Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Was this last episode supposed to be allegorical to the “puzzle” of Encounter At Farpoint? Because that would rule if it was intentional.

It's allegorical to Cetacean Ops.

"Lay in a course Mister Crusher, Warp 9"
"Aye sir" *presses a switch to nipple-clamp screaming dolphins in the depths of the ship*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

McSpanky posted:

Dude, no way you lasted through seasons 1 and 2 but you're tapping out now.

I can believe it. I find seasons 6 and 7 to be increasingly dull (especially 7) and one of my friends did a "haven't seen this poo poo in over ten years re-watch" last year and actually enjoyed going through the first couple of seasons; she got bogged down around season 6, but eventually powered through it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CaveGrinch posted:

But Data’s “oh poo poo” was totally cool.

Because it was funny and out of character. That Discovery scene felt like a blatant "Look what we can say now that we're off cable!" I'm not some conservative prude who's totally against sprinkling the occasional gently caress or poo poo into Star Trek, but at least make an effort to use it organically. That scene ended up being a sophomoric hiccup in an otherwise serious episode.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
Really dug the whole "let's recap the entire asinine plot as a logic exercise" scene. It felt like watching actors begrudgingly starring in their friend's first play or some poo poo.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Because it was funny and out of character. That Discovery scene felt like a blatant "Look what we can say now that we're off cable!" I'm not some conservative prude who's totally against sprinkling the occasional gently caress or poo poo into Star Trek, but at least make an effort to use it organically. That scene ended up being a sophomoric hiccup in an otherwise serious episode.

Enlightened 23rd century humans have no clue how to actually curse.

"Double-dumb-rear end on you, and so forth."

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Drone posted:

Enlightened 23rd century humans have no clue how to actually curse.

"Double-dumb-rear end on you, and so forth."

Double-dumb-rear end on you was hilarious and data's oh poo poo was earned. You know he'd been practicing vulgarity with holodeck versions of Howard Stern and Andrew Dice Clay or something and with the emotion chip engaged he's like a kid who hasn't learned when NOT to swear. It was a TV to movie transition thing too. I posted in the STD thread but the "gently caress" was a huge tonal misstep, probably the least trek thing that's happened yet in the show, and a disappointment. It wasn't earned or particularly funny. It was pointlessly jarring.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Mirror Burnham is a man named Michelle

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

XboxPants posted:

Imagine a world where they just push that poo poo right through, dump Lorca out into space, and make Saru the captain within the next two episodes. I'd live in that world.

Man, if Saru doesn't become Captain...

Please don't Space Lorca though, let him become a desperate Wild element, separated from the federation and consumed in his quest to warrior on.

Make him a Dukat type.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Bloop posted:

Double-dumb-rear end on you was hilarious and data's oh poo poo was earned. You know he'd been practicing vulgarity with holodeck versions of Howard Stern and Andrew Dice Clay or something and with the emotion chip engaged he's like a kid who hasn't learned when NOT to swear. It was a TV to movie transition thing too. I posted in the STD thread but the "gently caress" was a huge tonal misstep, probably the least trek thing that's happened yet in the show, and a disappointment. It wasn't earned or particularly funny. It was pointlessly jarring.

They're gradually ticking off all of the "we're a mature prestige drama on premium cable streaming now" boxes so I'm expecting an extended full-frontal sex sequence of questionable morality before the midseason break.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

McSpanky posted:

They're gradually ticking off all of the "we're a mature prestige drama on premium cable streaming now" boxes so I'm expecting an extended full-frontal sex sequence of questionable morality before the midseason break.

More human-centric thinking, thinking everyone keeps their genitals in the front. :rolleyes:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

McSpanky posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Star Trek: SHAME SHAME SHAME SHAME

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Moriatti posted:

Man, if Saru doesn't become Captain...

Please don't Space Lorca though, let him become a desperate Wild element, separated from the federation and consumed in his quest to warrior on.

Make him a Dukat type.

I mean, it's probably fair to say that Lorca is gonna be a one-season captain. He's the foil on which Michael regains her credibility (and morality/humanity/whatever) and provides the audience with some cathartic antifascism, and she will replace him as CO.

At least, that's my hope. :ohdear: As much as I like Jason Isaacs, I feel like that writing is on the wall.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah I don’t see him around past this season.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Drone posted:

replace him as CO

Seems likely somehow but in-universe it seems like total bullshit to Saru

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah I don’t see him around past this season.

I don't see this show around past this season.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

I don't see this show around past this season.
Why not? Are there any numbers on how popular it is?

It's gotten fairly good reviews, and anecdotally I know a lot of people who I had no idea were into Trek who have been talking about it.

I know internet nerds are up in arms about it in some places, and I expect CBS all access to be really depressing viewing numbers, but I haven't heard anything that makes me imagine it's not going to carry on.

Not to unduly disparage internet nerds- they're the only ones who typically think DS9 was the best Trek after all- but shows are hardly continued or canceled at their whims.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
There will probably be a season 2 I think. Kurtzman and Les Moonves have both sounded pretty hopeful about it.

