Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Pick posted:

Especially not Dukat who is smart and cool

and my friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Gul Dukat is a pretty cool guy. He exploits Bajor and doesn't afraid of antagonizing Kira.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
No Middle Eastern actresses? What was Shohreh Aghdashloo doing in the 90s?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Without getting into how accurate he is because I don't really know, he said no Arab actresses. Shohreh Aghdashloo is Iranian.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Zesty posted:

Based on her voice I'd say she was smoking.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Iranians are mostly Persian in case you crackers didn't know.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

LRADIKAL posted:

Iranians are mostly Persian in case you crackers didn't know.

I didn't! Always nice to learn something new.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Astroman posted:

There's nothing wrong with it per se, but it would be interesting to break ranks and show something different.

BSG actually did this pretty well come to think of it, with the loosely united Colonies who had very different societies making them up, and they were somewhat fracturing along old societal lines as society fell (and also breaking down along new lines based on whatever ship you lived on). Not to mention none of them were our standard Earth 20th century nationalities.

Also as much as a lot of people, especially Star Trek fans, want a one world govt and monoculture, the trends of the past century have been the opposite--there are almost 200 countries today, there were about 150 fifty years ago, and 100 years ago there were around 50. As more and more ethnic and cultural identities are allowed to express themselves, we trend towards more diverse free and independent nations. Though Star Trek seems to sidestep this by implying that cultural heritage is subsumed and matters as much as saying you're from Vermont vs New Hampshire. So while there are many heritages celebrated on post scarcity Earth, it's all reduced to GUMBO or VINEYARDS or WEARING AFRICAN/SCOTTISH PATTERENED DRESS UNIFORM ACCESSORIES but everyone is blandly "human" in general.

Like root beer...
It all depends on how you define a "country." I agree that you run into the issue with implying that actual physical cultures would die out, but it seems as if you could portray human states/nations/tribes/whatever the gently caress is the correct word free of the taint of capitalism as forming elsewhere. Sometimes this gets stupid - I remember the Wunderlanders in the Man-Kzin stories were some kind of hilarious mash-up of Germans, South Africans, barely-veiled Rhodesians and so on, and had an entire planet where the largest city had eight hundred people. Then again they were also swiftly occupied and eaten by the Kzin.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

This exists

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
It is not green. :mad:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

After The War posted:

That wasn't vodka. God, what kind of fan are you?

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

It's not green, but it could become green pretty easily with the right mix. I doubt any vodka branded after a TV show is smooth enough to be taken on its own anyway.

There's also a Captain Kirk whiskey floating around which might be a little more tolerable. But still not green.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

After The War posted:

Alright, so go buy a bottle of chartreuse and make a really frowny forehead so you can pretend it's Romulan Ale.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

It was invented by a little old lady...in Leningrad.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
What irritates me is when people try to sell Romulan Ale that's just blue-colored beer. I mean, okay yeah it's called "ale", but the characters all treat it like a high-powered liquor of some kind.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Chakotay’s memory wiping girlfriend looks exactly like Stormy Daniels

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What episode?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

E: nevermind

Astroman fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Aug 20, 2018

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Astroman please embed the gifv rather than the hundred meg gif.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

What irritates me is when people try to sell Romulan Ale that's just blue-colored beer. I mean, okay yeah it's called "ale", but the characters all treat it like a high-powered liquor of some kind.

I wouldn't be surprised if there would be legal issues with selling a liquor labelled as ale.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Zesty posted:

According to IMDb literally nothing. Her career stops at 1993 and doesn't pick up again till 2000.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
https://i.imgur.com/p2hYVTR.gifv

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I was expecting that canned chicken gif but this was even better

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Have we already forgotten about the Gazorra edits?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocPQKjuCqM0

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if there would be legal issues with selling a liquor labelled as ale.

"America is a sham! It's nothing more than a system of financial penalties!!"

