Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Axe-man posted:

More Like Dukat was trying to help the poor savage Bajorans modernize, but they rejected his gift and spat at it!

I mean really the real crime is the lost chance for peaceful integration :smug:

My favourite scene with Weyoun and Dukat is where Weyoun says Earth ought to be destroyed and Dukat tries to convince him that no, you make your enemy admit that they were wrong and you're great, and it's not fair, he should have statues on Bajor, he did so much good for them, and while he's talking they show Weyoun staring at him like he's just now realising 'oh, he really *believes* all this, holy poo poo'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
If I could have a smug with cardi neck rigids, it will be Dukat at his best. The actor also is good enough for you at times, ALMOST believe him, and to me at least, that is the scariest part of Dukat. Not when he is an insane cult leader, but just almost able to convince you he was the victim.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
It's great fun both watching Dukat lose in humiliating fashion and occasionally pull one out and beam smugness across the alpha quadrant while Sisko glowers. The episode where they accidentally trigger the security lockdown is great because you get to see both.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Here's the scene I was talking about. Dukat consistently tries to use his greater height to be intimidating and Weyoun never notices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGVkAyJhetQ

Oh - Civil Defense is one of my favourite episodes just for the moment where Dukat has to ride out being embarrassed in front of everyone. And for the bit where Garak suddenly calls him out on his constant creeping on Kira and he acts like it's *outrageous*.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJGOSB9NkTY

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

happyhippy posted:

She did loving cause it though.
If she didn't go and save Saru's people in series 2, they would still be enslaved and not star faring.

Burnham is the cause of everything.
She was the one who hosed up the meeting with the first Klingon and caused a massive war.
She was the one who created the red signals and created Control as a by product.
She set it up so the Burn could happen as I said above.

I'm looking forward to how she ends up creating this 5 light year spanning intelligent black hole or whatever the gently caress it is.
And then is hailed a saviour again for fixing it.

The Burn wasn't a byproduct of Control???

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

HopperUK posted:

Oh - Civil Defense is one of my favourite episodes just for the moment where Dukat has to ride out being embarrassed in front of everyone. And for the bit where Garak suddenly calls him out on his constant creeping on Kira and he acts like it's *outrageous*.

"Garak, this isn't helping."

"No, but it's funny."

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

wh would you watch any trek made after 2 June 1999

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

HopperUK posted:

Here's the scene I was talking about. Dukat consistently tries to use his greater height to be intimidating and Weyoun never notices.

What's brilliant is the way the camera angle shifts at 0:40 so that after the failed intimidation Weyoun is 'taller' than Dukat.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Talking to someone about food, and I realised I can't not hear the word 'jambalaya' in Avery Brooks' voice. "JambaLAYa!"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Payndz posted:

Talking to someone about food, and I realised I can't not hear the word 'jambalaya' in Avery Brooks' voice. "JambaLAYa!"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

When you say it right, you only have to say it - once.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hammock time!

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I know the Runabouts are Sternbach as gently caress, but I’ve always loved them. The fact that their warp core is on the top spine of the ship is such a fun bit of technical care given to the thought of the thing, whereas the other shuttlecraft throughout the series are seriously just empty boxes without even air locks that somehow could do anything ever including ferrying people back and forth to conferences. gently caress man with their track record I wouldn’t get in one of those things ever, regardless of how good a TED Talk in a system over might be.

Not to mention the modular back room that was stolen to be Janeway’s ready room or something, so we only got to see it on the “Picard’s hand is like 6 months older than the rest of him” episode.

Seriously the runabouts should be the smallest things even possible to make warp speed, whereas other shuttles should just be for landing craft and don’t even need nacelles.

Edit - ha when they gifted Scotty with one they might as well have shot him off in a Spock coffin tube as the shuttle was only marginally roomier.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 9, 2021

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jeeves posted:

I know the Runabouts are Sternbach as gently caress, but I’ve always loved them. The fact that their warp core is on the top spine of the ship is such a fun bit of technical care given to the thought of the thing, whereas the other shuttlecraft throughout the series are seriously just empty boxes without even air locks that somehow could do anything ever including ferrying people back and forth to conferences. gently caress man with their track record I wouldn’t get in one of those things ever, regardless of how good a TED Talk in a system over might be.

Not to mention the modular back room that was stolen to be Janeway’s ready room or something, so we only got to see it on the “Picard’s hand is like 6 months older than the rest of him” episode.

Seriously the runabouts should be the smallest things even possible to make warp speed, whereas other shuttles should just be for landing craft and don’t even need nacelles.

Edit - ha when they gifted Scotty with one they might as well have shot him off in a Spock coffin tube as the shuttle was only marginally roomier.

