Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Buncha lower DICKS!
They were all good posts, but this one is a perfect bookend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Winifred Madgers posted:

The Enterprise should blow up at least once per episode.

I wonder what the final count is for how many times we actually see the Enterprise-D explode onscreen. I can think of a few others, so my gut feeling is that the time loop episode accounts for about half of them.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Powered Descent posted:

I wonder what the final count is for how many times we actually see the Enterprise-D explode onscreen. I can think of a few others, so my gut feeling is that the time loop episode accounts for about half of them.

Time Squared (1), Timescape (1), Yesterday's Enterprise (1), Parallels (1), All Good Things (3), Generations (1), and Cause and Effect (18 times, 4 on screen).

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kesper North posted:

Why do Romulans use singularity cores anyway, and why do they keep using them when nobody else does?

You'd think if they were an improvement on conventional warp cores you'd see other entities stealing their technology or developing their own, as with the cloaking device.

I always felt like the singularity cores were the one wacky-rear end technology even Starfleet engineers wouldn't mess with, and everyone else in the galaxy sees that and took notes

Alternatively, the Romulans take patent enforcement very loving seriously

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eh, it's a sunk cost investment. The romulans have been using singularity cores for centuries, they have no expertise using M/AM. If they're roughly equivalent you keep using what you know.

Or alternatively, maybe it's better for cloaking. The Romulans seem better at cloaking very large ships than anyone else. The Romulan cloak had trouble masking the Defiant's strong power signature and they had to shut down main power to stay undetected, the first time they used it.

Phy posted:

Alternatively, the Romulans take patent enforcement very loving seriously

They kinda did: the Romulans spent much of history locked up behind their borders, the Feds probably had no idea they used singularities until some time during TNG.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 23, 2022

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Time Squared (1), Timescape (1), Yesterday's Enterprise (1), Parallels (1), All Good Things (3), Generations (1), and Cause and Effect (18 times, 4 on screen).

Well drat, looks like I forgot some.

I'm going to dispute Yesterday's Enterprise, though. The ship is clearly moments away from its doom but we don't actually see it blow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNJ2quz99aE&t=240s

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Powered Descent posted:

Well drat, looks like I forgot some.

I'm going to dispute Yesterday's Enterprise, though. The ship is clearly moments away from its doom but we don't actually see it blow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNJ2quz99aE&t=240s

Fair on. I must have misremembered. It's evocative enough that the viewer is certainly convinced, as you say.

I also pushed a bit with Parallels, which features the destruction of an Enterprise-D, but not the Enterprise-D. So there's room to quibble there, too. I'd count it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah I’ve seen that before. But a YouTube channel has an ongoing gimmick of editing TNG outtakes into the actual episodes. I don’t think that’s possible with a compilation totaling 55 seconds.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lemniscate Blue posted:

How do we know the time loop happened 18 times in Cause and Effect? I just watched it this week and I don’t remember any statement of how many times it’s gone on. Is it in Data decoding the voices or something?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They're in the loop for 17.4 days, but exactly how long a loop is isn't totally clear. Somewhere between half a day and a day, probably.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

MikeJF posted:

They're in the loop for 17.4 days, but exactly how long a loop is isn't totally clear. Somewhere between half a day and a day, probably.

That was the number that a few different sites gave, so I assumed that some nerd had done the math by comparing stardates or something.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Kibayasu posted:

Yeah I’ve seen that before. But a YouTube channel has an ongoing gimmick of editing TNG outtakes into the actual episodes. I don’t think that’s possible with a compilation totaling 55 seconds.

They’ve done some of the Voyager ones from that same source, so it’s not impossible!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Kesper North posted:

Weird that Ni'Var doesn't seem to have taken advantage of this

"Suckers. Nothing will stop our ships."

*plugs in singularity drive*

*horrible mechanical tentacles come whipping out*

"loving poo poo!!!"

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I'm far along enough in my marathon that I'm at Deep Space Nine. I've only seen two episodes (including the two-parter pilot) but I'm already vibing with it. With the Enterprise flinging all over the place it's nice to have this singular location iterated upon although I thought they cleaned up the place too quickly. If it were me, they'd still be picking up garbage into the end of the first season and by episode 2 the place is spick-and-span, but I'm the kind of viewer that likes slow change.

The show has an intimate quality and it kind of reminds me of old workplace sitcoms like Cheers. I think DS9 could use a nice opening theme like that because I don't like the orchestral opener that the show's got although I did warm up to Lower Decks' theme so maybe that'll happen here too.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Astroman posted:

"Ugh, we have to switch to Combat Saucer for the month?! I hate it, my quarters are like 1/3 the size, the carpet is rough, and the replicators have only 40 flavors of yoghurt!"

The easiest solution is to hot swap crews

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

DoubleCakes posted:

The show has an intimate quality and it kind of reminds me of old workplace sitcoms like Cheers. I think DS9 could use a nice opening theme like that because I don't like the orchestral opener that the show's got although I did warm up to Lower Decks' theme so maybe that'll happen here too.
That made me check the title lengths for DS9 and Cheers out of curiosity about dubbing the latter onto the former, and drat, I'd forgotten that DS9's titles are almost two minutes long. That's nearly 5% of the entire episode's length! (More once you add the end credits.)

