Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Cat Hatter posted:

Why not? The TVIV Star Trek thread hardly does anything except complain about how terrible Star Trek is and always has been.

um.... we also repeat the same tired jokes over & over. you will find

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
And discuss ships, that’s due to kick off Friday in the cycle.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
v disappointed that self-proclaimed Trekkie Mike 1) had BoBW in his top 5 like a basic casual fan and 2) failed to bring up Family, which is basically BoBW Part 3

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Both places are fine it is you that are bad

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hey Trek people, I need some good Romulan episodes to show a friend who got into Star Trek Online and likes them, what are some good ones? Balance of Terror is a given but what else are there that have interesting Romulan elements.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

Hey Trek people, I need some good Romulan episodes to show a friend who got into Star Trek Online and likes them, what are some good ones? Balance of Terror is a given but what else are there that have interesting Romulan elements.

"The Defector" and "Unification" (both parts) are direct set ups for the Romulan storyline in STO.

Technowolf fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 5, 2020

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
I'm finally watching Nemesis and I described Shinzon's aesthetic within one minute as "bald Neo with shoulderpads squeaking across the room in his holographic leather."

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

sexpig by night posted:

“The Enemy” and “The Defector” from TNG are big ones for establishing the 90s-era Romulans though neither is a super good episode. “Face of the Enemy” really is a good one. I guess there’s also the DS9 two-parter with the Tal Shiar and Obsidian Order getting jointly smoked.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Some other good ones are "The Enemy" (TNG), "The Mind's Eye" (TNG), "The Next Phase" (TNG), "Face of the Enemy" (TNG), "The Chase", and "The Pegasus" (TNG) are also decent Romulan episodes.

E: Quote is not edit, dumbass

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

This thread got me to waste like $80 in real American dollars basically chasing electronic baseball cards.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sash! posted:

This thread got me to waste like $80 in real American dollars basically chasing electronic baseball cards.

oh was this for the attack wing gacha game youtube keeps showing me ads for where starfleet captains accept mercenary contracts to kill klingons in the neutral zone in dumbass ships that don't even have warp nacelles

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The other one where you endlessly run RNG quests to get parts to level your Age of Sail Data but you can't stop because you just got another Sisko you needed.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Sash! posted:

The other one where you endlessly run RNG quests to get parts to level your Age of Sail Data but you can't stop because you just got another Sisko you needed.

I played this for a while and if you sign up for Google Rewards or whatever, you can make enough in Play credit by answering "yes I went to Panera today, yes I payed with a credit card, no you can't see the receipt" once or twice a day, to pay for the fancy reward tiers.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Man, STO would be so much better if they would just port the auto-triggers for abilities from consoles. Like, it still wouldn't be good, but it would at least be a usable space dress-up simulator. As it is, like, ain't nobody got time for five drat hotbars worth of abilities.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I have no idea how you would turn Star Trek into an MMO but you could have easily said the same thing about turning Trek into a FPS and Elite Force was great.

And the MMO has been running forever now so what the hell do I know.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Technowolf posted:

Some other good ones are "The Enemy" (TNG), "The Mind's Eye" (TNG), "The Next Phase" (TNG), "Face of the Enemy" (TNG), "The Chase", and "The Pegasus" (TNG) are also decent Romulan episodes.

E: Quote is not edit, dumbass

Redemption 1 / 2 are also big on Romulan stuff.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arivia posted:

oh was this for the attack wing gacha game youtube keeps showing me ads for where starfleet captains accept mercenary contracts to kill klingons in the neutral zone in dumbass ships that don't even have warp nacelles

I rewatched the ad to be sure and yes, their example Federation ship has no warp nacelles. it seems to have the back END of a warp nacelle as the back of the secondary hull. starships don't work like that and my brain hurts now

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

sexpig by night posted:

on top of those mentioned, Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

8one6 posted:

A CinD movie thread? Let me guess: all the good movies are bad and all the bad movies are good actually.

