Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Mandatory retraining is great. A guy I knew went from being a cable dawg to manpower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/SethMacFarlane/status/878838773466808320

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
For a second I though that was the Discovery seeing as how we've seen jackshit of it since the lovely CGI trailer.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Someone probably put a lot of thought into making that surface look like it might actually have something to do with controlling whatever whoever sits there is doing, but one of the few (I think) perfect Trek things is that LCARs and the TNG panels may not make any loving sense, but they look so good for that aesthetic that I just don't think that rates.

Arglebargle III posted:

Why would you do this?

It has some cool parts and I always looked more fondly on it than most, thought I'd see what I think of it nine years later.

Orv fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 26, 2017

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

That looks somewhere between the new movies and TNG, right?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

It looks perfect.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Wow it has real words and it actually looks like it does something.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Evek posted:

For a second I though that was the Discovery seeing as how we've seen jackshit of it since the lovely CGI trailer.

Unlike Discovery, it was inspired by Star Trek.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I hope The Orville gets the Mcfarlane zingery poo poo out of its system fairly early

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Watching Who Watches the Watchers. It's from a few years after Watchmen but I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume the phrase was just bouncing around the cultural consciousness in the late 80s.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The subtitle thing is still happening.

GeordI: " But what I don't understand is why a three-man station would need a reactor capable of producing 4.2 gigawatts."
Subtitle: "But why does a three-man station need a 4.2 gigawatt reactor?"

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Apparently anthropology now includes the study of intelligent non-humans, which I find weird because the name just means "study of humans."

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Well the anthro team just got rekt during their video call with the Enterprise.

Maybe I shouldn't call them the anthro team.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

It was smart to have these Romulans openly talking about and displaying their emotions right away so we wouldn't mistake them for Vulcans. Wait no they're not Romulans are they? They're the Mandalklans that were being studied.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Watching Who Watches the Watchers. It's from a few years after Watchmen but I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume the phrase was just bouncing around the cultural consciousness in the late 80s.

It's based on a pre-existing latin phrase, though.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Well one of the Mandadklanpins just went up, saw all their futuristic equipment, and tased himself on it, now everybody's violating the prime directive. Oopsy daisy!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

thexerox123 posted:

It's based on a pre-existing latin phrase, though.

I know, I'm saying I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that the phrase was just in folks' psyche for whatever reason around then.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I love how the Maklandanlan shocking himself and being beamed up for medical treatment looked to his companion like he was loving shot and captured.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Did any of the actors wear corsets or were they all just good and slim for Starfleet uniforms?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Pulaski mention (but nothing about her whereabouts or anything that would indicate she was ever on the ship to begin with)

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Subjective POV shows how angelic Picard looks to everyone

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Okay I just realized this is an alien abduction story but we're the aliens. Memory wipe, waking up on the medical table, everything.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lol he remembers everything.

Oh, Picard looking divine was more intentional than I thought

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

:eyes:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Just occurred to me that we're Ancient Aliens

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

"The Picard"

Welp I'm calling him that from now on

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Just occurred to me that we're Ancient Aliens

We actually literally are iirc. I remember this astrophysics study trying to estimate how many life-supporting worlds the universe can create and how many of them it's created at this point. Apparently we're pretty close to the front end.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lol the Mintydankians found one of the researchers, I love how every single thing they do to try and maintain the prime directive is failing one after another.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I feel like I need to defend O'Brien, because he transferred to the job of Transporter Chief. The Ent-D had 20 transporter rooms (I'm not sure if that counted the cargo transporters). Even if you assume half of them aren't in operation at any given time that' still three shifts for 10 rooms for 7 days a week. O'Brien was in charge of at least 80 people. TNG's budget being what it is all of those people were always on special assignment in cetacean ops when the episodes were filming.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Did any of the actors wear corsets or were they all just good and slim for Starfleet uniforms?

Sirtis and McFadden wore corsets; Frakes began wearing a girdle in the ... fourth season, I believe. Might have been late third.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh poo poo it looked like Riker was gonna get

Orv
May 4, 2011
I hate Who Watches The Watchers. Troi-ish episode, dumb Prime Directive poo poo, bad actors.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

These dudes haven't believed in anything supernatural for millenia but they still don't have electricity or running water?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Counterpoint: Who Watches the Watchers is great and one of the best Prime Directive episodes.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Jeb! Repetition posted:

These dudes haven't believed in anything supernatural for millenia but they still don't have electricity or running water?

Because these things are definitely inversely correlated.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Just started DS9 S3 and before they even showed another Changeling, I had already suspected Dax, O'Brien, and Bashir of being changelings. in hind sight they were all in a simulation, but i was convinced

E: it was awesome that you think the A-plot is happening on the other side of the galaxy from the B-plot but it was really 100 meters away

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The acting's bad, sure, but I like how the episode is so straightforward in showing why the prime directive exists.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Our own history has examples of nontheistic religions and even outright atheism in the ancient world, they just didn't really take off. I don't see why they might not have had history developed differently.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Pakled posted:

Our own history has examples of nontheistic religions and even outright atheism in the ancient world, they just didn't really take off. I don't see why they might not have had history developed differently.

Yeah I guess I'm thinking in terms of the Enlightenment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Even in spite of the Mantanguran's bad acting I'm still empathizing with her being brought to what seems like a god's domain.