Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

Star Trek has way too many one off bits of technology that never get used again. "We'll be out of phase, so I've rigged up these devices that will put up a skin tight force field around us." Why isn't that tech used all the time? Get a bigger power source and use that to shield everyone from phaser blasts like the Borg.

Worked in TAS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Star Trek has way too many one off bits of technology that never get used again. "We'll be out of phase, so I've rigged up these devices that will put up a skin tight force field around us." Why isn't that tech used all the time? Get a bigger power source and use that to shield everyone from phaser blasts like the Borg.

There's been about as much continuity since 1966 as a Silver Age comic book. The series bible they put out in '86 for Next Gen writers was the exception, not the rule. And even if it was, they immediately ignored it.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Data Graham posted:

It shows up veeeeeeeery occasionally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-FCYtxfDMw

As he's turning away jfc

Lol

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Apparently Shades of Gray is considered possibly the worst episode of the whole series so I'm glad I watched it just to know what that means.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
You're over the hump. I finished my re-watch the other week, and I kept getting consistently surprised by the quality of season 3.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

Man, everywhere is getting so mad about the designs in Discovery.

I don't knkw why, either. I mean I'm as cynical on the production as anyone, but I'm willing to give them a chance at least, and I don't mind that transporter set. Very '50s/'60s, which I can get behind. I'll take something interesting like that, in the spirit of what TOS might have looked like if they had the budget, over trying too hard to ape the actual TOS look.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I'm okay with the modern pseudo-retro look. At least it doesn't look as dark as the earlier pictures looked.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Zurui posted:

Discovery emulates JJTrek designs: OMG IT'S TOO MODERN WHAT ABOUT TOS

Discovery goes retro: OMG IT LOOKS LIKE poo poo

Those uneven cardboard-looking wall panels would have been an embarrassment in 1966:

Stylistically they're very different, but those wall panels just scream "low budget trash!"

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Maybe they're rotating or flagellating or something? I don't know, I'm posting from my phone so maybe it just doesn't look as bad on a smaller screen. I'm willing to wait on judgement until I see it in motion.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah I'm willing to bet that it looks much better on-camera.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'll wait and see what it looks like in motion. Things often look drastically different when they are moving vs when you can just stare at some press image and pick every nit.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

shadok posted:

I hate literally everything about it.

Same.

The_Doctor posted:

Proper TOS looking phaser hilt there.

But this I'll grudgingly allow.

The Bloop posted:

They intentionally made a prequel which is between two known visual style references and then apparently just went hog wild.

Pretty much this. If you didn't want Trekkies bitching that it doesn't look like "The Cage" (or the first minutes of JJTrek) then DON'T SET IT AT THAT TIME.

Madurai posted:

There's been about as much continuity since 1966 as a Silver Age comic book. The series bible they put out in '86 for Next Gen writers was the exception, not the rule. And even if it was, they immediately ignored it.

lol wut

TNG gave us the Okudas. It was when spergy fans blossomed into being behind the scenes on the show, and technical manuals and emcyclopedias went from fanon to Official Sources that were both sold in bookstores and used in the writer's room.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Cojawfee posted:

I'll wait and see what it looks like in motion. Things often look drastically different when they are moving vs when you can just stare at some press image and pick every nit.

The other thing to consider is that EW screencaps and photo shoots are notoriously poo poo, especially for a film magazine.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
It looks fine? :shrug:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

idgaf about Star Trek prequels anymore and it would take the new show looking amazing to get over that, and it doesn't.

They need to keep carrying forward the plot.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Don't forget that sound design is important too, so all the background hums and beeps and boops and such can help elevate otherwise weak visuals

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

dont even fink about it posted:

idgaf about Star Trek prequels anymore and it would take the new show looking amazing to get over that, and it doesn't.

I'm just going to flat out disagree with this. There is no "the plot" in Star Trek, and what IS there is really dumb and bad. I just Do Not Care about Alpha Quadrant politics and hanging around in Earth's back yard. If they ever make a post-Voyager show then they'd better go to Andromeda or one of the Magellanic Clouds or something.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Voyager and most of Enterprise (as well as other horseshit like Mass Effect Andromeda) have proven it doesn't loving matter where or when you go if you're not interested or able enough to tell new and interesting stories when you get there

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Firebert posted:

It looks fine? :shrug:

Please don't troll.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

dont even fink about it posted:

It really bothers me that they won't do this despite JJ Trek creating an incredible future to explore with the destruction of Romulus

GIMME MY ROMULAN SPACE PIRATES

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Tighclops posted:

Voyager and most of Enterprise (as well as other horseshit like Mass Effect Andromeda) have proven it doesn't loving matter where or when you go if you're not interested or able enough to tell new and interesting stories when you get there

I'm not disagreeing with this, but I am saying the TNG era is tapped out unless you want to reset somehow. Even by the end of TNG it was starting to become tech/particle of the week solving things, and Larry Niven they are not, by which I mean, most of the time there's no consistency or thought put into it. If they had the human element working for them then it could've worked still, as it did for TNG/DS9, but it got pretty ridiculous especially with Voyager.