CBS' goal is to get 4 million All Access subscribers by the end of the year and 8 million by 2020. Before STD they allegedly had 1.5m, and now have over 2m and are "on track" for 4 million by year end but I haven't seen any actual subscriber numbers. That's not great sign but it's something, they will probably think they can improve on whatever they have currently got unless they lose a dramatic amount of subscriptions soon. Since the earliest they can have a new season on air is 2019 apparently, I think they will mostly likely give it another shot at least. Season 1 was apparently mostly funded by Netflix's international rights so they may figure they haven't lost anything on it yet and might as well try to improve viewership.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They grew 500,000 out of the 2.5 million they need, and they think momentum is just gonna carry that through?

Uh, that's not how it works. People subscribe to catch something at the beginning, not in the middle. If anything their subscriber numbers will nosedive after the first eight episodes and then pick back up when the latter seven come out.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Well I mean, what is Moonves gonna say? "Sorry guys, we failed streaming content, guess we better go back to the business model based exclusively on senior citizens"? It seems to me that a big part of the appeal of online-exclusive shows to these big media corps is that it allows for a good bit more number fudging, unlike say Enterprise where anyone could go online and see that nobody was watching the lovely show. As long as Moonves feels like "projecting" higher viewer numbers out of his rear end without losing too much money, seems to me like the show can keep going.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
They're so late to this whole game that I doubt they're going to talk about much of anything publicly. Everything about this whole production, including the streaming model just screams "THIS AINT YER DADDY'S CBS" in the most embarrassing and transparent way possible. Who knows, they might just cargo cult their way into a sustainable business model, but I'm not holding my breath.

CBS is pretty uniquely hosed here as well. NBC is already owned by Comcast and ABC is owned by Disney, both of whom have decent digital strategies already and can afford to lose money on both those brands until they get their poo poo together.

CBS is just CBS. They're panicking, and they should be.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hell, having an anchor show with middling, declining ratings didn't stop UPN.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

McSpanky posted:

Hell, having an anchor show with middling, declining ratings didn't stop UPN.

Didn't it? or is :thejoke:

It would have stopped them a lot sooner if they tried to charge a subscription fee to watch homeboys in outer space and voyager.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

skasion posted:

Well I mean, what is Moonves gonna say? "Sorry guys, we failed streaming content, guess we better go back to the business model based exclusively on senior citizens"? It seems to me that a big part of the appeal of online-exclusive shows to these big media corps is that it allows for a good bit more number fudging, unlike say Enterprise where anyone could go online and see that nobody was watching the lovely show. As long as Moonves feels like "projecting" higher viewer numbers out of his rear end without losing too much money, seems to me like the show can keep going.

He's gonna say "an expensive scifi show with Game of Thrones level budgets didn't get us the growth we wanted, so we're going to try people-talking-in-rooms shows instead."

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

He's gonna say "an expensive scifi show with Game of Thrones level budgets didn't get us the growth we wanted, so we're going to try people-talking-in-rooms shows instead."

Unironically I hear the show did surprisingly well with a second season on its way next year.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Meanwhile, in the world of modding, Stellar Parallax, the team behind beloved Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion mod Star Trek: Armada III and the recently-cancelled Stellaris mod Star Trek: Infinities have announced their new project. They've returned to Sins and have turned Infinities' lemons into lemonade with a mod series entitled Ages of the Federation. For the first installment, they have announced The Four Years War, a mod that ironically spans the breadth of time from Enterprise to the beginning of TOS. At present, it looks like a revision of their old aborted Axanar: Strategic Operations mod, in which battles will turn on individual ships rather than massed fleets. They've announced that the mod will primarily focus on the conflicts between the Federation, Klingons, and Romulans, and that they'll be drawing more from Axanar and TOS for their design aesthetics than Discovery (feel free to argue about that last one). For myself, it sounds pretty interesting, but I'll be waiting to hear if they ever put that "Lost Era" (post TOS movies to pre-TNG) mod that was rumored many moons ago.

Grammar-Bolshevik
Oct 12, 2017
My hot take is Saru is neat, the klingons are a bit off, Michael doesn't really appeal to me as a character, the captain is nuts, the redhead is annoying, the plot is obvious, the dialogue isn't terribly interesting, and at times is sorta bad.

Gonna still give it a shot.

It seems a bit less philosophical with commentary than previous iterations of Star trek though.

I guess they are just setting up, or
Maybe I'm dumb an I dont get it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The most recent episode was significantly better. They actually had some focus on other characters and some Trek-like story beats. Hopefully not an aberration.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Grand Fromage posted:

The most recent episode was significantly better. They actually had some focus on other characters and some Trek-like story beats. Hopefully not an aberration.
Akiva Goldsman said a few weeks ago that this show is supposed to show the growing pains leading up to TOS.

We have already had a couple of episodes in a row now that both advance the overall season story arc, but also stand on their own as complete stories. It's beginning to come into its own. It's a hell of a lot better than the first 5 episodes of any other Trek series so far.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Yeah, that latest episode felt like Trek to me more than ever. Sacrifice, courage, camaraderie, a the weight and choices of command... a doctor being like "It's sentient do no harm!!1" Yeah, that's the stuff. When I saw that stupid waterbear go like "oh I'm home again byyeeeee" I was like yeah, okay. Yeah.

