Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

FlamingLiberal posted:

Well we're definitely going to have a homeless problem here in a matter of months thanks to the government just deciding that we don't need to take any action to keep people in their homes

San Francisco is already called sanctuary city. Wouldn’t put it past second term President Walls to stick all the homeless in every state into a boxed in ghetto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Arglebargle III posted:

I do think it was a mistake to completely defang the Ferengi in DS9.

I thought the take on them in "The Nagus", where they were basically space-mobsters, was the best one. They obviously weren't ever going to be a real threat to the Federation, but they didn't need to swing all the way to "We're ultra-capitalists but we've never done slavery or genocide or war crimes" like later seasons did.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Senor Tron posted:

It's a good episode of Voyager because it still causes these debates decades later.

There are numerous different ways of looking at the situation that have been gone through over the franchise. What if it was a time travel reset button so that Tuvix never came into being? What if it was an entirely unconnected crew member whose life could be sacrificed to bring them back?

I don't really get how Tuvix is a good episode tbh

It's an interesting premise so people talk about it, but the last third of the episode is super hosed in an inexplicable "I don't understand why you wrote this" kind of way. Tuvix begging for his life only to have the entire crew (aside from the Doctor) ignore his pleas is, uh, certainly a choice that the writers made. There really needed to be some larger stakes for why Tuvix needed to be split, and at least some members of the crew needed to be more strongly on his side. The episode just needed... something. Because as written, it's pointlessly cold and mean-spirited in a way that I guess Voyager is sometimes, but Trek in general isn't.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Eaves’ best design by far.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Timby posted:

Simon Pegg has effectively confirmed that any future Trek movies are dead and that ViacomCBS is focusing on TV for the current moment.

Can we get Simon Pegg running a TV show now please then?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MikeJF posted:

Put him and Urban on a Judge Dredd show. Half the episodes are the Raid and half are Hot Fuzz in Megacity One.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

(Sorry to double post)

It's hilarious in retrospect. Encounter At Farpoint had all that stuff about the Ferengi eating their foes and being fearsome enemies. Then along came The Last Outpost and they were a complete joke. I think it still ranks as one of the biggest flops in Star Trek history.

The Suliban were factually worse. Biohacking dappled time terrorists shouldnt be as lame as that.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Not at all shocked here

It would be really hard to get the studio to agree to bring all of those actors back at higher pay for a film that the studio was pretty lukewarm about making

I did want to see what Tarantino's Trek film script would have been (not sure if it was ever actually written though).

Im pretty sure QT has ADHD, since he has a lot, and I mean a lot of ideas for movies which never happened. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quentin_Tarantino%27s_unrealized_projects

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Not at all shocked here

It would be really hard to get the studio to agree to bring all of those actors back at higher pay for a film that the studio was pretty lukewarm about making

I did want to see what Tarantino's Trek film script would have been (not sure if it was ever actually written though).

Tarantino wasn't writing it, Mark L. Smith (The Revenant) was.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

dang. Watching the enterprise episode "North Star" and that was pretty fun! The old west theme is very TOS and its a fun little home away from home type thing. I hate how they always cut away before you see the whole future of them though, i think thats a problem with a lot of those things are.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

This is like Michael Scott's original concept for the Dunder Mifflin commercial

Meanwhile, in the mirror universe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRl_D_CunWA

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 24, 2020

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

The Bloop posted:

They were already dead

Murdering him and Spock sacrificing himself for his loved ones (after shoving his katra into Bones) are not the same thing

Darkness should've had Bones shoving Spock into the reactor as their dark twist, it would've been more interesting. We could argue about the morality of sacrificing a friend, whether he would've been so quick to sacrifice if Spock weren't a Jew Vulcan, etc.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Making Bones a (possibly racist) murderer would have measurably worse than the predictable twist we got, goddamn. :stonk:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Making Bones a (possibly racist) murderer would have measurably worse than the predictable twist we got, goddamn. :stonk:

It's logic, sacrifice one to save the whole ship! Even Spock would respect that.

I guess it would make more sense if it were Kirk ordering him in.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

The Suliban were factually worse. Biohacking dappled time terrorists shouldnt be as lame as that.

Is that the race that was one big Taliban metaphor (I've never watched Enterprise)?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Is that the race that was one big Taliban metaphor (I've never watched Enterprise)?

If I recall correctly, Rick Berman had just heard of this obscure little sect called the Taliban and thought the name sounded cool, so he used something similar for some aliens in the show. No actual parallels beyond that. (Then of course about six months later, just before the show premiered, the obscure sect got a lot more famous.)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tepVDyAUmc

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Ahahaha... I'm mildly tripping on a dissociative atm and I managed to forget that I wasn't watching an ordinary blooper. So when it cut to the other camera and no one was cracking up I totally lost it.

E: I guess that's a little spoilery.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I had to watch Nemesis again tonight as a way for a friend to understand STP a bit better.

