Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Transporter malfunction that just straight up kills somebody instantly

Oh sounds like it was sabotage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Whoa, both of them are really dancing aren't they

Gates McFadden came onto TNG as a pretty well-known dance choreographer, Spiner probably had a double though

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
Gates danced the entire time (I believe she choreographed it as well) - but Spiner gets doubled at some point and it's pretty obvious as I recall.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

IIRC, Gates McFadden was. She was a choreographer before TNG.

efb; beaten like Worf when a new threat shows up

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Gates McFadden is a choreographer (and puppeteer) and did all the choreography and her own dancing. I think Spiner did everything but that one overhead shot.

edit: whole lotta nerds in this thread I see

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Data mentioning Sherlock holmes again :allears:

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Gates was the director of choreography and puppet movement on Labyrinth.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
Just watched the sequence again and yeah the Data double is in the overhead shot as well as one kinda 3/4 shot that was waaaay too close to hide the doubling

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Dun dun DUN

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

CaveGrinch posted:

Just watched the sequence again and yeah the Data double is in the overhead shot as well as one kinda 3/4 shot that was waaaay too close to hide the doubling

Yeah, that's what tipped me off, but I assume it was less obvious at 480i.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's one part of the sequence where it's just a closeup of Data's feet and that's where I figured out they were probably using a double

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

"The safest and most logical decision in this situation is to contact Starfleet and await further instructions. However, based on past experience, I project only a 17% chance Captain Picard will choose that alternative."
Picard: "Red alert."

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Wait why is Data the "father of the bride." Am I forgetting some continuity here

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Episode over. I like how it ended with the night watch and the light dimming so it really was a "day." Other things I didn't have time to mention:

- I was kind of expecting when Data was learning to waltz by watching Crusher's feet, on his first try he would start walking backwards away from her because that's what she was doing.
- >yfw Data will never call you a lunkhead

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

jeeves posted:

I think the guys at Greatest Gen do a really good job of pointing out just how loving loveless and terrible O'Brien's relationship to Keko is. Like right from when she is introduced in Data's Day, no one really can understand how the gently caress they are even getting married?

I love how Keko was basically eventually written out of DS9 for that reason. Colm seems like a cool dude as a real person, but I wonder if the writers just secretly hated him or something and wanted to put him through poo poo-- I know that even became a yearly trope in DS9.

I always figured this was because 90s TV writers automatically default married couples to a version of The Honeymooners.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Wait why is Data the "father of the bride." Am I forgetting some continuity here

I'm 90% certain they introduced Keiko in this episode, so I'm pretty sure you're not missing any continuity.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Platonicsolid posted:

I always figured this was because 90s TV writers automatically default married couples to a version of The Honeymooners.

"One of these days, Miles... oooh, one of these days... bang, zoom, straight to the moons of Rigel VII!"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

McNally posted:

I'm 90% certain they introduced Keiko in this episode, so I'm pretty sure you're not missing any continuity.

Yeah, it's her first episode.

The part of Keiko that hits home for me, having lived in Asia for a while, is in DS9 how she refuses to eat anything that isn't Japanese.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

DS9 strongly implies that Keiko and O'Brien have a lot of sex. While they can't actually show it, many if not most domestic scenes between them head in that direction only for O'Brien to be comically interrupted. As a kid I didn't notice it much but as an adult I guess the show implies that they have a more intimate side that we don't get to see. It's a fun comedy bit too.

In Tribunal they all but turn to the camera and say "we are going to gently caress in this chair RIGHT NOW" but as a kid I never noticed lol.

Then Cardassians show up and cockblock O'Brien because of course they do.

In Whispers O'Brien gets suspicious when Keiko won't have sex with him even though Molly is gone. This is before the meatloaf I think. So nerds either don't pick up on that scene or ignore it for "Keiko is a bitch" narrative.

