Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
The original Smart Alien Bastards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I hope there is an explanation of it being the same girl in both illusions and not just because they didn't need to cast another actress

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Speaking of comparisons to TNG, the TOS theme is so distinctly 60s but I don't think of the TNG theme as distinctly 90s. The first part is kind of Hearts of Space, but most of it just sounds like any romanticism-influenced orchestra music like John Williams

Well, the TNG theme was really written in the '70s. Makes me wonder what an '80s / '90s theme would've been like.

Edit: probably like the Enterprise theme I guess

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 25, 2018

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

"It's a trap, when dreams become more important than reality"

Whoa

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Thousands of people not just watching you but experiencing what you do really is the ultimate form of voyeurism

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The framing device is getting weaker because it's just the modern crew reiterating what they're seeing

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
you're the modern crew reiterating what you're seeing

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

GREEN DANCING WOMAN

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I've had dreams where something as powerful as these aliens is loving with me

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He's Mr Bucket
He's Mr Bucket

"I have to revert back to my state"

There goes Mr Bucket
"Ohhhh, Odo!"
"I don't use the bucket anymore"

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

He's Mr Bucket
He's Mr Bucket

"I have to revert back to my state"

There goes Mr Bucket
"Ohhhh, Odo!"
"I don't use the bucket anymore"

Get dat get dat
Gold-pressed latinum!
Get dat get dat
Gold-pressed latinum!
Am I right?! (Whoo haha yeah)
Am-I Am-I right?!

Edit: drat why is that catchier than it should be?

mycomancy fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 25, 2018

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

"They had no guide to putting me back together"

This two parter is full of real horror, and it seems like it goes beyond what they intended

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

:stare:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Now keep in mind that the whole thing with Pike and Talosians, which was really great sci-fi and great drama, was rejected as "too cerebral" by the NBC execs.

Also FYI the Talosians are all played by women!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Well that was wrapped up quick

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Astroman posted:

Now keep in mind that the whole thing with Pike and Talosians, which was really great sci-fi and great drama, was rejected as "too cerebral" by the NBC execs.

Also FYI the Talosians are all played by women!

That's Roddenberry's bullshit excuse, isn't it? I thought it was more "too much overt sexuality, and we don't like that your girlfriend has a prominent role."

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Whether it was meant to or not, these episodes seem like they were about TV with characters constantly watching other ones on screens and the whole thing about the Talosians' subjects being the ultimate TV show and the ending that absolves you a little for getting lost in fantasy

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The last three DS9 episodes I watched have been super OBrien focused.

OBrien and Bashir hiding from Whoville aliens, OBrien replicant on the run from Starfleet, then OBrien and Sisko enslaved by a Luddite cult leader, OBrien has to solve the macguffin and beat off her hunky son while Sisko engages in a passive resistance battle of wills.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

McNally posted:

That's Roddenberry's bullshit excuse, isn't it? I thought it was more "too much overt sexuality, and we don't like that your girlfriend has a prominent role."

No, "cerebral" was indeed the reason The Cage was rejected (which is fair, it's pretty slow, particularly by 1965 standards); they also didn't like that Number One was a woman (they didn't know Roddenberry was loving Majel at the time) and they thought Spock was too "devilish" in appearance. There's an NBC memo reproduced somewhere--maybe the Solow / Justman book--that uses that language. But they liked the concept enough to commission a second pilot, which is how we got The Original Series.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Sir Lemming posted:

Edit: probably like the Enterprise theme I guess

Wow this sucks

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Timby posted:

they thought Spock was too "devilish" in appearance.

Lol. That kind of gives me vertigo making me realize how long ago it was

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Timby posted:

No, "cerebral" was indeed the reason The Cage was rejected (which is fair, it's pretty slow, particularly by 1965 standards); they also didn't like that Number One was a woman (they didn't know Roddenberry was loving Majel at the time) and they thought Spock was too "devilish" in appearance. There's an NBC memo reproduced somewhere--maybe the Solow / Justman book--that uses that language. But they liked the concept enough to commission a second pilot, which is how we got The Original Series.

