Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Nessus posted:

Does Okuda cop to stealing the loving Overthruster from Buckaroo???

TNG prop guy Greg Jein designed the Overthruster for Buckaroo Banzai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCHzNSWrliQ

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think there's also a whole thing of the original series going for an aesthetic that modern eyes don't like. It's specifically exaggerating color instead of muting it or shifting to teal/orange. It looks fantastical in a way that modern designers really don't like doing. Maybe also there's the fact that they're exaggerating color with broken color technology so that it's a really weird palette.

The things they did with just throwing wild colored lights are amazing. Like it would never fly today, but you just kind of accepted it watching TOS. It really stands out if you visit the set recreations in Ticonderoga (highly recommended).

Unmature
May 9, 2008
In case you’re wondering Wrath of Kahn is still good. And recommending How Much For Just The Planet? again because the banter is as good as I’ve ever seen in any Trek. Very funny without being too goofy or out of character. Definitely gonna check out some more stuff by John M. Ford.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Unmature posted:

In case you’re wondering Wrath of Kahn is still good. And recommending How Much For Just The Planet? again because the banter is as good as I’ve ever seen in any Trek. Very funny without being too goofy or out of character. Definitely gonna check out some more stuff by John M. Ford.

38 years later, the character's name is literally on-screen as the title of the movie, and people still can't spell "Khan." :mad:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Timby posted:

38 years later, the character's name is literally on-screen as the title of the movie, and people still can't spell "Khan." :mad:

38 years later and we still act like we're cheating on each other with each other. 38 years later and he still pwns my brown/pink space nebula

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

John Wick of Dogs posted:

38 years later and we still act like we're cheating on each other with each other. 38 years later and he still pwns my brown/pink space nebula
It's really inappropriate when Garak tweets out his sex stuff with Bashir

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Timby posted:

My phone changed it!

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Timby posted:

i expect more from fans of star track

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Drink-Mix Man posted:

i expect more from fans of star track

lol, I don't

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Timby posted:

They're probably thankful for that, considering how often they re-used that Bird of Prey footage in TNG and DS9.

I thought the BoP footage was mostly from ST3, which is why it held up so well.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nessus posted:

Does Okuda cop to stealing the loving Overthruster from Buckaroo???

There are a shitload of Buckaroo Banzai references in the various Okudagrams. The TNG art department was full of nerds.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Sternbach based not one, but two major props off of an anime robot from Dirty Pair:

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Buckaroo Banzai wasn't a good movie, but it had some cool ideas. Buckaroo's whole thing (jamming with his band after doing brain surgery, the whole support network concept) was pretty cool, and the credits scene where everyone's walking down the flood drain is a really cool moment.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

There are a shitload of Buckaroo Banzai references in the various Okudagrams. The TNG art department was full of nerds.

It's an enduring department for nerds, even today.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SardonicTyrant posted:

Buckaroo Banzai wasn't a good movie, but it had some cool ideas. Buckaroo's whole thing (jamming with his band after doing brain surgery, the whole support network concept) was pretty cool, and the credits scene where everyone's walking down the flood drain is a really cool moment.
Mods??

And yeah, TNG had some real early-age anime heads on it. Of course they probably had better access, being on the west coast, but there's a bunch of this in the Technical Guide. They named the whales after the lead from Gunbuster, they refer to the crystals in phasers with a Nadia of Blue Water joke... gently caress, all this stuff was before Evangelion.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Unmature posted:

I really liked The Final Reflection.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

It had a cool premise, it's just the movie's kind of boring. It needed to be faster and punchier.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

John Wick of Dogs posted:

From Hell's Heart, I stab at thee

and I don't have a knife

and I don't mean metaphorically :quagmire:

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Just started Search for Spock for the first time. Five and a half minutes in and we’ve only seen footage from WOK including the titlecard.

EDIT: Oh good christ, Uhura’s hair

EDIT EDIT: Boy considering how much I like TMP more than most people I was really hoping to enjoy that a lot more. Was mostly pretty bored throughout and was waiting for them to get to the Spock factory the whole time. I didn’t really connect with anyone, even Kirk after the first hour or so. The Saavik replacement is super distracting after Alley is so good in WOK. And that movie is uuuugly as poo poo. Or at least just boring looking not as cool visually as 1 and 2. I’d take the TMP pajamas over most of what was going on here.
My fiancée really liked it though.

Unmature fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Sep 27, 2020

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
The only parts of ST III that do anything for me are Stealing the Enterprise, the destruction of the Enterprise :cry: , and "Jim. Your name is Jim." But boy, those parts.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Number_6 posted:

The only parts of ST III that do anything for me are Stealing the Enterprise, the destruction of the Enterprise :cry: , and "Jim. Your name is Jim." But boy, those parts.

Doc Brown the Klingon was good too. I can't think of anyone else off the top of my head that tells Kirk that he's full of poo poo when he tries to bluff them.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Number_6 posted:

The "how many fingers am I holding up" Vulcan salute remains a banger of a sight gag.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Drone posted:

The "how many fingers am I holding up" Vulcan salute remains a banger of a sight gag.

That's not very drat funny :colbert:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
One of the parts I find kind of endearing about Star Trek III is just how cheap the Excelsior's bridge looks.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Unmature posted:

I love that book. Did you catch the cameos? The stage manager Neil (black turtleneck) is based on an old buddy of Ford's, last name Gaiman. Barely anyone knew who he was in the US back then. DeeDee and Pete are based on fellow Trek writers Diane Duane and Peter Morwood (who I recommend if you enjoyed Ford). There's a few others.

