Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

Here's the roles I've seen Brent Spiner play:

Data
Bob Wheeler
Patrick Stewart

What about the guy in Dude Where’s My Car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

SlothfulCobra posted:

Data
Bob Wheeler
Patrick Stewart

He was in Cheers, too.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

He also played a male version of Lilith in a Frasier episode and chunky Hawaiian shirt Data/Alien strangler voice in Independence Day.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Down to just three more to go in TOS

The Cloud Minders- I thought this episode was alright, even if it ends in kind of a shrug. It's a little weird to have a planet mentioned as a member of the Federation that has a class system like this. On TNG it gets repeated ad-nausea that the Federation does not admit planets that have these kinds of class divides or that are not a united government. Presumably the standards changed in the time period between TOS/TNG. The story doesn't really seem to want you to sympathize with either side in this class conflict which makes it a bit strange. Clearly the people in Stratos are not supposed to be looked at well, with how they mistreat the Troglytes and even torture them into compliance, but the Troglytes are also painted as violent and extremists to some degree. That is later explained by the fact that a gas in the mines that they work causes them to become more aggressive, but that is eventually solved at the end by Kirk giving them these filter masks to wear so that they are no longer exposed to the gas. The problem here is that despite this obvious injustice of having one class that does all of the labor, and one class that gets to experience the fruit of that labor, Kirk never seems too concerned about this, especially at the end. Apparently the original story that this episode is based on written by Trek writer David Gerrold was much more explicit that it was a metaphor for apartheid/segregation, but a lot of that was changed by the time the story was modified for the actual episode.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Spiner was in this show called Outcast and played a super creep

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Begrudgingly got through "Melora" last night. It's a boring as hell episode, but I'm still thankful it wasn't first-half-of-S1 Bashir, which would've made it truly intolerable. The characters are good enough by now to weather an otherwise awful episode. She really was an aggressively unlikeable character though. And of course it was like a super expensive episode because of the zero gravity stuff and her little exoskeleton thing. What a waste. Still, Klingon chef.

Also, what was it with them around this time where they would just title an episode the name of a character? Ensign Ro, Dax, Melora. And that one is just a real name!

"Rules of Acquisition" was so much better though. It's so cool how they started planning out the whole Dominion thing here.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrfUQMiFPNc

I think whoever made the Enterprise opening credits was heavily inspired by the first couple of minutes of this video.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Much like the rest of Enterprise, the opening credits were a good idea executed very poorly.

Not the song, of course. That song was a terrible, terrible idea. But the concept.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
Bashir is the weakest main character on DS9. Bashir being augmented by his parents doesnt show in the first couple seasons. There is a season 1 episode cold open that has Dax doing some mind exercise that keeps a shape together on a monitor. Dax says it is very hard to do, Bashir tries it and fails right away. When Bashir competes against Miles in hand ball, it is his youth and college experience not his enhanced mind or hand to eye coordination. If they writers knew he was an augment, it would of been fun to see him do feats of strength or mental aptitude and to explain it away as adrenaline or getting lucky.

Season 7 Bashir being love sick for Dax is also a waste of his character.

If I was to cut out episodes from DS9 most would be Bashir episodes and some of the "one-off" gamma quadrant alien episodes; not bad I only found 10 episodes I would cut

cutters
"Captive Pursuit" -- one-off alien with no real impact to the story
"move along home" -- one-off alien with no real impact to the story
"melora" -- Bashir plus one-off alien
"meridian" -- "boring to me" episode
"hippocratic oath" -- Miles is right, Bashir over acting here
"sons of mogh" -- they did Tony Todd wrong here; what happens when Kurn gets to Stovokor and they wont let him in because he is not who he thinks he is
"the muse" -- I wanted more Jake Sisco episodes, but not like this. Not like this.
"statistical probabilities" -- terrible bashir episode
"profit and lace" -- terrible gender episode; they could of brought back Pel, the female Ferengi from season 2 that had the 'lobes for business. Just a waste making quark play a lady.
"chrysalis" -- part 2 of terrible bashir and the augments

edit. I really liked the episode that Quark is trying to get Odo and Kira on a date so he can do an illegal gem deal in "the sound of her voice"
I would have super enjoyed Quark/Jake doing more together as Jake has become a bar fly. And Captain Sisco/Nog working together. Would of been a fun turn of events from season 1, Quark wants to keep Nog away from the Sisco's and Sisco wants to keep Jake away from the ferengi. I like that in season 6/7 Jake just hangs at Quarks and Nog is the go-to ensign.

