Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Gordon Shumway posted:

On the subject of Pulaski, why was Gates McFadden taken off the show during the second season? I think I read the story behind that once but I've forgotten.

Sexual harassment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

curiousTerminal posted:

Meanwhile, books. Unless they count turning pages as interactivity.

In the future, much like today, books are still the primary way of pretending you're superior to people by saying you read them.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

And they probably don't read anything that isn't Shakespeare or technical manuals because they can't prove how superior they are if all they read are some trashy fantasy novels.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Eighties ZomCom posted:

When they go back to the 90's in Voyager, Kneelix is watching a bunch of soap operas while Kim is all "Ugh it's so boring , you can't even interact with it :rolleyes:" so it's just seems like they can't fathom enjoying something you can't interact with.

Now I'm just imagining Kim on the Enterprise, sitting in the audience of one of the plays Crusher's always putting on, looking like a petulant child after everyone shushes him for heckling the performers and interrupting the show.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
The only thing I need to know about the Star Trek economy is if any of the recipes for things made by the horrible capitalist companies have survived.
Like can I walk up to a replicator and say “Diet Coke” or “Gatorade Zero, orange”

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The board of directors to the companies are all Ferengi with like, one cryogenically-frozen Coca-Cola exec from the late 21st century acting as ceremonial chairperson

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Computer, McRib, lukewarm

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

But the honest truth is all the major Earth corporations (y'know all three of 'em) threw in with the more fascistic factions of WW3 and at the end of it their executives got shipped off to a Vulcan correctional facility when the nascent United Earth government washed their hands of them

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
"Why? He wasn't Ronald McDonald! Why?"
"He's a McDonald's cashier. That's reason enough."
"No… It's not."

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

In my headcanon the official cola of the Federation is RC Cola; the formula for Coca-Cola was lost during the Eugenics Wars, while PepsiCo was forcibly nationalized by Colonel Green in 2052, who sent all the former executives to die in the extermination camps outside Duluth on the grounds that they produced a, quote, "impure beverage".

Unmature
May 9, 2008
“Computer, I have a coupon for ten spicy nuggets”
“EXPIRED”
“Come on!”

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Marshal Radisic posted:

In my headcanon the official cola of the Federation is RC Cola; the formula for Coca-Cola was lost during the Eugenics Wars, while PepsiCo was forcibly nationalized by Colonel Green in 2052, who sent all the former executives to die in the extermination camps outside Duluth on the grounds that they produced a, quote, "impure beverage".

But they would choose Dr Pepper over Mr Pibb on the grounds that he’s made an effort to better himself.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Hm.

https://comicbook.com/startrek/news/star-trek-new-series-expansion-2027/

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

something something Trek fatigue, bad idea to have two Star Trek series airing simultaneously followed almost immediately by a prequel

the fields are barren and nothing will ever grow again, until decades later when a bean sprout timidly pokes its head above the dirt

gotta milk that cow 'til keels over and you don't have a cow anymore, that's the 21st century way. I stopped watching Discovery, I'll be watching the second season of Picard, and Lower Decks is great. More than three series airing at once is ridiculous, though.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 13, 2020

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Sir Lemming posted:

"Why? He wasn't Ronald McDonald! Why?"
"He's a McDonald's cashier. That's reason enough."
"No… It's not."

* In an extremely Ricardo Montalban voice *
"On Earth... 200 years ago... I was a fast food executive. We served billions and billions."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/joebiden/status/1316072710485676034?s=21

Unmature
May 9, 2008
This is the most upsetting page in the history of this thread

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

galenanorth posted:

something something Trek fatigue, bad idea to have two Star Trek series airing simultaneously followed almost immediately by a prequel

the fields are barren and nothing will ever grow again, until decades later when a bean sprout timidly pokes its head above the dirt

gotta milk that cow 'til keels over and you don't have a cow anymore, that's the 21st century way. I stopped watching Discovery, I'll be watching the second season of Picard, and Lower Decks is great. More than three series airing at once is ridiculous, though.
Those shows will be airing in waves though. Like we’re getting Disco and LD now, then probably Picard and S31 next year

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

In JJTrek Uhura orders a bud light or michelob or some poo poo at the bar, so at the very least formulas have survived in some capacity.