Until SMG writes a 1500 word essay on how Kirk is drawn to the Tribbles as a metaphore for his toupee and the Enterprise is the audience surrogate while Spock struggles with his latent homosexuality. Half of the thread will take this cue to leave and the other half will swoon and engage.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Dog_Meat posted:

Until SMG writes a 1500 word essay on how Kirk is drawn to the Tribbles as a metaphore for his toupee and the Enterprise is the audience surrogate while Spock struggles with his latent homosexuality. Half of the thread will take this cue to leave and the other half will swoon and engage.

SMG will then, offhandedly, reveal he's never actually watched Star Trek, they just saw a poster for it once.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
SMG’s schtick wears very thin when you realise he’s clearly not watching what he talks about. A lot of his ‘analysis’ depends on him getting (sometimes quite major) plot points wrong. Either he’s terrible at paying attention, only sees what he wants to see when he’s watching, or he’s just going by Wikipedia plot summaries.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Didn't include a christian and/or Marxist reading of the film, 5/10 SMG impersonation.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The_Doctor posted:

SMG’s schtick wears very thin when you realise he’s clearly not watching what he talks about. A lot of his ‘analysis’ depends on him getting (sometimes quite major) plot points wrong. Either he’s terrible at paying attention, only sees what he wants to see when he’s watching, or he’s just going by Wikipedia plot summaries.
Yes I blocked him after he admitted one time that he didn’t watch the thing he had just spent pages arguing about

Like come on now, if you’re going to be a gimmick poster at least put some effort in

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Dog_Meat posted:

"I met those two women once. One of them began her conversation with, "What you Star Trek writers don't understand is that Kirk secretly wants to be raped by Spock." I gnawed off a leg and escaped."
- David Gerrold

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

The_Doctor posted:

He's worth it for the times he does come up with something strikingly insightful, I feel

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

He's worth it for the times he does come up with something strikingly insightful, I feel

Nah, not even vaguely worth it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The_Doctor posted:

Nah, not even vaguely worth it.

Goddamn

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Angry Salami posted:

"I met those two women once. One of them began her conversation with, "What you Star Trek writers don't understand is that Kirk secretly wants to be raped by Spock." I gnawed off a leg and escaped."
- David Gerrold

Marshak and Culbreath were utterly insane.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I keep forgetting how relatively young David Gerrold is for a TOS writer. You’d think all of them would be ancient and dead at this point, but nope, he’s younger than Patrick Stewart. He was only 23 when he wrote The Trouble with Tribbles.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It takes a real galaxy brain to join a student activist group in 1969 and try to shut down meetings until they agree to change their platform to support the Vietnam War.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Marshak and Culbreath were utterly insane.

quote:

Marshak was an avowed Objectivist (a devotee of Ayn Rand) from the age of thirteen, and believed that Star Trek advanced Objectivist ideals. She explained these ideals at several points in Star Trek Lives!

I guess one could be objectivist in a post scarcity society.

Those entries. :aaaaa:

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

How is Stark Trek: The Animated Series?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

sponges posted:

TAS is awesome. The Blu-ray is often on sale.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

sponges posted:

It's the only show that this thread won't recommend that you skip at least half the episodes. Is there even one tas episode that is generally agreed to be crap?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
No, they're all good

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Cat Hatter posted:

It's the only show that this thread won't recommend that you skip at least half the episodes. Is there even one tas episode that is generally agreed to be crap?

I'd say that the episodes that are sequels to TOS episodes aren't great, but I wouldn't recommend skipping them. TAS is great.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Really good Bill Tilley cards this week

https://twitter.com/billtilley1973/status/1291537502457802754?s=19

PS sorry for the bad joke earlier

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I like that episode, so I assume Greatest Gen hated it and just wanted the show to get back to the war instead.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nah they liked it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

SlothfulCobra posted:

So O'Brien is Irish, I guess Keiko is japanese, and Picard is Franglish, but are Ryker, Geordi, Barkley, Crusher, and Pulaski just American?

I guess Worf is really Russian, but he tries his hardest to cover that up. And I guess probably most writers forget that too.

Riker is Canadian.
Geordi is from...Somalia, I think?
Crusher is from space scots.
Barcley is fom a family of Sea Steaders.
Pulaski is from the moon. No, not that one, that one.