Fake Bashir was there to watch a dead baby undo Odo's punishment for treason.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

No Dignity posted:

And yet, he was still one of the show's best writers!

It's a process that can work great episodically but it's hard to stick a landing.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

Never realized until now, and maybe I’ll find out differently this watch through, but I don’t recall the Founders/Dominion ever giving a poo poo about the Bajoran Prophets/Wormhole aliens.

The Dominion is never really aware of the wormhole aliens. From their perspective, their only interaction is sending the invasion force into the wormhole, and then it just doesn't come out the other side.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

The Dominion is never really aware of the wormhole aliens. From their perspective, their only interaction is sending the invasion force into the wormhole, and then it just doesn't come out the other side.

It was a little weird that there was a whole occupation arc and the wormhole aliens and Bajoran religion never really came up much. Particularly given that this is a point where Gul Dukat is moving in the direction of realising they're a real thing.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
"You consider the Founders gods."
"That's different."
"How?!?"
"They ARE gods."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well they'd be well aware Starfleet said they came into contact with the beings residing in the wormhole, that's public information. And it was never said onscreen but the writers worked on the assumption that the prophets continued eating any Jem'Hadar ships that tried to traverse the wormhole after they cut their deal with Sisko, and there's no way the Dominion didn't test it out a few times from their end, so they presumably came to the conclusion that the Wormhole Aliens had chosen to block the passage.

Actually, that brings up an interesting question: did the dominion force in the Alpha Quadrant have any contact with the Gamma Quadrant Dominion after Sacrifice of Angels and before the finale? Was the female changeling just assuming the Great Link hadn't cured or succumbed to the disease?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MikeJF posted:

Well they'd be well aware Starfleet said they came into contact with the beings residing in the wormhole, that's public information. And it was never said onscreen but the writers worked on the assumption that the prophets continued eating any Jem'Hadar ships that tried to traverse the wormhole after they cut their deal with Sisko, and there's no way the Dominion didn't test it out a few times from their end, so they presumably came to the conclusion that the Wormhole Aliens had chosen to block the passage.

Actually, that brings up an interesting question: did the dominion force in the Alpha Quadrant have any contact with the Gamma Quadrant Dominion after Sacrifice of Angels and before the finale? Was the female changeling just assuming the Great Link hadn't cured or succumbed to the disease?
I don’t believe they had any contact, no.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Qs are gods, right? Kevin Uxbridge - god. Cytherians, also gods. The universe is absolutely swarming with gods and TNG atheists get around that by going "no they're just super aliens". And you know what, some of these gods do need a starship and it's insensitive to bring it up.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I for one welcome our gods-with-starships overlords.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Alchenar posted:

It was a little weird that there was a whole occupation arc and the wormhole aliens and Bajoran religion never really came up much. Particularly given that this is a point where Gul Dukat is moving in the direction of realising they're a real thing.

That's basically because by that point the whole of Bajor is no longer a relevant character on the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Detective No. 27 posted:

The episode where Odo gets the changeling baby is funnier knowing that Fake Bashir was there to watch a dead baby undo Odo's punishment for treason.

Who do you think gave it to Quark? If anything that episode showed Fake Bashir that Odo is in fact not completely trusting of the solids since he tried so hard to keep it away from Federation science. With him being forgiven for his treason by the founder during the war arc, it fits together well.

The stupid part was always how Fake Bashir's endgame would have killed Odo as well, though he is also "more important than the Alpha Quadrant itself".

Alchenar posted:

The thing about Dukat is he blatantly has a Creepy Old Man Boner for Bajor, and given the length of the occupation and the concubines and hidden daughter and whatnot, it's understandable he'd be more savvy to their culture. Even if he wasn't knee-deep in Bajor, simply dealing with Sisko would have taught him that there's more to Bajoran gods than he thought. The Founders made themselves known to Bajor to set up a religion whose purpose is to relay messages to The Emissary since they have no precise ability to influence linear time. It's unlikely the Dominion sees the wormhole as anything but a space anomaly.

The funny thing is as much as Dukat in the first half of the show is the guy who is So Proud Of Cardassia but obviously stooged and kept in the dark by the truly powerful in the high command, but in the second half he is defined as the guy who likely has an "I'd Go Whorin' For A Bajoran" bumper sticker in his garage and it's that trait which is most costly.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 18, 2022