Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Paradoxish posted:

I think MisterBibs mentioned this a few pages back, but if any of you bums are fans of the Greatest Generation and get a chance to catch one of their east coast tour shows I highly recommend it. I just got back from the Boston show a little while ago and it was a blast. Honestly kind of worth it for the totally pointless but shockingly nice challenge coin alone.

Was also a little bit mindblowing how many people actually showed up for a live Star Trek podcast.

I want at the Boston show too and even though I showed up when doors opened it was already packed.

They did a great job with crowdwork and the show was hilarious and on point. Between that, the tacos and porch beers I enjoyed while watching A++++

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

ST:DLC

Zurui posted:

I'd go with DSC for the obligatory TLA.

ST: TOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Abbreviation for Discovery? Easy.

Star Trek Disco.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

STD is what I see people using

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
What exactly is Star Trek Discovery discovering? Because having STD as your acronym better be worth it. Before knowing a thing about it people have already associated your show with herpes, gonorrhea, and AIDS. The mail guy who's there on an internship could've made this marketing breakthrough.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
They're discovering the upper limits of how much people care about Kirk and Spock

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

at this point, I think I'd prefer a continuation of Star Trek: Enterprise even if they had to have completely different actors playing the same characters

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I know it breaks formula, but jeez ST:D would even be better. It even looks friendly!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DIS is the official shorthand they're using at CBS. M-A is using DSC.

Edit: or maybe it's the other way around. Either way, STD is only being used by the internet, which is stupid, because we don't use STV or STE.

Timby fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 22, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What if someone discovers some voyager DVDs in a couple hundred years but they got all scuffed up so it just say VGER.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Timby posted:

Edit: or maybe it's the other way around. Either way, STD is only being used by the internet, which is stupid, because we don't use STV or STE.

It's because those aren't funny

Also because STV looks like the marshmellon movie

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Enterprise season finale was something of a dud, but I know they didn't really have time for something better.

And I was wrong earlier: I'm actually in season 3 of Voyager, not 4. I just started 3:20 "Favorite Son," saw Better Call Saul's Howard Hamlin as the alien and had to come here to laugh about it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Lincoln posted:

Enterprise season finale was something of a dud, but I know they didn't really have time for something better.

And I was wrong earlier: I'm actually in season 3 of Voyager, not 4. I just started 3:20 "Favorite Son," saw Better Call Saul's Howard Hamlin as the alien and had to come here to laugh about it.
Most of the main characters on that show guested in some ST series at one point or another.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Bloop posted:

ORV - they wish they had these ratings

I am pretty great.

Cojawfee posted:

What if someone discovers some voyager DVDs in a couple hundred years but they got all scuffed up so it just say VGER.

Same thing happens; everybody panics, then several hours of confusing imagery, then it's over.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

galenanorth posted:

at this point, I think I'd prefer a continuation of Star Trek: Enterprise even if they had to have completely different actors playing the same characters

Wait. How long do Andorians live? Can we still have Shran?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Pretty sure their life span is fairly similar to humans.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It would be great if every Star Trek race lived for a couple hundred years except Humans. Star Trek needs at least one race that can say "You'll be dead before I even learn your name."

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Man you guys and your ability to go to Greatest Gen live shows.

Each time they do a live show I get the impression it will be their last tour. They like complained for a few minute straight about how overworked they felt from this current tour in one of the recent episodes.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lincoln posted:

The series finale? They got the fourth season by the skin of their teeth and were told at the outset that unless the ratings skyrocketed back to first / second season levels (which everyone knew was never going to happen) that it would be the final year.

The "official" cancellation came later, but Berman, Braga and Coto all knew this was it. That's why Coto wrote Terra Prime as "his" series finale: He was positive Berman would come gently caress around and insist on ending the show himself, and he was right.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Cojawfee posted:

Star Trek needs at least one race that can say "You'll be dead before I even learn your name."
El Aurians (Guinan's people) live for many hundreds of years. Thanks to the Borg there are probably not many left though. Soran was the only other named one.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

FlamingLiberal posted:

El Aurians (Guinan's people) live for many hundreds of years. Thanks to the Borg there are probably not many left though. Soran was the only other named one.