Goddamnit, there's so much Roddenberry propaganda and anti-Roddenberry propaganda flying about that I don't remember what's true or not anymore.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

OBrien has to solve the macguffin and beat off her hunky son

I have been watching the wrong DS9.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh poo poo, sorry I was watching D Sixty 9

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

McNally posted:

Goddamnit, there's so much Roddenberry propaganda and anti-Roddenberry propaganda flying about that I don't remember what's true or not anymore.

luckily Timby is here to keep it all straight for us. A natural scholar that one!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Whether it was meant to or not, these episodes seem like they were about TV with characters constantly watching other ones on screens and the whole thing about the Talosians' subjects being the ultimate TV show and the ending that absolves you a little for getting lost in fantasy

This is a good insight, and I have no idea whether it was meant that way.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HIJK posted:

luckily Timby is here to keep it all straight for us. A natural scholar that one!

... is this sarcasm? :(

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Timby posted:

... is this sarcasm? :(

No :( I like reading your insights dude

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Timby is the thread’s Data. Walking encyclopedia Data, not “beep boop what is anger Geordi” Data.

Speaking of, are there pics of those re-dyed TMP uniforms? I don’t remember them.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

This guy talks about them.

http://wrathofdhanprops.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-complete-guide-to-starfleet-style.html

Basically all the trainee uniforms in TWOK. Also, they were the enlisted uniforms in ST:VI. It's what yeoman Burke and Samno were wearing.

They were dyed to match the officer uniforms and had a the extra piece added on the shoulders.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The part that bugs me about The Menagerie is no one seems to notice that the Talosians can project their illusions as far away as Starbase 11 (so that they could make an illusory Commodore to come along with Kirk). So being at that starbase is just as dangerous as being in orbit of Talos IV itself -- the aliens can still trick you into anything they want, including going to Talos IV if they so choose. General Order 7 needs to get waaaaaay expanded in scope.

Also, they completely drop the whole legal matter of Spock having committed a capital crime (of which he's totally guilty, by the way), but that's par for the course in Trek happy endings.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

bull3964 posted:

This guy talks about them.

http://wrathofdhanprops.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-complete-guide-to-starfleet-style.html

Basically all the trainee uniforms in TWOK. Also, they were the enlisted uniforms in ST:VI. It's what yeoman Burke and Samno were wearing.

They were dyed to match the officer uniforms and had a the extra piece added on the shoulders.

Weird, I’m familiar with those uniforms but I had no idea they were repurposed from TMP. I always thought they were made for TWOK.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Weird, I’m familiar with those uniforms but I had no idea they were repurposed from TMP. I always thought they were made for TWOK.

Yup. Robert Fletcher really earned his paycheck on that one.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Watching the Menagerie PART TWO. They gave a full recap just in case. Kirk narrated, which I actually kind of like better than how they did in in TNG and every other 90s show where it was just a series of clips and then "and now..."

I always thought they should do 'previously on's like that, with a straight up explanation rather than random nonsensical clips.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bull3964 posted:

Yup. Robert Fletcher really earned his paycheck on that one.

I would have to check, but I believe the Monster Maroons and the trapunto, the effects work for the battles and the nebula, getting Nimoy back on board, and getting Montalban were the biggest costs on Wrath of Khan. But, yeah, Fletcher did exactly what Bob Sallin told him to do: Make it better but use everything we have in the closets.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MikeJF posted:

I always thought they should do 'previously on's like that, with a straight up explanation rather than random nonsensical clips.

They should do it more like the midpoint of "Encounter at Farpoint" where Riker sits down and watches this hyperkinetically edited clip show of the first episode with no context.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MikeJF posted:

That's silly, it's not like they have an established framing device they could re-use for that, such as the Captain starting off most episodes by explaining background information for the events of the episode.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Timby posted:

Original concept art for The Motion Picture had that conference between Kirk and Spock and McCoy having both nacelles visible through the window:

Andy Probert and I think Jesco von Puttkamer both pointed out that the scale of this didn't work at all, so the idea was dropped. But in The Director's Edition, there's a CGI nacelle, despite it not making sense in the slightest of where they are on the ship:

Couldn't that just be a viewscreen rather than a window

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Oh poo poo, sorry I was watching D Sixty 9

Stuff like this makes me think that, if we ever get a real Space Station 69, it'll have to print "Not as fun as it sounds" just under the name by all the entrances.