Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
What if that really embarrassing thing in high school was my own death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
"We don't study that orb anymore. We just trick the new guys into opening it and experiencing a medley of every time they ever sat on their own balls."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sisko found the orb of elevation.
Press A in mid air to jump a second time

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

More TOS-

Wink of an Eye- I have never heard any discussion of this episode. I guess it's not very memorable, but I thought the concept was at least interesting. I'm not sure, but I feel like Shatner was either very tired or sloshed when filming this. He constantly seems off the whole time. As other reviewers have pointed out, it doesn't really make sense that the aliens manage to hitch a ride on the transporter without anyone noticing, and it makes even less sense that the transporter would be able to even detect them when they are moving at an infinitely accelerated speed relative to regular time. There isn't really a satisfying conclusion and it seems like Kirk is leaving the five of this species to die on their planet at the end.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

More TOS-

Wink of an Eye- I have never heard any discussion of this episode. I guess it's not very memorable, but I thought the concept was at least interesting. I'm not sure, but I feel like Shatner was either very tired or sloshed when filming this. He constantly seems off the whole time. As other reviewers have pointed out, it doesn't really make sense that the aliens manage to hitch a ride on the transporter without anyone noticing, and it makes even less sense that the transporter would be able to even detect them when they are moving at an infinitely accelerated speed relative to regular time. There isn't really a satisfying conclusion and it seems like Kirk is leaving the five of this species to die on their planet at the end.

I want to like this episode, but it lacks....something. I've never quite been able to figure out what. The concept is interesting and should work, but it falls flat for some reason.

The ending is weird. The Scalosians go to all this trouble to attract the attention of the Enterprise crew, even kidnapping the captain. But then Kirk just leaves them on their planet without resolving anything about their issue and that's that. It's not as bad as the "little surprise" ending of Plato's Stepchildren, but it's pretty poor writing. At least the By Any Other Name aliens extracted a promise that their issues would be brought before the Federation Council.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

John Wick of Dogs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdEFCzMNPa0

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

More TOS-

The only things worth discussing in Wink of an Eye are 1) Voyager’s rip-off of it is significantly better than the original episode for once, and 2) they somehow managed to slip in a scene that practically screams “Kirk just had sex with an alien” that’s WAY more unsubtle than the average, practically scandalous by the standards of its day.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Now I want a DS9 Metroidvania set in the Lost underground city. You have to fight various beasts possessed by pah wraiths for bosses, the place is crawling with Jem Hadar and Cardassians. You upgrade your Starfleet equipment and get orb abilities

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Now I want a DS9 Metroidvania set in the Lost underground city. You have to fight various beasts possessed by pah wraiths for bosses, the place is crawling with Jem Hadar and Cardassians. You upgrade your Starfleet equipment and get orb abilities

There actually was a DS9 action platformer for SNES

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I want to like this episode, but it lacks....something. I've never quite been able to figure out what. The concept is interesting and should work, but it falls flat for some reason.

The ending is weird. The Scalosians go to all this trouble to attract the attention of the Enterprise crew, even kidnapping the captain. But then Kirk just leaves them on their planet without resolving anything about their issue and that's that. It's not as bad as the "little surprise" ending of Plato's Stepchildren, but it's pretty poor writing. At least the By Any Other Name aliens extracted a promise that their issues would be brought before the Federation Council.
The episode seemed very similar to By Any Other Name. It was the same deal with these aliens taking over the ship and one of them falls in love with Kirk, and there ends up being a conflict between the lead male alien and Kirk over the woman. In both episodes the episode just kind of ends.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

skasion posted:

There actually was a DS9 action platformer for SNES

Is that the one that's a bunch of Sisko sprinting around the station defusing bombs?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Cat Hatter posted:

Is that the one that's a bunch of Sisko sprinting around the station defusing bombs?
Yes I remember renting it as a kid and not getting very far

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Cat Hatter posted:

"We don't study that orb anymore. We just trick the new guys into opening it and experiencing a medley of every time they ever sat on their own balls."

I really appreciate this.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Roadie posted:

How could you forget Groppler Zorn? He's truly one of the defining tragic figures of Next Generation.

True story, for 20 years I thought he was played by William Sanderson.

Alchenar posted:

Encounter at Farpoint is a full TOS episode. The captain is captured by a godlike alien entity and given a riddle to solve otherwise there will be 'consequences'. The solution to the riddle involves a moral lesson.

Now I want to read a version of that episode starring the TOS cast.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You only get to use the orb of parallel dimensions if you’re already holding A down when you grab it.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes I remember renting it as a kid and not getting very far

I borrowed the Genesis version from my best friend. I absolutely hate the waterfall level about halfway through the game.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

After watching the TOS episode with Trelayne it was clear that Q was very, very heavily influenced by that character

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kibayasu posted:

You only get to use the orb of parallel dimensions if you’re already holding A down when you grab it.

