Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Man, you know that there would be at least a few of the most incredibly daring and bleeding edge (literally in this case) Klingon fusion chefs that have worked for years to produce a cooked gagh recipe that would result in anything other than a battle to the death for a Klingon customer.

A greater quest than finding the Sword of Kah'less.
One wonders. I assume the Klingons have replicators too even if they are probably the sorts to carry live food around in greater quantity than the Federales, who seem to only tote around boutique liquors. They probably make like, blood crackers and poo poo to stretch it out and we're mostly seeing them eating their big meal of the day.

But the replicator can't make living organisms... or at least it can't replicate human (and presumably Klingon) life.

Is there replicated gagh, thrown into a sick parody of sterile life for the sake of a delectable taste experience!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Nessus posted:

One wonders. I assume the Klingons have replicators too even if they are probably the sorts to carry live food around in greater quantity than the Federales, who seem to only tote around boutique liquors. They probably make like, blood crackers and poo poo to stretch it out and we're mostly seeing them eating their big meal of the day.

But the replicator can't make living organisms... or at least it can't replicate human (and presumably Klingon) life.

Is there replicated gagh, thrown into a sick parody of sterile life for the sake of a delectable taste experience!?

In the Klingon FMV game you go to a dinner party type thing and they have a bunch of food prepared and it definitely seems like it was made by hand, not by replicator, so I think they're pretty big fans of actually preparing their food fresh.

Plus, like you said, you can't replicate fresh gagh

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Gh'rdan of the House of rM'seH, a 9-bat'leth chef, spoke today about his disappointment in traditional Klingon cuisine.

"There's more to food than boiling, flame-roasting, or simply eating live, you honourless curs. To expand your palettes, I've prepared a delicious sous vide heart of targ, glazed with a Romulan spinal fluid reduction and stuffed with human herbs like sweet basil, taragon, and prunes. It is a good day to dine."

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Nessus posted:

Given what we've seen of the interior of Klingon ships and their crews, like the ship in the TNG episode A Matter of Honor or on the Rotarran in DS9, they seem to have relatively small crews compared to Federation ships so maybe they really do have room to carry around a bunch of fresh food.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The Big Book of Knives.

https://twitter.com/trekcore/status/1009773634125287424

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mountaineer posted:

Given what we've seen of the interior of Klingon ships and their crews, like the ship in the TNG episode A Matter of Honor or on the Rotarran in DS9, they seem to have relatively small crews compared to Federation ships so maybe they really do have room to carry around a bunch of fresh food.

In fairness, some of the Enterprise D's 78,456 empty apartments could probably be used for food if they wanted.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Mountaineer posted:

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Does this work like a voodoo doll? Would consider if that were the case.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I will always go to bat for the Sovereign class design, but that Cardassian/Dominion station design is weird as hell

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

FlamingLiberal posted:

I will always go to bat for the Sovereign class design, but that Cardassian/Dominion station design is weird as hell

dangerous fidget spinner

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think part of the reason people so often dislike the Sovereign is that they expected the new Enterprise to clearly be a newer, better iteration on the Galaxy when instead the Sovereign is a much bigger Intrepid.

Edit: Found it.

quote:

I think there's an interesting design lineage with the canon designs you see for Starfleet's cruiser-type ships.

Start with the Constitution. Saucer, engineering hull, nacelles, all on thin angled pylons.

The new cruiser type we see after the Constitution is the Excelsior. The neck pylon is now straight up rather than the forward-leaning neck of the Constitution, and much shorter and wider. The nacelle pylons are now straight right angles. It's a larger, stouter looking ship.

After the Excelsior is the Ambassador class, which largely keeps the shapes of the Excelsior but dramatically changes the proportions. The Constitution and Excelsior are both long, narrow, vertically tall looking ships. The Ambassador's proportions are quite different, it's short and fat, very blocky despite how rounded everything is. The nacelles especially are now short and wide, rather than the long, thin nacelles of previous cruisers. It's a rather compact looking ship by comparison to previous and subsequent designs.

From the Ambassador, we get the Galaxy class. Proportions are generally the same as the Ambassador, but the saucer is stretched out horizontally and the neck pylon stretches to accomodate in a cobra hood looking configuration. The secondary hull drops the 'tail' the Ambassador and Excelsior had, and the secondary hull almost seems to huddle underneath and behind the massive Galaxy saucer. It's not as compact or blocky as the Ambassador, but retains the short and wide proportions while remaining a rather tall ship.

Before we get to the Sovereign, though, another cruiser-type ship appeared in Star Trek: the Intrepid. I think the Intrepid is a divergent evolution of the Excelsior design, as it draws on the same design heritage but like the Ambassador makes some significant alterations. First and foremost, the neck pylon is eliminated, bringing the saucer down to sit directly on top of the engineering section. Additionally, the nacelles are brought down to level with the secondary hull, with shorter pylons. It's still a long and narrow looking ship, but now it's much shorter and sleeker than its predecessors and contemporaries.

The Sovereign, in my mind, is an evolution of the Intrepid rather than the Galaxy, as it retains the same proportions and styling. Saucer sitting directly on top of engineering with no discernable neck pylon, and low-slung nacelle pylons keeping the nacelles close to the body of the ship - on level with the saucer like in older designs, but feeling much closer in with much less empty space due to the Sovereign's different proportions. It's another long, narrow, low-slung ship like the Intrepid.

The Nova is very similar to the Intrepid in design and proportions.

Finally, the Prometheus seems to be another iteration from the Intrepid, this time almost completely eliminating the distinction between saucer and secondary hull (though given the Prometheus' gimmick, this isn't surprising), though you can still see the distinct parts.

