Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

The purple walls never fail to remind me of Andromeda's unlovable set design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

I get the feeling that the Shenzhou is supposed to look more dated before we see the Discovery. A lot of what I am seeing looks somewhat similar to the NX-01 sets.

Gonna blow that old poo poo the hell up because you just can't have modern Trek without contrived grief, even if only lasts five minutes (or one episode.)

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

They put way too much fiddly detail into something that's going to be airing on a service that has the video quality of 2006 youtube. Those rank pips are going to be unresolvable on CBS all-access.

The one thing you get used to when you first put on a military uniform is the way everyone you meet has to lean forward and squint to try and figure out your rank.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
In 2245, Starfleet turned its uniform design division over to an experimental artifical intelligence created based on historical records of Milwaukee County Sheriff David A. Clarke Jr. and the guy who created the Rhythm Nation costume for Janet Jackson.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

shadok posted:

In 2245, Starfleet turned its uniform design division over to an experimental artifical intelligence created based on historical records of Milwaukee County Sheriff David A. Clarke Jr. and the guy who created the Rhythm Nation costume for Janet Jackson.

Would not be the oddest thing to happen in Star Trek, I don't think it'd even breach the top ten.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It pisses me off that this will likely be 4k in Netflix markets and it will have Dolby Digital Plus sound.

Meanwhile, in the US, I would have to pay extra to watch it in 720p bitrate starved streaming on a 3rd rate provider, with low bitrate 2 channel audio that sounds worse than the first MP3 I ever listened to.

With commercials.

I haven't pirated media in over 10 years, but CBS is making a compelling case.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Burnham’s background is that she was the first human to attend the Vulcan Learning Center and Vulcan Science Academy – so she’s spent a lot of time on Vulcan, but she’s human. Sarek plays and important role in her life, which has been completely planned until she makes a difficult choice that sends her life on a very different path.

When we meet her, she’s the first officer on the starship Shenzhou. Burnham’s choice that we’re alluding to is the most difficult choice you can make – it affects her, affects Starfleet, affects the Federation; it affects the entire universe.

That choice leads her to a different ship, the USS Discovery, and there we begin what Gretchen and I call our second pilot.

[...]

It’s a serialized telling of a tale; an exploration of one particular character, Michael Burnam, along the path of discovering what it means to be human and finding her individuality.

Those types of stories have been really well told in the ‘Star Trek’ movies, but it’s been hard to do in the television iterations because episodes have been so closed-ended.

The joy is in the journey. The advantage to [Burnham] not being in charge of the bridge right now is we get to tell stories from a different point of view. It’s a fresh feeling because we’re not on the bridge all the time. We get access to more parts of the ship.

http://trekcore.com/blog/2017/06/new-hints-about-star-trek-discoverys-storyline/
Okay so that's the kind of poo poo I want to see in a Star Trek show. The same, patriarchal-style bridge crew setting over and over again is tired.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Once again Star Trek has predicted the future accurately:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-40379293
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-40364632

*~Gene's dream~*

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/man-sent-home-from-work-wearing-shorts_uk_594a5393e4b00cdb99cb8fc9

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/22/french-bus-drivers-skirts-dress-code-nantes

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

That wouldn't even look that out of place on the bridge

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

When I was in middle school we had a massive heat wave in April but the (public, non-uniform) dress code was that boys couldn't wear shorts until May 1st. Of course girls were allowed to wear skirts and despite the hypocrisy of this being pointed out to my principal by both students and parents, her mind could not be changed. So one of my classmates, one of the biggest guys, came to school in a very tasteful skirt. There were no disciplinary measures taken because...it was funny. However, we were then warned that no other boys should even think about doing it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
School principal seems like one of those jobs you should only have for 5 years or so. It really seems to just make the people doing it stupid eventually.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

TheScott2K posted:

School principal seems like one of those jobs you should only have for 5 years or so. It really seems to just make the people doing it stupid eventually.

Or it gives them powers beyond imagination

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Or it gives them powers beyond imagination

Oooh I just remembered that's coming back

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Watching the first episode of season 3, Evolution. The opening CGI and cinematography is already noticeably slicker, just like it was with the first episode of season 2.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Accidentally sleeping too late trying to pull an all-nighter is the most teenage thing Wesley's done in the whole series so far.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Holy poo poo is this where Hussie got the idea?

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Watching the first episode of season 3, Evolution. The opening CGI and cinematography is already noticeably slicker, just like it was with the first episode of season 2.

Are you sure you're not watching the remastered effects?

Also, season 3 is great. RIP Michael Piller.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

shadok posted:

Are you sure you're not watching the remastered effects?

Also, season 3 is great. RIP Michael Piller.