So I guess if you want to soft reboot the TNG era with a core set of tech that's internally consistent, you could probably go on with "the plot" as it were. Maybe you could do something interesting, even. I'd be willing to give that the same shot I'm giving Discovery, although that's not saying much.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

It's weird to me that there is a fetishization of the Enterprise assignment patch in new Trek to the point that it is placed in designs where it doesn't even make sense while ignoring literally every other aesthetic feature of the original series. Granted, that aesthetic does not translate particularly well to contemporary media but to reduce it to that one symbol is absurd.

Then again, excessively emphasizing one characteristic is pretty much the way most new Trek characters are written so I don't know why I expect better.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm guessing that when they turned the assignment patch into the communicator, they completely forgot it is supposed to be different for each ship. Or they just didn't care and realized it would be too expensive to make new ones for each ship so they just made a poo poo ton of the one kind to have everyone use.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Given that all the non-Enterprise patches in TOS looked like utter poo poo, I'm happy to just quietly retcon that idea away.

(And they'd already used the Enterprise symbol on other ships in the movies before TNG came along...)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

I'm guessing that when they turned the assignment patch into the communicator, they completely forgot it is supposed to be different for each ship. Or they just didn't care and realized it would be too expensive to make new ones for each ship so they just made a poo poo ton of the one kind to have everyone use.

The Delta assignment patch in TOS was meant to be fleetwide for ships originally; designers got confused because Antares (as a merchant ship) had its own patch early on, so they gave Constellation and Exeter their own patches. Justman and Roddenberry then sent out a grumpy memo and Lexington and Defiant used the Delta.

It entered the collective trek consciousness anyway so Enterprise then retconned Defiant into having its own patch.

Like everything about TOS, it was incredibly inconsistent.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jun 23, 2017

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Epsilon IX had its own patch as well.

Using a unified patch makes sense; it's the use of it as a fabric pattern, for example, that strikes me as odd.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Starfleet Command had it's own patch too in TOS.

I quite liked the NASA-style patches in Enterprise.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Riker, you made lovely scrambled alien eggs. Nobody likes your cooking except for Worf.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

What do you reckon the transporter visual effect will be like

Blakes 7-style crayon outline

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Starfleet Command had it's own patch too in TOS.

A sucky one. Who wants to wear a flower as your space-logo.

If anything, though, this was the overall Starfleet logo in TOS:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Mirror Universe Boomerang Starfleet, headquartered in New South Wales.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Two Owls posted:

Blakes 7-style crayon outline

Needs that musical sting every time they beam down to a planet too.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

MikeJF posted:

A sucky one. Who wants to wear a flower as your space-logo.

If anything, though, this was the overall Starfleet logo in TOS:

Love that space dirt on the model

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

Love that space dirt on the model

Space is surprisingly dirty

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

http://trekmovie.com/2017/06/22/a-close-up-look-at-star-trek-discovery-uniforms-infographic/

They put way too much fiddly detail into something that's going to be airing on a service that has the video quality of 2006 youtube. Those rank pips are going to be unresolvable on CBS all-access.

Also, on behalf of all colorblind people everywhere, a sincere gently caress you for using metallic gold for one division and metallic bronze for another. At least the division is on the badge too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So, about that transporter.. from the article:

quote:

This particular transporter bay is aboard the U.S.S. Shenzhou and it's unlike any that Trek fans have ever seen before. So if you love this new design, great, it's in the show. If you don't, hold that thought, because the transporter bay in the U.S.S. Discovery is very different from this one (and has not yet been seen).

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

bull3964 posted:

http://trekmovie.com/2017/06/22/a-close-up-look-at-star-trek-discovery-uniforms-infographic/

They put way too much fiddly detail into something that's going to be airing on a service that has the video quality of 2006 youtube. Those rank pips are going to be unresolvable on CBS all-access.

Also, on behalf of all colorblind people everywhere, a sincere gently caress you for using metallic gold for one division and metallic bronze for another. At least the division is on the badge too.

quote:

These new uniforms appear to be the most intricate of any seen before in the franchise, either on TV or film; providing a particular challenge to cosplayers seeking to craft their own. Showrunner Aaron Harberts recently cited them as one of the reasons the show has been delayed; they flew a costume designer to Switzerland to get the fabric, and some of the detailing had to be custom-made using 3D printers.
:laffo:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Maybe it's the Battle Transporter.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I get the feeling that the Shenzhou is supposed to look more dated before we see the Discovery. A lot of what I am seeing looks somewhat similar to the NX-01 sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I think it's just that the Shenzou is meant to be an old ship with older technology to try to make the Discovery look more modern

Edit: ^^ yes