There's a few other 'lines' of Federation ships I think you can trace in the canon. The Miranda class leads smoothly to the Centaur, with a brief fling with the Galaxy class leading to the Nebula, and from STD I think the Walker class (USS Shenzou) slides neatly into place as the Miranda's predecessor. The Akira obviously draws heavily from the NX with their catamaran design you see nowhere else.

And during the DS9 era, you see a flurry of new Starfleet designs with no clear design lineage that seem to be wholly new designs - the Defiant, Saber, Norway, Steamrunner, and Peregrine (the Akira not anymore thanks to Enterprise). Which makes sense if Starfleet is experimenting with new designs in response to threats like the Borg, and in my mind, perhaps advances in warp technology. In TOS, the Enterprise's nacelles were supposed to be dangerous in the eyes of the show's designers, and should be kept away from the ship. You see that philosophy continue until the DS9 era, so perhaps Starfleet came up with a way to make the nacelles safer.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 21, 2018

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cythereal posted:

I think part of the reason people so often dislike the Sovereign is that they expected the new Enterprise to clearly be a newer, better iteration on the Galaxy when instead the Sovereign is a much bigger Intrepid.

Nah, it's because it's stabby.

EimiYoshikawa posted:

What was the future timeline in All Good Things? 25 or 30 years?

Given that said timeline was averted, seeing an actual Picard/everybody else about the age they were old-makeupped into there for real...well, it could be amazing.

It could be. If the more recent crops of ST writers were not involved.

Make a special edition of AGT where they reshoot all of the future scenes with the actors today.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
What would your preferred Enterprise - E look like then?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah

I'll just to to one of the upper docking pylons and.... uh

Why is the station designed like this again?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

To me the Enterprise E and later types of ships are OK looking sleeker and more compact as Starfleet deals with things like the Borg. It started to shift with the Defiant class.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Does anyone who listens to both Mission Log and Greatest Gen get the impression Mission Log is straight up stealing jokes from Greatest Gen?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Like what kind?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Warp 10 is FAKE SCIENCE!! (But really, trash science journals suck and this poo poo needs to be rooted out.)

FlamingLiberal posted:

Bokai played baseball when apparently the sport was about to die, so I tend to think the talent he was playing against couldn't have been very good

That's not necessarily accurate. Probably the best jai alai player ever is playing right now while that sport is on full life support with a signed and notarized DNR.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

McSpanky posted:

Warp 10 is FAKE SCIENCE!! (But really, trash science journals suck and this poo poo needs to be rooted out.)

That's not necessarily accurate. Probably the best jai alai player ever is playing right now while that sport is on full life support with a signed and notarized DNR.

For the longest time I thought jai alai was just something that got made up for Mad Men.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
I regret to inform everyone that Voyager is, in fact, good

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Low Desert Punk posted:

I regret to inform everyone that Voyager is, in fact, good

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Watching Arena. The guys seem to have a lot of eyeshadow and mascara on this episode

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

What? Is this set real? Is part of it matte or newly added CGI?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Arena is the TOS episode that everyone thinks is one of the worst episodes but is actually one of the better ones.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Jeb! Repetition posted:

What? Is this set real? Is part of it matte or newly added CGI?

Remastered. The original shot had something in the foreground blocking a good chunk of the matte background.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Spock’s blush in Balance of Terror is out of controoool

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

It's interesting how the aliens aren't shown but this 24th century trench warfare is so boring

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The injured extra is overacting worse than Shatner. Won't stop squirming and wailing

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh this is that famous episode

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Oh this is that famous episode

Now you got it.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I'm still into it in spite of the rubber suit and choreography which is the worst I've ever seen in Star Trek, and that's saying something

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jeez

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Try to look past the terrible lizard suit. That's what it tends to be remembered for now, but Arena has a great message.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I can see why that episode's so famous. It was some of the purest Star Trek ever. Bad fights, good moral, condescending godlike aliens, part where they find a mysteriously destroyed outpost

Also a good prequel to Darmok

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

It's also a great example of a time when Kirk, when confronted with evidence that he's in the wrong, adjusts course. He was thirsty for revenge after seeing the remains of Cestus III, but when he found out that the Gorn may have been the injured party, he declined to kill their captain. He's a much more complex character than he tends to be depicted these days.

Another example is Obsession, which I won't spoil if you haven't yet seen it.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Try to look past the terrible lizard suit. That's what it tends to be remembered for now, but Arena has a great message.

Yeah, that Double Punches are :krad: :black101:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

He's a much more complex character than he tends to be depicted these days.

When I last watched TOS, what stuck out to me the most about how Kirk commands and leads is his guile. Kirk's not very belligerent, or even bold like Sisko and Janeway. What Kirk is, is cunning and he is clever. Most of the time, he wins by bluffs, trickery, and outwitting the opponent rather than simply pummeling them.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cythereal posted:

What Kirk is, is cunning and he is clever. Most of the time, he wins by bluffs, trickery, and outwitting the opponent rather than simply pummeling them.

This is why I always get irrationally angry at people who insist that Kirk should have died on the blazing bridge of the Enterprise while battling Klingons or some poo poo. It displays a fundamental misunderstanding of the character.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Cythereal posted:

When I last watched TOS, what stuck out to me the most about how Kirk commands and leads is his guile. Kirk's not very belligerent, or even bold like Sisko and Janeway. What Kirk is, is cunning and he is clever. Most of the time, he wins by bluffs, trickery, and outwitting the opponent rather than simply pummeling them.

Kirk's a sly motherfucker and that's the fun part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Kirk is a bookworm who plays chess, taught philosophy at the academy, reads Spinoza for fun, and figured out how to hack the Kobyashi Maru simulator so he wouldn't fail it. No idea how anybody can think he's not smart.