Funny enough Colm Meaney played a sex guru in a period comedy in the 90s too.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Aug 22, 2017

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I have to imagine that off-camera, the O'Briens are a normal, healthy couple and the reason we only ever see them when they're having arguments is because in the minds of the TNG/DS9 writers, couples arguing creates drama and good TV while normal, healthy couples are boring. Kinda the same deal with Worf and Jadzia.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Keiko is just a terrible domineering person. She gets mad when O'Brien won't bone down after she turns into a child. O'Brien eats up all the weird seaweed and tofu or whatever the hell that meal she made was, but he mentions something from his culture and she's all "Oh gross, that's disgusting, I will never eat that."

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I meant to say that on camera they're more affectionate than a kid watching this in the 90s might have realized.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I could believe that the sex is mindblowing enough to make up for the problems at the dinner table, that seems fairly consistent with what we see

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You get the sense watching them that Keiko uses grumpiness to express that she wants attention which is like the least implausible thing in Star Trek.

Also Keiko was written off of DS9 and onto Bajor because Rosalind Chao wasn't always available.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Aug 22, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I could believe that the sex is mindblowing enough to make up for the problems at the dinner table, that seems fairly consistent with what we see

Yea I think they hatefuck like rabbits and that's the glue keeping them together.

:j: "You're a worthless transporter chief!"

:v: "And you're a domineering bitch!"

:j: "RAVAGE ME!"

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Don't forget Keiko gives up her career that was established on TNG in order to follow O'Brien after his promotion. She's not super happy living on the station and her husband is chronically overworked so she's raising a toddler practically alone while doing a full time job on some loving alien space station where things are always exploding and her husband is abducted at least once every year. And they still have sex twice a week. Give the woman a break!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, it's her first episode.

The part of Keiko that hits home for me, having lived in Asia for a while, is in DS9 how she refuses to eat anything that isn't Japanese.

I have a friend like that but it's partially because she's lactose intolerant and we put cow juice in everything.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

She gets mad when O'Brien won't bone down after she turns into a child.

Remember Keiko is Japanese, so this is just a cultural difference.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Remember Keiko is Japanese, so this is just a cultural difference.

:drat:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I think MisterBibs mentioned this a few pages back, but if any of you bums are fans of the Greatest Generation and get a chance to catch one of their east coast tour shows I highly recommend it. I just got back from the Boston show a little while ago and it was a blast. Honestly kind of worth it for the totally pointless but shockingly nice challenge coin alone.

Was also a little bit mindblowing how many people actually showed up for a live Star Trek podcast.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Timby posted:

I'm not sure Turnabout Intruder really even counts. Were series finales really A Thing back in 1969?

Turnabout Intruder is one of the most TOS-y episodes ever filmed.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
The next episode of TNG is a good one. It introduces my favourite starship and my favourite facial hair.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Sad King Billy posted:

The next episode of TNG is a good one. It introduces my favourite starship and my favourite facial hair.

A couple great O'Brien moments too. It's a really underrated episode.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
I've started watching enterprise... I don't hate it so far

edit: startrek enterprise

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

yeah actually they will posted:

I've started watching enterprise... I don't hate it so far

edit: startrek enterprise

Just Enterprise. They didn't want to call it Star Trek because Star Trek is for nerds. Later when they realized nobody was watching the show anyway they added the Star Trek bit back.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

skasion posted:

Just Enterprise. They didn't want to call it Star Trek because Star Trek is for nerds. Later when they realized nobody was watching the show anyway they added the Star Trek bit back.

I still want to know how they convinced themselves there was an audience that was going to watch a show about the crew of the starship Enterprise dealing with Klingons and Vulcans and Andorians and Romulans, but would be turned off by the Star Trek name...

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
TOS
TAS
TNG
DS9
VOY
ENT

STD

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Consult your doctor if your CBS All Access subscription persists for more than four hours.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I'd go with DSC for the obligatory TLA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zurui posted:

I'd go with DSC for the obligatory TLA.

That's probably best, yea