Yeah, watching it after seeing TWoK makes it much worse. Seeing it after a long long binge of DS9 makes it worse. The Scimitar's bridge is obviously DS9 Ops and I can't unsee it. :gonk:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MikeJF posted:

He and Nick Frost are EPs on the forthcoming Rivers of London adaptation! :toot:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Continuing TOS-

Metamorphosis- Zefram Cochrane can't help but gently caress a space cloud. I guess it's the least he can do since it is making him immortal. At one point the space cloud sets the back of the shuttlecraft on fire but apparently it's fine later? There is a lot of sexist stuff involving the woman that Kirk and Co are trying to get back to the ship, like how she regrets working too much and not having a relationship. I wish there had been more involving Kirk and Cochrane about how much he has missed in the almost two centuries since he disappeared. Not a ton actually happens in this episode.

Journey to Babel (rewatch)- I had forgotten the subplot of Sarek getting sick and Spock going back and forth on whether or not he was going to give his father a transfusion. The only thing I really remembered was the main plot involving the ship being followed and delegates to the meeting showing up dead. This is really the first episode that expands on the Federation's political situation. You also have the introduction of the Andorians and Tellarites, although they don't get much screen time. It's still a strong episode.

Friday's Child- Another conflict between the Federation and the Klingons over a less developed planet's resources. I feel like the writers occasionally forgot about the established Prime Directive, not that Kirk cared about violating it most of the time. There's a brief subplot of the Klingons luring the Enterprise away from the planet with forged distress calls, but it gets resolved off-screen. Julie Newmar (the original Catwoman from the Batman TV show) makes a guest appearance as the widow of the tribe's chief who has no interest in her newborn baby and it comes off as very awkward when McCoy is having to try and convince her to care about the child.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Put Matthew Berry on a Star Trek TV show.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Gonz posted:

Put Matthew Berry on a Star Trek TV show.

TNG but with Matt Berry playing Riker.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

I had to watch Nemesis again tonight as a way for a friend to understand STP a bit better.

Yeah, watching it after seeing TWoK makes it much worse. Seeing it after a long long binge of DS9 makes it worse. The Scimitar's bridge is obviously DS9 Ops and I can't unsee it. :gonk:

I don't think it is, they filmed it 2 years after the end of DS9 and looking at pictures side by side while there are a lot of similarities in shapes, no actual parts seem to be reused.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Senor Tron posted:

“YES I CAN HEAR YOU CAPTAIN PICARD”

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Gonz posted:

“YES I CAN HEAR YOU CAPTAIN PICARD”

MR WORF…...….....FI-ER!

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 09:53 on May 25, 2020

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Senor Tron posted:

“Have you seen our ship? It’s loving massive.”

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

"Hello miss. I am Commander Will-i-am Rikaaaaaaare."

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Hello, my name is Will Riker and I came here to get weird.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I'm going to start Voyager soon, is there anything I should know beforehand?

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

CODChimera posted:

I'm going to start Voyager soon, is there anything I should know beforehand?

It is a bit poo poo but occasionally fun. Janeway has bold hair styles & great diction.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Gonz posted:

Put Matthew Perry on a Star Trek TV show.

Could this alert BE any more red?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I picked up a copy of the I, Q audiobook for a buck and finished it yesterday.

I paid too much.

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

CubanMissile posted:

Not completely defanged. Quark has a higher jem’hader body count than probably most Klingons.

4 Jem'hadar personally killed
a further 2 Jem'hadar killed in an operation he led plus 1 captured Vorta
1 Klingon house leader (whose house he temporarily usurped)

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Ferengi assassin in the Magnificent Ferengi should have had a laser whip.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I liked the Ferengi in ds9 but the TNG ones were just bizarre.

Are they in anything else? Itll blow my mind if they keep appearing and everytime they're a completely different tone

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

CODChimera posted:

I liked the Ferengi in ds9 but the TNG ones were just bizarre.

Are they in anything else? Itll blow my mind if they keep appearing and everytime they're a completely different tone

There is an ENT episode where they board the ship, take it over, and act really creepy toward T'Pol, and it was more in line with the TNG tone than the DS9/VOY tone

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

A couple show up in a Voyager episode for some comedy shenanigans.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Kibayasu posted:

A couple show up in a Voyager episode for some comedy shenanigans.

:eng101: It's the same ones who get stranded in the Delta quadrant in the episode of TNG!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Where's the original outtake for this one? I need to see and hear Levar laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

galenanorth posted:

There is an ENT episode where they board the ship, take it over, and act really creepy toward T'Pol, and it was more in line with the TNG tone than the DS9/VOY tone

On my Enterprise rewatch I noticed T'Pol gets threatened with some sort of sexual violence a lot. The Ferengi, Andorians, Orions, renegade Vulcans all seem to have an obsession with T'Pol. It becomes pretty creepy and makes me wonder if someone in the writer's room was indulging us all in their fetish. The only thing that happens more often is Archer getting his dumb rear end captured, which occurs like every third episode.