It's obvious, true. I think I'm enjoying this slow burn, however; they're trying to tell a story arc, while having singly thematic episodes with cheeky titles, and building up from war and despair to... Kirk, Spock, the Enterprise. That's ambitious, I'm strapped in for this.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

skasion posted:

CBS' goal is to get 4 million All Access subscribers by the end of the year and 8 million by 2020. Before STD they allegedly had 1.5m, and now have over 2m and are "on track" for 4 million by year end but I haven't seen any actual subscriber numbers. That's not great sign but it's something, they will probably think they can improve on whatever they have currently got unless they lose a dramatic amount of subscriptions soon. Since the earliest they can have a new season on air is 2019 apparently, I think they will mostly likely give it another shot at least. Season 1 was apparently mostly funded by Netflix's international rights so they may figure they haven't lost anything on it yet and might as well try to improve viewership.

All Access will be a failed platform, but CBS always has the existing relationship with Netflix to fall back on. DIS is presented as a Netflix Original Series outside of the United States anyway, and I'm sure it wouldn't be too great a leap (logistically/legally) to just flip the switch and allow DIS to be shown on there within the US as well. Netflix would, of course, have to pay for the pleasure, but DIS is getting pretty good reviews and it would probably be a win for them.

Edit: actually I'd love to see analytics info on how well Discovery is doing on Netflix in foreign territories than on All Access. Trek has always had a very strong foreign audience, but this might actually be the first time it's got higher overseas ratings than domestic, by virtue of being on a platform people actually use alone.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

skasion posted:

CBS' goal is to get 4 million All Access subscribers by the end of the year and 8 million by 2020. Before STD they allegedly had 1.5m, and now have over 2m and are "on track" for 4 million by year end but I haven't seen any actual subscriber numbers. That's not great sign but it's something,

Keep in mind a whole lot of people signed up for trials to watch the start of Discovery and then got a free month when they chose not to continue to a full subscription. I would lay odds numbers are about to drop precipitously.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

I finished my first watch-through of TNG last night. The series finale was pretty good and I legit got teary-eyed at the last scene. Gonna watch the premier of DS9 tonight!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

PenguinKnight posted:

I finished my first watch-through of TNG last night. The series finale was pretty good and I legit got teary-eyed at the last scene. Gonna watch the premier of DS9 tonight!

If you had the tolerance to get through TNG seasons 1 and 7 without skipping it probably isn't necessary, but in case you care, the more-or-less universally agreed really bad episodes in DS9 are:

Melora
Meridian
The Muse
Profit and Lace

So those are safe to skip. If you find season 1 a bit boring (no shame in that, it doesn't really find its feet until season 2) you can skip a few more forgettable but not terrible episodes but that probably isn't necessary for a TNG veteran

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

So those are safe to skip.

No!

You must watch and EXPERIENCE BIJ

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Keep in mind a whole lot of people signed up for trials to watch the start of Discovery and then got a free month when they chose not to continue to a full subscription. I would lay odds numbers are about to drop precipitously.

My parents had an All Access subscription because of Big Brother. I asked them if it was still active if I could leech off their account to watch the new Star Trek. Turns out they meant to cancel and forgot when Big Brother was over. I'm thinking this is pretty much the plan for why there's a mid-season break in a streaming-only show, simply hope that people forget to cancel their subscriptions.

So yeah, last Sunday's episode is probably the last I'll have access to for now. I'll just wait and binge through the series with a free trial once it's all out if I hear it keeps getting better.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Meridian aka "I heard a show called Brigadoon existed and haven't actually seen or read it, but I'm going to make an episode about it. This wise centuries old alien is going to fall madly, desperately in love with a dude who's opener is "Do those spots go all the way up?"

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

If you had the tolerance to get through TNG seasons 1 and 7 without skipping it probably isn't necessary, but in case you care, the more-or-less universally agreed really bad episodes in DS9 are:

Melora
Meridian
The Muse
Profit and Lace

So those are safe to skip. If you find season 1 a bit boring (no shame in that, it doesn't really find its feet until season 2) you can skip a few more forgettable but not terrible episodes but that probably isn't necessary for a TNG veteran
You forgot "Let He Who Is Without Sin...," the episode even the writers, directer, and showrunners all agree was a huge mistake.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

cheetah7071 posted:

Melora
Meridian
The Muse
Profit and Lace

Definitely skip The Muse, Meridian, and Melora. They are terrible in all ways. But Profit and Lace has it's moments.
Or maybe I am just too forgiving of DS9 Ferengi episodes.

Marshal Radisic posted:

You forgot "Let He Who Is Without Sin...," the episode even the writers, directer, and showrunners all agree was a huge mistake.

This episode is bad, but it has good character growth for Worf.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

i didn't skip a thing for TOS and I didn't skip a thing for TNG. All or nothing :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

PenguinKnight posted:

i didn't skip a thing for TOS and I didn't skip a thing for TNG. All or nothing :colbert:

Exactly.

You need the pain of a Meridian to make you truly appreciate the sweet pleasure of a In The Pale Moonlight.