They were always a bit inconsistent with whether or not shuttles were warp-capable, eventually settling on some being warp-capable and others not but doing little-to-nothing to differentiate them. The runabouts were far more interesting what with the extra room and the modularity.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Angry_Ed posted:

They were always a bit inconsistent with whether or not shuttles were warp-capable, eventually settling on some being warp-capable and others not but doing little-to-nothing to differentiate them. The runabouts were far more interesting what with the extra room and the modularity.

Also, you pop a little mini-torpedo launcher pod on top of one of those, and you got yourself a full fledged "Galaxy wing" able to take on this upstart "Dominion" head on!

What? One of their ships rammed the Galaxy and blew it up? I'm going to blame not strapping on more launcher pods at our debrief!!!!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Other things Benjamin Sisko also only says once:

“It’s a clock!”
“Isn’T IT POSSSSSible?”
“I created it and it’s reeeaaaaalllll!”
“Because I can live with it.”
“Hah!”
“What were you doing, regenerating?”
(In song) “Ain’t nothing like it here!”

Actually just watch this video list https://youtu.be/IjvYiSDJujA

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Angry_Ed posted:

They were always a bit inconsistent with whether or not shuttles were warp-capable, eventually settling on some being warp-capable and others not but doing little-to-nothing to differentiate them.

In theory shuttlepods are impulse-only and shuttlecraft are warp-capable, but they were inconsistent on that too.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I’m not going to lie, I really miss the old DS9 interstitial music on Greatest Gen. Especially Sisko hot sand feet yelp.

The Voyager ones just seem so low effort in comparison. Fitting, obviously.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

jeeves posted:

I always really liked the runabout design too. Like you said, you can really tell it was designed when the showrunners still cared about crossing the Ts and dotting the Is and generally making it a plausible ship within the fictional technology they'd established. There's also something pleasingly utilitarian about the design while still not being just "box with nacelles", and the interior set actually matches up with the exterior model really well.

Although it was always a little bit :rolleyes: that they got full-fledged starship "USS" designations and NCC numbers when they got treated basically as a motor pool.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

jeeves posted:

I think they did had a character look at a breakdown of the shuttle on TNG once, I wonder where the warp core went. Let me try to find it.

EDIT: Oh, interesting, they just have a fusion reactor. Makes sense, I guess, and then Runabouts are the smallest things with an antimatter core.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 9, 2021

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Kibayasu posted:

Other things Benjamin Sisko also only says once:

“It’s a clock!”
“Isn’T IT POSSSSSible?”
“I created it and it’s reeeaaaaalllll!”
“Because I can live with it.”
“Hah!”
“What were you doing, regenerating?”
(In song) “Ain’t nothing like it here!”

I’m also a fan of

Garak: This is extortion!
Sisko: ...Yes it is.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Powered Descent posted:

I always really liked the runabout design too. Like you said, you can really tell it was designed when the showrunners still cared about crossing the Ts and dotting the Is and generally making it a plausible ship within the fictional technology they'd established. There's also something pleasingly utilitarian about the design while still not being just "box with nacelles", and the interior set actually matches up with the exterior model really well.

Although it was always a little bit :rolleyes: that they got full-fledged starship "USS" designations and NCC numbers when they got treated basically as a motor pool.
The Runabouts felt like Star Trek's version of the Eagles from Space:1999 - utilitarian, modular and cool in a "this could be my personal spaceship" way as they don't need a big crew to fly them, but there's more to them than just a cockpit like an X-Wing or a tiny cabin like the Galileo. (They also both crashed a lot.)

Which BTW just made me wonder: why the hell did the Galileo need a crew of seven on its ill-fated mission, including the Enterprise's first officer/science officer, chief engineer and chief medical officer? What exactly were Bones and Scotty meant to be doing on an assignment to look at a quasar?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

jeeves posted:

I’m not going to lie, I really miss the old DS9 interstitial music on Greatest Gen. Especially Sisko hot sand feet yelp.

The Voyager ones just seem so low effort in comparison. Fitting, obviously.

The trouble is that they needed fan-sourced recommendations for the interstitials as neither of them knew Voyager well enough.

It’s similar to DS9, where a lot of the interstitials are from early episodes and slowly introduced as the series progresses (such as the Mornhammer). Hopefully better Voyager ones will appear once they’re more comfortable with their personal running jokes.

To be honest I’d like to see them re-edit TNG with proper interstitials rather than just using bits of The Picard Song.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Payndz posted:

Which BTW just made me wonder: why the hell did the Galileo need a crew of seven on its ill-fated mission, including the Enterprise's first officer/science officer, chief engineer and chief medical officer? What exactly were Bones and Scotty meant to be doing on an assignment to look at a quasar?