Also inb4 CBS renames their service Star Trek All Access

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
In the future, everybody uses their replicators to create Cracker Barrel hashbrown casserole. And also Rice Krispies treats.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I was thinking how we’ve pretty much gotten used to seasons of American-produced television shows now following the more BBC model of “you’ll get 10 episodes when we get around to making them”. It really makes the 3 month wait between Berman-era Trek seasons seem super quaint.

Wasn’t it around the time of the 2008 writer’s strike that we started to see the shorter seasons/longer wait trend?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

HD DAD posted:

I was thinking how we’ve pretty much gotten used to seasons of American-produced television shows now following the more BBC model of “you’ll get 10 episodes when we get around to making them”. It really makes the 3 month wait between Berman-era Trek seasons seem super quaint.

Wasn’t it around the time of the 2008 writer’s strike that we started to see the shorter seasons/longer wait trend?

Yeah a little while after that they started the whole “half a Mad Men/Breaking Bad season now, half in like 6 months” which evolved into the Netflix style “you’ll get it when it’s done.” There’s no more seasonal structure to TV unless you’re like The Simpsons.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

As subscription services take over the way they make revenue has changed.

In the traditional model where all the money comes from advertisers more episodes equals more ads equals more money.

Now if someone subscribes to their service the goal is to keep them subscribing, but beyond that it doesn't help you if they watch more content.

So all the services produce shorter seasons targeted at different parts of the potential subscriber base at different times of the year, aiming to hit that sweet spot in the curve of content produced versus subscribers drawn in.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

We're also ending up with shows having shorter runs in general. Netflix has gotten into the habit of canning less popular shows after 2 or 3 seasons due to how they structure their production deals with outside parties as well as analytics. The more seasons a show is on the more Netflix has to pay everyone to keep producing it, while the metrics show that longer-running shows tend to not pick up more viewers, meaning that from Netflix's perspective a 2-3 season show of 50 episodes is a better investment that a 6+ season show with over 100 episodes. Dunno what this means for Trek; other streaming services are adopting similar strategies, but I don't know what Paramount's game plan is.

Marshal Radisic fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 14, 2020

Unmature
May 9, 2008
A second season also means people get bumped up in union positions and get pay boosts. This has also led to a lot of shows having two “seasons” when it’s purchased and produced as one season and released in two chunks. That’s one of the reasons why so many shows seem to be automatically renewed for season two and then we wait for three. Like Harley Quinn.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Did anyone in this thread buy any Star Trek wine?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Not wine but one of my friends gifted me a bottle of James T. Kirk bourbon, which according to the reviewer seems to be a sub-par whiskey.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Did anyone watch the Biden thing? Worth watching?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

A Pakled: "We look for things that make us go... to the polls."

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Unmature posted:

The only thing I need to know about the Star Trek economy is if any of the recipes for things made by the horrible capitalist companies have survived.
Like can I walk up to a replicator and say “Diet Coke” or “Gatorade Zero, orange”

"Computer, Surge."

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Only senior officers have the command codes necessary to replicate original Four Loko.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Delsaber posted:

Only senior officers have the command codes necessary to replicate original Four Loko.

"Computer, tea, earl gray and Four Loko, hot."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

'Coke, but I travelled to mexico to buy it'

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Computer, create an acoustically-perfect listening room. One chair in the center, diffusers along the walls, bass soakers in the corners, and a scratchy Ella Fitzgerald vinyl record playing through a power-conditioned vacuum tube amplifier and inch-thick copper cables to two extremely mediocre speakers. Oh, and a glass of overpriced scotch, too.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Computer, run program: Chuck_E_Cheese1996

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
With the holodeck stuff, it feels like all the writers gradually forgot that it was supposed to be new and impressive around the time of TNG S1, until by Voyager you've got adult crew who grew up with holoprograms that somehow existed way before the new and shiny Enterprise-D holodeck.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Unmature posted:

Computer, run program: Chuck_E_Cheese1996

Worf is not amused when there is authentic vomit in the ball pit.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Gonz posted:

Worf is not amused when there is authentic vomit in the ball pit.

Data joins the animatronic band

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Unmature posted:

Data joins the animatronic band

I'm just picturing Picard sitting alone at a kids table with a party hat on staring down at a large pepperoni pizza forlornly while Data rocks out all herky-jerky with the band behind him just out of focus.

This is what he does every week while everyone else goes up to Riker's quarters and plays poker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Also, Q shows up and cheats at Skee-Ball.

He uses all the tickets he won to trade for a day-glo 90's plasma ball and a bunch of licorice ropes.