I probably am. I'm watching the 720p bluray version.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

But I looked it up on Youtube and the remastered and original versions still both have this

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I like the intense music that's playing as they're being sucked into the neutron star or whatever. I wish there was a way to listen to the track.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

There better be a good explanation for why all their controls stopped working.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
You can thank Ron Jones for that bitchin music. He'll be gone by the end of season 4.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

There better be a good explanation for why all their controls stopped working.

Starfleet engineering.

The same people who fill the panels with deadly plasma, so in case the ship gets shot, your ops console will kill you.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

It's not going to explain what happened to Pulaski is it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
She fell out of an airlock.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Beverly: "What were you doing at 17?"
Picard: "Probably getting in more trouble than Wesley."
Beverly: "So was I. Isn't that what 17 is supposed to be?"

I've been waiting for some kind of acknowledgement of this.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

It's not going to explain what happened to Pulaski is it.

She died on the way back to her home planet.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Beverly: "What were you doing at 17?"
Picard: "Probably getting in more trouble than Wesley."
Beverly: "So was I. Isn't that what 17 is supposed to be?"

I've been waiting for some kind of acknowledgement of this.

Season 3 definitely gets a lot better. And yes, Wesley's a loving neeeeeerd.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm so glad Wesley isn't in any of the movies

Talking of the movies I am rewatching First Contact and the beginning, up the point where they beam down to the planet/borg board the Enterprise...it kinda sucks

its like rushed

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Okay so that's the kind of poo poo I want to see in a Star Trek show. The same, patriarchal-style bridge crew setting over and over again is tired.
This also says that they are not going to stick to the Roddenberry Rule on characters so thankfully this should not be as bland as ENT or VOY.

Comparing those shots of the two captains in the article, the Shenzhou's bridge looks darker than Discovery's. So those early shots of a dark bridge that people were not happy about may just be in the first episode.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I like the intense music that's playing as they're being sucked into the neutron star or whatever. I wish there was a way to listen to the track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6Xnqm1H39c

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Phi230 posted:

Talking of the movies I am rewatching First Contact and the beginning, up the point where they beam down to the planet/borg board the Enterprise...it kinda sucks

its like rushed

He was in a deleted scene at the end of Nemesis.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

He was in a deleted scene at the end of Nemesis.
I think you mean at the beginning during the wedding, I know a lot of cameos got cut for that

Also apparently they wanted Seven of Nine to cameo originally but they ended up using Janeway instead

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Phi230 posted:

its like rushed

First Contact gets a lot done in that first ten minutes. A movie built around them finding out the Borg have a way to get to Earth quickly, with the space battle being the third act would have been great. Make Picard's Borg issues his central conflict, have him use that knowledge to defeat the cube in the end, and do it in a more clever way than "aim there!" Have the sphere disappear into the temporal vortex with the Enterprise in its wake, Enterprise sees assimilated Earth, :ohno:, END CREDITS. Then do the meat of First Contact in the next movie. Its would be TNG's equivalent of ST2-4 without it being a total loving retread.

Basically they burn through an entire movie at the start of that thing. Also the Enterprise E sucks.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Those are some top 80s synths.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Also apparently they wanted Seven of Nine to cameo originally but they ended up using Janeway instead

Yeah, Jeri Ryan mentions that in The Fifty-Year Mission. Berman calls her and asks if she's interested in doing the movie and she basically says, "Hell, no, I just spent four years in catsuit hell, I'm happy doing Boston Public, and there's no reason for Seven to be part of the story."

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think you mean at the beginning during the wedding, I know a lot of cameos got cut for that

Wesley was the only cut cameo. They tried to get Ashley Judd to reprise her role as Lefler but she had no interest for the money they offered.

Timby fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 24, 2017

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

TheScott2K posted:

First Contact gets a lot done in that first ten minutes. A movie built around them finding out the Borg have a way to get to Earth quickly, with the space battle being the third act would have been great. Make Picard's Borg issues his central conflict, have him use that knowledge to defeat the cube in the end, and do it in a more clever way than "aim there!" Have the sphere disappear into the temporal vortex with the Enterprise in its wake, Enterprise sees assimilated Earth, :ohno:, END CREDITS. Then do the meat of First Contact in the next movie. Its would be TNG's equivalent of ST2-4 without it being a total loving retread.

Basically they burn through an entire movie at the start of that thing. Also the Enterprise E sucks.

The whole "shoot the spot" seemed like a huge deus ex machina thing especially when they had an entire episode dedicated to being unable to cope with fighting a borg cube and another episode where like 50 ships die to a cube

they needed to get rid of the cube

IMO it should've just been a probe or something that was so small that evaded everyone and the Enterprise detects it and has to chase it, then into the time warp

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Had to take a break but I'm watching again. Wesley just said "gigabytes of computer memory," in awe.

How did you do this?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Ok but this time Picard's link to the Borg gives him the advantage. I don't think it's a problem.

Didn't Whoopi Goldberg have a cut Guinan cameo in Nemesis or am I crazy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ya hosed up Wesley