Hmm. TOS was 57 seconds, TNG 1:45, DS9 1:56, VOY 1:44, ENT 1:19, DIS 1:30, LD 1:09, PRO 1:30. Think how much money they've saved over the decades by having long title sequences!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

DoubleCakes posted:

I'm far along enough in my marathon that I'm at Deep Space Nine. I've only seen two episodes (including the two-parter pilot) but I'm already vibing with it. With the Enterprise flinging all over the place it's nice to have this singular location iterated upon although I thought they cleaned up the place too quickly. If it were me, they'd still be picking up garbage into the end of the first season and by episode 2 the place is spick-and-span, but I'm the kind of viewer that likes slow change.

Oh, there's still a bunch of garbage left in that old station, Bajoran worker.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
The virgin season 1 station vs the chad season 4 station

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Attention Bajoran posters

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

DoubleCakes posted:

Early DS9 still has a little bit too much of the syndication mindset to have that sort of slow background development, unfortunately. But over time they do start working in little changes here and there, and by the end it really does feel like the station has come on a journey (even though technically it pretty much stays in one place)

The DS9 theme is kind of melancholy but I like it. It fits better with the later parts of the show when poo poo is more serious—although at that point they also modify the theme (for the worse imo)

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
It's probably my least favorite of all the openings tbh. It's not bad it does just seem slow. There's only so much you can do with it.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

If they had a modern DS9 do the little star trek logo that all the new shoes get to do, would it be a runabout that does it until later on? Lol

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

DoubleCakes posted:

There's a whole little youtube genre of making Star Trek intros with old sitcom theme songs. This one's my favorite, Deep Space Nine done up Friends-style. (Warning: contains a few extremely minor spoilers since the super-quick cuts do come from all 7 seasons.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59_Wzssx4iA

The one giving Picard the same treatment accidentally makes it look like a much more enjoyable show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vyGR4641VQ

And occasionally even a low effort zero-edits song replacement can work astonishingly well. Here's the Enterprise opening dubbed with the theme song from Perfect Strangers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P4IlgtwHmA

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

On that note, I have memories of watching TNG when I was really young at the same time I was watching the Police Academy movies so sometimes when I think of the TNG intro the Jerry Goldsmith theme is replaced with the Police Academy which fits pretty well because the it coming from a series of lowbrow 80s comedies, has a dignity to it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

DoubleCakes posted:

The show has an intimate quality and it kind of reminds me of old workplace sitcoms like Cheers.

I'm not sure how far into the season they mention his name, but the bald alien dude who's always drinking at Quarks is a direct reference to Cheers

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

They do a great job with sound design on DS9 (Really, 90s Trek in general), but just the ambient background stuff is so good. I love the dabo wheel noise.

The lighting on DS9 is also dramatically different from other shows of the era. There's little shadows everywhere. It's a delight.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
That P•I•C•A•R•D edit is great, but the best Trek intro redub will always be this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqGVyPO647I

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm one of the biggest DS9 apologists around, but yeah, I don't have much to say about the theme. It is what it is, could certainly be better.

One definite positive, though, is that I believe it's the only Trek theme to actually be done by a regular composer for the show, so I feel like they were able to incorporate the theme into the score a little more frequently than the other shows did.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Phy posted:

I'm not sure how far into the season they mention his name, but the bald alien dude who's always drinking at Quarks is a direct reference to Cheers

Who, Morn?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The DS9 theme is great, the visuals are boring. It’s come up before but with a little forward thinking (and more money) showing more than just the station could have made the intro a really dynamic part of the show. Interior shots of the promenade and such probably come off as too hokey but trading ships buzzing around (changing them out for starships as the war starts), shots of Bajor and Cardassia and the badlands, and traveling through the wormhole could have all added to the rising nature of the DS9 theme.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm one of the biggest DS9 apologists around, but yeah, I don't have much to say about the theme. It is what it is, could certainly be better.

One definite positive, though, is that I believe it's the only Trek theme to actually be done by a regular composer for the show, so I feel like they were able to incorporate the theme into the score a little more frequently than the other shows did.

DS9's in-show music definitely had its own style quite distinct from later TNG/Voyager while still being Trekish.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
I liked the time they had the theme in an episode with a Bajoran composer playing it in the bar and Quark was all, "But this music sucks?!?"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

And use this variant of the theme during the arc where the Dominion is occupying the station

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZAGYBBwgnY

:allears:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

BonHair posted:

Who, Morn?

Lots of people. There's a whole episode about it!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Powered Descent posted:

And use this variant of the theme during the arc where the Dominion is occupying the station

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZAGYBBwgnY

:allears:

Oh god, that just sounds repulsive. Why would you post that? :barf:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

BonHair posted:

Who, Morn?

No, Calvin Filk

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh god, that just sounds repulsive. Why would you post that? :barf:

I mean, it'd sound better with an orchestra actually playing it in a minor key instead of just doing a lovely machine conversion, but it's enough to get the idea.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I'm kinda annoyed that there doesn't seem to be anyone doing full-on Auralnauts stuff with Star Trek

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Delsaber posted:

I'm kinda annoyed that there doesn't seem to be anyone doing full-on Auralnauts stuff with Star Trek

Someone giving Star Trek: Picard the Larry Kenobi treatment would be loving amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

Someone giving Star Trek: Picard the Larry Kenobi treatment would be loving amazing.

It would certainly be be coherent