The Final Reflection is completely different tonally. Far more meditative. Extremely worthwhile. Discovery was supposed to go that direction with its Klingons, but couldn't carry it off after Bryan whatsisface bailed to work on American Gods for... Gaiman, sigh.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

nine-gear crow posted:

One of the parts I find kind of endearing about Star Trek III is just how cheap the Excelsior's bridge looks.

The whole movie looks cheap, which is amazing considering its budget was about 22 percent higher than Wrath of Khan's. I guess there's a reason Charles Correll never shot another movie.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
A minimal amount of extra detailing would have made a huge difference to the look of the Excelsior's bridge in III. But instead there's that enormous sweep of nothing at the top of the screen. I get that they were going for minimalist and high-tech, but yeah - it just looks cheap.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Kesper North posted:

I love that book. Did you catch the cameos? The stage manager Neil (black turtleneck) is based on an old buddy of Ford's, last name Gaiman. Barely anyone knew who he was in the US back then. DeeDee and Pete are based on fellow Trek writers Diane Duane and Peter Morwood (who I recommend if you enjoyed Ford). There's a few others.

The Final Reflection is completely different tonally. Far more meditative. Extremely worthwhile. Discovery was supposed to go that direction with its Klingons, but couldn't carry it off after Bryan whatsisface bailed to work on American Gods for... Gaiman, sigh.

I haven’t read any Morwood yet, but I have a couple Diane Duane books on the way. I love the way the Klingons are portrayed in HMFJTP?. Just being a regular crew who are kind of ornery but still get down to business like the captain having a drink with Kirk during their downtime.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

The_Doctor posted:

Oh this is amazing. Someone on FB is selling this for $450. Apparently it’s super rare, especially in this condition. I wasn’t even aware of its existence, but it’s kind of a no-brainer considering the Defiant’s shape. I love the random pictures on the right of the box’s back. Car! Woman in the sea! And here’s you sitting at your desk, nerd.

Zaroff posted:

This was offered as part of a promo with the DS9 S6 / Voyager S4 VHS releases in the UK - if you got all 26 tapes (so costing about £260 in 1998) then you could send the coupons within and get a Defiant discman (more than likely for a nominal charge).

I'm genuinely curious how many people sent off for this, and if they had either a huge number of unclaimed CD players or insufficient stock?

You could also straight up buy these at least in the US for a mere $159.95. I went and dug out one of my old copies of Star Trek Communicator from around First Contact.

But that's not why I went digging. From back when you guys were saying that the Enterprise-E should have had forward swept nacelles, that was almost what they went with until they decided it looked like a turkey.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Prometheus takes a lot of cues from that original Sovereign concept.

I'm just laughing at paying the equivalent of almost $270 now to buy that Walkman though. Wow.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cat Hatter posted:

You could also straight up buy these at least in the US for a mere $159.95. I went and dug out one of my old copies of Star Trek Communicator from around First Contact.

But that's not why I went digging. From back when you guys were saying that the Enterprise-E should have had forward swept nacelles, that was almost what they went with until they decided it looked like a turkey.

Oh Eaves, you coward. I've seen these -E concepts before and yes, it DOES look better with the forward swept nacelle pylons.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

E: wrong thread

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh Eaves, you coward. I've seen these -E concepts before and yes, it DOES look better with the forward swept nacelle pylons.

Ehhhh... I hate to agree with Eaves on this one but I think the forward swept pylons look bad.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Prometheus' nacelle pylons are not nearly as forward sweeping as that Enterprise-E concept, but I would have been fine if they had done that on the E.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I don't like the swept-forward nacelles because they make the ship look dopey at its worst angles, and too aggressive from its best.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
All Star Trek spaceships should just be the default untextured cubes you get when you first open Blender

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

The Vulcans had the right idea all along with their ringships, I think. Nacelles? Pylons? Just asking for trouble.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HD DAD posted:

All Star Trek spaceships should just be the default untextured cubes you get when you first open Blender

Your extrusions and subdivisions will be added to our own...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

skasion posted:

Send it to CBS

The prophets are more than pretty hosed up, they’re all the way hosed up, even more so than regular godlike energy beings. I feel that they could have leaned into this more, but even as is there’s something kind of Lovecraftian about them. They’re very alien aliens in a universe that rarely does that, they don’t really get any of the concepts that motivate humans (or Bajorans, Cardassians, etc) except at the moments those people shout those concepts in their faces.

TNG ends with Q telling picard that there is more out there than exploring the stars

maybe the writers of DS9 didnt know exactly where ever story was going but they set themselves up nicely

I think the prophets and the emissary needed to be more in the story in the early seasons, we do not see the power that The Sisko really has

I always thought that making The Sisko one of the prophets was a bit lazy and the Par Wraith stuff needed more time to build

I watched Sons of Moguh recently because Tony Todd is awesome and saw he has a Voyager credit so I am going to check that out too. The problem with Kurn in DS9 is that the morality of the Federation says assisted suicide is wrong but erasing his mind is fine. That is crazy. Dax and Bashir stop a klingon ritual to save kurns life but later erase his memory. So on the organ donor card where can I check do not erase my memory. The Hippocratic Oath must not be updated for mind rape