DS9 had this guy too.

Kind of a shame, the idea of an El Aurian con artist is pretty cool, but the episode he was in was pretty unremarkable.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Lincoln posted:

Yeah they did. They could have just stopped after the episode just prior to the finale and it would have been a better send-off.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The TNG episode where the Enterprise kids get kidnapped, one of the kids is scared about having to do more calculus. Jesus christ kid, you're like, nine, what kind of accelerated program are you on?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Orv posted:

The TNG episode where the Enterprise kids get kidnapped, one of the kids is scared about having to do more calculus. Jesus christ kid, you're like, nine, what kind of accelerated program are you on?

It's the 24th century, man. If you aren't studying the mathematics of quantum neutrino fields by the time you get your first pube you'll never make it into starfleet.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

The Bloop posted:

It's the 24th century, man. If you aren't studying the mathematics of quantum neutrino fields by the time you get your first pube you'll never make it into starfleet.

You'd think the kids would be pudgier, eating so many wonton burrito meals.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

The Bloop posted:

The mathematics of wonton burrito meals. I'll be there!.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

The mathematics of wonton burrito meals. I'll be there!.

Like a balloon and...something bad happens! :ohdear:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
A guy I dislike just revealed he's a big TNG fan, so I'm probably gonna skip all of seasons 6 and 7 except the must-watch episodes.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jeb! Repetition posted:

A guy I dislike just revealed he's a big TNG fan, so I'm probably gonna skip all of seasons 6 and 7 except the must-watch episodes.

:catstare:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jeb! Repetition posted:

???

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Relax, relax, everyone, Jeb is joking.

You..you are joking, right, Jeb!? :ohdear:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Too late, the damage is already done. You are 5/7ths that guy.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Orv posted:

This is one thing I dislike about TNG. There's a sense, at least in the early episodes, that they start drilling advanced math and science into kids' heads from a very young age. There are probably some benefits to that, but they don't let kids be kids. Your average nine year old doesn't need to be concerned with integration and derivatives, but cartoons, recess, and long division.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

That's the rookie move.

The pro move is to go beyond and embrace DS9.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Season 7 is mostly really dire, you're not missing much there. S6 has some good stuff though. Relics, Chain of Command, Face of the Enemy, Tapestry, the Kahless one, the Tom Riker one...on the other hand, it has Aquiel.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

This is one thing I dislike about TNG. There's a sense, at least in the early episodes, that they start drilling advanced math and science into kids' heads from a very young age. There are probably some benefits to that, but they don't let kids be kids. Your average nine year old doesn't need to be concerned with integration and derivatives, but cartoons, recess, and long division.

Clearly being "better humans" means to be "more asian". ;)
But yeah, putting more intellectual pressure on children also never looked very advanced/utopian to me. I know it was supposed to show that kids in TNG are supposed to be more intelligent/educated than your average kid today but they went the wrong way about it.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

It's probably totally unrealistic, but I assume the idea was that teaching methods have gotten so advanced that they've found the perfect way to teach things and it doesn't take as long, or whatever.

I mean, there's one TOS episode where Uhura gets her brain completely wiped, but already relearns basic language by the end of the episode and is 100% normal in the next one, so...

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't find it so implausible that our imperfect meat brains have some sort of undiscovered backdoor that you can use to impart knowledge rapidly, and that the utopian society in star trek uses it to teach rather than to dispense advertising/propaganda

Like, it's far from the most implausible thing happening in an average Star Trek episode

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

He does if he ever wants to find a job in this economy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

skasion posted:

Season 7 is mostly really dire, you're not missing much there. S6 has some good stuff though. Relics, Chain of Command, Face of the Enemy, Tapestry, the Kahless one, the Tom Riker one...on the other hand, it has Aquiel.

Well I'll watch any episodes folks recommend. I just wouldn't be as entertaining during mediocre episodes because I don't have much to say about them (see my posts during seasons 1 and 2).