BATSMAN: Aggressive. Adversarial. 
SISKO: Competition. For fun. It's a game that Jake and I play on the Nintendo It's called Mario 64.
JAKE: Mario 64? What is this?
SISKO: I was afraid you'd ask that. So, consider Wing Mario Over the Rainbow, not even the whole star, just getting to the cannon platform, which is a necessary part of getting the star. So, how many A presses does it take to get there? Well, if you say zero that’s wrong because then Mario can’t go far enough. If you say one, well, it’s true that Mario can get there with one, but we can do better. We can get there in half an A press.
BATSMAN: An A press is an A press, you can’t say it’s only a half!
SISKO: Well, hear me out. An A press actually has three parts to it, when A is pressed, when A is held, and when A is released. Now, usually is the pressing that’s useful because that’s the only part that makes Mario jump, however, sometimes it’s sufficient to just use the holding part, which allows Mario to do little kicks, to swim underwater, to fall slowly while twirling and to fall slowly with the wing cap.
JAKE: So, how many presses is that total?
SISKO: That may be the most important thing to understand about humans. We can actually do it in three by simply holding out the first A press to be used for the half A press, because the half A press only required A to be held, not actually pressed, so in this fashion, Wing Mario Over the Rainbow only adds on an additional two A presses to the run, since the first A press just leeches off the previous A press, so to capture this phenomenon, we call it 2.5 A presses. And that is why I am here. Not to conquer you either with weapons or with ideas, but to co-exist and learn.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
TACTICAL: But this is your existence.
SISKO: But it's difficult to be here, more difficult than any other memory.
TACTICAL: Why?
SISKO: Because, because this was the day that I found out Jennifer was in another castle. I don't want to be here.
JENNIFER: Then why do you exist here?
SISKO: I don't understand.
JENNIFER: You exist here.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

I wouldn't say I love it, but I also thought Farpoint was a decent episode and sets up TNG quite nicely. Sure it's janky, but that's not exactly uncommon with pilots.

Every so often I'll catch Encounter at Farpoint and the most jarring part for me is the overly dramatic and omnipresent background music. Really takes me out of the Star Trek mood.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

poolside toaster posted:

Every so often I'll catch Encounter at Farpoint and the most jarring part for me is the overly dramatic and omnipresent background music. Really takes me out of the Star Trek mood.

I will take over the top any day over late TNG's sonic wallpaper.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
like come on if you can't do over the top music in a space opera then where the gently caress can you do it

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I will take over the top any day over late TNG's sonic wallpaper.
[violin, sotto] Deeeeeee...
[horn, sotto] Ba-da-bum-ba-bum...
[repeat ad infinitum]

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Some of the early TNG tracks were wild. Like synth 80s horror movie poo poo. I miss them now that I'm into season 5.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's a shame they didn't make more use of the Jerry Goldsmith theme within the show's actual soundtrack. I wonder if that was somehow a financial thing or they just didn't want to. I feel like DS9 used its theme a bunch.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Thinking about it, the only score that sticks in my mind from any post-Ron Jones Berman-era Trek is the Species 8472 fanfare from 'Scorpion'. Everything else is just... nothing.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Cat Hatter posted:

Ouch, My Orbs!

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Cat Hatter posted:

Including times that haven't even occurred yet. Gives you something to look forward to.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sir Lemming posted:

It's a shame they didn't make more use of the Jerry Goldsmith theme within the show's actual soundtrack. I wonder if that was somehow a financial thing or they just didn't want to. I feel like DS9 used its theme a bunch.

It was a Berman thing. Dennis McCarthy mentioned in an interview that Berman came down hard on any attempt to do motifs or to lean too hard on any particular theme.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

its always berman. somehow, still, now

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

It was a Berman thing. Dennis McCarthy mentioned in an interview that Berman came down hard on any attempt to do motifs or to lean too hard on any particular theme.

OTOH the fact that they just straight-up play the opening theme during the saucer separation scene is jarring as hell, and I'm glad that concept did not pan out.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The slowed down DS9 main theme during the last shot of Jake looking out the Pomenade windows and lamenting about how poorly written and rushed the Pah-Wraith storyline was in S7 definitely always does it for me.

Other Trek motifs are... less memorable.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

OTOH the fact that they just straight-up play the opening theme during the saucer separation scene is jarring as hell, and I'm glad that concept did not pan out.

Pfffft naw, I liked that. I mean the scene as a whole is unnecessary in a few ways, and maybe a different arrangement of the theme would've been better. But like, they didn't even use the theme in "All Good Things". C'mon!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Berman coming down on the music happened about Season 3, IIRC? With Best of Both Worlds being the last time they were able to really go at it with the music, after that it was all just 'sonic wallpaper'. Seasons 1 and 2 have some very noticeable music in them.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Man, if Best of Both worlds would have had watered down music, that would have ruined a good portion of that two parter.

One of the few things Picard got really right was working in motifs of older music in at relevant times.

Original TOS theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07IEaJ1rYwg

Picard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDpo4oSlzjM&t=109s

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’m not crazy about Russo’s themes, but his incidental stuff has been solid. You really need a big bombastic Goldsmith or Giacchino for the intro though. Or just hire the guy who did The Orville’s intro, that thing is so good I never skip it.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I took the advice ITT and skipped the first two seasons of TNG. Season 3 is a big improvement. I liked the episode with the archaeologist mom getting killed and the alien energy taking her form.

Wil Wheaton is a terrible actor lol

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I took the advice ITT and skipped the first two seasons of TNG. Season 3 is a big improvement. I liked the episode with the archaeologist mom getting killed and the alien energy taking her form.

Wil Wheaton is a terrible actor lol

Seriously though make sure you watch the season 2 episodes Measure of a Man and Q-Who.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 13, 2020

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

MikeJF posted:

Seriously though make sure you watch the season 2 episodes Measure of a Man and Q-Who.

Excellent advice. In particular, make sure you watch Q Who before you get to the finale of season 3 (The Best of Both Worlds).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006