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
So in Kelvin Timeline news, apparently both Pine and Hemsworth have walked away from the negotiations for the fourth movie. With Paramount looking at possible bankruptcy, the future of the series is looking pretty aaaaahahahah ahahaha hahaaa aaaaaaah sorry nobody cares.

the best thing that could come from all this is viacom and cbs getting back in the sack so the franchise can at least live under one roof.

even if that roof is attached to a bouncy castle full of vomiting children

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Here's an idea: A new Star Trek movie but all the cast is CGI and the voice acting is done by machines.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The fourth Kelvin movie is just Garret Wang reading some crap he wrote on a legal pad in 45 minutes.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Hey Uhura. Hail the Romulan vessel.

"Ok; Ella Roman vessel. Here's some pictures."

No, no, hail the Romula-

"According to Wikipedia, an anemometer is a device for measuring wind speed."

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Finished up Voyager season 4. Still going pretty strong. I think it was a solid choice adding Seven. She makes my dinger salute and she is also an interesting character. I despise Borg bullshit entirely, yet somehow Seven seems to work. Sure half her dialogue is that she used to be Borg and they sort of use her like a Wikipedia when it suits the crew, but overall I think her arc is compelling and fresh enough to revitalize a series that you could just feel was becoming more lackluster by the episode. There was almost nothing to distinguish it from being a crappier TNG since the Delta quadrant stuff could have been entirely done as if it were Alpha quadrant and 90% of the episodes would still work. Even if they were far away from home they basically mentioned it in passing and it was the same early TNG episode after episode “not quite amazing but not quite terrible” Trek.

The Year From Hell was easily the best of the season. I think they may be my favorite two parter of any Trek!

Edit: Omega Directive was also great. Message in a Bottle was good but Andy Dick sucks for various reasons. Retrospect seemed like a rape investigation that turned into blaming the victim somehow and doesn’t translate well in 2018. Living Witness was way better than it had any right to be.

Windows 98 fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 21, 2018

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

I find it strange that the ships always seem to be passing through stars that wiz by them in the windows. That’s not how stars work.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Holy heck. The season premier of Voyager season 5. Where Kim and Paris are loving around in the holodeck during the intro. What an obscure deep cut for Star Trek to make. Hell, the only reason I know about this movie is because I stumbled upon and bought the 8mm film in an antique store

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Windows 98 posted:

I find it strange that the ships always seem to be passing through stars that wiz by them in the windows. That’s not how stars work.

Wow what an ironic post to make right before watching the Voyager season 5 premiere.

“What if an episode where just absolutely nothing is happening”

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Crusher's tiny smirk is the real high point to me, like she knew already and now can't wait to watch the drama unfold.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

For DS9 S05E22 "Children of Time", I like the idea of people from a timeline who don't want to see it altered so they won't exist. It's a change-up from the usual story of visiting the darkest timeline with people agreeing that it should be changed, even if they won't exist, because "anything has to be better than this". I'm not opposed to the Kira/Odo romance so far, but the worst part of it is that they keep bringing cop-outs like time travel copies into it and absolving Odo and Kira of any responsibility or agency in advancing the relationship.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

galenanorth posted:

I'm not opposed to the Kira/Odo romance so far, but the worst part of it is that they keep bringing cop-outs like time travel copies into it and absolving Odo and Kira of any responsibility or agency in advancing the relationship.
Well good news, you won't have to deal with the constant teasing for long

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Windows 98 posted:

Those are just stray particles in space hitting the deflector shield my football playing friend

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

galenanorth posted:

For DS9 S05E22 "Children of Time", I like the idea of people from a timeline who don't want to see it altered so they won't exist. It's a change-up from the usual story of visiting the darkest timeline with people agreeing that it should be changed, even if they won't exist, because "anything has to be better than this". I'm not opposed to the Kira/Odo romance so far, but the worst part of it is that they keep bringing cop-outs like time travel copies into it and absolving Odo and Kira of any responsibility or agency in advancing the relationship.

Odo has the dubious accomplishment of being the only “but I’m a nice guy!” creep in history to literally genocide an entire planet trying to get out of the friend zone

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Somehow the One storyline worked even though it was Borg bullshit.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Odo has the dubious accomplishment of being the only “but I’m a nice guy!” creep in history to literally genocide an entire planet trying to get out of the friend zone

Well Dukat tried and probably killed more people overall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Dukat's pretty nice to everyone on ds9 considering that sisko was a dick to him like right away and he didn't even know the guy yet or nuthin'