Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Riker is Canadian.

Somebody's looking to be trounced at Anbo-jyutsu. Riker is from Alaska.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Epicurius posted:

The Canadians got Alaska in WW3

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The Canadians got Alaska in WW3

If it makes you feel better, Eddington is Canadian.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Been reading Alan Dean Foster's JJ-verse book, The Unsettling Stars. It's pretty good. A decent balance of using the new versions of the characters, while giving them a 'classic' "Star Trek" kind of story. I also enjoy the cameo by ---V'Ger---.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Riker is Canadian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHAFxsdtDbM

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Riker lied on his Starfleet application, they never would've let him in if they knew he was Canadian. The only thing worse than being a Romulan

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cat Hatter posted:

It's the only show that this thread won't recommend that you skip at least half the episodes.

Episode skippers are without honor

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Epicurius posted:

they both get a lot of snow

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Tunicate posted:

they both get a lot of snow

Yeah.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Canada annexed Alaska back in WW3.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Canada annexed Alaska back in WW3.

It was part of the spoils of armistice. Loser got stuck with it

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1291827273046413312?s=20

THR posted:

As Watts looks to see what should be a priority, sources tell THR that Hawley’s project is heading to the lower decks. One reason could be due to a plot centering around a virus that wipes out vast parts of the known universe, a topic that not seen as a good or sensitive fit if you’re making escapist entertainment given the current coronavirus pandemic.
:doh:

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Never make a Star Trek IV, give up on it please. Make better TV.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Very confused now. I thought Hawley was supposed to be working on another JJTrek movie, but that report says he was doing something separate from that.

Just from everything I've heard it doesn't sound like they are getting anywhere with these projects. The last time someone asked Tarantino about his ST project it sounded like it was basically dead.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Thom12255 posted:

Never make a Star Trek IV, give up on it please. Make better TV.

But what if they try to pull another Into Darkness? That would be pretty entertaining.

"You'll never guess who the crew needs to rescue from the past to save the future."
"Is it whales?"
"... The only thing we can tell you is that it isn't whales."
"Ok. Maybe Duras's treacherous father led a coup and they need Kahless to depose him?"
*Time passes*
"Ha! It was totally whales! Aren't you dumb fuckers shocked at that plot twist?"

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Noah Hawley kicks rear end but I can't for the life of me see him doing a good Trek show

e: he might be able to make lemonade out of the sack of probably-rotten lemons that is S31, I guess

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I know he's been dead for almost fifty years but it would have been interesting (if that's the right word) to see Coleman Francis make a Star Trek film.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

That android from "What Are Little Girls Made Of?" Was a snack

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Powered Descent posted:

I know he's been dead for almost fifty years but it would have been interesting (if that's the right word) to see Coleman Francis make a Star Trek film.

Definitely.
Darmok and flag at Tanagra How did it get there?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

Red Zone Cuba but with mirror universe Kirk, Spock, and McCoy instead

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Just had a thought. You could probably make a case that the reason Q introduced the Federation to the Borg early was so Voyager would know what they were coming up against and he knew Voyager was gonna be important for the continuum.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

sponges posted:

That android from "What Are Little Girls Made Of?" Was a snack

Trek has always been pretty hornt up, but Bill Theiss really knew his business.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

Just had a thought. You could probably make a case that the reason Q introduced the Federation to the Borg early was so Voyager would know what they were coming up against and he knew Voyager was gonna be important for the continuum.

Doesn't Q explicitly tell Picard he introduced them early so they'd know what was coming?

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
There's also the First Contact/Enterprise retcon, where the Borg have been flying at mid-warp towards Earth for 200 years already, having received signals from the borg that traveled back in time. We were never going to run into them like Q implied, they were coming for us.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

curiousTerminal posted:

There's also the First Contact/Enterprise retcon, where the Borg have been flying at mid-warp towards Earth for 200 years already, having received signals from the borg that traveled back in time. We were never going to run into them like Q implied, they were coming for us.

Well those Borg were only able to travel back in time because Q introduced the Enterprise to the Borg in the first place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_-ZoO87KpY

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Getting towards the end of TOS-

The Tholian Web (rewatch)- Just pure classic Trek. One of the stronger episodes that uses the Kirk/Spock/McCoy relationship as a driving part of the plot. Like with some of the other classics it manages to keep things moving fast and also keep the tension going. The back and forth between Spock and McCoy about Spock's decision to stay and try to save Kirk is a good debate. I do find it funny that the story of the Defiant from this episode has persisted from TOS to ENT and then recently to Discovery.