edt. 2 ) I would of loved a "color of money" episode of Jake becoming a dom-jot hustler that gets taken by a veteran

No Luck Needed fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 19, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

How dare you get rid of the Uncomfortable X-Men episodes

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Captive Pursuit is good

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Third Shap!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Move Along Home is v good

Fight me

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
If Move Along Home had been in season 4 or 5 it'd be a classic don't skip episode.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

sunday at work posted:

If Move Along Home had been in season 4 or 5 it'd be a classic don't skip episode.

Move Along Home but the game pieces are Garak, Moogie, Weyoun (pick one) and Molly.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

No Luck Needed posted:

Bashir is the weakest main character on DS9. Bashir being augmented by his parents doesnt show in the first couple seasons.

Because they didn’t tell Alexander Siddig until the episode it happened in, over halfway into S5. He was annoyed by this because he said knowing beforehand would definitely have informed his acting and interpretation of Bashir.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

The_Doctor posted:

Because they didn’t tell Alexander Siddig until the episode it happened in, over halfway into S5. He was annoyed by this because he said knowing beforehand would definitely have informed his acting and interpretation of Bashir.

I think if I remember correctly, they also didn't tell him that he had been a secret Changling for like 5 episodes.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Powered Descent posted:

Move Along Home but the game pieces are Garak, Moogie, Weyoun (pick one) and Molly.

Garak would have loved everything that was happening around him.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

sunday at work posted:

Or a TOS episode.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Both Move Along Home and The Thaw should be honorary TOS episodes

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Data
Bob Wheeler
Patrick Stewart

I thought he was good in Threshold, although he was mostly playing Brent Spiner there, too.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Move Along Home isn't bad because it's silly, it's bad because it's boring. The characters really aren't developed enough for it yet, nor is it campy enough to really just go all out. It would've been better in pretty much any other show or season. (I watched it a few weeks ago and that was my takeaway from it.)

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Man, I'm watching voyager and the Q episode with the civil war stuff was really lazily written. I'm not one to usually complain about continuity issues, but it contradicts the main plots of multiple Star Trek episodes.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

The_Doctor posted:

jeeves posted:

I think if I remember correctly, they also didn't tell him that he had been a secret Changling for like 5 episodes.

wow ok the writers just didnt do the actor right, prob upset he got nana visitor

here is a funny picture as an apology

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Doesn’t he wear that in the flashback of one episode

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

No Luck Needed posted:

wow ok the writers just didnt do the actor right, prob upset he got nana visitor

here is a funny picture as an apology

I always thought that photo was from when they were shooting Violations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

I always thought that photo was from when they were shooting Violations.

It looks simmilar but I always thought the flashback wig looked way worse for some reason. Like there was something about it that you could just tell it was a wig.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

goons are probably right again

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

I assume they didn't tell him because they didn't write it yet. It really seemed like a thing that they made up because they wanted to find something for him to do other than being a horny doctor.

I guess there was also a bit of him being an idealist, but DS9 doesn't really like idealism, so it's not like he was the conscience of the show or anything. He was right to try to free the Gem Hadarr from slavery though.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

"Free the Jem'Hadar" always struck me as a Monkey's Paw sort of situation.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

SlothfulCobra posted:

I assume they didn't tell him because they didn't write it yet. It really seemed like a thing that they made up because they wanted to find something for him to do other than being a horny doctor.

I guess there was also a bit of him being an idealist, but DS9 doesn't really like idealism, so it's not like he was the conscience of the show or anything. He was right to try to free the Gem Hadarr from slavery though.