Probably fixing up the boat/crew in case the weird space poo poo they were investigating fried all their instruments and made them crash or something. A better question is why they bothered to bring anyone else.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I was convinced shuttles had no warp capability but turns out I was getting my lores mixed up and thinking of TIE Fighters

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Payndz posted:

Trying to find out if quasar radiation makes booze taste better.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I really liked the runabouts, and the fact you could definitely use one as a personal ship, living on it if necessary. What happens in a shuttle craft if you need the toilet? Is it under the bench? Does the other occupant then politely ignore you?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Paramount announced a Trek film release date for June 2023 but that’s all. No word on what the movie even is or who’s working on it.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

FlamingLiberal posted:

Paramount announced a Trek film release date for June 2023 but that’s all. No word on what the movie even is or who’s working on it.

JarJar's company producing, someone from DISCO writing: anyone wanna bet on its quality?

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

The_Doctor posted:

I really liked the runabouts, and the fact you could definitely use one as a personal ship, living on it if necessary. What happens in a shuttle craft if you need the toilet? Is it under the bench? Does the other occupant then politely ignore you?

Yeah, like sure a runabout's tiny compared to a big galaxy class thing, but it's like a yacht or fishing boat compared to a cruise liner or aircraft carrier. It's still a proper boat as opposed to shuttlecraft which are basically dinghies.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

FlamingLiberal posted:

there was a new writer reported for *a* Star Trek movie a few weeks ago, but not clear if this is the same one (for all I know, Paramount hasn't even decided what Trek project they're greenlighting yet)

https://deadline.com/2021/03/star-trek-movie-kalinda-vazquez-jj-abrams-paramount-1234706899/

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

HopperUK posted:

i love it because even during all of this its so obvious that dukat really wants weyoun to perceive him as such a wise and insightful person

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

HD DAD posted:

I’m also a fan of

Garak: This is extortion!
Sisko: ...Yes it is.

the way he kinda looks down and pretends to consider the accusation before just being like "yep" is so perfect

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Minidust posted:

I was convinced shuttles had no warp capability but turns out I was getting my lores mixed up and thinking of TIE Fighters

As soon as those TIEs jumped into hyperspace, I knew we were in for trouble in ROS.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Verviticus posted:

i love it because even during all of this its so obvious that dukat really wants weyoun to perceive him as such a wise and insightful person

Also mad props to Weyoun. Like in an earlier episode the augment squad have calculated everything out for why the Federation should surrender to the Dominion because it'll save lives and a rebellion originating on Earth in the future will create an even stronger Federation afterwards.

And here Weyoun's just casually saying they're going to depopulate Earth as soon as they win, completely dooming that entire concept.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

jeeves posted:

JarJar's company producing, someone from DISCO writing: anyone wanna bet on its quality?

Working now for release in two years? Some bad guy is going to have a big ship and will want revenge on Kirk/Spock/the Federation.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sash! posted:

As soon as those TIEs jumped into hyperspace, I knew we were in for trouble in ROS.

Huh, you made it farther than I did then.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Oh god don't get me started on my ROS rant; it's endless, you will beg for death.

seriously though why gently caress with old star destroyers with death star lasers the eclipse was RIGHT THERE

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Oh god don't get me started on my ROS rant; it's endless, you will beg for death.

seriously though why gently caress with old star destroyers with death star lasers the eclipse was RIGHT THERE

Colin Trevorrow getting fired and his original (and somehow infinitely better) script for Episode IX getting thrown in the woodchipper while still keeping the same iron clad release date meant that the movie that became The Rise of Skywalker had like half the production time as it should have. So every department had to scramble to create or repurpose assets (and if you want to get full on tinfoily, in some cases outright steal) on the cheap.

So the reason for the 10 billion Imperial-I's at Exegol is because Lucasfilm had an ultra high detail CG model of the Imperial-I on hand left over from Rogue One, so it was super easy to slap a big gun on it and copy-paste it enough times to fill up a movie screen. Creating a hero-quality model of the Eclipse in the time they had was utterly unfeasible.

Also JJ Abrams and Chris Terrio are hacks.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

Colin Trevorrow getting fired and his original (and somehow infinitely better) script for Episode IX getting thrown in the woodchipper while still keeping the same iron clad release date meant that the movie that became The Rise of Skywalker had like half the production time as it should have. So every department had to scramble to create or repurpose assets (and if you want to get full on tinfoily, in some cases outright steal) on the cheap.

So the reason for the 10 billion Imperial-I's at Exegol is because Lucasfilm had an ultra high detail CG model of the Imperial-I on hand left over from Rouge One, so it was super easy to slap a big gun on it and copy-paste it enough times to fill up a movie screen. Creating a hero-quality model of the Eclipse in the time they had was utterly unfeasible.

Also JJ Abrams and Chris Terrio are hacks.

Well that sucks!!!!!

It's funnier to blame everything on JJ Abrams though.

It just kind of bugs me because multiple aspects of the movie had essentially 1-to-1 replacements that already existed. "Sith Wayfinder?" why not a Holocron? Exegol, why not Korriban or any of the other established planets with mysterious deep Sith ties?

Ugh, that whole movie was such a loving mess.