Plato's Stepchildren- This is probably the worst TOS episode I've seen, or at least in the bottom three. To be honest I knew nothing about this episode beyond the famous Kirk/Uhura kiss and I think that is also pretty overrated anyway after finally seeing it. Almost nothing happens in this episode and it just drags on and on. Just a lot of silly poo poo with the amoral leader of this planet making Kirk, Spock, and McCoy do things for his amusement which seem to never end. I did think that the scenes with the dwarf character Alexander were the only parts of interest here. He at least seems to have more dimensions than the other guest characters. There's really no reason to watch this episode, other than for the famous kiss, which is in the last 5 minutes or so of a huge slog of an episode.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The Indian in the Cupboard

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Cross-Section posted:

Red Zone Q

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Trek has always been pretty hornt up, but Bill Theiss really knew his business.

It's kinda funny that Theiss had the whole theory that an outfit was sexier if it looked like it was going to fall off, but then when TNG-era Trek wanted a sexy costume, it kept going with catsuits that weren't coming off without a few hours preparation.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Cross-Section posted:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

Getting towards the end of TOS-

The Tholian Web (rewatch)- Just pure classic Trek. One of the stronger episodes that uses the Kirk/Spock/McCoy relationship as a driving part of the plot. Like with some of the other classics it manages to keep things moving fast and also keep the tension going. The back and forth between Spock and McCoy about Spock's decision to stay and try to save Kirk is a good debate. I do find it funny that the story of the Defiant from this episode has persisted from TOS to ENT and then recently to Discovery.

Plato's Stepchildren- This is probably the worst TOS episode I've seen, or at least in the bottom three. To be honest I knew nothing about this episode beyond the famous Kirk/Uhura kiss and I think that is also pretty overrated anyway after finally seeing it. Almost nothing happens in this episode and it just drags on and on. Just a lot of silly poo poo with the amoral leader of this planet making Kirk, Spock, and McCoy do things for his amusement which seem to never end. I did think that the scenes with the dwarf character Alexander were the only parts of interest here. He at least seems to have more dimensions than the other guest characters. There's really no reason to watch this episode, other than for the famous kiss, which is in the last 5 minutes or so of a huge slog of an episode.

What's unintentionally hilarious about Plato's Stepchildren is that Kirk spends the entire episode convincing Alexander that they don't care about differences; to them, he's just another person regardless of his height.

Then at the end of the episode Kirk makes that poorly thought out crack about having a "little surprise" for Scotty. In an episode full of ridiculous moments, that was probably one of the worst because it undermined one of the episode's messages.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Angry Salami posted:

It's kinda funny that Theiss had the whole theory that an outfit was sexier if it looked like it was going to fall off, but then when TNG-era Trek wanted a sexy costume, it kept going with catsuits that weren't coming off without a few hours preparation.

didn't theiss do costume design for at least the first part of TNG anyway?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Arivia posted:

didn't theiss do costume design for at least the first part of TNG anyway?

First season, yes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

What's unintentionally hilarious about Plato's Stepchildren is that Kirk spends the entire episode convincing Alexander that they don't care about differences; to them, he's just another person regardless of his height.

Then at the end of the episode Kirk makes that poorly thought out crack about having a "little surprise" for Scotty. In an episode full of ridiculous moments, that was probably one of the worst because it undermined one of the episode's messages.
I cringed when he did that, it was so dumb

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Plato’s Stepchildren isn’t fun to watch and has no actual point but I respect its willingness to get fuckin’ weird. It’s almost Lynchian. The interracial kiss pales against Horse Kirk and Bitter Dregs.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

skasion posted:

Plato’s Stepchildren isn’t fun to watch and has no actual point but I respect its willingness to get fuckin’ weird. It’s almost Lynchian. The interracial kiss pales against Horse Kirk and Bitter Dregs.
90% of the episode is the leader of the Platonians loving with Kirk and Spock and it's just boring as hell

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I understand it being "boring" in the sense of nothing much happening, but William Shatner neighing like a horse will be forever in my memories. They tried oddly hard to milk drama out of Spock maybe stepping on Kirk though

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Sir Lemming posted:

They tried oddly hard to milk drama out of Spock maybe stepping on Kirk though
Yeah that whole part was very strange

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Started watching Enterprise cause it's on Netflix and I figured I might as well.

After watching episode 3, Strange New World, where they find a new earth-like planet and take zero precautions, I fully understand why the Vulcans "held humans back" from advancing their warp tech.

Other thoughts: I like the doc. Episode 4 (Unexpected) having that whole bit where Trip was experiencing weird poo poo on the alien ship that really did turn out to be nothing was...odd? Like i guess they were trying to create some tension with the motives of the aliens, but it came across a bit weird I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I really liked that, to a pretty good extent, the Vulcans were right about humans being stupid space babies. But eventually humanity’s natural insanity becomes an asset.