It feels more like a filler b-plot they wrote for an episode and didn't really think about how it fundamentally changed his character.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

No Luck Needed posted:

Bashir is the weakest main character on DS9. Bashir being augmented by his parents doesnt show in the first couple seasons. There is a season 1 episode cold open that has Dax doing some mind exercise that keeps a shape together on a monitor. Dax says it is very hard to do, Bashir tries it and fails right away. When Bashir competes against Miles in hand ball, it is his youth and college experience not his enhanced mind or hand to eye coordination. If they writers knew he was an augment, it would of been fun to see him do feats of strength or mental aptitude and to explain it away as adrenaline or getting lucky.

Season 7 Bashir being love sick for Dax is also a waste of his character.

If I was to cut out episodes from DS9 most would be Bashir episodes and some of the "one-off" gamma quadrant alien episodes; not bad I only found 10 episodes I would cut

cutters
"Captive Pursuit" -- one-off alien with no real impact to the story
"move along home" -- one-off alien with no real impact to the story
"melora" -- Bashir plus one-off alien
"meridian" -- "boring to me" episode
"hippocratic oath" -- Miles is right, Bashir over acting here
"sons of mogh" -- they did Tony Todd wrong here; what happens when Kurn gets to Stovokor and they wont let him in because he is not who he thinks he is
"the muse" -- I wanted more Jake Sisco episodes, but not like this. Not like this.
"statistical probabilities" -- terrible bashir episode
"profit and lace" -- terrible gender episode; they could of brought back Pel, the female Ferengi from season 2 that had the 'lobes for business. Just a waste making quark play a lady.
"chrysalis" -- part 2 of terrible bashir and the augments

edit. I really liked the episode that Quark is trying to get Odo and Kira on a date so he can do an illegal gem deal in "the sound of her voice"
I would have super enjoyed Quark/Jake doing more together as Jake has become a bar fly. And Captain Sisco/Nog working together. Would of been a fun turn of events from season 1, Quark wants to keep Nog away from the Sisco's and Sisco wants to keep Jake away from the ferengi. I like that in season 6/7 Jake just hangs at Quarks and Nog is the go-to ensign.

edt. 2 ) I would of loved a "color of money" episode of Jake becoming a dom-jot hustler that gets taken by a veteran

no watch Move Along Home specifically because it makes nerds on line so goddamned angry to think about

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i think dax is probably the weakest character of the ds9 group because she only develops a personality around s3 and all of the episodes around her are either an annoying romance or poorly executed episode about being a trill

i like bashir on his own merits but even if you dont, his interactions with miles and garak more than justify the character

edit: this is an unpopular opinion but i like basically everything about the genetic engineering component of his character except that they used it to justify him doing the now tedious star trek trope of instantly calculating insane odds and distances and poo poo

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 20, 2020

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Jadzia was best when she was sarcastic rear end in a top hat party girl. They really should have leaned into that more.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
every once and a while they use sisko or bashir to reference to jadzias personality as if its a static thing instead of totally arbitrary and its kinda funny

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The writers admitted that they had a hard time figuring Jadzia out. She was the Troi of DS9, in that they didn't know what to do with her that much. I'm glad they at least did episodes like Blood Oath where she gets to hang out with the legendary TOS Klingons.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

FlamingLiberal posted:

The writers admitted that they had a hard time figuring Jadzia out. She was the Troi of DS9, in that they didn't know what to do with her that much. I'm glad they at least did episodes like Blood Oath where she gets to hang out with the legendary TOS Klingons.

It's nuts, they came up with a character that was numerous characters and couldn't come up with anything for them to do?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Bilirubin posted:

no watch Move Along Home specifically because it makes nerds on line so goddamned angry to think about
What do people not like about Move Along Home? It feels like it makes for a good weird episode, plus, Quark groveling is funny.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

Brawnfire posted:

It's nuts, they came up with a character that was numerous characters and couldn't come up with anything for them to do?

That's the problem. Most of the interesting things about her are about the past hosts. Take away the symbiote and she's just a young junior officer that they didn't know how to develop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Jadzia was DS9's dedicated science officer and I for the life of me could not name a "Jadzia does science" episode

It's all Dax's past lives, Jadzia being a Klingonophile, or her (not interesting) romance with Worf which also falls under the former

I think she spends more time piloting the Defiant than being a science officer